Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Chrono Trigger

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 11, 1995

Take control of the lovable but silent protagonist Crono in this time-spanning collaborative effort from Squaresoft's "Dream Team." Chrono Trigger follows the exploits of Crono as he and his friends attempt to save the world from a planet-devouring alien creature.

Time travel by nuke

Wakapeil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Wakapeil

Warning! Spoilers ahead of a game you will most likely never play!

Watching the Chrono Trigger ER I started remembering a lot of stupid/awesome methods of time travel in games. Traveling through time holes created by big planet devouring parasites is kind of cool I guess but it pales in comparison with one specific instance of time travel in Breakdown.

After an epic fight with the bad dude, Solus, the protagonist, Derrick, gets the *expletive* beaten out of him and all hope seems lost. After some drama a nuke strikes down out of nowhere and it should be GAME OVER! Instead the nuke flings our hero through time to a *expletive* future.

"Nukes" = "Time travel". Makes perfect sense.

As a side note, does tri-ace have a company policy that time travel should be in every one of their games?

Avatar image for captainsandwich
    CaptainSandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By CaptainSandwich

@Wakapeil said:

As a side note, does tri-ace have a company policy that time travel should be in every one of their games?

No idea, but it seems to be company policy that each Star Ocean game should immediately dump its space-faring origins by having its main character warping to/crashing onto a medieval planet, and being forced to use a sword instead of a gun.

SO4 was probably my biggest disappointment of the 21st century, and we're only in 2012.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I played that game. I did not get super far in. But it did seem kinda long till I got to the point I did. I did not understand ANYTHING of what happened in the game. But it was fun. Ahhhhh Memories. 

Wakapeil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Wakapeil

@The_Laughing_Man: Breakdown was way longer than it had any reason to be, especially since it was at it's worst at the beginning of the game. I really thought I was up against the last boss when the nuclear missile turns up out of nowhere and sends you into the future. As ridiculous and overly complicated Breakdown's plot was I still find it more memorable than most games. I know it will never happen but I would love to see a directors cut with more of the trippy crazy stuff in the first half of the game.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#5  Edited By D_W

@CaptainSandwich:

Oh come on, SO3 was so much of a disappoint you shouldn't of had any expectations left.

@Wakapeil:

From the description I assume Breakdown was some obscure jRPG on the NES or SNES, but a FPS on the original XBox that totally makes more sense. I mean that in as sincerely and sarcastically as humanly and/or otherwisely possible.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.