Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Conker's Bad Fur Day

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 04, 2001

A comedy platform adventure featuring Conker, a drunkard, foul-mouthed red squirrel trying to find his way home after he awakes hungover in the middle of a field with a fuzzy memory and only the clothes on his back to accompany him.

30 minute video surfaces of "Twelve Tales Conker 64"

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By spiceninja

The video contains tons of brand new never before seen gameplay from the unreleased "Twelve Tales Conker 64", which was scrapped during development and retooled into Conker's Bad Fur Day. The game in the video is clearly unfinished with lots of aimless wondering about, but it does look like they did a ton of work on it before deciding to go in a completely different direction. I love Conker's Bad Fur Day but I'm also really disappointed we never got Twelve Tales. It looks like a classic Rare platformer and I think it could have been something special if they had decided to keep going in the same direction.

But then again, the whole reason they shifted direction was because, at the time, people were tired of Rare making cutesy platformers. So if it did end up coming out the way it was originally planned it more than likely would have gotten overlooked. But that's all complete speculation. I'll shut up now.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#2  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I dunno. If anything, this video convinced me that making it into the feces and cursing laden BFD was the right choice. While I'm sure that my 7 or 8 year old self would have enjoyed this game, it just kinda looks like yet another Rare platformer, but even more cutesy. Of course, cancelled games are always weird to look at because you know they were cancelled for a reason, and yet you still want to see what could have been.

Of course, what is even weirder is that the same youtube account has an hour of footage from pre-Star Fox Adventures Dinosaur Planet and how similar that looks to what eventually came out. Also something called Perfect Dark Core? Man. I miss Rare.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By AndrewB

And instead they went with immature pop culture humor.

This looks pretty good. Maybe a bit too similar to Mario 64 and sparse in its level design, but I imagine that would have been tooled for an actual release. Some interesting platforming and variety to the gameplay. No idea how it stacks up to what Bad Fur Day became, because I've seen very little of the actual gameplay from that game.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

@PlasmaBeam44 said:

But then again, the whole reason they shifted direction was because, at the time, people were tired of Rare making cutesy platformers.

I thought it was because they made this game already, and nobody likes Conker's Pocket Tales.

solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By solidlife

This makes me want a new CBFD :(

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6  Edited By spiceninja

@Video_Game_King said:

@PlasmaBeam44 said:

But then again, the whole reason they shifted direction was because, at the time, people were tired of Rare making cutesy platformers.

I thought it was because they made this game already, and nobody likes Conker's Pocket Tales.

I had never heard that. I always heard the reasoning behind the change was because when they first unveiled it it got a really poor response. People at the time were a little tired of Rare's same old cutesy platforming shtick and Twelve Tales looked even more cutesy than their previous games. They then unveiled it again later as Conker's Bad Fur Day as a big middle finger to all the people complaining. It was a like a "Fuck you, we're putting these cutesy characters into an incredibly vulgar and immaturish game. Have fun."

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

@PlasmaBeam44:

It's just speculation of mine. When I first saw all this Twelve Tales stuff, my first thought was, "Wow, that looks a lot like Conker's Pocket Tales." In fact, that game is pretty much the opposite of Bad Fur Day. It's the dark part of Bad Fur Day that it wishes to suppress and forget. In short, it's Shadow Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Bane122

It's interesting. If this had been the game that came out it may not have been as well received at the time but, I wonder if it would be looked back upon better historically. Check Conker out now and a lot of the gameplay and humor are pretty dated and most people don't seem to really care about the game anymore, yet from what I can tell the two Banjo games seem to be pretty fondly remembered. I can't help but think that if this was another straight up platformer it may have been better remembered. Then again, three games in a row like that may have been too much and people wouldn't have even checked it out to begin with.

All in all I'm glad they put out the game they did. It may not hold up well today but I had a damn blast with it back then.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By AndrewB

@Video_Game_King said:

@PlasmaBeam44:

It's just speculation of mine. When I first saw all this Twelve Tales stuff, my first thought was, "Wow, that looks a lot like Conker's Pocket Tales." In fact, that game is pretty much the opposite of Bad Fur Day. It's the dark part of Bad Fur Day that it wishes to suppress and forget. In short, it's Shadow Conker's Bad Fur Day.

I think Conker's Bad Fur Day is Shadow Conker's Pocket Tales/Conker 64, and obviously the shadow won.

Also, I wanted Pocket Tales so bad when I got my GBC, and I had little-to-no idea what it was.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By TheHT

THAT MUSIC.

SycoMantis91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By SycoMantis91

Yeah, the end result is definitely a much better game. if for no other reason that because it was entertaining and fresh. This does look like a solid game, but it definitely wouldn't have the staying power of titles like Banjo and Bad Fur Day with how overly-cutesy and simplified it is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.