Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Counter-Strike

Franchise »

Counter-Strike is a popular team-based first-person shooter that pits terrorists against counter-terrorists.

Have you ever played Counter-Strike?

• 80 results
    paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By paulmako

Despite Counter-Strike: Global Offensive consistently being the second most played game on Steam, I never see much mention of it here. Right now over half a million people are playing it. The series has been around since 1999 and has a healthy eSports scene. So basic question: Have you ever played Counter-Strike?

I think I first saw my friend's older brother playing it sometime in the early 2000's before I really knew online gaming existed. It looked pretty cool. I tried playing Counter-Strike: Source but didn't really get into it because it seemed like you would just spawn and get killed. I eventually ended up learning the maps through Gary's Mod. At some point in time that I don't remember, I acquired Counter-Strike Global Offensive and didn't really get into that at first either. Whatever happened, I tried it again a few weeks ago and suddenly now really enjoy it. I've been able to play it pretty consistently since then. I feel like I 'get' it now.

Is this experience at all similar to anyone else? Have you played it obsessively for 15 years? Have you never touched it? The game has been on my periphery for over a decade and I'm only now getting in to it.

hnke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get the feeling that I'm a rare breed because while I have never actually played Counter-Strike, I've been following the CS e-sports scene for years and usually watch every major tournament. I don't know what got me into it in the first place, but in general I think that it's the sort of game that is really easy to follow what's going on, and once you grasp the lingo and the basic economics of a match, it can be a really exciting thing to watch. I think that's the sign of a great e-sport, since even people who don't "get" e-sports can get stoked about a team winning an eco-round or a 1v3. I guess you could compare it to watching the NHL despite never having played ice hockey.

Seems like a great game all in all. Maybe I'll try it sometime.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ezekiel

No. I've played the HL games, the Portal games, some TF2 and a lot of L4D/2, but never CS. Whenever I tell people I'm a PC gamer, they assume that's what i like to play. But I'm not interested.

ExK4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got way into CS:GO for a while but eventually kind of fell off. I would play with the same 5 guys every Friday night. Got to a point where I felt like I was pretty damn good. Usually I get burned out from competitive games sooner or later.

fenster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Yeah I've played 600-700 hours of it. You probably bounced off if it when you played it if you tried it relatively soon after its release....it was a bit of a dud until Valve made a lot of very good improvements to the game. I don't play anymore really, I started getting into Dota 2, then Overwatch, and have recently broken my chains of any sort of competitive game and have gone back to single player experiences for now (...and some Titanfall 2).

I think it doesn't get a lot of talk around Giantbomb because 1) none of the staff really play it (besides Jeff very rarely and casually), and 2) Due the nature of its content, most of the fans of this site are probably not huge competitive gamers, in that they aren't following one particular game very closely. If that was the case, there are other better places to follow any one particular scene. I know there are exceptions but I think overall its true.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

Yes, once, and I wasn't into it.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By cloudymusic

I was super into original CS back in its early days as a Half-Life mod. I fell off about the same time as it went retail. I have a ton of great memories of playing that game on dialup and at LAN parties with my local clan (lol).

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Played an amount of CSGO this year, went from Silver 1 to DMG (although I still feel like a silver a lot) over the summer months, but I just don't have the time to consistently play and improve like I wish I could, cause yeah CSGO is a really fucking good game.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@hnke: I played pretty much all of the versions through out the years, but never really liked playing it. I do like watching the competitive matches since the CPL early '00 days for the same reasons. So no, you're not alone.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I played a decent amount of it. It's still one of my preferred shooters, for someone that doesn't really enjoy most FPS games. Too bad GO is so janky.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I put 100 hours during my teens into 1.6, became somewhat decent at it, the low-res graphics didn't flare up my motion sickness. Good times.

PS.

Loading Video...

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started on beta 5 with a dial up connection.

My friends with broadband would burn the patches to a CD for me so I wouldn't be stuck waiting hours for the download.

