Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Chrono Trigger

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 11, 1995

Take control of the lovable but silent protagonist Crono in this time-spanning collaborative effort from Squaresoft's "Dream Team." Chrono Trigger follows the exploits of Crono as he and his friends attempt to save the world from a planet-devouring alien creature.

Was the ER all recorded like two months ago?

• 90 results
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By kingzetta

Patrick said " yeah, it's almost Halloween."

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By matthias2437

Probably. It's not like it matters when they were recorded though. It makes far more sense for everyone too record them in advance, that way nothing can happen that would stop them from putting one up every day. Also, this may blow your mind. They will some times film a few days worth at one time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wouldn't that have been one month ago?

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

I thought he was joking.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kingzetta
    @matthias2437 said:

Probably. It's not like it matters when they were recorded though. It makes far more sense for everyone too record them in advance, that way nothing can happen that would stop them from putting one up every day. Also, this may blow your mind. They will some times film a few days worth at one time.

I know that
    RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By RuthLoose

You will probably hear Ryan say something on the Bombcast this week if they really recorded a bunch already or not.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@matthias2437 said:

Yes, but I think Jeff had specifically said that they were against the idea of pre-recording too early because how out-of-date their references or jokes might be during the ER. Perhaps Ryan and Patrick have a different philosophy or something.

Also, when in the video does Patrick say that? I don't recall it.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kingzetta
    @FluxWaveZ: when they go into the tent of horrors for the first time.
    Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By rollingzeppelin

Why does this matter at all? Why discuss it?

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
    Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

The past two weren't, as they used the comments to help them.

But if this one was, that would be severely disappointing.

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deskp

If im not mistaken they said they did it early to have content and stuff during holidays and vecations, and they talked a little about how early to record it, seeing as current events might get mentioned.

i see it as a good thing, so it never gets delayed or soemthing

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By jeffgoldblum

@Xtrememuffinman said:

The past two weren't, as they used the comments to help them. But if this one was, that would be severely disappointing.

During the past two they would record as many as they could in one sitting. So sometimes it would be days before they could respond to comments. Maybe this time they just got a head start.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@RollingZeppelin said:

It might change for this ER, but for the P4 ER and DP ER, part of the fun was listening to Jeff and Vinny discuss timely news and events while going through the more tedious parts of the game (grinding, dungeons...). Those episodes where they go against endless streams of wall crawling naked ladies would have been much more boring if they were discussing old, less relevant stuff.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kingzetta
    @RollingZeppelin said:

oddly enough it sorta does. 
    Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@FluxWaveZ: Ah, ok, I see now. I tuned out of the P4 ER 3/4 of the way through and only watched the first couple DP episodes. From what I remember of the ER, the most entertaining part was watching the guys fumbling around with the game until they finally figured out that Bufu doesn't kill everything, that and the beef bowl challenge. If I wanted to listen to the guys talk about current events I'd go to the podcast, that way I can get some work done and be entertained at the same time, something that I cant do while watching a video.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Gav47

Seems like a good idea, you wouldn't want the guys to have to come into work during their Christmas holidays in order to record more ER nor would you want the ER to stop over the break either.

Isn't there a full season of TANG already recorded as well?

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Deusx

Well, if it is true... That kinda sucks. It makes everything feel a little bit false for some strange reason.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nekroskop

I still think it's kind of a bummer that Jeff and Vinny aren't doing this. I think they make the best combo. I'm going to give Patrick and Ryan a chance though, so far it's been ok,

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By mesoian

@Xtrememuffinman said:

The past two weren't, as they used the comments to help them. But if this one was, that would be severely disappointing.

No, the past two definitely were. Not every episode, but there were DEFINITELY times where they played 3 hours at a time, then chopped them up into 5 or 6 different videos. It's extremely obvious with the P4 one.

It makes more sense to do it this way. These guys are busy and this ensures a steady flow of content without bogging down production time.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
    deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deathstriker666

@Mesoian said:

@Xtrememuffinman said:

No, the past two definitely were. Not every episode, but there were DEFINITELY times where they played 3 hours at a time, then chopped them up into 5 or 6 different videos. It's extremely obvious with the P4 one.

