Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Contradiction: Spot The Liar!

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jan 13, 2015

An FMV murder mystery adventure game in which the player must identify characters' contradictory statements to solve the case.

Tim Follin has sequel plans! Let's make this happen!

• 55 results
    aharonw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

http://steamcommunity.com/app/373390/discussions/0/537402115090920639/#c541906348032508293

In which the developer writes about his plans for a potential sequel. I'm salivating right now:

Quote:

I'd love to make a sequel! To be perfectly honest (and come clean!) the budget limitation was the main reason why I couldn't do many of the things I had in mind for this. The original script idea included conclusions to most of the story threads left hanging in this, so Kaleb you're exactly right - a sequel would probably tie up these threads but they wouldn't form the main game, they'd actually lead into a related but quite different story. There are many things I'd like to do given a decent budget, not least add to the physical interaction aspect of the game, allowing many more options of movement within each location, etc. As regards the story, I imagine a coastal setting, the game taking place over a week rather than a night (going through night and day) and a much wider structure, allowing you to play any one of a number of different branches simultaneously and most likely a brain-washed community committing all kinds of depraved crimes! Here's hoping!!

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds dope. Looking forward to the story possibly being branching.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm very interested to see whether game sales and/or a publishing deal pay for the development of the sequel, or if Tim will look again to crowdfunding. Either way, I am in . Very in.

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
    WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could imagine this being my first ever donation to crowdfunding!

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

I was thinking that this game seems like a really solid foundation for something that could be fantastic with a bigger budgeted followup. My main thing would be that I would really like it if instead of just spotting a person's contradictions, you could also use the evidence found by talking to other people to call someone out on their lies. Seems to be the main thing missing in this game.

aharonw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven10 said:

I was thinking that this game seems like a really solid foundation for something that could be fantastic with a bigger budgeted followup. My main thing would be that I would really like it if instead of just spotting a person's contradictions, you could also use the evidence found by talking to other people to call someone out on their lies. Seems to be the main thing missing in this game.

I liked it the way it was in terms of contradictions. IRL, you can't call out one person for someone else's inconsistencies. The person would just trash the person contradicting them. But it they themselves are caught in a lie based on their own statements, that can be pretty compelling.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this happens and I hope they get some decent help with promotion and stuff. If Devolver can publish Hatoful Boyfriend they can publish this.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds dope. Looking forward to the story possibly being branching.

Might be asking for too much, but to further this point, I'd love it if they went the Sherlock Crimes & Punishment route and you could finger whoever (or some limited number of options) based on how you stacked the evidence against them. Don't have to get the right person, just the one you can convict...

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds good. I just hope they don't lean too heavily on the sillier bits. It's easy to gifize the devil horns and other aspects of the game but I don't want an entire game of that.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

As long as they keep playing it completely straight and they don't try to leverage this community to make it happen I'm all for it.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

Is Contradiction's Tim Follin the same Tim Follin who composed amazing video game music in the 80s and 90s? And if so, why isn't music like this and this and this playing constantly while Jenks walks around making his weird faces?

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icemael: Yes, it is. And yes, that type of music should be playing throughout :)

aharonw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might put some folks off with this suggestion but they should really launch a new Kickstarter while the GB coverage and hype is still fresh.

I mean the budget for this one was only 4k, surely it could beat that?

aharonw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By aharonw

@zabant said:

I might put some folks off with this suggestion but they should really launch a new Kickstarter while the GB coverage and hype is still fresh.

Absolutely! It's a no brainer IMHO. Strike while the iron is hot. There were only 156 people on the first one, this one is bound to get more than that. Only question is if they get enough money from the first one to make it worthwhile.

And, if Tim Follin still has the energy to jump right into another one. Seems like with all the coding hell he went through, it took a lot out of him.

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aharonw said:
    @zabant said:

Absolutely! It's a no brainer IMHO. Strike while the iron is hot. There were only 156 people on the first one, this one is bound to get more than that. Only question is if they get enough money from the first one to make it worthwhile.

And, if Tim Follin still has the energy to jump right into another one. Seems like with all the coding hell he went through, it took a lot out of him.

If he makes enough money from KS he should find someone else to do the coding for him, get them to bring the original to consoles also.

Leaves him to focus on the more enjoyable directorial aspects of the project, which are probably less soul draining.

aharonw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zabant said:
    @aharonw said:
    @zabant said:

If he makes enough money from KS he should find someone else to do the coding for him, get them to bring the original to consoles also.

Leaves him to focus on the more enjoyable directorial aspects of the project, which are probably less soul draining.

