Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Control

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Aug 27, 2019

Dive into a dark and brutalist-inspired world where daily reality has been corrupted by an otherworldly force.

Can anyone salve my buyer's remorse?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I picked this game up yesterday and have put about 3-4 hours into it, and right now I am regretting that I paid $60 for it. I bought this game in hopes of getting a fun sci-fi mystery with varied combat. So far I find the storytelling lackluster - the main character's internal monologues being particularly poor - and the combat too loose and messy.

I keep hearing that all the collectible writing is one of its strongest assets, and while I do like a lot of the world-building found in them, I find the use of swearing in these internal office documents to be majorly lazy writing that does not fit in the context of the world at all. Ok, so the agency isn't monitored closely by the Government, that doesn't mean that these documents can never be seen by higher-ups, and the director seems to be a pretty old school type who would never tolerate this kind of language in official documents. It really just seems like the writers were too lazy to avoid these words and every time I read one it immediately takes me out of the world.

Now the combat. The shooting is just too loose for my taste but I've gotten used to it for the most part. With that being said the game doesn't take any time to explain to you anything more than the mere basics - things I already assumed just by knowing its a shooter - and it doesn't offer much in terms of situational awareness when in combat. Then the fact that health regen in combat is solely dedicated to health drops from enemies I find myself dying a lot more than I would like because enemies aren't always dropping health when I need it. This wouldn't be that big of a deal if the game had good checkpointing, but instead of checkpoints, it respawns back to the last "bonfire" you used. The fact that they thought a game like this should have this system over a standard checkpointing system is beyond me. It doesn't add anything to the game other than busy work to get back to where you were, and if you didn't use the closest checkpoint that busy work is just that much longer.

My final complaint is I don't think the main voice actor is very good. All her line reads sound, well, like line reads. I don't hear a character speaking, I hear an actress reading lines off a script.

I love the art design and find everything to do with The Oldest House to be the game's strongest asset. While I've seen some Twin Peaks and some X-files I am by no means an expert or superfan of the shows, so a lot of the homage doesn't do much for me but gives the world design some good jumping-off points.

I really want to like this game, I was so ready for a lighter story (I just beat Last of Us for the first time) with tight combat and sick psychic abilities. I'm getting small doses of those, but there is so much mediocrity and frustration in between them. I looked up some tips and saw that upgrading the push ability is recommended so I'm going to do that next play session, but does anyone here have any other tips or advice on finding the good in this game?

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

This is probably shitty advice but it helped me, lower your expectations. I also went in expecting more than what I got and was quite let down until I just started accepting that the game isnt that involved combat wise, it reminded me of the first Force Unleashed where you get all these abilities but all you really need is the force push so try to make your own fun.

As for the story I actually liked most of the characters and the performances, it's all B movie quality though, in my opinion. It's goofy and you probably shouldnt get hung up on the language in the collectibles, I get that it's immersion breaking but theres plenty of stuff like that in this game.

Anyway, i'm not sure thats the advice you're after but I warmed up to the game over time, it didnt blow me away but I feel like it's a step in the right direction for Remedy after Quantum Break.

Arcitee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I really like exploring the spaces and findind the notes and objects. I love the incidental writing and story telling. That being said I wish there was some kind of single player (and multiplayer) horde mode where you can really use the powers and weapons and see how long you last.

I also wish the PC version wasnt crashing on me.

Overall I dont regret the $90 (canadian) purchase (assuming the crashing gets fixed)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak: I wouldn't call that shitty advice as it is probably the correct advice for my situation. I think I definitely let Jeff's enthusiasm for the story infect me despite the fact that I know Jeff cares more about narrative concepts than execution.

I do like the janitor's performance so far, and while I find a lot of the side characters to be cheesy ass performances they still feel like characters vs a person performing.

I went and listened to the Quarter to Three games podcast where they talk about Control, and I hope some of their enthusiasm rubs off on me. They reminded me of another thing that impressed me early on: the fact that you actually affect the physical world around you with your abilities and weapons. It's super satisfying to push an object and see the physical damage it creates and when I first entered the world with that ability I was enamoured with watching the physics go to work because there's more than just damage textures here and that does add a lot to the "feel" of the game. I also do like how the abilities are dolled out in universe.

