Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Contradiction: Spot The Liar!

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jan 13, 2015

An FMV murder mystery adventure game in which the player must identify characters' contradictory statements to solve the case.

Didn't expect this response!!!

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@y2ken: Agreed. It's a clever mechanic that really makes you immersive yourself into the story, keeping track of everything the people say... or at least, trying to.

thallium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having grown up on adventure games and a lot of 90s FMV games this was a real surprising gem. It reminded me in a lot of ways of the Tex Murphy games and I was more than happy to buy it after seeing the initial Quick Look. I've probably bought more games I had never heard of because of Vinny. Vinny has the best taste.

I didn't mind the interface after I got used to it, I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. Sometimes it's nice to play an entire game with just the keyboard!

Vinny is like a truffle pig, rooting out hidden games. Some of them turn out to be turds and some turn out to be gems but he always makes them interesting.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#253  Edited By UitDeToekomst
    No Caption Provided

Apparently, Richard Dawson's been down with this shit since 1978

HUD209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished watching the last episode with my wife and we both loved it. Fantastic game, I will be picking it up to support the dev and hopefully the sequel.

I'm sure I have seen the guy who played Ryan somewhere before, but I'm having trouble finding any information. It was possibly an advert on British television, my wife was thinking the Admiral insurance adverts but I'm not sure.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: To me Contradiction is, in a lot of ways, Phoenix Wright done right. The main thing is that in Ace Attorney you'll have plenty off times, especially during cross examination, where you'll see the contradiction but do not know which item it is that will trigger Phoenix revealing that contradiction. It always gets pretty damn confusing in the later cases of the games. In Contradiction there weren't that many cases where this happens, and most of the times when it does it's because you've heard someone else say something that you can't use on the person you're interviewing. In Contradiction, if you get stuck it's largely on you.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#257  Edited By Superkenon

@retris: I think the games are more similar than you realize. The trick to Ace Attorney is that the contradictions you're looking for aren't based on the entire concept of a piece of evidence, but more specifically what's written in its text. Granted, the games don't do great at pointing this out, but once you realize you're looking for direct text-based contradictions, you basically never run into a "well, why didn't that work there??" situations. It plays by good rules... once you realize what they are, haha.

The crucial thing Contradiction does, I think, is not punish you for getting something wrong. There's a lot of "this seems like a contradiction!" moments that would've been frustrating if you lost some kind of health when it came back negative, that you could instead just shrug at and move on. There's really no great reason to have a game over state in this sort of game, and Ace Attorney can certainly do without it. There's a moment or two where the risk of losing your entire life bar adds a fun tension, but... having to start a case over for any reason would be decidedly lame.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superkenon: I do realize the games are very similar, it's why I compared the game to a Nicolas Cage version of Ace Attorney earlier in the thread. It's just that I feel Contradiction's execution is much better than Ace Attorney's.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

We need a sequel asap. I need to learn more about the Atlas cult!

tdervan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Regardless of the kinks this is a blast to play. Great work

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually finished Contradiction now and just want to say that it's great! The contradictions are a lot of fun to figure out, and I really liked the performances/scenes. Just needs a better UI and more well-rounded ending to be perfect.

Keep up the good work, duders!

lachrymoses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are a lot of things that could be better with the UI but tthe map and how you can use it to move throughout the game was well done. Better than most other games in the genre, I would say.

pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Game's great! My only gripe is that the subtitles were full of typos and grammatical errors (like missing commas before "Inspector", lose/loose, role/roll). In these days of kids listening to music loudly and more hearing issues, it would be nice if the subs got a bit of a sanity check for the sake of the sanity of people who rely on the subs in games.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

@dudeglove said:

You sound like someone who would appreciate the Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright games. Both Contradiction and PW have a very similar structure, and sense of humor.

This is definitely a really great comparison. I think I do really appreciate the way Contradiction handles it, and the FMV will always earn it a special place in my heart. It's kind of the mechanics of Phoenix Wright jammed into the structure of L.A. Noire, I suppose. Instead of looking for "tells" because they have actors, they still keep it to the core statements, which feels more compelling to catch people out on - spotting actual slip-ups beats a hunch that someone isn't quite telling the truth. But you're totally right that they do hold a lot of core similarities.

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

In Contraction 2, Jenks comes to the USA to solve a murder. People don't take him serious though as he walks around going "What if I did....THIS??" and flashing devil signs.

SegaZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I only just finished it and can barely wait for Contradiction 2: Satanic Boogaloo.

dpresting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We all agree that Ryan Rand/John Guilor is the long lost son of Roger Allam right?

No Caption Provided

Bezerker85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#268  Edited By Bezerker85

I'm not that happy with this one but its a start. I think I need to make it bigger so I can give it better proportions. Also thinking about making the mask for him to hold in his other hand, but its kind of hard to do tiny 8-bit circles & crescent moons. Also, his hat almost looks more cowboy than detective.

No Caption Provided

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nulix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Pretty sure this should be posted here. Great work by the way! Fantastic game and an absolutely great GB video series :)

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@nulix said:
    Loading Video...

Pretty sure this should be posted here. Great work by the way! Fantastic game and an absolutely great GB video series :)

Welp, that's pretty great.

Elwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dpresting: Yep Agree, It was one of the first things I mention, in the chat, when I saw him. Speed Racer is the role I thought of first, that scene were Speed Racer turns down the offer to come work for Royalton.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.