Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Consortium

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jan 08, 2014

A first person immersive sci-fi RPG. Described by its developers as a "pure role-playing experience that obliterates the fourth wall."

So this looks insane? is it good?

PrimalHorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I have been watching the trailer a few times over the past couple of weeks and can't decide if I love what this game is offering or if I'm just baffled and don't understand what it is offering, letting my imagination fall in.

Is this just a murder mystery aboard a spaceship or is it actually an rpg?

Any one played it, looks like it could be novel/

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By TowerSixteen

I dunno, but apparently it is "Described by its developers as a "pure role-playing experience that obliterates the fourth wall.""

So I immediately hate it. Jesus.

russman588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I dunno, but apparently it is "Described by its developers as a "pure role-playing experience that obliterates the fourth wall.""

Yep, same thought from me. That quote just elicits a sigh from me. I still have cringemares from all the 4th-wall breaking in Fallout 2...

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

@russman588: Oh my goodness. I'm one of the people that contributed on Kickstarter for this, and just, wow.

This game was originally supposed to be released this past summer, and the delay was fine. Then it was pushed up until December. Then after the Steam holiday launch. Then an extra two day delay. And then it got released yesterday at something a little after 3pm (EST) for purchase (again, delayed time, but I'm just being nitpicky at this point).

But what about the funders?

A few short hours later, I received an email to fill out a survey via Kickstarter as to whether I wanted a Steam Key or not. Strange, but I filled it out and waited as patiently as I could. Meanwhile, I kept seeing Steam posts of select members having received their Steam keys and other also waiting still, and the Developer posts about sending out each Steam Key manually. What.

A little after 10:30pm that night, I got an email updating what the heck was going on. Regarding the Steam Keys:

We have sent out surveys to you all, and we have started sending out keys. However we chose the wrong method to get you keys (individually pasting a key into an email to each and every one of you...), and it's taking forever. We also just ran out of keys and requested a ton more (we underestimated how many of you have Steam accounts!).

Anyways, we are looking into getting the rest of you keys who want one via Humble's page, BUT will continue the individual method if necessary. Either way, we promise to get you a Steam key if you want one before the week is out. Thanks so much for your patience!

Luckily, the Humble Bundle download was finally accessible, and I downloaded that for today.

So this morning, after loading the game, I went and played for about 15 minutes in until I had a bug hit. A character got up to leave the room, but never fully left and instead blocked the door. Of course, this was the only door that I could leave through. I shut off the game and walked away.

And then I just learned about all the zillions of other bugs it has because they neglected to test such an expansive game with more than 20 people.

Now, you might think that because of this, I'm angry with the developer or have given up on Consortium all together. No way! I am certainly very frustrated, but remember that I did help fund this title. I really, really wanted this to happen and am still rather excited to get more involved in this as the story does have a strong appeal to me.

But I am just so amazed at all of these misses that occurred. How could they not know about the Steam Keys? If they knew they were going to send out all of these individually, why didn't they start sooner? And well, with the sheer number of story paths available in this title, why didn't they consider adding more people to the QA pool?

As I indicated earlier, again, I am merely frustrated. I am quite happy with how straight forward they have been throughout this whole process. If this had happened to pretty much any other developer on their first title, I don't think they would've done quite so well in that department. It's very reassuring and makes me glad that I helped give them this opportunity, albeit an incredibly buggy first ride.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will forever associate this word with Ric Flair. lol

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it for about 90 minutes. It's not a very good game. The graphics would've been bad 10 years ago, the voice acting is laughable, the animations are horrible, the combat is shit, and I was forced to reload three times after getting stuck in the geometry.

That being said, I find it kind of endearing... I really want to keep playing it to see where the story goes. Despite how bad almost everything about the game is, the story premise and the setting are actually pretty interesting, and the writing is decent from what I've seen.

Probably an okay purchase when it's like 99 cents on a Steam sale, but definitely not worth it right now.

jaycee13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That quote does sound awful out of context. Given the premise of the game however, I don't think it means what you think it does.

From the Steam store page:

"The story begins in our world - the "real world" - where we here at Interdimensional Games have developed a satellite (iDGi-1) capable of opening a digital rift through time and space...