Eroq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Eroq

I played 1.6 and source casually with friends back in the day, but Global Offensive was the one to really catch my attention. Since release, I have put about 1150 hours into CS:GO. I have been playing it on and off for the past 4 years, usually getting burnt out on it and than coming back when there is an interesting update. That being said, It is still the multiplayer shooter that I compare all others to.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I've played it a little bit here and there over the years. It's never clicked with me, though. I never felt like I got a handle on how to play it properly.

RickRockmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know, I've played a bunch of Gun Game and I definitely hung out on a surf server for a while, but I don't know if I've ever actually played a match of regular-ass Counterstrike.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Used to play it every day after high school. Probably my most played game ever...haven't touched it in years though. Every once in a while I think about going back but Global Offensive just feels like a different game to me for some reason.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started on beta 5 with a dial up connection.

My friends with broadband would burn the patches to a CD for me so I wouldn't be stuck waiting hours for the download.

This post reminded me of this ancient thing.

Loading Video...

LastBestHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By LastBestHope

Bought it at launch and didn't get really into it then. It takes a while for CSGO's playstyle to click with people. Especially me, whose main shooter was CoD4. Aiming is a completely different kind of skill in CSGO. Occasionally I get back into it again for a quick binge. This last week I've been playing it more than ever. I absolutely love the game itself, but the community is really annoying sometimes. If you are doing bad you get flamed, but doing good you will get called a "smurf" or a hacker. Sometimes, like my last few games, the other team has a smurf. Which is someone who is on an alternate account so they can either: play with lower rank people that they wouldn't normally get matched up with so they can destroy them. OR, fuck around and ruin it for their team (they don't have to be a smurf to do this though.) I really like this game, but you have to be playing with the right people. I just played a bunch of matches with a group of new people I met last night. I'm pretty good at the actual shooting aspect of the game but don't fully understand the deeper stuff. Usually when you queue for matches you get Dust II or Mirage, so I know those maps really well. When playing with these people they queue for every other map, causing me to get totally lost, as I don't have my bearings anymore. Also, one of the people I'm playing with called me out for my "crosshair placement" after spectated me for a few seconds. I said "I have no idea what that means" and he said: "How do you have 22 kills when you're aiming for their dicks?" First of all, why didn't he just say "aim"? Second, how can you judge my "crosshair placement" based on the few seconds you watched me play? Like in many shooters people will judge you for the little mistakes you're making, and not your overall performance. I love this game, but the community can really stress me out sometimes.

edit:

to be more on topic: I have played CS Source,but not enough for it to click with me. I don't think I've ever played 1.6... But have played the CS that was original Xbox, whatever version that is.

LastBestHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hmoney001:

My friends with broadband would burn the patches to a CD for me so I wouldn't be stuck waiting hours for the download

They sound like good friends!

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

I played the mod a fair bit on a 14.4 modem. That probably isn't what you are asking.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the mod a fair bit on a 14.4 modem. That probably isn't what you are asking.

That's exactly what I'm asking! Really any encounter with the game is interesting to me, no matter how minor or long ago. The early days of the game are actually really interesting to hear about considering where it is now.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played it in my teen days, mostly with the same friends on just one map only: Office. Real life kicked in, and CS became a distant memory (except for the layout to Office).

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the 3 month break I got between high school and college, I played a ton of Counter-Strike: Source. I got to a point where I actually understood the game alright. My college's internet was ass and I fell out of it (only to get into Starcraft: Brood War right then). It's a great shooter, for me personally I probably prefer it even above Quake and UT.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pretty much the only game I've played over the past 3 years. I've played through like maybe 3 or 4 other games in that time. I have about 2,500 hours in it and have probably spent another 1,500+ watching pro matches/streams.

I don't play as much anymore (usually only a few matches a week), but it's ruined all other FPS games for me.

@tobbrobb said:

I played a decent amount of it. It's still one of my preferred shooters, for someone that doesn't really enjoy most FPS games. Too bad GO is so janky.

In what way is it janky?