It makes more sense to do it this way. These guys are busy and this ensures a steady flow of content without bogging down production time.

5 or 6? No, it was more like 2 or 3 on a regular basis. It seemed like during the week of PAX '09 was the only time were they recorded all the episodes the week before. I have to agree with you on the last point. This time of year seems like a terrible time to put out an Endurance Run. GOTY awards and Winter break. I can see why they would record the entire ER months before.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTM

Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing.

BleedingStarX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By BleedingStarX

This doesn't bother me in the slightest, I'm watching for the entertainment, not for current event discussions

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Yeah, I'm guessing they started a while ago, just so they have a steady stream to keep uploading if they don't feel like playing the game every single day. Makes sense, especially during the holiday season.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24  Edited By mesoian

@deathstriker666 said:

@Mesoian said:

@Xtrememuffinman said:

5 or 6? No, it was more like 2 or 3 on a regular basis. It seemed like during the week of PAX '09 was the only time were they recorded all the episodes the week before. I have to agree with you on the last point. This time of year seems like a terrible time to put out an Endurance Run. GOTY awards and Winter break. I can see why they would record the entire ER months before.

As time went on and the endurance run videos got longer, I think it reduced to 2 or 3. But at the beginning especially when each episode was about 15-20 minutes, you could tell those were clearly longer 2 or 3 hours sessions that were cut up. I'm convinced that pretty much everything before the game actually starts being a game is the result of 3 real play sessions. That's almost 15 episodes.

Talking about P4 here. I do believe that DP had more session breaks than P4 did, simply due to the nature of that game.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By Dagbiker

I understand why they did it, but its still disipointing. I like the feeling that we are playing the game togather, and discovering it along side each other. i know its dumb but thats why i like the endurance runs. and i think thats why this is a disapointment. but i understand the need for prerecorded content for content poor times.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Cloudenvy

This doesn't really bother me, what does bother me a lot is Patrick and Ryan mentioning future events in the game that they remember.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By YoungFrey

I'm more concerned they are making a point of using a real cartridge with a possibly unreliable battery. But then maybe if I was doing an ER, I'd enjoy the possibility that it would just end at some point and I'd be free early.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@FluxWaveZ said:

@RollingZeppelin said:

It might change for this ER, but for the P4 ER and DP ER, part of the fun was listening to Jeff and Vinny discuss timely news and events while going through the more tedious parts of the game (grinding, dungeons...). Those episodes where they go against endless streams of wall crawling naked ladies would have been much more boring if they were discussing old, less relevant stuff.

Yeah I agree.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Cloudenvy said:

This doesn't really bother me, what does bother me a lot is Patrick and Ryan mentioning future events in the game that they remember.

Has Ryan done that at all? I'm only seven minutes into the second video, but it seems that's all Klepek.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By Marz

Honestly this was the master plan, working to great effect.   They never wanted to do another endurance run, so if they could create as much negativity towards this endurance run they will have all the justification in the world that they never need to do another one again.   Brilliant.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Cloudenvy

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Has Ryan done that at all? I'm only seven minutes into the second video, but it seems that's all Klepek.

I just wrote both since I wasn't quite sure who actually said it in episode 2, sorry!

But yeah, I think it was Patrick.

Seraphim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By Seraphim

Just to further suggest that they pre-record, when the ER started, Ryan posted something to the effect of, "Oh shit, I totally forgot this started" which would be really worrisome if he had recorded it that morning, or the previous day.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#33  Edited By Soap

It would kind of suck if it was recorded so long ago, I fall into the camp of people who enjoy hearing about current events while they play, just makes it more... relevant.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Just to clarify, if Patrick said, 'Yeah, it's almost Halloween', then that would put the recording at about 1 month ago, not 2. Free math lesson.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By jakob187

The game IS about time travel and such. Why not record it a couple of months in advance...only to have the battery die out on the cartridge, then make new episodes here in the future? However, if they make these new episodes in the future, then did the stuff in the past ever actually happen?