I'm going to lower my expectations writing and performance wise and enjoy the batshit world and visuals, and hope that further abilities and mods make the combat more interesting and my character more resilient.

Also, I redeemed the code I got for two themes, some mods, and an outfit. Everything downloaded but I no longer have the change clothing option at the checkpoints so I can't wear my special Playstation exclusive outfit - despite having access to both themes and the mods. SO hopefully that works itself out otherwise I will have to write an angry letter to Remedy.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@sloppydetective: Have you tried changing outfits at the central executive place of power? I think thats the only checkpoint you can do it, which is dumb I know. I didnt get any DLC myself so I have no idea how it's implemented.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@sloppydetective: I’m afraid you won’t be able to force the fun out based on enthusiasm others have for it. If you’re not finding any enjoyment in the combat and setting then that’s it - you’re kind of done, because there isn’t much else to the game. It’s probably one of my favorite releases of the year and it’s because I enjoyed playing it first and foremost. I’ve also listened to some podcasts that hype it up and it can be a disservice in that it’s a fun game but it’s not mind blowing in the way some describe it. I was never a fan of collectible reading and while Control keeps these short it’s still not as good as some make it out to be.

At this point you either keep forcing yourself to find the fun or you cut your losses and move on. In a similar situation I’m currently playing DMC5, the big return to form for the series, the best character action game ever and best DMC5 has ever been ...and try as I might I’m just not enjoying it. About 70% through the game and I keep looking up videos and hearing the hype but the game is just not speaking to me - after every mission I just think “ok I’ve had enough.”

Sometimes certain games just don’t click with you. At least in my situation I got to try it through Game Pass so it’s not a big loss if I want to just stop playing.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say never let Jeff G. hype you up on game narratives when literally the only medium which he'd say "story and characters matter" is pro wrestling. When it comes to modern games (or movies for that matter) if he can't enjoy a story ironically then he seemingly can't enjoy it which leads me to tune him out during such discussions. I didn't mean for this to come off as an attack on Jeff's character as I love the guy, but by going out of his way to never broaden his palette over the years he has lost a lot of credibility in my eyes on anything but the most mechanically accessible games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak:Oh that makes sense (dumb sense) because that is the first and only place I saw that option. I googled it and the results just said any checkpoint area. I'll try that though!

@humanity: I do like the world, I just don't like that specific aspect of the flavor logs. As far as combat goes it's not the worst but I had expected more. I do think the push ability is just flat out satisfying in the way that Kratos retrieving his axe is, but the shooting is just so loosey goosey and the character is not resilient enough. I'm already creating the narrative in my head that this game will get better for me because I really don't want to have spent $60 for nothing. I also heard something about some maze that is amazing, so I'll at least stick around until that.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I love it Control. You don’t seem to like it at all. That’s ok!

I know money means different things to folks, but I’m of the mindset that $60 spent on something you don’t like isn’t worth remorse.

Move on and find something you do want to do with your time (more than force yourself to play a game you don’t like or feel remorseful).

If you bought a disc copy, sell it and recoup a few buck. Otherwise, just learn from it and go back to something you enjoy doing.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sloppydetective: I loved the maze, but if you’re forcing yourself to slog through it, you’re probably better of just watching a video. It’s maybe the second to last proper encounter in the game, if I recall correctly? It’s very much late game stuff, last hour or so.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@sloppydetective: the maze is pretty cool but I would adjust your expectations accordingly.

gblurker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

When critics are mostly talking about the story and how it looks kind of cool, chances are it's mediocre. Outside of the critics I heard almost no buzz about it.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gblurker: If Control is doing it for you, the maze is a very cool experience.

I fully expect to hear about it as a best moment of sequence nominee at the Giant Bomb GOTY Deliberations.

If you’re not feeling the game, it’s not going to change your mind.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter:I know it comes across as me hating the game but I really don't. My initial impression is disappointed. The level and art design are amazing, and the way they play with supernatural ideas is interesting to me. It's just more of a B-gam than I expected and I'm hoping resetting my expectations will lead to me enjoying it more.

@humanity: I for sure have and will continue to adjust my expectations from where they will.

