Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Champions Online

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Sep 01, 2009

Champions Online is a superhero action-MMORPG for PC. It was developed by Cryptic Studios, the makers of City of Heroes.

Champions Online 1 week after launch

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Edited By matt

I’ve been playing champions online for a whole week now and I thought I would try and do video updates as a play and share my thoughts with you guys. This is the second video in the series and hopefully you guys will enjoy it.

Part 1:

Part 2:
    matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By matt

I’ve been playing champions online for a whole week now and I thought I would try and do video updates as a play and share my thoughts with you guys. This is the second video in the series and hopefully you guys will enjoy it.

Part 1:

Part 2:
    CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By CowMuffins

"He looks like...a furry." Bahaha

Good job, I really want to see the nemesis part and some end game. SO HURRY UP D:<

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TheMustacheHero

You make some really good points in these videos about what's wrong with this game. Even during the beta people noticed that some skill sets were OP (like the beast power)

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#4  Edited By Jazz

You make a good point about the specs. Some work and some don't..and its tough. 
    My main is a munitions/tk user...and I never die. I can take 5 lvl 22s at lvl 19 and walk away with over half my life left. 
    The main reason for this is my block...i have TK block, which lasts for a couple of seconds after its released. Most things damage me 7-25. Even 3 lvls higher or Master Villains. 
    I can only suggest that people don't remember to block enough or some powers just arnt effective enough. 
    That said, I die in 5 seconds in PvP. Its totally unbalanced at the moment..unsurprisingly. 

anyway great job on the vids

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Icil

For a robot, your character has nice calves =)

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6  Edited By zyn

Awesome stuff Matt.

TheWadeBrigade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By TheWadeBrigade

I love that quest just because its one giant Anchorman reference

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Hamz

First of all, I really do enjoy your videos. You should really perhaps make a blog one day to explain what software and such like you use to record them, I've always wanted to record some playthroughs of games but never really been sure what software or setup to use!

Secondly I recently had my 6 month subscription offer to Champions Online refunded to me after playing through the 1 week 'grace period'. Mainly due to the reasons you've highlighted in the video. The game, while being unique and having immense potential, is really not doing so great right now. Enough MMOs have launched in the past in a poor way that you would think Cryptic may have learnt a lesson from them. Sadly they have not.

Bugs that were never in the Open Beta have sprung up in the release version, power sets that worked before in Open Beta have been nerfed to the point people are forced to re-roll new toons because they cannot play using the power(s) they want too since they just don't work. Quest rewards in the form of XP and resources are ridiculously low compared to Open Beta which has seriously slowed down the levelling process of most characters and forced people into a corner in regards to retcon costs.

In the Open Beta by level 10 I had around 4 gold, X silver, Y copper and could retcon my entire character. Now by level 10 you'll be lucky to have 1 gold and almost 2/3s of it will be used to retcon just one, maybe two, powers or skills etc. Usually when an MMO is purposefully slowing down the levelling process and money the game population earns it is due to limited or weak Mid / Late-game content, lack of variety in gameplay and as you said in the video, bland environments to explore. This is all in an effort to maintain people playing for as long as possible to suck up as much subscription money from them as possible. A dirty but understandable tactic.

I know I sound rather harsh in my critique of Cryptic and Champions Online. But I had such fun in the Open Beta with the game that I immediately went and paid for the 6 month subscription offer, only to find the final release felt like a totally reverted and broken mess. Not to mention the fact that Cryptic failed to advertise openly that 6 month subscription offers still required you to pay for a retail copy of the game to 'activate' your game account. Paying close to £70 to continue playing Champions Online past the one week grace period in its current state just seemed like a bad investment.

I'll likely pick up Champions Online later down the line, say 5 or 6 months from now, when hopefully by that point Cryptic will have sorted out the power sets and perhaps added in new content and areas to explore. 

One thing I do want to mention in regards to your comments about PvP. It is rather broken at the moment but that is due to everyone using the same cookie-cutter builds because a large majority of the actual power sets are not working correctly or just not worth investing in at all. Case in point PFF and Field Surge are broken completely almost a week into the game and now everyone is rolling Regenerate as their passive. It creates this absurd situation where everyone is Wolverine. They regenerate damage, deal out damage and PvP becomes less fun and more simply a case of whoever lag spikes first dies.