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I will occasionally tune into a stream if it has a ton of viewers to see what all the fuss is about, but I've never really enjoyed playing it myself.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I have never played any version of Counter-Strike. Like you, I knew of Counter-Strike pretty early on through my brother who played an early version (I think even before Source) with his online friends. I never had an interest in playing the game myself.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I played more 1.6 and CSS than CSGO (and never really cared for CS all that much in general), but yeah I've played them.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

I could understand its appeal in the early 2000s, when shooters were generally more primitive, but now I have no clue why anybody plays it or GO. To an outsider, the shooting doesn't seem very good but this is coming from a position of pure ignorance (and, I didn't like 1.6 at all).

That said, I do wonder (like the OP) why it gets almost no talk or coverage on this site. It's a mega popular game, big competitive events are held around it.

World of Tanks is the same way, game has millions of daily players but it just didn't get any traction on Giantbomb and nobody talks about it here.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got hundreds of hours in each iteration of it, with probably over a thousand in Source. In Source I used to own my own servers with another mate and we would would run vanilla maps and Surf maps sometimes with Warcraft and Hide and Seek mods. I also used to develop maps for it when I was a teenager and I used my own servers to get feedback from people, turns out the best way to appease teenagers in the mid-late 00's is to put in secret rooms that have strobe lights with a selection of Hardstyle songs to choose from.

I didn't put anywhere near as much time into CS:GO because its initial release was actually quite terrible but it also released around a time when I had completely burned myself out on shooters.

I could understand its appeal in the early 2000s, when shooters were generally more primitive, but now I have no clue why anybody plays it or GO. To an outsider, the shooting doesn't seem very good but this is coming from a position of pure ignorance (and, I didn't like 1.6 at all).

That said, I do wonder (like the OP) why it gets almost no talk or coverage on this site. It's a mega popular game, big competitive events are held around it.

World of Tanks is the same way, game has millions of daily players but it just didn't get any traction on Giantbomb and nobody talks about it here.

People play CS:GO now because of balance and competitive skill ceiling. More modern shooters are no where near as considered when it comes to things like map design, weapon hierarchy and how that plays into the economy system. The shooting will seem bad to someone who expects it to play like a modern shooter where most guns are basically lasers and you don't have to consider your movement, stance or muzzle climb or even really aim for heads much anymore.

I'd argue they don't get much talk or coverage because they're highly competitive. One of the most common comments I see here is general distaste for competitive online games and having to interact with other people. That extends from both people in the forums and people in the GB crew.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I own all of them (Steam sale bundle), but I pretty much only play it either against bots or for Gun Game servers. Nothing against regular-ass CS, I'm just way too self-conscious for MP games where there's a scenario in which your entire team is scrutinizing your every move because somehow, some way, you bumbled into being the last man standing and you have no fucking idea what you're doing compared to these people that have played for years and are yelling "DEFUSE THE BOMB YOU FUCKTURNIP" but you don't know the route to the bomb site from where you're at because you've never seen this map before and if they'd just give you a goddamn second to find your bearings and oops it exploded and now you're banned from the server and even though it shouldn't bother you that some kid in Chucklenuts, OH got pissy over a game it really kinda does anyway and you obsess over it as you lay in bed that night thinking about what the point to any of it really is anyway because goddammit you've been playing video games for longer than that kid has even been alive and yet he thinks he's king shit and you're some noob that's never even touched a keyboard well guess what bucko you'll show him and so you train and train and eventually get good enough to join an eSports team and you call your manager one night and demand that xXxsephiroth420vapelordxXx be brought before you in a 1v1 knife fight but the next morning your manager calls you back and breaks the news that xXxsephiroth420vapelordxXx died 30 years ago and you are suddenly covered in a cold sweat as you realize that you played CS against a ghost.

So yeah, no, just bots mostly.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ivdamke said:

I'd argue they don't get much talk or coverage because they're highly competitive. One of the most common comments I see here is general distaste for competitive online games and having to interact with other people. That extends from both people in the forums and people in the GB crew.