EXACTLY! They can just call Ryan Rand anyway and hire that IT prisoner they have locked up. The fat and sweaty guy. He'll code it!

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I really hope there's a sequel now both because of how fun it's been and also... mmm.. I didn't find that ending satisfactory is the only thing I'll say without spoiling it for anyone who didn't watch that ending live or hasn't played it yet.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Fuck it, I would throw 20 at a sequel. Honestly I wouldn't want a continuation of the events of Contradiction 1, rather a new adventure for Jenks. But Im willing to gamble of them now.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the idea of a depraved community. Make this shit happen!

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like this idea very much.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So long as they keep their goals within the realm of possibility, I'd be all for it.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BladedEdge

Like I have never donated to a crowded funding/kick-starter project. Not once, not even for games I absolutely wanted for a decade or more (all the big BG2 type CRPGS)...but this? I'd help fund this.

If the budget for the first game was as small as mentioned, like 4k dollars? Then I would think from GB premium members alone you could raise double, triple or quadruple that. I mean imagine it, lets have the whole GBeast crew make cameos in the game, and so on.

I've no idea how much of a bump this game got because of GBeast's coverage of it, but given the outpouring of thanks and the effort the people invovled with the game have gone too to thank the community..That audio bit on the beastcast was tremendous..and even talking on these very forums, it seemed to have had a genuine positive impact.

So yah, by all means, plug a kickstarter to fund the sequel. Just, yah. Don't fall into the trap of trying too hard to make something campy.

Nulix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope one of the stretch goals are cameo roles by Vinnie, Austin and Alex. Man after that ending a sequel feels super necessary.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nulix said:

cameo roles by Vinnie, Austin and Alex.

Just tell me a number and how many cheques I need to write.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A possible sequel? Oh man that would be beyond awesome! I'm normally not into murder mystery games but this one has held my attention and ran with it. The acting, the story, the presentation...all awesome! Here's to hoping they are able to fund it!

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aharonw: I think this would be the perfect walking music

The sequel should probably about Jenks going full Fox Mulder and investigating the Randian Satanist Illuminati that apparently ties multinational companies together. He would naturally have to bring James with him as the expert on these things. I would call it "James and Jenks Investigations: The Vape of the Gods"

outlawtorn13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go kickstarter, I'm in

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck it, I would throw 20 at a sequel. Honestly I wouldn't want a continuation of the events of Contradiction 1, rather a new adventure for Jenks. But Im willing to gamble of them now.

Dude, don't say this. I have to see Atlas' evil devil worship orgies. You know you want it too.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@marokai: oh sure I do to, I'm fine if Ryan and Paul return, but I don't want to see Simon, Emma, James, etc again. Actually I want to see the same actors, just in different roles.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By Superkenon

Ending spoilers:

It was interesting that all the Atlas stuff ended up being almost entirely unrelated to the crime itself. Makes me wonder just how much they had to cut out due to budgetary concerns -- or if, indeed, it was intended that way all along. Either way, I'd think the most satisfying move from here would be to connect the sequel to the threads they set up here. The story of Atlas and its crazy satanic influences must continue!

UracilHokeNut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superkenon:

I'm not too sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, I really do want to see the threads of Atlas wrapped up and a definitive answer to everything that happened. My personal theory is that Vape Gawd is right on the money and these "Prime Candidates" are essentially brainwashed human slaves that Atlas then sells to their "multinational connections".

At the same time, I think a mystery-solving game where you've already figured out 70% of the mystery in the previous installation would be much less compelling. In mystery game series that I really loved, like 999/VLR or Danganronpa, the central mystery of the first game is wrapped up neatly, and the sequel deals with a different mystery in the same world. I think I'd rather see (say) some DLC wrapping up the Atlas stuff, and have the sequel deal with something completely different.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have $20 just rotting in PayPal that need a good home. I'd love to chip in for a sequel. \m/

dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After buying the PC and iOS versions I still want more Contradiction! Would glady put in 50$ for a kickstarter :)

Slang_N_Bang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would gladly donate to a sequel kickstarter, this game was charming as hell.

aharonw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superkenon:

I'm not too sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, I really do want to see the threads of Atlas wrapped up and a definitive answer to everything that happened. My personal theory is that Vape Gawd is right on the money and these "Prime Candidates" are essentially brainwashed human slaves that Atlas then sells to their "multinational connections".

