Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Chrono Trigger

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 11, 1995

Take control of the lovable but silent protagonist Crono in this time-spanning collaborative effort from Squaresoft's "Dream Team." Chrono Trigger follows the exploits of Crono as he and his friends attempt to save the world from a planet-devouring alien creature.

Going to be playing Chrono Trigger for the first time. Advise?

mpdebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mpdebo

So I have just bought Chrono Trigger for the DS for Amazon, it will be arriving in a few days. This will be my first time ever playing this game and I am looking for advice on how to best enjoy it (such as tips or warnings of cheap parts).  

Please no story spoilers (I already know Aerith dies)

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By LordXavierBritish

Robo is the best party member, his dual tech with Chrono completely wrecks shit and has unlimited range.

Also just don't make any stupid choices and you'll get the best ending easily.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    Robo is the best party member, his dual tech with Chrono completely wrecks shit and has unlimited range.  Also just don't make any stupid choices and you'll get the best ending easily.
    Aren't endings just based on when you beat the final boss? Or am I mistaken?

Also, I can't think of much advice, really; just play it. Setting it to DS mode is probably a good idea though, that way, the interface uses the DS's touch screen capabilities.
    dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By dungbootle

Dude just play it

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By LordXavierBritish
    @BeachThunder said:
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    Robo is the best party member, his dual tech with Chrono completely wrecks shit and has unlimited range.  Also just don't make any stupid choices and you'll get the best ending easily.
    Aren't endings just based on when you beat the final boss? Or am I mistaken?  Also, I can't think of much advice, really; just play it. Setting it to DS mode is probably a good idea though, that way, the interface uses the DS's touch screen capabilities.

Demon_Sandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Demon_Sandwich

I agree the play the damn game. go with what you know and percieve. dont read a guide. play like its the 90s

mpdebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mpdebo
    @dungbootle: Don't worry, I will be playing it as soon as it comes in. I am just really excited and looking for ways to possibly make my experience better. 
    Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

If you ever get a choice to moving on with the story and fighting the final boss keep going until the final boss is the last thing you can do.

Sourceguru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sourceguru
    @Oscar__Explosion said:

If you ever get a choice to moving on with the story and fighting the final boss keep going until the final boss is the last thing you can do.

I second this. 
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#10  Edited By StarvingGamer

Any time you see a special looking treasure chest (I think they're black?) don't open it unless it's had the time to mature.

Oh and Slurp+Kiss is brokenly good.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By donchipotle

There will come a moment where you get to have a duel with someone. Do not duel them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Listen closely and try to keep track of who and what is where in each timeline, the game will eventually stop guiding you where you need to be.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By mesoian

@VelvetLore04 said:

There will come a moment where you get to have a duel with someone. Do not duel them.

F-that. First time I played through the game, I dueled that sonofabitch and it was damn satisfying.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By donchipotle

@Mesoian said:

@VelvetLore04 said:

F-that. First time I played through the game, I dueled that sonofabitch and it was damn satisfying.

Dude is super useful and when you use the Rubble exploit on the Mountain of Woe dude becomes god damn amazing

EvilAshe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EvilAshe

Always keep Lucca in your party. Not because she's the most powerful character or anything, but just because she's freakin' awesome.

Also my memorys a bit iffy on this, but most triple-techs are worthless.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Justin258

A bit of an accident on my part. There's one part early on, right when you (very literally) go into the castle that the princess is in (read: hidden underground castle) that I got stuck on. I wound up wandering around, killing and killing and killing enemies. I literally leveled up two or three times and got tons and tons of currency and other junk, and thus far I'm a little bit ahead of almost everything I've fought in terms of experience and I've managed my money and supplies well enough to have over 50 health potions and stuff. It's been a while, I need to pick it back up, and I forgot what those health potions are called.

What I'm suggesting is a good bit of grinding early on so that the rest of the game will go smoothly. I did and I'm having a blast. It definitely isn't necessary, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.