Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

CD Projekt Red

Company »

CD Projekt RED is a Polish developer best known for The Witcher franchise.

Cyberpunk 2077 or full fledged Ciri game in half of the time, CD Projekt RED closes after.

• 61 results
    liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Poll Cyberpunk 2077 or full fledged Ciri game in half of the time, CD Projekt RED closes after. (538 votes)

Cyberpunk 2077 (I like the Witcher series) 75%
    Cyberpunk 2077 (I don't like the Witcher series) 8%
    Ciri game 8%
    Why are you doing this to me? 10%

Here is the scenario:

Quality can't be assured on either projects but we know for sure CDPR can make the heck out of a Witcher game. Whenever you think Cyberpunk is going to come out, chop that in half, that's when Ciri's game would come out and it's as fully formed as The Wild Hunt. We're also assuming they've been working on it as long as Cyberpunk. Studio closes after, no more games from them, goodbye to the other game.

I quite liked Ciri and wished W3 had more of her in it. When I beat W3, I just wanted a Ciri game and that's still kinda what I want. I also haven't really been paying attention to the little info there are about Cyberpunk.

Which would you choose in this scenario? Are you optimistic about Cyberpunk? Does the mystery of a new IP outweigh your love of the Witcher?

• 
    bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This is easy for me. I love cyberpunk settings and wish more games actually engaged with them (instead of just using them as backdrops for arcade shooters.) A huge cyberpunk RPG is kind of a dream project for me. I'm all the way hyped. The fact that it won't arrive until 2020 is kind of perfect.

Having a game I would probably enjoy or even love but that isn't nearly as exciting in half the time is not attractive, especially if the studio closes after. If you offered me multiple games (like a 3 part Ciri series or whatever) then I might be tempted but for one of my most anticipated games of all time I am willing to wait.

Xdeser2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Xdeser2

So, theres a moment in the Witcher 3 that might shed some light on it. The scene contains some pretty big mid game spoilers, though. Nevertheless, I would much prefer Cyberpunk. They've made three Witcher games at this point, and while they've constantly improved and the last 2 are great games, the wells a bit dry. Geralt's story was wrapped up well enough, and If you've finished 3, I think its fair to say that you really cant make a game based on Ciri after that. I'd love to see what CD Projekt can do in a different setting, now that they have a much larger studio, a lot more money, and a good amount of clout with publishers.

It's pretty heavily implied that Ciri visited the world of Cyberpunk at some point in her travels with Avallach, so there's likely going to be some Easter egg in Cyberpunk. Ciri's wildly different endings also preclude a game focused around her in the future, considering that she could be dead, empress of Nilfgaard, or a Witcher.

https://youtu.be/wQ6A3GvEVo0?t=2m11s

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ezekiel

I prefer the cyberpunk genre over The Witcher. Witcher 3 had a fairly dull story. The Witcher series didn't have good controls, and I found Ciri bland and too skimpily dressed. She was overpowered, with her lame teleportation.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyberpunk for sure. It's better they do something new than go back to the Witcher well they've visited 3 times already. Someone has to carry the torch now that Deus Ex is seemingly dead again.

Also, the Witcher 3 was a pretty big downgrade in the writing department from 2, and Ciri was certainly a large part of that. If there were to be another Witcher game, I'd want it to have next to nothing to do with the events and characters of the third game.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pretty much sci-fi over fantasy for me 99% of the time but I guess the Witcher is the one fantasy series I like. People seem to have a lot of faith in CDPR and I think their great but I'm super cautious about Cyberpunk 2077.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm interested to see what CDPR can do within the 'create-your-own' character narrative space. I also am very keen to see how they manage the more off kilter classes from Cyberpunk within a video game structure rather than tabletop.

As much as I love The Witcher, seeing what CDPR can bring to the industry outside of that franchise will be very interesting to me.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Witcher 3 is, at this point, the best game I've ever played. I could probably play more Witcher forever.