Hopefully Cryptic take note of how Guild Wars has split versions of their skills between PvE and PvP. So a nerf to the PvP usage of a skill doesn't hurt its use in PvE and vice versa.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By JoelTGM

hey nice videos.  I haven't had any trouble playing the game so far, but I play with my brother so I have never even attempted to solo the quests.  We have still been destroyed quite a bit against about 4 enemies at a time.  I love it, but yeah they still have to work out balancing issues and what about respec costs...

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By izzygraze

Yeah...I'm a fire guy and I die ALL the time. I've just recently figured out I'm suppose to put most of my stuff into "recovery" and "presence". Did not know that until I rerolled and read that in the character screen. It would be better if they had something in the abilities screen which tells you "THIS ability is powered by THIS stat" because from the description I have no idea why recovery and presence would be good for a fire guy...

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By matt

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm planning to do a few more videos ending with a full review. Any suggestions for what you would like to see in upcoming vids?  

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#12  Edited By D_W

I generally agree with what most people are saying. But a few things. That part of MC looks all slummy because they're (as in the in-game story) are still building the city and that's part is still the leftover of Detroit. Also... I really like the desert's look *shrugs*.  
    But yeah, hopefully the polish out the bugs in the next few weeks.  

@IzzyGraze
    said:

"Yeah...I'm a fire guy and I die ALL the time. I've just recently figured out I'm suppose to put most of my stuff into "recovery" and "presence". Did not know that until I rerolled and read that in the character screen. It would be better if they had something in the abilities screen which tells you "THIS ability is powered by THIS stat" because from the description I have no idea why recovery and presence would be good for a fire guy... "

I play an Archery/Fire character and Presence is good because, I believe, it has to do with the way Clinging Flames works.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Red

Game actually looks really interesting. I have a crap PC and didn't really like CoH, but if the game actually does come out on the 360, I might give it a shot.

onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By onyxghost

Nice videos. I'm on the fence about this game. It looks great, but I don't want another PC game. I hear it's coming to the 360 and PS3 in march. Maybe by then they'll have the PvP worked out and possibly an expansion pack with more areas. Like I said good videos. In the next one or two get to the level where you're allowed to build a villain for yourself. That might be what tips me over and makes this a buy.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By asurastrike

I like the look of the game, but I don't really want to pay monthly if none of my real life friends are playing.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By penguindust

I have the game sitting on a pile of software right next to me but haven't installed it yet.  Between the complaints people are having now over powers, combat, leveling, etc...and the lag issues, I think I'll wait a few more weeks to before I use up my free month of play.  I do enjoy the videos.  Good work on that front.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jazz

People complain too much about the game.. 
    I may be one of the lucky ones who doesn't really have a problem, but people spend too much time comparing it to stuff thats been around for 4+ years. It only launched a week ago. 
    New patch and free recon for all today though...hopefully it will help those who have problems

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tekmojo
    @Jazz said:
    " People complain too much about the game.. I may be one of the lucky ones who doesn't really have a problem, but people spend too much time comparing it to stuff thats been around for 4+ years. It only launched a week ago. New patch and free recon for all today though...hopefully it will help those who have problems "
    Server coming up soon, gonna make another guy. I'm still having fun making heroes, so if that lasts me until balance changes arrive, then it's all gravy. It's great to analyze the game, but I mean the game has been out for only a week and a half. I think I'll reserve some patience for this one.
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jazz

Yep that about sums up my feelings too

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By killdave
    @TheWadeBrigade said:

" I love that quest just because its one giant Anchorman reference "

Me too - awesome :p

and I'm actually having "fun" with the game so far. Lucky me I guess
    FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By FLStyle
    @Matt said:
    "  Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm planning to do a few more videos ending with a full review. Any suggestions for what you would like to see in upcoming vids?   "
    This unbalanced PvP you speak of please :D

Posted on your video page itself and subscribed, enjoyed your stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.