Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Chrono Trigger

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 11, 1995

Take control of the lovable but silent protagonist Crono in this time-spanning collaborative effort from Squaresoft's "Dream Team." Chrono Trigger follows the exploits of Crono as he and his friends attempt to save the world from a planet-devouring alien creature.

My Reaction to the Chrono Trigger Endurance Run Annoucement

• 92 results
    byterunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By byterunner

@Hailinel said:

@Video_Game_King said:

I'm not really a fan of the choice. Why Chrono Trigger? It's been played out so damn much already; I can't imagine there's a lot to bring to the table. I am willing to be surprised, though.

Why not? It's not like it's gotten much play around here. Though you probably wouldn't be satisfied with any choice unless it were either a Fire Emblem game or the most obscure, fan-translated RPG they could possibly dig up. :P

actually, a Live A Live Endurance Run would be fucking awesome

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#52  Edited By LegalBagel
    No Caption Provided

I'm in favor of this endurance run and of spoony bards.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#53  Edited By cornbredx

While I am fine with the ER the only thing I wanted to say was no the formula previously used would not grow old because they only do ERs once a year (if that even). While I think the new ER choice is really weird, I am still excited to see a new ER and if they're going to pick a popular game at least it's a classic like Chrono Trigger which is a great game.

I also believe people don't give Ryan and Patrick enough credit; Ryan is a hilarious dude and Patrick will bring his cool ability to kind of discuss gaming culture and his knowledge in that neat way that he does (well, i enjoy it anyway) so I think this will be a cool ER in a different way then the other 2 ERs (yes yes 3 techniclally).

I'm super stoked about it too.

Adus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By Adus

I'll wait to judge it until after I've seen a video or two, but at this point I'm not getting my hopes up. I've actually never played CT so at least there's value in finally experiencing the game. If I was ever going to watch a Let's Play of a JRPG with no voice acting, it would only be on Giant Bomb.

Honestly I'm just glad it's not Dark Souls. The QL was amusing but I doubt I could watch an entire run of that.

nobel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By nobel

I agree with everything in the original post, except for the part of being pitied for not getting some reference (come on!).

I come to this site to watch great content, and from what I've experienced, part of the greatness comes from the staff doing stuff they want to do. If Patrick and Ryan want to do a Chrono Trigger endurance run i say godspeed.

Arguing that this is not great content before even seeing the first video go up seems silly to me, but then again i don't really care. The staff will keep doing what they feel is right, despite certain parts of the community getting all worked up over it.

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By ikwal

I've never played through Chrono Trigger, and I have a feeling I never will. So I'll enjoy watching the story without know what's going to happen. At first I was disappointed that Vinny and Jeff wasn't in it but then I remembered that I really enjoy anything Patrick's in, Ryan's great also. And to be honest it would be impossible to find a game as perfect for ER as DP was. Can't wait for the ER to begin.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef60ddcb1c43
    deactivated-5ef60ddcb1c43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I should start by saying that I'm counting myself lucky to be getting another endurance run, so I'm not complaining - but I was a little disappointed with the choice of ER game. I'll no doubt watch every single episode, probably several times, but it's hard to imagine a game with limited wackiness being as entertaining to watch as something like Deadly Premonition or Persona 4. Also, it's a shame that Vinny and Jeff aren't involved - some of those VJ videos are amongst my favourites on the site.

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By matt

@MEATBALL said:

I'm sure the Endurance Run will be great, the only thing I'm disappointed with at all is a lack of Vinny.

This

SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By SonicBoyster

For the people complaining-> Would you rather have no endurance run, or a Chrono Trigger endurance run?

(If you say you'd rather have no endurance run you either hate the endurance run or are just being a hipster douche)

grayfox1210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By grayfox1210

I think having Chrono Trigger as the next endurance run is a little, meh. Don't get me wrong, I know it's an amazing game and all that jazz, but for me, I just don't think it seems right. With Persona 4 and Deadly Premonition, Weird things happen within the story or the gameplay. Having those sort of games for an endurance run sort of made it feel like Mystery Science Theater 3000 (especially with Deadly Premonition) but in game form. With Chrono Trigger, it feels like that, but with MST3K making fun of say "The Godfather." Just an odd choice for me, that's all.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Mcfart

A - It's a well known classic

B - It has no voice acting (detrimental to an ER)

C - Patrick already finished it

D - No Vinny

E - No Jeff

F - I dislike Patrick.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#63  Edited By Ravenlight

I'm cautiously optimistic. I have to admit, I was kind've taken aback when they announced Chrono Trigger, but the GB grew hasn't failed me yet.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Patman99

My cousin and I played the shit out of that game back in the day. Glad to see this is the new ER!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#65  Edited By Hailinel

@grayfox1210 said:

I think having Chrono Trigger as the next endurance run is a little, meh. Don't get me wrong, I know it's an amazing game and all that jazz, but for me, I just don't think it seems right. With Persona 4 and Deadly Premonition, Weird things happen within the story or the gameplay. Having those sort of games for an endurance run sort of made it feel like Mystery Science Theater 3000 (especially with Deadly Premonition) but in game form. With Chrono Trigger, it feels like that, but with MST3K making fun of say "The Godfather." Just an odd choice for me, that's all.