Also, the time investment to be good at the game is way higher than most other FPS games. It probably took me 1,000 hours before I was decent at the game.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#32  Edited By Giantstalker

@ivdamke: That makes sense I suppose. I prefer more realistic guns, and shooters where aiming center of mass is more important, which would explain why CS is such a turn off

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still waiting for Overwatch to have its own variant of de_dust

Whenever the GB guys talk about CS, they always bring up de_dust. I know it's one of the original and most iconic maps, but it hasn't been played competitively in forever. Barely gets played in pugs too because it's kind of an unbalanced mess. de_dust2 is still the most popular map though, despite my personal reservations about it.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought it at launch and didn't get really into it then. It takes a while for CSGO's playstyle to click with people. Especially me, whose main shooter was CoD4. Aiming is a completely different kind of skill in CSGO. Occasionally I get back into it again for a quick binge. This last week I've been playing it more than ever. I absolutely love the game itself, but the community is really annoying sometimes. If you are doing bad you get flamed, but doing good you will get called a "smurf" or a hacker. Sometimes, like my last few games, the other team has a smurf. Which is someone who is on an alternate account so they can either: play with lower rank people that they wouldn't normally get matched up with so they can destroy them. OR, fuck around and ruin it for their team (they don't have to be a smurf to do this though.) I really like this game, but you have to be playing with the right people. I just played a bunch of matches with a group of new people I met last night. I'm pretty good at the actual shooting aspect of the game but don't fully understand the deeper stuff. Usually when you queue for matches you get Dust II or Mirage, so I know those maps really well. When playing with these people they queue for every other map, causing me to get totally lost, as I don't have my bearings anymore. Also, one of the people I'm playing with called me out for my "crosshair placement" after spectated me for a few seconds. I said "I have no idea what that means" and he said: "How do you have 22 kills when you're aiming for their dicks?" First of all, why didn't he just say "aim"? Second, how can you judge my "crosshair placement" based on the few seconds you watched me play? Like in many shooters people will judge you for the little mistakes you're making, and not your overall performance. I love this game, but the community can really stress me out sometimes.

edit:

to be more on topic: I have played CS Source,but not enough for it to click with me. I don't think I've ever played 1.6... But have played the CS that was original Xbox, whatever version that is.

For the crosshair placement bit, whilst that guy sounded like a dickhead, you absolutely can 'judge' it from a few seconds. What he should have said was "hey bro if you aim where you think they'll be you could do better", and generally you wanna be aiming for where you think the enemy's head will be when they appear in your view. It's the kind of think that becomes natural the more you play - same with spray patterns - so just stick with it.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:
    @lastbesthope said:

edit:

For the crosshair placement bit, whilst that guy sounded like a dickhead, you absolutely can 'judge' it from a few seconds. What he should have said was "hey bro if you aim where you think they'll be you could do better", and generally you wanna be aiming for where you think the enemy's head will be when they appear in your view. It's the kind of think that becomes natural the more you play - same with spray patterns - so just stick with it.

I totally agree. The easiest way to tell that someone is relatively new to the game is their crosshair placement. For whatever, most people tend to run around staring at the ground. I know I did it, and I see it with every new player I watch.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played a lot of 1.6 when I was in high school. Just public servers. Mostly de_dust2, de_nuke, de_inferno, some cs_office etc

I never got good at it. I did get pretty decent at surfing though. surf_egypt, surf_ski2 are the two I remember clearly.

Also remember there being some crazy maps where you would drive vehicles around. Good times.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
    deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played a butt ton the Counter Strike: condition Zero back in the day, and then for years and years after. I dabbled with the old Xbox version a bit too. I was never good, but I did enjoy the hell out of it. Set up custom servers for all my friends and we had marathon sessions almost every weekend. Never got CSGO, and I hate that I missed the opportunity to get a free copy when something bad went down on Steam and literally everyone else got a free copy lol. It's always been on my steam wishlist, but it's never seems to be on sale when I have excess steam moneys lol. ...and the whole weapon skins thing confuses the hell out of me.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I've been playing it on and off since 1999. So it really feels like more than a game than a series to me, even without talking about original vs Source vs GO. There's no way that the final 1.6 is the same game as the gun-running games played on cs_desert and swimming in the sky.

I've never been good at CS, although there was a few months where my actual job was to be a server admin that basically meant playing on the servers to make sure everyone was having a good time and deal with any issues arising between players. That was possibly one on the stranger jobs I've ever had, especially as it was shift work so often I was getting back from the pub and playing midnight to 8am and then writing up some reports and going to sleep.

