Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Color Cartridges

Concept »

Cartridges are typically one specific color for a particular console. But, on occasion, a game is released with a different color either for a limited edition, special occasion, or for marketing.

The Era of the Gold Cartridge

PatPandaHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By PatPandaHat

So, I'm staring at a copy of the N64 version of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. 

It's a gold cartridge, which for a reasonable span of time in video gaming was kind of a big thing to do to your cartridge, rather than stick with the drab grays and blacks available. Indeed, for a while it seemed like getting a banana-color DKC was almost as valued as any of the current collector's edition trinkets packed in with our current games. Maybe we were just easier to please back then.

Still, the last of these as far as I can recall, were the Pokemon series; which conveniently color-coded right up to the switch from the GBA to DS, I suppose. Which brings me to a thought. Would colorized DS catridges mean much any longer or has that era just passed by unheralded?

PatPandaHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By PatPandaHat

So, I'm staring at a copy of the N64 version of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. 

It's a gold cartridge, which for a reasonable span of time in video gaming was kind of a big thing to do to your cartridge, rather than stick with the drab grays and blacks available. Indeed, for a while it seemed like getting a banana-color DKC was almost as valued as any of the current collector's edition trinkets packed in with our current games. Maybe we were just easier to please back then.

Still, the last of these as far as I can recall, were the Pokemon series; which conveniently color-coded right up to the switch from the GBA to DS, I suppose. Which brings me to a thought. Would colorized DS catridges mean much any longer or has that era just passed by unheralded?

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By buft

I still have a gold Zelda i found in a skip with the NES, some dudes cleared it out of an old ladies attic, Zelda doesnt work unfortunately but the Mario game that was inside the NES and the NES both somewhat functional. on to the question, i dont think colour cartridges mean as much any more, it seems much less remarkable now, might be just me though but the novelty was much greater when games were rarer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.