But CDPR is a developer at the top of its game. At the top of anyone's game, really. There's no telling how high they could go. And doing something new, challenging themselves, is the only way we'll find out.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see what CDPR can do with another world and genre. The Witcher series was closed out perfectly regardless.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I reaaaally want to see what they can do with the Cyberpunk universe, but I'm on board with whatever they do as long as they keep making single-player RPGs and giving a crap about the consumer.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

ROAD LESS TRAVELLED YO

ps sci fi > fantasy

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I love the Witcher, while a Ciri game would be awesome, I'd like to finally see CDP Red in another setting/universe, so I voted Cyberpunk (Like the Witcher).

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Im kinda more a fantasy guy but i dont have any special love for Ciri and i do want them to make a passion game again and not just start milking a franchise so i go for Cyberpunk.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dan_CiTi

I love Witcher 3 to death, easily one of the best games of its kind I have ever witnessed. That being said, I want that know-how and experience behind them to build another game that can learn a lot of lessons from TW3. Cause damn if Cyberpunk is has the scale/craft of TW3 but in that universe? PLEASE AND THANK YOU! If it is anywhere near the caliber of The Witcher 3 I cannot see it as anything other than a slam dunk. I'd love to see those people give their sci-fi muscles some flexing.

GuitarGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i love witcher 3, but i don't need another game, and i def. don't want a ciri game

i'd rather cdrp focus on something fresh and new, there aren't a lot of cyber punk themed games, so thats another reason i'd rather them work on something different

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ciri's a giant mary sue. Nothx

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Witcher 3 and would absolutely play a Ciri game if they made it, but Cyberpunk 2077 has a lot more potential. That Ciri game would probably just be The Witcher 3.5.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ares42

Tbh, I don't see the appeal of a Ciri game. Maybe it's a book thing and she's a really interesting character, but from a gameplay perspective she's really boring. Like they would have to go Witcher Ultra Mega Power Edition for there to be anything interesting about it, and that's not what appeals to me about that universe.

Also, I'm really interested to see what they'll be able to do with a different massive franchise like Cyberpunk. If we can get a real honest-to-god good sci-fi RPG game that could easily become an instant classic and possibly open up some more people to branching out beyond the classic fantasy setting.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Witcher series is great and all, but the fantasy genre has been done to death. I'd take Cyberpunk 2077 just on the strength of it being something new.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really care for The Witcher either way, but absolutely Cyberpunk.

With Mass Effect dead now, nobody is left making big budget sci-fi RPGs. And I really want to see what CDPR can do in that setting. It's also a clean break for them to get away from any hang overs that TW series might have.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@ezekiel said:

I prefer the cyberpunk genre over The Witcher. Witcher 3 had a fairly dull story. The Witcher series didn't have good controls, and I found Ciri bland and too skimpily dressed. She was overpowered, with her lame teleportation.

This is the funniest thing I've read all day.

MrBGone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ciri will have at least a cameo in Cyberpunk

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I loved Witcher 3 but I kind of have no interest in a CDPR Ciri game. I really disliked her characterisation in the game. Admittedly, a large part of that comes from the fact that it feels like she regressed in growth from the end of the books and I understand why CDPR would want to minimize the need for people to have read the books. However, that still doesn't change the fact that I'm totally not interested in their version of her. I am, however, incredibly excited to see what they can do with a cyberpunk story.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ezekiel

@alexw00d said:
    @ezekiel said:

She was designed for obvious sex appeal, like everybody else. Of course she wears high heels, despite what she does. Of course her bra strap is visible. (Did bras even exist then?) Of course you can see the middle of her bra through the sloppily buttoned blouse.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By AlexW00d

@ezekiel said:
    @alexw00d said:
    @ezekiel said:

She was designed for obvious sex appeal, like everybody else. Of course she wears high heels, despite what she does. Of course her bra strap is visible. (Did bras even exist then?) Of course you can see the middle of her bra through the sloppily buttoned blouse.