Anyone with an internet connection can travel through this rift and awaken within an alternate dimension from our own - the "game world" - in the year 2042."

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaycee13 said:

@towersixteen said:

That quote does sound awful out of context. Given the premise of the game however, I don't think it means what you think it does.

From the Steam store page:

"The story begins in our world - the "real world" - where we here at Interdimensional Games have developed a satellite (iDGi-1) capable of opening a digital rift through time and space...

Anyone with an internet connection can travel through this rift and awaken within an alternate dimension from our own - the "game world" - in the year 2042."

Nope, that in no way makes it better. I just went to the store page to double-check, and if whoever wrote the copy for that page had any hand in actually writing the game I would lay money at it both being poorly written and monstrously pretentious.

Seriously, anyone reading this, go read it's steam store page and tell me I'm wrong. Post your own highlights, if your feeling frisky! Here's mine:

"A highly original energy based inventory system with original sci-fi weapons, gadgets and armor."

Though a close second:

"Built with a modified version of the SOURCE engine, explore ZENLIL, a living and highly interactive environment with complete freedom and agency. Includes turbulence and non-scripted decompression events! "

Both turbulence and non-scripted decompression, ya'll.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dezztroy

@towersixteen: To be fair, AAA games are no better in that regard. Taking a look at MGS:Rising on Steam:

"CUTSCENES" option added to the Main Menu. Play any and all cutscenes.

"GRAPHIC OPTIONS" added to the OPTIONS Menu. Modify resolution, anti-aliasing, etc.

There is an option reading "ZANGEKI" that will modify the amount of cuts you can make. (I can't tell if this one's even a proper sentence or not)

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

I watched some people play a stream of it. Check it out if you want. http://www.twitch.tv/kefkataran/b/493829678

It looked super crazy but also maybe interesting? Depending on what you like, you could hate it or just love it or anything in between. It's crazy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@towersixteen: I think those are fictional narrative events, I don't think they're creating ridiculously pretentious new gameplay terminology. I think turbulence and decompression refers to plot and setting stuff, not a risk-reward mechanic that balances out ludonarrative dissonance with what is ostensibly a gating mechanic....

randyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I would like a Quick Look of this. I'm kind of intrigued.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TowerSixteen

@brodehouse: No, I know. I was just laughing at "Includes turbulence" mainly, because it's such a meaningless and random thing to put. And I'm quite aware of the possibility that the person who wrote this had nothing to do with writing the game. But, as a kickstarted indie title, I think there's a good chance they DID, as well, and then went on to use "original" twice in the same sentence to describe their game.

And I have no idea whether this game is bad or not, just that the things I've happened to stumble upon about it don't exactly sell it well. Rather the opposite.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@towersixteen: aha I misunderstood.

Kickstarter has brought back the B-tier. Those games where you looked at the box and maybe it's an amateur looking piece of crap or maybe it's secretly great and a hidden treasure?

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brodehouse: Pretty much exactly, though I hadn't thought of it that way. That's kinda awesome, actually.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

We have sent out surveys to you all, and we have started sending out keys. However we chose the wrong method to get you keys (individually pasting a key into an email to each and every one of you...), and it's taking forever. We also just ran out of keys and requested a ton more (we underestimated how many of you have Steam accounts!).

No Caption Provided

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

@l33t_haxor: Yeeep. Luckily, they sent another update today saying the situation was taken care of and now each Humble Bundle has their own Steam Key to go with it. It's very face palmy.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

Saw it on Youtube and it looks surprisingly good considering how dated the visuals are. And by "looks good," I mean concept, execution, etc. Kinda like a futuristic Deus Ex or something. ...Futuristicker.

Everyone on the ship has a chess piece rank, they all have their personalities and you can interact with them and get +/- alignment with them. There are achievements for being loved and hated by everyone... it also looks like you're Omikron: The Nomad Soul or something (Or Sam Beckett, similar concept).

Definitely picking it up during the next Steam sale, but 17.99 seems like too much money for this game, especially when the A-list titles of the last generation I haven't gotten to are all going on clearance at this point.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#21  Edited By L33T_HAXOR

This does look pretty interesting... Maybe we can get a quick look?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.