Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Chrono Trigger

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 11, 1995

Take control of the lovable but silent protagonist Crono in this time-spanning collaborative effort from Squaresoft's "Dream Team." Chrono Trigger follows the exploits of Crono as he and his friends attempt to save the world from a planet-devouring alien creature.

Why exactly is this game so great?

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Yit

I'm about an hour in, and, while being a competent JRPG, I haven't noticed anything worth shouting from the rooftops about.

Does something awesome happen later?

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Meowayne

As far as I can tell, yes. I am 12 hours in and so far, it has long left Final Fantasy VI behind as best SNES RPG (in my view). Several years ago I played about an hour of it and wasn't impressed, just like you are now, and I quit there. I found it too... lighthearted, Crono and Marle were annoying, and I couldn't see the story going anywhere. But believe me, the pacing gets a lot better, and the whole thing becomes pretty dark.

Portal, World of Goo, Super Mario Galaxy, and to an extent the Metal Gear franchise, become awesome because you really feel that the developers  tried to constantly keep you entertained, to use a limited amount of gameplay mechanics and try to come up with as many interesting and fun ways to use them as they can. A good game has you say: "Oh. That's really cool." or "Great idea." at least once every 30 minutes. Chrono Trigger does that.

You really feel that every team (music, battle, script, graphics, etc.) tried to do it's best to make this a good, worthwhile storydriven adventure. The story gets pretty awesome really fast, and the time travel mechanics are implemented in a good way. There's really no boring or repetetive parts, even in dungeons. Speaking of which, the way "dungeons", storytelling sequences and other playable sequences are interconnected is excellent. You never go long without something new happening. The combat gets much better as well, although I must say the game is almost too easy.

I agree that the first one or two hours can be pretty forgettable. I suggest you play until you finished the first episode in the future, and then decide whether you want to continue or not.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By PureRok

I've played Chrono Trigger from beginning to end and I don't see what's so great about it. It was very meh. Final Fantasy VI easily beats it, as does Earthbound.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Hexpane
    PureRok said:
    "I've played Chrono Trigger from beginning to end and I don't see what's so great about it. It was very meh. Final Fantasy VI easily beats it, as does Earthbound."
    You're comparing Babe Ruth to Ted Williams and Carl Yaz.   CT, FFVI and Earthbound are ALL Hall of Fame games. 

I can see people wondering "whats so great" , people troll about that for every game that is considered great.  But to say CT isnt as good as FFVI is like saying Wine isn't as good as Beer, they are both BEST IN CLASS

CT like most great RPGs doesnt get really good until about 5 hours in.  I can't think of a single RPG I love that didn't take 5 hours to get great.  KOTOR, CT, FFTactics,  Everquest, Summoner, MOrrowind, Fallout... they all take time
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By StarFoxA

I've played the game through three times now, and every time I've love every minute of it. The Chrono universe is so diverse, so unique, and so much fun to explore.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By atejas

The story isn't pretentious, the characters are likeable while maintaining some depth, the music is awesome, and the combat system is pretty good.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By RenegadeSaint

Keep playing and give it time.  Once you start to see some of the plot twists and get to know the characters better, you'll enjoy it.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Are we talking of the original snes version or the DS version.
    I wont comment on the snes version since that is the greatest rpg or atleast one of them ever made.

But the DS version is a hacked port with a few added extras that aren't worth the 40 dollars asked, I paid 70-80 dollars when CT came out on snes, i paid 50 for Final Fantasy Chronicles, I refuse to pay another 40 for a game that isn't worth that price after all this time specially when it received next to no uprade.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hexpane
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "Are we talking of the original snes version or the DS version.
    I wont comment on the snes version since that is the greatest rpg or atleast one of them ever made.

But the DS version is a hacked port with a few added extras that aren't worth the 40 dollars asked, I paid 70-80 dollars when CT came out on snes, i paid 50 for Final Fantasy Chronicles, I refuse to pay another 40 for a game that isn't worth that price after all this time specially when it received next to no uprade."
    Why are you paying such high prices?

I got FFC for $19 new
    HiroSeven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HiroSeven

FFC was slightly expensive when it first came out, I bought it for about $40.00. It's the only version of CT that I have and its great! (The loading times sure suck though...)

Like others are saying, it will take a little time to get the story going... Remember this is a bit of an old and slower paced story than today's games that hit you with awesome opening sequences and put you right into the action from the get go (not saying that some older games were not like that).

I think CT maintains it's charm throughout the whole game, but each has their own style of play. 

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hexpane
    HiroSeven said:
    "FFC was slightly expensive when it first came out, I bought it for about $40.00. It's the only version of CT that I have and its great! (The loading times sure suck though...)

Like others are saying, it will take a little time to get the story going... Remember this is a bit of an old and slower paced story than today's games that hit you with awesome opening sequences and put you right into the action from the get go (not saying that some older games were not like that).

I think CT maintains it's charm throughout the whole game, but each has their own style of play. 

"
    Without a doubt it takes at least 2 hours for CT to get going.  But 2 hours of slowness is about the norm for GREAT RPGs.  Most of my fav RPGs start out very slow and build, like a great novel.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    Hexpane said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:
    "Are we talking of the original snes version or the DS version.

But the DS version is a hacked port with a few added extras that aren't worth the 40 dollars asked, I paid 70-80 dollars when CT came out on snes, i paid 50 for Final Fantasy Chronicles, I refuse to pay another 40 for a game that isn't worth that price after all this time specially when it received next to no uprade."
    Why are you paying such high prices?

I got FFC for $19 new"
    lol yeah you paid for it what 4 years now after it was released? i paid for it at launch.
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By VWGTI

Chrono Trigger really is as amazing as everyone says. Hopefully you'll keep playing and see how the story and characters all come together. The writing is so clever and well thought out. I think the game starts picking up when you begin helping Frog find a missing weapon. =)

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BrickRoad

The game constantly Rick Rolls you, before Rick Rolling was even around.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.