Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Company of Heroes 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jun 25, 2013

Take command of the Russian forces and out-think the Nazis all the way to Berlin.

I need strategic help here

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

Alright, so I played a fair amount of the original Company of Heroes + Expansions back in the day. However, this was back in the day.

You see, this was years ago. I jumped into Company of Heroes 2 with a pretty firm grasp of a lot of the basic systems. I get how cover works, how resources are earned, vehicle armor facings, etc. Unfortunately, where I fall apart are the army specifics.

I've mostly played with the USSR against bots, but I've played a couple online matches as well. I open with conscripts, followed by more engineers, and then my 1st building. This is where it gets difficult; working towards a specific strategy or goal is based on the building you choose. Map control is important, I realize this, but what best achieves this?

Is it locking down key areas with machine guns, or instead getting snipers to harass enemy forces? I rarely build mortars, should I be? What exactly is that scout car for?

I usually go for the support weapons, but after this, my strategy kinda totally disappears. I'll just keep building conscripts until I have the fuel for T-34 tanks, and then attempt to bring in as many of those as possible (if I'm still alive at that point). I won't lie it kinda sucks, which is why I made this thread.

Basically, how do you decide which units to buy for any given game? Do you have any build orders or recommended units/upgrades? Any tips on this from other people in the beta right now would be great. And, tips on either faction are helpful, since I plan on playing Germans eventually. Thanks in advance

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By connerthekewlkid

I mostly just hold capture points with Half-Tracks filled with guard units.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've been playing lots of soviets, so I can just give you my build order.
    2 Conscripts
    Upgrade Molotov cocktail
    then another conscript or engi depending on what you want to do next

If they are going heavy grenadier squads I would go with the conscripts, but if they are going heavy machine gun nests I would use the engineer. Either way you need to claim as much ground as you can early game. Once phase 3 hits, you better have lots of Anit tank ready. Panzers right now are a massive bitch.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

@seedofpower: Yeah a single Panzer 4 will totally wreck a T-34 as if it was nothing. I have found this out the hard way multiple times.

I stopped relying on anti tank guns as I kept losing them to snipers and mortars, which might be a big part of the issue

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seedofpower: Yeah a single Panzer 4 will totally wreck a T-34 as if it was nothing. I have found this out the hard way multiple times.

I stopped relying on anti tank guns as I kept losing them to snipers and mortars, which might be a big part of the issue

Oh yeah, I found Guard Motor tactics with T-34 knockout charge works pretty well also. If you get up to 4 points and the combat moves away you can solo repair the T-34 or use Su-85's with scouts.

LarryDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

In the early days of the beta it absolutely seemed like Germans were crazy OP compared to USSR, like, they had lots of defensive capabilities that USSR didn't, as well as more powerful late-game armor. Pioneers could also hold their own fairly well against conscripts.

I'm not sure how it is now, but those mortar halftracks Germans could get were insanely useful, too.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Its kind of an obvious thing to say but I'd advise preventing your opponent from gaining key resources, cutting off their supply line to fuel and munitions will make them more likely to rely on basic units for a while.

Basically you want to force your opponent to play in a way in which you feel that you are capable of fighting them.

I find snipers super useful at taking out specialized infantry such as machine guns and mortars so I keep one hidden in a fairly central position and only reveal them to take out a key unit then retreat.

Last very obvious tip: Avoid loosing expensive units if at all possible in the late game.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buckybit said:

I found a Russian Steam user 2 days ago, who likes :

Germans (overall high-risk strategy)

early game:

• Engineer build T1
    • Send same engineers to capture fuel point
    • T1 build: 1. Grenadier 2. MG42 3.Grenadier 4. Mortar
    • send Grenadiers to capture 2nd fuel point
    • organize fuel capture defense with machine guns and keep Grenadiers in range of defense, while exploring further
    • capture ammunition points
    • update Grenadiers to MG
    • reserve 25points for your "Panzerfaust"

Russians (basic strategy)

Aggression wins: zerg-rush the capture points with (cheap) Infantry units - try to capture as many as early as you can - don't wait or save money for 'high'-strategy options. (Basically "human life is cheap" - refill with conscripts)

early game:

• 3 Infantry (don't waste time to build buildings in early game)
    • research Molotov cocktail
    • continue to attack
    • create additional Infantry
    • make grenades (vs flamethrower armed vehicles

mid/late game

• construct T4 vs German tanks
    • construct cheapest vehicle site
    • accumulate resources to build SU-85

Take down German tanks: 1. throw anti-tank grenades 2. finish off with SU-85

• construct SU76
    • call in constant artillery strikes

People in the comments say, they applied his tactics & strategy with success. It was all in Russian. I could have imagined all of this.

Of course, one sign of a superb quality RTS game is "there is no one way". It all depends on what you feel comfortable with, or what you may have to do, to react to your opponent. Dota2 rules apply? ;)

And here's a 30 seconds video of a strategy I used. Trying deception to distract German soldiers:

Loading Video...

Also, I stopped buying the field medics or at least in the early game. Germans have a hard time healing their infantry so soviets have it even for a little bit until troops start gaining veterancy.

jarowdowsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm still exploring some different tactics with the Soviets - mostly similar to the above. Anyone tried just ignoring any base building and using the commander abilities to bring in some additional units? I keep wanting to try that route and giving in the first time I see a machine gun crew :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.