Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

CD Projekt Red

Company »

CD Projekt RED is a Polish developer best known for The Witcher franchise.

CD Projekt RED Waves Goodbye to DRM

• 131 results
    spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

If anyone pirates The Witcher 3 I will personally find you and punch you in the mouth.

How awesome is this? Finally, a developer that seems to have our interests in mind and is looking at these issues in an intelligent way. Lets not fuck this up.

I like being trusted.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I like the way Marcin thinks, he gets why piracy occurs and why DRM only does more damage, he's thinking outside the box rather than being brutish about it.

Vitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Vitz

This whole thing reminds me of GTA IV, which has FOUR layers of DRM if you buy it on Steam. SecuROM, Games For Windows Live, Rockstar Social Club, and Steam. Last time I decided to play GTA IV, I spent at least 30 minutes just getting the game to boot. Eventually I gave up, downloaded a crack and had the game up and running within 2 minutes. Absolutely preposterous. I contacted Rockstar about this ridiculous debacle and didn't even get a response.

I salute CD Projekt RED and support all that they stand for. I happily paid for The Witcher 2, and will be doing so again for The Witcher 3.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's nice to see that there are some people out there who understand the piracy situation and the (non)effect of DRM.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@darkdragonmage99 said:

a company making the same argument i've been making for years and people called me crazy.

Well, if you stopped waving a bloody hatchet around, maybe they'd stand still long enough to hear your point.

das9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'm in love

;_;7

stenchlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@stenchlord said:

@patrickklepek: I enjoyed the article but I kind of feel like perhaps you could have asked some better questions. I'm not a journalist so I can't say what or how but I feel like there should have been questions asked that didn't lead to Marcin Iwinski just reiterating points he'd made in prior questions.

I asked for a Skype interview but was turned down due to Marcin's schedule, so that's why there aren't follow-ups that don't have him treading familiar ground.

Ah fair enough, I take it you just sent him a single email with the entire list of above questions and then he replied in a single email?

Amerika_KC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I don't get is that Steam is not DRM. Why do people keep saying Steam is DRM? You can buy plenty of games that do not require Steam to play after you download them. Oh, and before some of you say that just requiring Steam in the first place is DRM is like saying you need to log in to gog.com to download your titles.

Steam has Steamworks which has OPTIONAL DRM. They could choose not to use it at all. But they aren't. The only thing that makes sense as to why they would be doing this is to try and shine more of a light on the GoG version for the DRM-free crowd. Which is fine but this just wreaks of being sleezy though. I like CDPR and I loved The Witcher games and I am looking forward to part 3 and the upcoming Cyberpunk game but this is sort of bullshit.

Why are game journalists who should know better not picking up on this?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@tennmuerti said:

Great interview.

Iwinski came off really surprisingly strong in this, to the point, no repetition, no going off topic, no mewling about, straight dumping! This is the most confident sounding interview I've read that anyone gave Patrick so far. It might be down to the format, I would be really interested in comparing it to an audio version, if there is one.

He mentioned it was an e-mail conversation.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@snail: Ah I must have missed that.

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By SpecTackle

@chose: You're making counterpoints to claims I never made, and addressing none of the points I did make. Sounds about right.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'll be getting the witcher 3 on gog.com on day 1 for sure. cheers.

SAPDADDY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Such a refreshing attitude and outlook and because of that, I bought Witcher 2 off GOG when it was released even though I didn't even have a PC that could run it back then!

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#116  Edited By Brackynews

Salient interview. Well done.

ZironZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I buy everything on steam when I can, but lets be honest here, after a certain point the only way to play many games is to either buy them second hand or pirate them. Many, many, many, many games would be forever lost and forgotten if it wasn't for emulation and piracy. Sure, some stuff gets re-released on services like GOG and Virtual Console, but lots of good games are no longer available for purchase in ways that actually benefits the developer/publisher. I feel like without piracy vast amounts of gaming history would be lost and never be able to be enjoyed widely by younger gamers.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@troll93 said:

@masterrain said:

If you ONLY release a steam version, that requires steam saying 'OK' to run, isn't that un-piratable? I guess they'd crack it and fake the steam authentication? I just hate that you have to give in to pirates, feels like we lost.

These are my thoughts exactly as far as the feel of the DRM-free argument to me.

How is making a DRM-free version "giving in to pirates"?

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Probably gonna buy and gift Witcher 2 again this holiday sale, great game and a great company.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@troll93 said:

@three0nefive said:

@troll93 said:

@masterrain said:

If you ONLY release a steam version, that requires steam saying 'OK' to run, isn't that un-piratable? I guess they'd crack it and fake the steam authentication? I just hate that you have to give in to pirates, feels like we lost.

These are my thoughts exactly as far as the feel of the DRM-free argument to me.

How is making a DRM-free version "giving in to pirates"?

