Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Aug 21, 2012

The fourth iteration of Valve's team-based modern-military first-person shooter, rebuilt and constantly expanded for competitive play with new maps, new weapons, and new gameplay mechanics. It was later made free-to-play and most versions were later replaced with the sequel.

I hate Defence Grid, why are they developing CS:GO?

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Mcfart

Why did Valve hire an indie developer of a tower defense game to work on CS:GO? Seems like this will go the path of Condition Zero....

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By shotaro

probably, the similarities between the two games are quite noticable especially the fact that it is being developed by a third party studio.

That being said it's probably best to wait until the game comes out before having an over the top knee jerk reaction (which is all this particular piece of news seems to have invoked- nothing against you but there are several topics similar to this already and the news is pretty fresh)

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#3  Edited By KillyDarko

Just because you hate Defense Grid, doesn't mean it's a bad game (I love it, by the way).
    Also, Valve has a big history of working with indie developers (the original CS was as indie as it gets and the original Portal was also developed by an indie team, just to name a couple of examples), so why make such a big fuss over this one in specific? I'm pretty sure that if Valve hired the guys behind Defense Grid, they must have a pretty damn good reason for it-- Valve isn't exactly known for hiring bad developers, now are they?

TonicBH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By TonicBH

Actually, if you've been playing Counter-Strike: Source lately, Hidden Path have been updating the game rather than Valve. So they have some experience. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Almost all of Valve's games are from indie developers who they scooped up and helped bring to a bigger audience with their MUNEYS AND POWERZ. I think this game will turn out fine.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By benjaebe
    @TonicBH said:
    Actually, if you've been playing Counter-Strike: Source lately, Hidden Path have been updating the game rather than Valve. So they have some experience. 
    This. Hidden Path has been updating CS:S for quite some time.
    Mu5hy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mu5hy

Hidden Path's work on updating CS:S started with CS:S's release on MAC, and incorporating Achievements - and they kind of broke the game for about a month while doing it. They did start doing some good work updating maps (de_Inferno had the buggy Yellow Generator removed), but that work mysteriously stopped a couple of months ago and they stopped responding on the steam forums.

They are consulting with ESEA during development - so that's a pretty good sign that they're reaching out to the competitive community.

I'm a bit curious to see how mod support is handled - hopefully Valve realizes that the reason Counter-Strike games still have over a 100,000 active players per day (more than TF2, despite it being free.) is because of things like Gun-Game, Zombie Mods, Deathrun, Jump maps, Hide and Seek and a hundred other mods that servers are running.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Sitoxity

@Mu5hy: They'd have a lot more if the servers weren't filled with those mods. I like Gun Game and some of the others now and then, but mostly I stopped playing because it's impossible to find proper vanilla servers that actually rotate maps and don't play on 24/7. TF2 used to be like that as well, but that's gotten a lot better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.