@boozak:that's totally the only spot you can change outfits at. The free dlc outfit is super Aeon Flux-y dumb sci-fi, so the game is already getting better.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sloppydetective: It wouldn’t bother me if you did hate it because we all have our own taste.

People think I’m crazy when I tell them John Wick bores me. I think there’s simply FAR superior action out there. But that’s my taste.

I’m just saying that if it’s not a good use of time, don’t engage any further. Find something else to do that makes you happier. That’s what I’d do, at least.

Control is my favorite game (so far) this year, but I love Remedy’s games pretty universally. I dig their whole approach to games, Alan Wake being my personal favorite, with Control not far behind.

I don’t find Control to be a B game, but hey, opinions! It’s totally cool that you’re there. It’d be boring to agree about everything.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

<It's too bad you are not enjoying your game/purchase/certified hit.>

<The experience is an acquired taste/eating your vegetables.>

<You can always play/purchase/consume something else.>

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If not for all of your complaints, I have had mixed feelings for Control, also. I love the world, and accept the main protagonist. The npc's and the story are a cut or two above. For my experience though, the combat has been up and down, and downright tedious at times. Especially with the check-pointing/Bonfire thing the op. brings up. I know not to complain, but this one boss took me a few sittings on multiple days. I'm not going to say what one of the contributing factors was to that besides inability on my part but...not entirely like Dark Souls running to a boss....

But if it is any inspiration, this game does develop hooks. And to get through the combat, one does become almost over-powered.

I don't consider Control to be a B game in any form, either. But what I have been doing lately (close to the end now) is giving it a letter grade B.

silversaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By silversaint

I was pretty thankful Control released when a ton of games were releasing. I watched quite a bit of it at various points, always left unimpressed, but I have constantly heard that Control was amazing and is one of the best games this year.

BonelessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda wish demos was a sort of standard thing again. I rarely buy AAA games anymore if I'm not certain I'm gonna love the game because I'm not willing to pay up 60 bucks for something I might put on the shelf after 3 hours and never touch again.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People who like Remedy seem to really love their stuff, most if not all their games are flawed gems.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Upgrading push's damage is huge. After upgrading it and my health I'm dying much less in combat and feel more like a psy-warrior. I also had gotten the dash ability right at the end of the play session I had before writing this. Now that I've fully integrated that move into my combat I'm enjoying fighting much more. I still have problems with the game but I do feel the farther in you get the more the combat has to offer.

@therealturk: that pyramid is truly the best character in the game so far.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I agree that Jeff and Ben were probably a bit too overzealous on their unabated excitement for the game. I love the game, but I don't really agree with the way they might have overhyped it to listeners.

I'd call it a slow burn. I didn't really get fully into it until about 5 hours in. I'd say the narrative and intrigue is at its strongest in the first half, and the combat at its strongest in the last half. I think both of those aspects are able to carry it to the end. It's well paced too, it ends before you would burn out on the combat.

I think Courtney Hope plays Jesse well enough, she becomes less deadpan in the later parts of the story. I didn't find her monologues particularly interesting until the last quarter of the game, but she has a few interesting anecdotes along the way. I think I'm just a huge sucker for James McCaffrey's voice, but my favourite bits were Trench's monologues from the Hotline.

You're right about the shooting. It's not good, it's loose and I never thought any of the guns felt good. It's kinda disappointing that the most effectual, safest, best option for every situation is simply the Grip. It never feels good in a shooter when the best gun is the basic ass pistol, at least not when it feels floaty and bland.

It's definitely a game that is powers focused, which is why the gameplay before you get telekinesis is kinda shitty. I recommend everyone playing this game to focus on upgrading/augmenting everything about telekinesis. Give yourself as much energy as possible, and spend all points on it. It's the power that literally carries this game on its shoulders, its the funnest, most entertaining and most powerful tool you have. Without it, I personally think this game would just fall apart.

You seem like you already are, but I'd stick with it if I were you. Once you've got Launch, Dash and Melee leveled up, things start to click. The last power you get (which I think is 8 hours in, so not far from where you are) is that final piece of the puzzle that really lets the game shine. Also, the side quests that aren't the collectathon ones are worth doing, some really cool shit in there.