No she was designed as a teenage girl (she's 19) and thus she dresses appropriately for that. There's a line in the game about her showing a bit of cleavage, and it's because she prefers people looking there instead of the great ruddy scar on her face. Tiny bit of bra being show counting as too skimpy is still the funniest thing though dude. Don't be such a prude.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel said:

(Did bras even exist then?)

Did bras even exist when? During the time when manticores existed? Because buddy, if you're worried about historical accuracy in the Witcher I have a lot of very very bad news for you. You're probably going to want to be sitting down for this and maybe have a stiff drink ready...

I think there are a lot of perfectly good reasons to object to Ciri being provocatively dressed including internal logic of the fiction and oversexualization of female characters in games, but I am not sure that historical accuracy is one of them.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Redhotchilimist

I'm more interested in seeing what they are gonna make on their own with no fiction to hold them back, especially in terms of gameplay design. I would be very disappointed if cyberpunk just means third person shooting, to put it like that. I wanna see some rocket hammers at the very least, Battle Angel Alita style.

@bigsocrates:I don't agree with ezekiel on this specific hangup, but I don't think "there are manticores here, so why do you care about a bra" is that compelling an argument. Just because the Hobbit has a dragon in it doesn't mean it wouldn't be out of place if one of the dwarves wore a pair of sneakers.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redhotchilimist: Combat is definitely one of the main things in Cyberpunk I'm warily about. I think that's where CDPR most struggles and even if I think they didn't get there with W3, they were headed in the right direction. Starting from scratch, I do think the combat will end up being a throwaway part of the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel the criticism are overblown when it comes to Witcher 3's combat, I wonder if these are the same people that praise games like Horizon Zero Dawn or if they have the same qualms as to the combat in that.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

] Just because the Hobbit has a dragon in it doesn't mean it wouldn't be out of place if one of the dwarves wore a pair of sneakers.

Sneakers are different, because their manufacture and design uses totally different materials than present during the time. Ciri doesn't have like elastic on or anything like that. Things somewhat like bras have existed since the time of the ancient Greeks at least, and in games like this (or the Hobbit) we see all kinds of anachronstic stuff, especially in architecture and engineering where a lot of stuff that didn't exist back then is not noticed because we don't really think about those things.

If we go down this road it leads to "why does everyone have great skin and white teeth" and all the rest of it. I expect most media set in the past to have somewhat anachronistic elements so this stuff doesn't generally bother me, but it especially doesn't bother me in games about monsters and magic. Sneakers would be different because they're so different in design and materials that they have a lot more implications than an anachronistic garment made out of time appropriate materials.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tothenines: I do think Witcher combar is fine, I will say it doens't hold up under the 80-100 hours the main game last and then another 30-40 for the dlc. It is fine, but an oke combat system is stretched quite a bit with such a length game. Hell, I think better combat systems might suffer when you have to engage with them for that long.

Viqor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love The Witcher, the whole game series and the short stories and novels, and I love Ciri as a character, but come on: Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be something new and exciting. CDPR spent nearly 10 years with The Witcher and delivered 3 outstanding games and stood behind their products with great, meaningful updates and some of the best DLC I've ever played. That's not to say that I wouldn't be excited to hear about a new Witcher game, but if they could only make one more game: better to go out swinging for the fences: go out on Cyberpunk.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the Witcher series, I have played (but not finished) every game in the series. I'm absolutely dying for CDPR to use their incredible talent for creating something that's not set in a medieval fantasy world. I think that's the most boring and overused setting in video games no matter how dark and gritty you make it, so Cyberpunk can't come soon enough for me.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

They've given us more than enough Witcher...

Let's see what else they can do.

Considering how dark, broke-down and ugly The Witcher was (beautifully ugly), it really feels like they will be the ones to "do Cyberpunk right" at this scale.