O_O

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ravenlight
    • Beg for more ER
    • Get more ER
    • Complain about ER
    • ????
    • Profit!
    Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@Deusx said:

Well, if it is true... That kinda sucks. It makes everything feel a little bit false for some strange reason.

It's a difficult feeling to properly express, but yeah, I completely agree with you. It feels cold, it feels easy. Everytime I think of how long ago they were recorded, all it does is remind me of all the changes Giant Bomb has gone through in the last year into a more businessy-business-like place. What made the Endurance Run shine was how crazy the very idea of it even was, that it took time, and that it was all new. That they involved the community in that adventure. It's just another piece of content now. They've got to plan it out! They've got to upload it at the proper time of the year! They've got to keep those subscriptions rolling in and video up at a steady pace! Business, business, business!

It's not that people are complaining about having a new Endurance Run; it's that people are worried what this Endurance Run says about the future of that feature. Will we ever get a reasonably long ER again? Will we ever be able to experience a game alongside the GB crew like P4 or DP ever again? Will we ever see Jeff and Vinny together in an ER again? Even if we do, it might take over a year or more to get there. It's just a shame all around. 

But some content is better than no content, I guess. I wish I could be one of the Johnny-come-latelys that are enjoying it because of their reduced expectations and not having seen the previous ERs before. That ignorance is bliss.
    fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By fattony12000
    No Caption Provided
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Fattony12000 said:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for andrewbeardsley
    AndrewBeardsley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AndrewBeardsley

is this endurance run just Patrick and Ryan?

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheMustacheHero

It doesn't really matter if it's recorded in the past or not. What does matter is Ryan and Patricks humming of the battle theme. That's getting old.

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ToxicAntidote

@TheMustacheHero said:

It doesn't really matter if it's recorded in the past or not. What does matter is Ryan and Patricks humming of the battle theme. That's getting old.

I'm doing that whenever I play a game with catchy music, such as Chrono Trigger. Never gets old. =D

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Punk1984
    @matthias2437 said:

Also, this may blow your mind. They will some times film a few days worth at one time.

-*Kablow*- Mind blown

As someone who works in Video production; the only time it makes sense to not pre-record something is if it is done "live" and if you're not going to tell everyone you are doing it "live" there is no point to doing it "live." Which leads us back to the whole "this has been prerecorded" (or "pre-produced" as we say in da biz) thing.
    Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Mijati

It would make little sense for it to have been recorded a month ago, with that being in the middle of the busy release season and them having other games to play. Would be slightly disappointed if this is indeed the case, while there were sometimes a week or so of episode recorded in advance there was always the feeling of the viewers being a part of the journey through the game, experiencing it at the same time as those playing. If it is a month old that aspect of it is lost.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By toowalrus

@FluxWaveZ said:

@matthias2437 said:

Yes, but I think Jeff had specifically said that they were against the idea of pre-recording too early because how out-of-date their references or jokes might be during the ER. Perhaps Ryan and Patrick have a different philosophy or something.

Also, when in the video does Patrick say that? I don't recall it.

Yeah, I know that they relied on the comments a fair amount for tips and stuff too- they even did it live a few times- who knows though, Patrick's finished CT before, they probably just banged it out in a few weeks.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#47  Edited By yoshimitz707

http://mobile.formspring.me/profile/question/patrickklepek/265982951919978204

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@MythDarK said:

@TheMustacheHero said:

I'm doing that whenever I play a game with catchy music, such as Chrono Trigger. Never gets old. =D

You don't have thousands of people needing to listen to your humming of catchy music.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By MetalGearSunny

If that's true, then man, that's a huge bummer. Being recorded so far apart from when it's posted takes away a lot of the tension.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Flappy

@yoshimitz707 said:

http://mobile.formspring.me/profile/question/patrickklepek/265982951919978204

There was no way around a response like that, was there?

Well played, Mr. Klepek. Thank you, Yoshimitz.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.