Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Contradiction: Spot The Liar!

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jan 13, 2015

An FMV murder mystery adventure game in which the player must identify characters' contradictory statements to solve the case.

Didn't expect this response!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-61b64fdbd7632
    deactivated-61b64fdbd7632

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Loading Video...

BrianP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@equitasinvictus: Haha, awesome! I'm the actor who plays Kyle... F***ing Teens always putting hessian bags on detective's heads!

Hahaha, the gang's (almost) all here! Looking forward to seeing more of your devilish hi-jenks as the series continues.

edgeCrusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By edgeCrusher

I finally got around to watching the videos Vinny and co. put up of this. I think I was half way through the second one and bought the Steam version. Everything about this is great!

thepullquotes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actively watched all the responses, because I wanted more.

CountMacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Found a tenner in my wallet and picked this little beauty up today. Now I face the dilemma of whether to play through it before GBeast play more, or watch along with their playthrough.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@countmacula: As someone who played the game to completion in between watching the 2nd (Supplemental) video and the 3rd (GBE Playdate) video, I can't recommend enough playing it and then watching the rest of the content here. I found watching while knowing what was going to happen (or what the guys are missing) a very enjoyable experience.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@countmacula: I'd also say playing it first. I watched a bit of the first video then decided the game was right up my alley so bought it and didn't come back to Vinny & Co until I'd finished it.

Rattlebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just picked this up on Steam. Don't know if I'm going to play it myself or watch the GBeast guys on their playthrough, but wanted to support the game and hope for future installments.

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
    WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna buy the steam version soon as I get paid. Would get it on android too if it gets a release!

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I definitely wanted to support you guys based on how awesome you've all been, so I bought myself a copy. The game is a ton of fun and I have to imagine you all had a laugh working on it!

Either way, cheers to all of you. The reaction from the actors and team has been great!!!

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#213  Edited By notnert427

@alex: Someone had to do it. :)

No Caption Provided

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#214  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By notnert427

@chaser324: Oh, it's out there. For anyone who wants it, just search my same handle under content creator on the standard 458 Italia. It's a joke that 99.9% of the Forza community won't get, but I love the idea that somewhere out in the majesty of virtual Tuscany, a Ferrari with this livery might one day zoom by someone who knows what THIS is.

\m/

aharonw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MuftyRiots that's fantastic!! We live walking distance away from each other then, how bizarre is that?!! Next time you're in the Windle Island Starbucks you can say hello and make me feel famous!

johnnymcginley Yes Midsomer Murders was definitely an influence, we even approached John Nettles to play the chief but his agent turned us down! Taggert however... maybe a Wicker Man Scottish location would be good for the sequel!

WOW. Love you going straight for the top with Nettles. We got Jenks in Rupert Booth tho, and I daresay Nettles wouldn't have pulled the role off the way we all love Jenks as he is now.

aharonw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's easy to see that fans of compelling murdery mysteries that were burned on the second season of True Detective, finally have a thriller to look forward to enjoying. Suspense has a black hat and throwing up horns.

Wow. My thoughts exactly. Though Fortitude took a secure win this year in the compelling murder mystery department. True Detective S2 tho... sigh... Meh.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aharonw: John Nettles gave me a dirty look once.

It was my own fault - I'd fallen asleep in the RSC...

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

mathey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man I love this community.

\m/

sQuadr0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By sQuadr0n

HAHA so glad I found this thread after the last Beastcast. This game is amazing and so much fun to watch these guys play it as well. Hell this story so far is exceedingly better than the entire Season 2 of True Detective so far, writing and all! Cant wait for "The Sequel" and I hope they really expand on what they did well with this one and go crazy with the conspiracies, even as red hearings at times. Love great mysteries.

Please GBeast, if your reading, Keep going with the series! We need a Metal Gear Scanlon style series from the Beast crew and this would be the perfect way to start!

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New challenge: Insert Jenks to all episodes of The Crystal Maze that Richard O'Brien hosted.

PMMCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm on Linux so I can't even play the game, but after today's Beastcast, I'll be purchasing this tonight. I was kinda planning on buying it already, but I'd have to play it on another machine, so I've been avoiding it. These guys are such good sports, though, that I'll support whatever they want to do next, whether it be a sequel (can they capture magic in a bottle twice?) or something new and different and just as wacky, which is even more exciting to me.