Call me in a few years when we know more! :D

von_wemberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks to my complete ignorance to anything happening in The Witcher 3 (have read the first Witcher book and played the first game, still slowly going through the second one) I thought this was a choice between Cyberpunk 2077 and a Siri game. Cyberpunk has a higher chance of having a storyline about Siri, so I choose Cyberpunk 2077.

ImGrifter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ImGrifter

I think Witcher 3 should be the end if the series. Great franchise, but I'd like to see what else they can come up with. Cyberpunk sounds crazy ambitious and the setting is way too good to pass up.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ezekiel

@alexw00d said:
    There's a line in the game about her showing a bit of cleavage, and it's because she prefers people looking there instead of the great ruddy scar on her face.

That's a good reason. The high heels are still silly. I also still don't accept bras in that time period.

"In Europe, in the Middle Ages it was exceptional for women to restrict or support their breasts"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_bras#Middle_Ages

I'm guessing it was worn by a few with big, heavy breasts, probably higher class.

It would be so strange if one of the women in the many nude scenes of Game of Thrones wore a bra.

Avatar image for bicycle_repairman
    Bicycle_Repairman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Ciri game 100%.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@ezekiel said:
    @alexw00d said:
    There's a line in the game about her showing a bit of cleavage, and it's because she prefers people looking there instead of the great ruddy scar on her face.

That's a good reason. The high heels are still silly. I also still don't accept bras in that time period.

"In Europe, in the Middle Ages it was exceptional for women to restrict or support their breasts"

I'm guessing it was worn by a few with big, heavy breasts, probably higher class.

It would be so strange if one of the women in the many nude scenes of Game of Thrones wore a bra.

lol not to take this minor tangent into a bigger conversation, but neither GoT nor The Witcher take place in the past. It's not the middle ages or any other time period! It's an alternate universe. When and why they may or not conceive of bras has nothing to do with our history. Adding any one element (dragons, elves, magic, alchemy) which exists in those universes to ours would alter history in millions of ways, so, what's the detail of having bras? Probably the most damning thing about most fantasy universes is how their "Tech Tree" is so similar to ours when there are many reasons for that not to be case. In my opinion, if you are building your own world - do whatever you want within the limits of your world's context. It's why I'm still surprised more games don't have many moons in their skies! :D

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel said:
    @alexw00d said:

lol not to take this minor tangent into a bigger conversation, but neither GoT nor The Witcher take place in the past. It's not the middle ages or any other time period! It's an alternate universe. When and why they may or not conceive of bras has nothing to do with our history. Adding any one element (dragons, elves, magic, alchemy) which exists in those universes to ours would alter history in millions of ways, so, what's the detail of having bras? Probably the most damning thing about most fantasy universes is how their "Tech Tree" is so similar to ours when there are many reasons for that not to be case. In my opinion, if you are building your own world - do whatever you want within the limits of your world's context. It's why I'm still surprised more games don't have many moons in their skies! :D

Lol, both Game of Thrones and The Witcher try to be historically accurate, because it's historical fantasy, heavily using our past as inspiration. It's part of making the world feel authentic. Bras are complex pieces of clothing, which is part of the reason it took so long for them to become common use.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyberpunk is something I'm so excited for, much more than any possibility of another Witcher game. Part of that is that I kinda don't want any more Witcher stuff, part of that is that I'm a bit burned out on fantasy in general right now but I'm always down for more cyberpunk. Ciri is totally one of the best characters in TW3 though.

Cyberpunk (the game, not the genre) isn't a new IP, though. It's a tabletop RPG system and world designed Mike Pondsmith, who, from my understanding, is very involved with CDProjekt and Cyberpunk 2077, which is adding to my excitement. Not that I don't trust CDPR to faithfully work within Pondsmith's world. I think they did a really amazing job translating The Witcher's setting into video games. It just, to me, shows a level of commitment to the general world and tone of Cyberpunk, and hopefully wont lead to another situation like CDPR seems to have with Andrzej Sapkowski.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@ezekiel said:
    @geraltitude said:
    @ezekiel said:
    @alexw00d said:

Lol, both Game of Thrones and The Witcher try to be historically accurate, because it's historical fantasy, heavily using our past as inspiration. It's part of making the world feel authentic. Bras are complex pieces of clothing, which is part of the reason it took so long for them to become common use.