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is as good a place as any to post this but I'm almost to the end of the game and it's taking everything I have to make it to the finish line. This game is so frustrating because I sincerely love the story, the setting, the characters, the world building...it's all fantastic. But I HATE the combat encounters. It's not the gun(s) or the powers that frustrate me, it's that I feel like a lot of the combat encounters are just so bad. The following describes my experience with just about every fight in the game after the first two hours or so : instantly getting killed by one hit, getting caught on level geometry trying to dodge out of the way of...I'm not sure what's hitting me or where it's coming from...while hitting a frame rate drop, accidentally falling through a hole in the middle of a fight, red pulsating blood covering the entire screen and making it impossible to see anything including an escape or energy pellets or where the explody mutant things are coming from. And now I'm dead within 30 seconds and have to wait for it to load....again...so that I can leave the control point, run up some stairs, over an elevator and dodge some dudes that shouldn't have spawned in that empty room to finally make it to the room and do the whole thing over again and hope that by some stroke of luck things just go differently this time.. And the thing is, I'm really not bad at this game. But I'm soooo tired of doing everything I just described that I'm losing the will to do the final chapter of the game. And I know a lot of these things probably don't bother most people because it's hard to find anybody talking about anything negative about this game other than the performance (which really only bothers me as it relates to the above). But yeah...as anyone can see, I'm frustrated. But I'm only frustrated because I really love everything else about the game.

aWidebrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just tableflipped this game off my hard drive after yet another instance of getting rushed by enemies with no way of fighting back effectively.

It's very much a Remedy game, reminiscent of Max Payne, and I think Destiny has completely ruined that style of 3D action for me.

The movement is sluggish, which is not in and of itself a bad thing, but doesn't mesh with the speed of the combat. The guns aren't great, and the powers feel weightless and don't seem to combine in any meaningful ways.

Control is beautiful, the story is interesting and I'd really like to see it through, but since there's apparently no way to lower the difficulty I doubt I'll make the effort.

chaz934

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I’m only an hour in, but I love everything about it so far. I also only paid $10, so I think be happy either way.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

This is as good a place as any to post this but I'm almost to the end of the game and it's taking everything I have to make it to the finish line. This game is so frustrating because I sincerely love the story, the setting, the characters, the world building...it's all fantastic. But I HATE the combat encounters. It's not the gun(s) or the powers that frustrate me, it's that I feel like a lot of the combat encounters are just so bad. The following describes my experience with just about every fight in the game after the first two hours or so : instantly getting killed by one hit, getting caught on level geometry trying to dodge out of the way of...I'm not sure what's hitting me or where it's coming from...while hitting a frame rate drop, accidentally falling through a hole in the middle of a fight, red pulsating blood covering the entire screen and making it impossible to see anything including an escape or energy pellets or where the explody mutant things are coming from. And now I'm dead within 30 seconds and have to wait for it to load....again...so that I can leave the control point, run up some stairs, over an elevator and dodge some dudes that shouldn't have spawned in that empty room to finally make it to the room and do the whole thing over again and hope that by some stroke of luck things just go differently this time.. And the thing is, I'm really not bad at this game. But I'm soooo tired of doing everything I just described that I'm losing the will to do the final chapter of the game. And I know a lot of these things probably don't bother most people because it's hard to find anybody talking about anything negative about this game other than the performance (which really only bothers me as it relates to the above). But yeah...as anyone can see, I'm frustrated. But I'm only frustrated because I really love everything else about the game.

I know I'm reviving a months-quiet thread, but I want you to know that you're not alone. I'm playing through the game for the first game right now and this is my exact experience.

ON TOP of this feeling, I've had a cavalcade of technical bugs, including more than one mission-breaking bug that has forced me to go to "Mission Select" and start the entire mission from the beginning.

I have despised every design decision made in the game's last hour. The last handful of combat encounter have been beyond tedious. Somewhere along the line the enemies became SO much more resilient to gunfire and powers, even my maximum-level Launch.

I'll force myself to finish it and then I don't think I'll ever pick it up again. Huge, huge promise, some really exciting early execution, and then a miserable, just miserable finish.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.