Have you forgotten the weird things that happen in Chrono Trigger? The game is patently bizarre at points. This isn't a dry, humorlous RPG we're talking about here.

@Mcfart said:

D - No Vinny

E - No Jeff

F - I dislike Patrick.

A. True.

B. Whether it's detrimental or not is unknown at this point since it hasn't even started.

C. Patrick will not be the one driving, and it's been years since he played it.

D. That doesn't bother me.

E. That doesn't bother me, either.

F. Why?

GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By GioVANNI

I still think Yakuza 4 would make for an amazing endurance run.

byterunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By byterunner

@Hailinel said:

@Mcfart said:

D - No Vinny

E - No Jeff

F - I dislike Patrick.

A. True.

B. Whether it's detrimental or not is unknown at this point since it hasn't even started.

C. Patrick will not be the one driving, and it's been years since he played it.

D. That doesn't bother me.

E. That doesn't bother me, either.

F. Why?

I do believe that it would detrimental without the voice acting, during the P4 ER they skipped many lines of dialog, I personally think that Ryan and Patrick would skip lines and would miss some interesting points in the story. Also, voices just add another level to the ER that a text only game wouldn't imo.

RichieJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 9

#68  Edited By RichieJohn

I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it. It's prompted me to buy it on virtual console.

I got about 6 hours in playing on an emulator a few years ago and lost my save. Looking forward to playing more.

@DonPixel said:

This game belongs to other time and it was great back then, this isn't Art or Red whine. technology + time = obsolescence.

Anyway I hope this turns out well.

A lot of people would argue that classics like Chrono Trigger are art. I can't say I am one as I don't know enough about the game.

I never played Chrono Trigger back in the day as it didn't come out in the UK and I was a bit young for this sort of game in the SNES era. But I'd say that a good game from the NES/SNES totally stands up. If it stands up now, already a few years latter, it will stand up forever.

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#69  Edited By rapid

People beg and beg for a new Endurance Run when they finally announce one, people bitch and moan about it. 

I am excited about this, although Jeff and Vinny will not be in this one I think it will still be interesting to see Ryan and Patrick's views about this and how they go about playing it.  
    This game, and Chinese Paladin (/xianjian qixia zhuan) are my all time favourite RPGs when I was a kid. 

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Gizmo

@Ravenlight said:

I'm cautiously optimistic. I have to admit, I was kind've taken aback when they announced Chrono Trigger, but the GB grew hasn't failed me yet.

Remember Building The Farmville? That was fucking terrible.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#71  Edited By Sooty

Don't really care, it's not a zany game and I don't think it'll make for a very good ER, especially since it's Patrick and Ryan playing it.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#72  Edited By Sooty

@Slayeric said:

I will never understand anyone who complains about free content on a website that they love.

I will never understand why people think this is an acceptable viewpoint. Just because it's free doesn't mean you can't and shouldn't complain or give feedback.

It's not banana surgery.

Dooleh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Dooleh

I gotta say this has really bummed me out , i find Patrick (his laugh especially) really annoying i couldn't finish watching some quick looks he was in , poor game choice since most of us know the game pretty well , and finally and most important no Jeff and NO VINNY WTF ??????

Now to all the people who say don't complain about free content , are you really gonna watch anything as long as it's free ?

Ley_Lines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Ley_Lines

@MEATBALL said:

I'm sure the Endurance Run will be great, the only thing I'm disappointed with at all is a lack of Vinny.

TheInsider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By TheInsider

I think it will be a fun watch but will become disappointing when they inevitably miss out on recruiting a certain person

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#76  Edited By mesoian
    @Hailinel said:

@Gerhabio said:

Wait... when was this announced? Where?

It was first announced on the Tested Octoberkast and has since been talk about by the staff on Twitter.

::Swoon:: Oh god. I can't wait.
    Slayeric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Slayeric

@Sooty: Oh come the fuck on. You guys are expecting this shit to be dead on arrival. You act like it's going to be the most boring piece of shit in existence and that you're not going to enjoy it or watch it. But you will. I would totally understand this sort of disdain if it was 10 episodes in and it's been boring, BUT IT HASN'T EVEN STARTED. You have no idea what to expect. You act like there aren't a MILLION other things these guys do to put on a show for us. Be glad they're even doing another one.