But CS has always been the LAN classic that we've gone back to time and again when we used to get together for years. Nowadays basically everyone I played LAN games with 15 years ago is in different parts of the world and doesn't really do LANs much (if at all) now we all can play online. A couple of years ago someone was having a birthday bash and decided to do one last LAN for everyone who used to lug CRTs to houses to play back in the day. CS was one of the games we spent quite some time with and had a great time again. Even if this was GO and at least half of us had never actually gotten round to playing that version and finding out the map differences.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I avoided it for the most part until CS:GO. I dabble a little in it now. I'm mainly attracted to the cool gun "paints" and stuff. Sort of annoyed, the main reason I always avoided previous versions, because people just play the same two maps over and over again. Dust 2 & Nuke. It also sucks, as someone who is not amazing at the game, to pretty much be sitting in spectator mode for 80% of my time. Something I know can be improved.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DharmaBum

@shagge: Damn it's like you read my mind. I had this exact scenario happen in Siege last night.

Edit: quality post btw

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Been playing CS forever now, and still play CS:GO consistently. It is a game that rewards you the more you play it. No other shooters right now even come close to the skill ceiling CS has, unless maybe Quake makes a comeback. Guess I am drawn to these sorts of games considering how much I used to play DotA 2 and Starcraft 2. Obviously it is kind of rough if you are a beginner, but I just power through that shit and before you know it things start to click and there is no other feeling like it. So much fucking fun.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DharmaBum

@sirpsychosexy said:

Been playing CS forever now, and still play CS:GO consistently. It is a game that rewards you the more you play it. No other shooters right now even come close to the skill ceiling CS has, unless maybe Quake makes a comeback. Guess I am drawn to these sorts of games considering how much I used to play DotA 2 and Starcraft 2. Obviously it is kind of rough if you are a beginner, but I just power through that shit and before you know it things start to click and there is no other feeling like it. So much fucking fun.

Is this true when games like Rainbow Six Siege, Overwatch, Titanfall, Halo 5, and Gears 4 exist? I suppose I don't know what metric one uses to compare skill ceilings in a shooter (APM makes it easier in an RTS), but to say "nothing even comes close" seems rather dismissive to me.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played CS:GO a few times and had fun messing around, but I have never had the dedication to learn how to play properly. I appreciate CS a huge amount though, and while I don't personally like the recoil mechanics I think they are the most important part of that entire series.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope don't think I have actually.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

I played a lot of CS from around Beta 6 through 1.3. I gradually drifted away after that and moved on to other games. I fondly remember the early days of the game when it was more experimental and less serious, with clowny stuff like driveable vehicles, swimming, terrorists being able to move hostages, and high-concept maps like cs_747 and as_oilrig.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
    citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish I knew how much time I put into CS back in the day, lots of 1.5 and 1.6. I stopped before source came out and never went back to it though. I think cs_assault was my favorite map. I was very average at the game but I had a lot of fun.

I also loved Tribes, just sayin.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played from 1.5 until some time after Condition Zero came out, the tail end of WON and the birth of Steam. Wild times.

LastBestHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: I didn't say this in the post but I generally do aim for the head when playing. But what you say about aiming where the head will be makes sense, and I didn't think about it that way (I'll practice that, thanks). I usually just snap to the head when I see it. The person speaking to me was just being really passive aggressive about it by not saying what the issue was upfront, but just simply saying "What is that crosshair placement?" In rhetorical way. I wrote about this because it seems to be how online gaming communities usually are. Rather than proffering any advice immediately, the most common way people deal with it is to just complain.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It also sucks, as someone who is not amazing at the game, to pretty much be sitting in spectator mode for 80% of my time. Something I know can be improved.

There's a deathmatch mode for that. If you're referring to changing the core mode of bomb defusal in Counter Strike to not be 1 life per round then no, that can't be improved as it's an integral design aspect to the balance of the game. There are plenty of games out there for people who suck at shooters and want to respawn as soon as they die (like 5 of them came out in the past couple weeks) Counter Strike is not one of them unless you play Deathmatch mode.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.