Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released May 17, 2011

This installment of the Combat Mission series brings the fight to Normandy during the three months following the allied D-Day landings of June 1944.

Has anyone played this game? (4 year old thread)

ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ekajarmstro

This game looks really cool, it sounds like it uses a turn based system similar to Frozen Synapse where each player issues their orders then it plays out in real time. I was just wondering if anyone in the community has tried it -- there aren't that many reviews around. I'm downloading the demo... after all these steam sales it seems crazy seeing a downloadable game for $55.

gpbmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By gpbmike

@EkajArmstro: What did you think of the demo? I'm downloading it now.

ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ekajarmstro

@gpbmike: I haven't played much, but so far it is awesome. It reminds me of a tabletop wargame in many ways, and I think that might be the point as the idea for combat mission was from the board game Advanced Squad Leader. One thing really cool is that the mission objectives actually tell you real World War II tactics that it suggests you use. For example, it says to poke the tank turret through the hedgerow to suppress the enemy hedgerow and then put smoke up on the corners as that is where Germans usually put machine guns. There also seems to be an emphasis on one group of units moves while another covers them which reminds me of Full Spectrum Warrior.

Someone made a video tutorial for this game of them playing an entire mission in the turn based (WeGo I think it's called) system. It seems to show the game off well, but it is also an insane 2 hours 41 minutes long. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbE8795rt2s

gpbmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gpbmike

@EkajArmstro: Thanks for the link. That tutorial is terrible. Just throws you in there with no instruction. Quite intimidating for someone new to the series.

Yamoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Yamoto

NO looking at the screen shots it looks like fucking shit  

55 bucks how stoned are those dude who the fuck would want to pay 55 bucks for that game? 
    but who knows maby it will be mediocre 

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By inkerman

Just from briefly skimming that tutorial, it kind of reminds me of an updated Close Combat series.

gpbmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finally got around to buying this game a couple of years ago and I continue to be drawn to playing it over and over. I have not beaten any of the campaigns yet. Once I get through those I imagine I'll buy the Market Garden and Commonwealth expansions and then Fortress Italy and Red Thunder. And when I get through all of those, hopefully the next engine version will be done. :)

rujasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rujasu

Oh geez, Combat Mission. Still have the physical copy of CM2: Barbarossa to Berlin lying around somewhere. Still the best game in the series as far as I'm concerned.

As far as being the high command simulator goes, it's the best (and only) of it's kind. Sadly, on the tech side they're ancient garbage. I tried the demo for Black Sea, the newest one, and I really like the game but god damn it runs like shit for something that supposedly doesn't need more than 256Mb of VRAM. And the devs are the "We're too niche to be bothered with decent interface design"-kind of people, so that doesn't help either.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

I played the demo and it was fun. Their drm is insanely paranoid though, or it was the last time I checked. So no buy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.