I seem to remember Triss talking about cancer and biology like she was a college student in The Witcher 2. They didn't know what the fuck cancer was in the Middle Ages. The technology level in The Witcher 3 is not remotely equivalent to any point in our history. You're also making the assumption that all societies progress through technology the same way when there's plenty of evidence that they don't (the Incas and Mayans and other ancient American civilizations never invented the wheel). In any case, there's no reason why a society that has magic, trebuchets, knowledge of cancer, tons of books, and a city as massive as Novigrad couldn't also have invented something resembling a bra at some point.

As to the original comment that kicked off this particular sub-discussion, I have no idea why you think Ciri is skimpily dressed. Somewhat provocative? Maybe? A little tight? But no more so than Triss's outfit in The Witcher 2, and that lady cast a spell that stripped her butt-naked before hopping into an ancient Elvish pool for sexytimes with Geralt. You know, in case you forgot which series we're talking about here. Also, if I'm not mistaken, tight clothes are easier to render. Not as much stuff billowing and flapping about in the wind.

To answer the OP's question, I'd be thrilled to see either a Witcher game where Ciri is the main character or Cyberpunk 2077, though I'd rather have Cyberpunk. We don't have enough cyberpunk media around and CD Projekt Red gets way better with every game they release, so count me super interested in Cyberpunk. I like Ciri as a character, though, and would enjoy another adventure where I play primarily as her. Abusing her teleporting antics to slice-and-dice enemies was some of the most fun I had with the combat in The Witcher 3, so I am all for more of that.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Rahf

Witcher 3 was a watershed moment and an incredible achievement. It was also tremendously long and I'm still satiated from that whole experience. Having that be the end of the series is the best we could've asked for; a great fin to a truly interesting setting and story.

Now let's see what they can do with something new. Bring on Cyberpunk 2077!

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Witcher is maybe my favorite fantasy universe at this point, and I'm generally a fantasy before sci-fi guy. But they made a really great trilogy and I've gotten a lot out of the Witcher already. I'd like to see what they do with a departure like Cyberpunk!

Howardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher is my all time favorite series, but the series has come to an end and it needs to be over.

We don't need to have everything milked, there's nothing wrong with ENDING something. Doing this preserves the significance and impact of the series rather than draining it.

Bring on the Cyberpunk stuff, God knows I disliked all those isometric cyberpunk games, maybe CDPR will make a cyberpunk game that I will love.

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for Cyberpunk (loved Witcher), because three games is enough and they're leaving the universe at its peak, which is not common in this industry.

Also, it's Cyberpunk and I'd appreciate something in that setting that's not a twin stick shooter, roguelike or an FPS. A proper, massive RPG. Yeah. I like the sound of that.

As for the Ciri game, I wouldn't mind something from an action genre. Like DmC or something.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By soulcake

CD project Red can make what ever they want even a card game..... i would probably play it.

I wonder if people are gonna dish on Cyberpunk for "moving bad" people got momentum yo ! deal with it !

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Witcher is alright but I could never get another one of those games and not really care. Give me some good Cyberpunk.

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
    OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’ve read the books and played he games, I’m good on Witcher stuff at this point. Ciri is a neat character but not my favorite in the series and playing her in 3 was usually either boring or frustrating. I’d take Cyberpunk any day.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Redhotchilimist

Having now googled the IP and discovered that it's got no rocketpowered sledgehammers or machetes that combine into scissors but something like fifty different pistols and submachine guns I'd like to change my vote to Ciri.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: She was hilariously overpowered so they'd definitely have to balance that out but the combat was a bit more exciting 'cause of how much more nimble she was.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.