First impressions

#1 Posted by Alphaknowledge (47 posts) -

I just picked up this game today, I'm a big fan of tactical RPG's (Tactics Ogre, FFT) and this one has been pretty fun so far. I like the card/dice mechanic that they added to make it more interesting. Has anyone else checked it out?

#2 Posted by KingBonesaw (1195 posts) -

I didn't know too much about the game before today aside from the fact that Aurahack worked on it in some capacity but I've enjoyed my time with it so far. Each character has a strong personality and the gameplay (so far) is fun and not too overbearing. I play this type of game once every few years so right now it's working great for me.

#3 Posted by ArtisanBreads (9107 posts) -

Does the game feel full fledged? That's my let down with some indie SRPG type games recently.

#4 Posted by eliotie (33 posts) -

So far so good. I got it mostly to support a local developer (helps that it also looks cool), but it's been pretty fun so far.
Will have to see if the combat holds up after 10+ hours.
Really like the music though.

#5 Posted by Fezrock (567 posts) -

I've played the first two missions, and it seems pretty good so far. The card and dice mechanics are pretty interesting and I really like the artwork; haven't really seen any of the story yet, so I can't comment on that. I do have two complaints though that seem pretty minor (and would be easy enough to fix I think), but do hamper the combat quite a bit I think:

One, the lack of any zone of control system greatly reduces the tactical nature of the game; combat is a constant series of moving 3 spaces to get behind a character to backstab them and then having them do the same to you. Also, the lack of flanking (I think) means that only positioning your back is important.

Two, there doesn't seem to be a way to check the range of card abilities until after you have moved. Maybe that isn't a problem once you've played for a while and have it all memorized, but early on it makes it very difficult to know where the optimal spot for ranged characters is.

The first is a developer choice I guess, but I really hope the second gets patched (or that I'm missing something).

#6 Posted by Alphaknowledge (47 posts) -

@fezrock: you can check the range of your card with Y or Triangle on the gamepad (don't know the keyboard equivalent), just choose a card and you'll see the range and detailed info of the card. Yeah, flanking would have been a nice addition to the battle mechanics.

#7 Posted by Fezrock (567 posts) -

@alphaknowledge: I can do that after I move, but I haven't seen any way of selecting a card before I move. When I press Y before I move, it just brings up either the tutorial about movement or a static character status screen (can't remember which is Y and which is Select).

#8 Posted by TheWildCard (660 posts) -

I like the dice and card stuff I've seen but some of the other stuff looks a little rough, probably going to wait for a sale before trying this.

#9 Posted by eliotie (33 posts) -

@fezrock: Two missions in isn't past their "tutorial" section. They unlock the see card details feature after mission 3 or 4.

#10 Edited by Rodin (345 posts) -

Not to far in myself but so far I really like the art work, the characters seem fine so far, not much has happened yet but I do find it weird that a couple kids can decimate tons of guards so easily. And I'm waiting for the story to pick up, but so far I'm interested to see where it goes. I'm a big fan of the gameplay itself, I'm enjoying the dice and card stuff except for when I have a hand full of healing and one attack card.

My only real problems with the game are the environments and character models they look real basic and janky, also the the voice samples when you attack and stuff sound kinda bad.

#11 Posted by biggiedubs (591 posts) -

I am absolutely loving this game. It's really scratching that Metal Gear Ac!d itch.

I do think the character design for Zirschoff is awful though. Apart from him the design and looks are actually pretty good, but you cannot get me to take sunglasses and spiky hair seriously.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.