Thanks @contradictionvg for the good times so far and hopefully more in the future. You've made a lot of fans at Giant Bomb. \m/

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Just bought the game and it's amazing. Not sure if you'll respond here but how have sales been? Any chance for a sequel?

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#228  Edited By BaneFireLord

Just bought the game on iPad. If you're still monitoring this thread, thanks for making such a fantastic bit of brilliant nonsense!

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By TehBuLL
    qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This should be the cover of a Current 93/gangsta rap/alternative country collaboration we are all waiting for.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:

New challenge: Insert Jenks to all episodes of The Crystal Maze that Richard O'Brien hosted.

Oh wow, he would be a PERFECT host for a new Crystal Maze.

pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By pekoe212

Just finished playing it and it left me wanting more more more more! Love how many different threads there were to the story, and definitely want to see where all the ones left hanging go. Enjoyed replaying some of the conversations as certain parts always made me giggle. You can really tell the actors are all in, in the funny moments and the serious ones, and that makes all the difference. Somehow my favorite moment is Jenks triumphantly unlocking the car. What's really cool though is that you manage to shift into tense, spooky moments without it feeling jarring...the scene in the house at the end of the lane legitimately creeped me out. Got stuck on a few contradictions toward the end, but considering the volume of information and detail you are gathering it was usually easy for me to figure out which topic I should be focusing on. So much fun and I hope you can make a sequel!

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@notnert427: that made my laugh loud in my break room at work and everyone looked at me like I was crazy. Nice work!

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#235  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@qrdl said:

This should be the cover of a Current 93/gangsta rap/alternative country collaboration we are all waiting for.

I applaud the C93 reference. Yeah, David Tibet probably is into scrying. If nothing else, I got some Boyd Rice vibes off the Rands in the game.

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By qrdl
    @fisk0 said:
    @qrdl said:

I applaud the C93 reference. Yeah, David Tibet probably is into scrying. If nothing else, I got some Boyd Rice vibes off the Rands in the game.

Stranglely, it was the font which reminded me of Dog's Blood RIsing. Only then I made the occult/mystery religion connection. Though I think in reality Tibet is a fairly knowledgable gnostic-leaning Christian.

DrStrangepork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also wanted to echo the sentiments here in this thread and say thanks for making such a charming game. I bought a copy off Steam shortly after watching the Quick Look to show support. We all hope to see more from you hopefully sooner than later.

dreffen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By dreffen

Bought this for my Mother. She really likes mystery games, and with the added fact that it is FMV, I think it will be a special experience for her. I really love how the 'Contradiction' cast and crew embraced this video series (Fantastic bit on the 7/24 Beastcast btw). You all created something special and nostalgic. Also, it struck the perfect balance of acting in something like this.

I can't wait to see another game like this from Baggy Cat! All the same actors, different characters. Maybe an anthology detective series...

On the record. I relinquish the idea of ownership and/or rights to it... Please use it...

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You made something special here, i love all the transition video and how it all smoothly blends together, how quick the map is, and of course the acting and characters :D, also not many games set in the UK which is cool for me because i am too.
    It has flaws sure, but it doesn't take more than a few seconds to learn how the ui works so it's not going to kill anyone... except the guy at rockpapershotgun apparently.

Well done, and i look forward to your future endeavors.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By Shindig

Its bought. Happy to help. It's the charming acting which has me smiling.

Avatar image for contradictionvg
    ContradictionVG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just have to say again - this community is fantastic!! I know I'm biased but hey, honestly! Thanks again for all this brilliant support and confirmation of my stupid game, it is so very much appreciated.

I was thinking about this forum today (while wandering around Wales, fretting, with no internet connection) and thinking how everyone 'gets' the tone we were after with this - I was wondering, is this a British thing? I mean, the idea from the start was that it would have a Hammer sort of vibe, i.e., being OTT but never doing that thing of giving a nod and wink to the viewer as if to say 'hey we know you know it's crazy!' which I really hate because I think it ruins the whole thing - but what I was wondering was, surely this was what Hammer were thinking even back then too? I mean, who on those films - the director, screenwriter, actors, etc - were actually taking it deadly seriously?! I mean, how could you?!! Just thinking out loud... :)

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@contradictionvg: I think I'm going to have to revise my elevator pitch for Contradiction.