At the same time, I think a mystery-solving game where you've already figured out 70% of the mystery in the previous installation would be much less compelling. In mystery game series that I really loved, like 999/VLR or Danganronpa, the central mystery of the first game is wrapped up neatly, and the sequel deals with a different mystery in the same world. I think I'd rather see (say) some DLC wrapping up the Atlas stuff, and have the sequel deal with something completely different.

I agree. The new game HAS to have a new mystery at its core, ALONG with the continuation of the overarching conspiracy mystery established in this one.

Like The Killing (US version, Yes - I enjoyed it, flame away) and Broadchurch successfully did.

Nulix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aharonw said:
    @thankyougiantbomb said:

@superkenon:

I agree. The new game HAS to have a new mystery at its core, ALONG with the continuation of the overarching conspiracy mystery established in this one.

Like The Killing (US version, Yes - I enjoyed it, flame away) and Broadchurch successfully did.

I agree I think Jenks going somewhere new for a new mystery and then as it goes along more is revealed and Atlas is somehow involved in a different way could continue the unanswered threads of the first one while also giving a brand new mystery and characters.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#38  Edited By Bollard

@icemael said:

Is Contradiction's Tim Follin the same Tim Follin who composed amazing video game music in the 80s and 90s? And if so, why isn't music like this and this and this playing constantly while Jenks walks around making his weird faces?

I never knew Pictionary was so intense.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard said:
    @icemael said:

Haha, this one is a fucking jam.

Magnulus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funny thing:
    I once jokingly (well, HALF-jokingly) said that I wanted the sequel to uncover that Simon was in fact the leader of a sex cult with full-on kink orgies. No word of a lie, his response was "Simon was going to have a whole extra section of story kicked off by him running away from the interview, but we didn't have the budget." He never told me if my "deleted scenes" had anything to do with a Sense8-style pile of skin and sweat and saliva, but I'll keep that thought in my head for a looooong time. :D

So when the GBeasties first started on about Eyes Wide Shut, I was understandably wistful...

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnulus: I wouldn't mind if Contradiction 2 was entirely about orgies and the best conversation strategies for a guy in a hat to lie his way into one.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

@bollard said:
    @icemael said:

Haha, this one is a fucking jam.

Thank you for this, no word of a lie, this is a real fucking jam.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@qrdl said:

@magnulus: I wouldn't mind if Contradiction 2 was entirely about orgies and the best conversation strategies for a guy in a hat to lie his way into one.

Erm... I don't think you want exposure to British orgies.

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:
    @qrdl said:

Erm... I don't think you want exposure to British orgies.

Hey, I'm a man who can almost lick his nipples. Who am I to expect anything more than a Louis Theroux type situation?

BTW, have you seen this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NOj4XUk1_Y ?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I did THIS:

No Caption Provided

Would it mean anything to you?

pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnulus: When puzzling over one of the final contradictions, I got stuck on Paul's comment that Ryan "preferred blondes" and the only blonde I could think of was Simon (Lisa might be blonde too?) and once I thought about it I could not unthink it. Simon and Ryan would have the most gloriously dysfunctional relationship, Simon being so devoted to Atlas and wanting to please Ryan so much...Ryan enjoying the power over others...I feel that would tie in nicely with ritual sex orgies in the mirror room or what have you. That's my idea and I'm sticking to it! Ryan/Simon shipper 4 life!

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was hoping the mirror room was the place for a final showdown where Jenks suddenly learns Kung Fu.

Magnulus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig I dig the way you think, that was a real missed opportunity.

@pekoe212 That is a great interpretation, and you're completely right! A properly messed up power balance in a relationship between two men who consider themselves Top Dog in their own environment. Now if only people would start writing Contradiction Slash Fiction. :D (*cough* I didn't officially say that. Tim would PROOOOOBABLY kill me if I instigated porn fiction... But it would be worth it.)

pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By pekoe212

@magnulus: I did threaten to write fan fiction in another thread (it's not like I had any experience with that as a sad teenager....nooope). I would aspire to write lines worthy of that fanfiction_txt Twitter account. I must study.

EDIT: I've got it. Crowd-sourced slash fiction, everyone take turns writing a line! It would be so bad. So terrible. Erotically unspeakable.

@shindig Mirrors. Kung fu. YES.

The_Boots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I was watching a Stream on Twitch where they were giving away a few games, so I thought I'd give them a REAL game to look forward to. I bought an extra Steam key to raffle off, because we need to get the word out to everyone if we want our sequel! So find a buddy who you know would enjoy it and make their day by giving them an awesome game!

Make the world a better place by spreading the joy of Contradiction! We need to keep spreading the word!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.