I make no illusions about it, it is an irrational position, but it often 'feels' wrong to me when they basic say that "well, there is no winning, may as well not even put protection in". I have no problem with humble bundle drm free or things to that feel, but there is some line that gets crossed at some point that crosses me the wrong way. None of this makes any logical sense, hence it is just a feeling for me. I don't know if this explanation makes any sense, but if something doesn't really follow any sound logic, it is hard to give a good description for it.

Can't say I understand it, but you're certainly entitled to feel that way I suppose.

Quint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#122  Edited By Quint

If any Development Studio in the Games industry deserves your hard earned cash it's these guys, a beacon of light in an increasingly greedy, corrupt industry.

Godmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

What do you think it would be like if they uploaded a copy of their own game to pirate sites, but with several textures (which you wouldn't see until you've played the game for an hour or two) swapped with text that says "Please don't pirate our game!". I think that would be pretty funny, and wouldn't punish people who got the game from legitimate sources.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#125  Edited By Undeadpool

@markmack said:

<3 The Witcher

But man, I remember The Witcher 2 running like crap on my computer when it was first released.

Likewise, it's good to know that wasn't ENTIRELY on them cause I also remember buying the Witcher 1 literally a DAY before the Enhanced Edition was announced. That game did NOT run well until that came along (which also added a LOT of content, re-recorded almost every voice sample, often with DIFFERENT actors, and, oh yeah, 100% FREE)

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

DRM is very similar to other restrictive regulations, like harsh gun laws and the like: it punishes the legal, legitimate and well-meaning customers and doesn't stop those that are willing to sidestep it anyway. In some cases, harsh DRM encourages more piracy and makes a company lose customer loyalty.

Piracy ultimately benefited the music industry by breaking up scummy practices by big labels and giving room to a broader spectrum of distribution. Music quality has blossomed in the past decade or so as well. I can see the same thing starting to happen already with games too. Not the piracy itself, but the response to it and the need for more flexibility, more transparency, easier access to the software and treating the customers with respect.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

nice to see someone in the industry finally gets it.......... and when i say gets it, i mean they REALLY get it.....

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#129  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

@zironz said:

I buy everything on steam when I can, but lets be honest here, after a certain point the only way to play many games is to either buy them second hand or pirate them. Many, many, many, many games would be forever lost and forgotten if it wasn't for emulation and piracy. Sure, some stuff gets re-released on services like GOG and Virtual Console, but lots of good games are no longer available for purchase in ways that actually benefits the developer/publisher. I feel like without piracy vast amounts of gaming history would be lost and never be able to be enjoyed widely by younger gamers.

That is a totally different discussion from the "regular" discussion about piracy. I remember I really really wanted to play Evil Genius a while ago. And there was no way at that point for me to actually play the game. I didn't pirate it but if anyone told me he did I would not be surprised nor would I judge it.

If I had pirated it I would have payed for the game as soon as it appeared on Steam/GOG though.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

DRM is very similar to other restrictive regulations, like harsh gun laws and the like: it punishes the legal, legitimate and well-meaning customers and doesn't stop those that are willing to sidestep it anyway. In some cases, harsh DRM encourages more piracy and makes a company lose customer loyalty.

Piracy ultimately benefited the music industry by breaking up scummy practices by big labels and giving room to a broader spectrum of distribution. Music quality has blossomed in the past decade or so as well. I can see the same thing starting to happen already with games too. Not the piracy itself, but the response to it and the need for more flexibility, more transparency, easier access to the software and treating the customers with respect.

Pretty much this. Piracy is not cool, and any legal means to fight it should be explored, but never should the burden fall upon legitimate users. This right here is why I almost exclusively buy digital games DRM-free (GOG, Indie Game Stand and the like) and only buy full-price games on console/on disc. I don't feel punished for buying games this way, so that's how I spend my cash.

The problem with the game industry, much like the music industry before iTunes, is the core belief that everyone should be treated like a pirate. Remember the Sony rootkit fiasco a few years back? As long as that's the driving philosophy behind games' publishers, piracy will continue to be better for many games than legitimate purchase, and that's ass-backward.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I think it's weird how Patrick's questions get them to repeat themselves so much. But hey, I'm not interviewer. Maybe CBSi demands those word counts.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#132  Edited By zaccheus

Why on earth should pirates have a better user experience than gamers who paid their hard earned money for our game?

Marcin Iwinski

And there it is.

No Caption Provided

infectedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean you can't stop piracy it will always be here.

Igottadeuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of Nintendo's business in remaking or re-releasing games and bringing back old characters is based on releases few people initially played, but the end result was a surge in popularity due to piracy.

kafu288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A reason for piracy he missed their: the region-based overcharging for a downloaded copy of a game. There is no reason why it should cost me $40 more to download a game because I live in Australia compared to America.

PATJASA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great games and great developers need to be supported. Definitely getting TW3

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.