Midsomer Murders meets Withnail & I, where all the cast are Withnails...

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#243  Edited By Superkenon

@contradictionvg: It might be somewhat of a British thing. Living over here in the States, a lot of folks have long described British humor as "dry," largely citing the likes of Monty Python and their trend of (relative) straight-faced deliveries of completely absurd concepts -- whereas the general tendency of American comedy is to pretty much always say silly things in silly voices, so as to tip one's hat. The ol' nudge nudge, wink wink, as you say. That's a generalization, of course, and it's not to say "British humor" isn't appreciated on this side of the pond -- because it very much is.

(I realize Monty Python isn't most relevant example, since it's rather overtly silly in the grand scheme of things. I bring it up because it's just the American go-to for "THIS IS WHAT BRITISH HUMOR IS.")

I've always been partial to the tongue-in-cheek shenanigans you describe, and that's probably why I'm way into what this game's doing. I mean, if I understand you, you're not setting out to create a comedy so much as you are lovingly constructing a piece of camp... that just so happens to be massively entertaining in its very form, eh?

Anyway, I offer my kudos and thanks to you as well. Contradiction is as brilliant as it is silly, and it's truly brightened up my month! (And I do mean that 'brilliant' part. To simply call this game 'dumb,' even if affectionately, is underselling the piece. If it wasn't for all the nice touches like the notebook cuts, the thoughtful establishing shots, and the other little things keeping everything flowing together well, this just plain wouldn't work!)

thepantheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

um sorry this image is fucking amazing.

funwithphobias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@contradictionvg: It's cheesy, but sometimes I'll be thinking over story elements and have real "ah HA!" moments. The relationship between Ryan and his father is really interesting. No wonder the guy is the way he is (Ryan).

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notnert427 said:

No Caption Provided

I would also accept "Get Busy Livin', or Get Busy Scryin' ".

TyrellOCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@contradictionvg Thank you for making an entertaining videogame.

Keep thinking about what makes it so special and the only logical answer is there's a good heart at it's centre. It's not cynical, crass or making a big joke out of FMV, it's simply fun.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the game and downloading it when I can to support the hope of a sequel; The Continuing Adventures of Inspector Jenks.

dewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just have to say again - this community is fantastic!! I know I'm biased but hey, honestly! Thanks again for all this brilliant support and confirmation of my stupid game, it is so very much appreciated.

I was thinking about this forum today (while wandering around Wales, fretting, with no internet connection) and thinking how everyone 'gets' the tone we were after with this - I was wondering, is this a British thing? I mean, the idea from the start was that it would have a Hammer sort of vibe, i.e., being OTT but never doing that thing of giving a nod and wink to the viewer as if to say 'hey we know you know it's crazy!' which I really hate because I think it ruins the whole thing - but what I was wondering was, surely this was what Hammer were thinking even back then too? I mean, who on those films - the director, screenwriter, actors, etc - were actually taking it deadly seriously?! I mean, how could you?!! Just thinking out loud... :)

Honestly, if I'd just purchased this off of Steam and played it, I'm not sure if I would have gotten the humor. But with a little nudge from the GB folks, I went from not really getting it to being really enthralled, both by the serious parts of the story and silly bits.

I bought a copy in hopes that the video series finishes up here on Giant Bomb. It's like playing a game with your best friends who each individually get a little bit of the comedy, ending up with the group as a whole really getting the whole picture,

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished it and didn't realize it was a kickstarted game until the credits rolled. I'd definitely be on board for helping fund a sequel.

Absolutely loved my time with it, great job to all involved.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

One thing I haven't a ton of people actively talking about is the core contradiction mechanic, so I wanted to bring it up and say that I absolutely adore it. It's a simple idea, but the whole concept of catching a liar out when they accidentally slip up is super clever, and incredibly satisfying when you pull it off. It has somewhat of a Columbo feel to it (much as the crew said in the initial video), especially with Jenks's delivery of "but in that case, how could you have been..." When that lightning bolt hits in your mind and you connect the dots (especially if you catch the contradiction exactly as they say it) the feeling of satisfaction is sublime.

Thanks again to everyone involved for making such a lovable thing and being so engaged with the GB community after their positive response!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.