Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Child of Eden

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jun 14, 2011

Q Entertainment's music shooter for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. It features support for the Kinect and Move controllers, and is considered a spiritual successor to the cult classic, Rez.

Child of Eden: Or, How I Love the Existence of a Rez 'Sequel'

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

Edited By DevWil

If i had to pick a favorite game, the easy answer for me is Rez.  For me, Rez was a game that made me take games seriously.  I've had similar moments in other forms of media: 2001: A Space Odyssey made me realize that film could be used to tell stories more awesome than Raiders of the Lost Ark (not that Raiders ain't awesome; it definitely is) and Rage Against the Machine and CKY got me to stop listening to bad music when I was a teenager. 

Rez got me to think about games as more than just Sonic the Hedgehog and Counter-Strike.  And it got me to pay $80 for a used PlayStation 2 game.

So, needless to say, I was extremely anxious to hear what the new Q Entertainment game was going to be, especially when they used the word "synaesthesia" in a tweet about the upcoming announcement.

Enter Child of Eden.  It's easy to think of it as Rez II: Synaesthetic Boogaloo, and, as such,  I'm so excited about this game (as evidenced by my wiki edits and constant "YESYESYES" comments in response to any blog/news/forum posts about it) that it might be the thing to get me to buy Microsoft's poorly-named and poorly-considered Kinect controller.  However, I think I'd prefer having force feedback with a regular ol' controller like in the original Rez, which I'm assuming Child of Eden will also have (because, seriously, thing is pretty much a sequel to Rez...seriously). 

Anyways, even if I won't personally buy a Kinect controller, I'm glad that Child of Eden seems to be one of the most exciting games to be a part of Microsoft's lineup for the EyeToy Plus.  This is getting it way more publicity and I'm so glad people who aren't already fans of Rez seem interested in this game.  I don't think Rez ever got its due (probably because it's such a short game), but hopefully this is the game that gets Tetsuya Mizuguchi to be as much of a household name as any Japanese game designer's name can be.

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By DevWil

If i had to pick a favorite game, the easy answer for me is Rez.  For me, Rez was a game that made me take games seriously.  I've had similar moments in other forms of media: 2001: A Space Odyssey made me realize that film could be used to tell stories more awesome than Raiders of the Lost Ark (not that Raiders ain't awesome; it definitely is) and Rage Against the Machine and CKY got me to stop listening to bad music when I was a teenager. 

Rez got me to think about games as more than just Sonic the Hedgehog and Counter-Strike.  And it got me to pay $80 for a used PlayStation 2 game.

So, needless to say, I was extremely anxious to hear what the new Q Entertainment game was going to be, especially when they used the word "synaesthesia" in a tweet about the upcoming announcement.

Enter Child of Eden.  It's easy to think of it as Rez II: Synaesthetic Boogaloo, and, as such,  I'm so excited about this game (as evidenced by my wiki edits and constant "YESYESYES" comments in response to any blog/news/forum posts about it) that it might be the thing to get me to buy Microsoft's poorly-named and poorly-considered Kinect controller.  However, I think I'd prefer having force feedback with a regular ol' controller like in the original Rez, which I'm assuming Child of Eden will also have (because, seriously, thing is pretty much a sequel to Rez...seriously). 

Anyways, even if I won't personally buy a Kinect controller, I'm glad that Child of Eden seems to be one of the most exciting games to be a part of Microsoft's lineup for the EyeToy Plus.  This is getting it way more publicity and I'm so glad people who aren't already fans of Rez seem interested in this game.  I don't think Rez ever got its due (probably because it's such a short game), but hopefully this is the game that gets Tetsuya Mizuguchi to be as much of a household name as any Japanese game designer's name can be.

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By umdesch4

Great post man. I agree with pretty much everything you said, and said well. (The only difference for me is that I will be trying it out first on a Kinect, and am kinda looking forward to seeing what that experience is like)

I still play Rez all the time. It's the first thing I think of to do when all my housemates leave. I like to have it cranked to neighbor-disturbing levels, so I can't really do it properly with other people around who don't appreciate that sort of thing as much as I do. The timing of my new projector upgrade purchase was actually dictated by Child of Eden, so to say I'm looking forward to next week is an understatement!

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Jackel2072

I sunk god only knows mow many hours into Rez. it was very cerebral. Now im not going to sit here and say im above saying i really wanted to try that game rolling haha, but that game has really stuck with me over the years. Now im going to have to go buy Child of Eden, it is one of the reaons i bought a Kinect in the first god damn place. but i can see my self settling back into the game with just a controller.

FEAR IS THE MIND KILLER!

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By DharmaBum

If you love Rez then rest assured that Miz still has his touch and this is a true successor.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I've never really understood people's fascination with Rez. Could you explain the appeal further? I've tried it a bunch of times and always end up getting bored and quitting for three years.

I must be missing something.

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By umdesch4

@Rolyatkcinmai: Nope, you're not missing anything. I know tons of people who aren't moved one iota by these games, and people like me, who are practically moved to tears by how awesome and inspiring they are. It feels sometimes like Mr. Mizuguchi has pulled the concepts for these games straight out of my subconscious. But I think it takes a certain type of person to love them (which I'm trying to figure out how you can determine), and if you're not that person, that's just how it goes...there's probably a type of game, or entertainment, or whatever, that totally works for you, and it'd be that thing that I totally don't get. ;)

PS. Pardon the weird touchy-feely rambling, if that's what I'm doing. I just finished a couple hours of Child of Eden, and now I'm settling into an evening of drinking.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.