There's also the possibility that if they see this kind of pessimism that the crew will look at it and say "NOPE! NO MORE ENDURACE RUN! OUR COMMUNITY HATES OUR IDEAS!" And that's an even worse situation.

People can reply to this as much as they want, but I've said my piece, I'm out. You guys can keep complaining. I, for one, encourage the crew to do what they want, when they want. It always makes for great entertainment in my opinion.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Hailinel

This Vinny fetish a lot of you seem to share is pretty damn weird, guys. Yes, he's entertaining, but I find that a little Vinny can go a long way.

makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#79  Edited By makari

The Deadly Premonition ER was a failure for me because it didn't match the feel of the P4 one. Namely that it was capitalizing off the popularity of the first and not really actually a game that the two (or in this case, four) people involved actually really wanted to play for a long time prior to the ER and were discovering of their own want and not just to play a janky quirky game for the video lulz. The CT one I'm still sceptical about, as Patrick has already finished the game before so it won't be a wholly pure experience, especially in a JRPG where, if you've played them before and know the general gist of how to reach the end goal, it can sully any real sense of discovery for certain things if one person 'kinda remembers where that secret off the beaten path is'.

They could have picked a worse game, though, I remain cautiously optimistic.

Evan223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Evan223

@nobel said:

Arguing that this is not great content before even seeing the first video go up seems silly to me, but then again i don't really care..

I agree with this, it is silly. But with a large amount of gamers spouting "Game X will be an abomination because of Y!" months before release and sometimes even weeks after announcement, I am not surprised by people jumping to similar conclusions with the new ER.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Funkydupe

@Mcfart said:

D - No Vinny

E - No Jeff

F - I dislike Patrick.

Something a bit more out there + not as known would have been a better choice for the coming ER but.. yeah.. I'm not sure why they settled on this.

I'd prefer the Jeff/Vinny combo too.

Hyuzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Hyuzen

@Hailinel: I've played FFIV on the DS so I'm familiar with the line, but spoony is an actual word that relates to the bard so why is it such a historically recognizable line?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Hailinel

@Hyuzen said:

@Hailinel: I've played FFIV on the DS so I'm familiar with the line, but spoony is an actual word that relates to the bard so why is it such a historically recognizable line?

Because while it is an actual word used in its proper context, its usage is so uncommon, and the word itself sounds so absurd in modern English, that it stuck out more than any other. The line has been referenced countless times, and even with more accurate translations in later revisions of the game, it has remained a part of every new translation. It's just an oddity that's become part of the culture around the game.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By AuthenticM

Well, I look forward to this ER. A lot. It makes me sad that people got so angry at it. It's just a big reminder that people on the Internet have an entitlement problem.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Souls or Shenmue would've been better.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By AuthenticM

Does anybody have any idea on when this is supposed to premier? Has the gang said anything during live shows that I could have missed?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never played Chrono Trigger, so no problem from me.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By prestonhedges

@AuthenticM said:

Does anybody have any idea on when this is supposed to premier? Has the gang said anything during live shows that I could have missed?

I think all they've said is "soon".

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#89  Edited By MikeFightNight

For me it doesn't really matter what game they are playing, for me an endurance run equals Jeff & Vinny. I really enjoyed the P4 endurance run, watched them all. The Deadly Premonition run was good, but to be honest I missed episodes here and there and usually skipped to cutscenes when the gameplay was just getting awful and nothing of interesting was being said. I tired to watch the Brad and Ryan ER of DP but it just wasn't clicking for me, even after coming back to it months later.

Anyone else feel this way? I'll still check out this endurance run and give it a handful of episodes before I decide wether to endure it or not.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By shaunk

Id assume they will wait until this insane release season is over. And I think they said for sure before next year. So not much longer probably.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Hailinel

@AuthenticM said:

They haven't stated a specific date; only that it would be happening before the end of the year, from what I recall. And like others have said, I wouldn't expect it to start before the biggest part of the holiday season glut of new releases has come and gone.

lasergreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By lasergreen

I was only four when Chrono Trigger was released and i've never even played a SNES and I'm actually really looking forward to this Endurance Run.

MackSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By MackSterling

I shook my head a bit when I first heard about it til I found out this duo hasn't really played the game before. Well, one did in another era. I can see it popping up on Christmas or New Years Eve.

"Happy Holidays, folks. I'm Ryan."

"And I'm Patrick."

"While everyone else is out on vacation, we're here playing Chrono Trigger."

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Surkov

I was making my way through the Persona 4 ER over the summer and got to episode 131, then school started and I haven't watched one since. Damn you college!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.