Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Costume Quest

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 20, 2010

A downloadable turn-based RPG by Double Fine. Play as a child on Halloween night in search of your twin sibling.

Excited about Costume Quest and the status of New IP

Phyreball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Edited By Phyreball

I just wanted to take a quick second and say how excited I am about Double Fine’s upcoming game Costume Quest http://www.costumequestgame.com/and what it represents to me. First though I just wanna say Costume Quest looks great and it gives a fresh look at some good ol RPG gaming.  Love it! Can’t wait to buy it.  But the thing I’m interested in is this… is downloadable games in general the way for new IP? 

With how AAA game production is nowaday, new IPs to be become published are becoming a rare.  I’m just thinking that the studios like Double Fine and Twisted Pixel know this and have created opportunities in Xbox live, PSN, and Steam platforms as the new way to blaze new IP.  I tend to agree with them and its awesome. Downloadable games make a strong case to create new games without the huge overhead.  Its also a great way to put your name and game out there.

Downloadable games are awesome and I’m buying more and more all the time.  I’m all for it and I like it because with everything going on in the world today new IP has got to have a voice.  I feel that AAA games on the shelves are only for the big dogs… and most publishers don’t wanna take that risk of a new IP.  Which is sad but true and I know there are reasons behind that.  So huzzah all you downloadable game developers your leading the charge for future gaming and creating new and exciting Intellectual properties.  Not just rehashing games over and over again.

Phyreball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1  Edited By Phyreball

I just wanted to take a quick second and say how excited I am about Double Fine’s upcoming game Costume Quest http://www.costumequestgame.com/and what it represents to me. First though I just wanna say Costume Quest looks great and it gives a fresh look at some good ol RPG gaming.  Love it! Can’t wait to buy it.  But the thing I’m interested in is this… is downloadable games in general the way for new IP? 

With how AAA game production is nowaday, new IPs to be become published are becoming a rare.  I’m just thinking that the studios like Double Fine and Twisted Pixel know this and have created opportunities in Xbox live, PSN, and Steam platforms as the new way to blaze new IP.  I tend to agree with them and its awesome. Downloadable games make a strong case to create new games without the huge overhead.  Its also a great way to put your name and game out there.

Downloadable games are awesome and I’m buying more and more all the time.  I’m all for it and I like it because with everything going on in the world today new IP has got to have a voice.  I feel that AAA games on the shelves are only for the big dogs… and most publishers don’t wanna take that risk of a new IP.  Which is sad but true and I know there are reasons behind that.  So huzzah all you downloadable game developers your leading the charge for future gaming and creating new and exciting Intellectual properties.  Not just rehashing games over and over again.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By YoungFrey

I love downloadable games, because they are much easier to fit into the time constraints of my adult life.  They are priced affordably (even at $15, a 5 hour game is a good price) and often take creative risks you don't see on many retail titles.  My only complaint is that the achievments granted aren't scaling with price.  In the early days of XBLA, 200 for $5 was a solid exchange, but now it's often 3 times the price for as many points.  Not that I see a way to fix it.  I also like how so many XBLA games have avatar awards.
    Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
    maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By maskedarcstrike
    @YoungFrey: I'm a sucker for XBLA games with avatar awards as well, heck one of the reasons I bought Doom 2 was for the marine suit.  It bugs me though  when AAA XBLA games come out with avatar stuff on the marketplace and the game itself has none,  I'm looking at you Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.
    1DER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By 1DER

I'm looking forward to picking this up after I get some other games out of the way.

Hopefully it will still sell well being released in between all these other big name franchise games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.