Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crackdown 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jul 06, 2010

Crackdown 2 is the sequel to the popular open-world supercop game. Players return to Pacific City, where rampaging mutants and resistance groups vie for control of the streets. The sequel adds four-player co-op along with competitive multiplayer.

Crackdown 2 Details Start To Surface

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad

Microsoft did a good job of hyping me up for Crackdown 2 back at E3 without actually saying a damn thing about the game itself. Mostly they accomplished that with the following trailer.

Now Edge has swooped in and nabbed an interview with some of the guys at Ruffian, the team doing this sequel, in order to fill in some of the blanks. First off, I was surprised at exactly how many members of the Ruffian team came from Realtime Worlds, where they also worked on the first game.

How much of the original Crackdown team is working on the sequel?

BT Close to half of our team worked on the original game. We’ve got core members from every discipline who worked on it, the majority of the design team, and, depending on whom you speak to, some of the best coders and most talented artists. 

So the sequel is probably in good hands. It will also have a refreshed urban environment for you to get all supersoldier in, according to this quote.

What’s the make-up of Crackdown 2? Is it a different game in the same city?

BT From an environmental point of view, you probably would look at it as being an entirely new map. It’s still Pacific City but further on in the timeline. We’ve altered a great deal, and think people who enjoyed the first game are going to be really pleased when they enter this one. And we’ve made sure the gameplay’s altered significantly.

Swell! I'm also stoked that Ruffian is addressing one of my biggest complaints about the first game: its lack of direction. Being able to tackle all those bosses in any order you wanted was cool and all, but there needs to be some kind of narrative meat filled in around the edges of the action. And it sounds like there may be.

Not everyone connected with the freeform nature of the original. Will the sequel feature more visible characters and interactions?

BT One thing we’re not getting caught up in is dialogue-driven cutscenes. It’s not what we do and we’ve no business going towards that kind of thing. If we got dragged into the fight that’s going on between other games in this genre, I think that’d be a bad move. We’ll definitely have variation with the objectives and push forward with the freeform structure; we don’t just want ‘find-the-boss, kill-the-boss’. We made the first game and we know what was lacking. We’ve listened a lot to the community and the reviews. Obviously, we can’t take every comment on board, but we’re doing our best to address the biggest issues.

JC A few of us found it difficult to deal with the fact that a lot of the freeform elements of the original were weak in certain areas. But we’ve learned from that. Billy won’t say this himself but he has an incredibly strong vision of what Crackdown 2 is. Moving the original on with that we believe was an incredibly powerful and important piece of DLC – that kind of evolution is something we’re keen to pursue.

OK. Yes, I'm onboard. These guys seem to know what needs to happen with this sequel. Who else is chomping at the bit to get back in there and start tearing it up in Pacific City again?
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad

Microsoft did a good job of hyping me up for Crackdown 2 back at E3 without actually saying a damn thing about the game itself. Mostly they accomplished that with the following trailer.

Now Edge has swooped in and nabbed an interview with some of the guys at Ruffian, the team doing this sequel, in order to fill in some of the blanks. First off, I was surprised at exactly how many members of the Ruffian team came from Realtime Worlds, where they also worked on the first game.

How much of the original Crackdown team is working on the sequel?

BT Close to half of our team worked on the original game. We’ve got core members from every discipline who worked on it, the majority of the design team, and, depending on whom you speak to, some of the best coders and most talented artists. 

So the sequel is probably in good hands. It will also have a refreshed urban environment for you to get all supersoldier in, according to this quote.

What’s the make-up of Crackdown 2? Is it a different game in the same city?

BT From an environmental point of view, you probably would look at it as being an entirely new map. It’s still Pacific City but further on in the timeline. We’ve altered a great deal, and think people who enjoyed the first game are going to be really pleased when they enter this one. And we’ve made sure the gameplay’s altered significantly.

Swell! I'm also stoked that Ruffian is addressing one of my biggest complaints about the first game: its lack of direction. Being able to tackle all those bosses in any order you wanted was cool and all, but there needs to be some kind of narrative meat filled in around the edges of the action. And it sounds like there may be.

Not everyone connected with the freeform nature of the original. Will the sequel feature more visible characters and interactions?

BT One thing we’re not getting caught up in is dialogue-driven cutscenes. It’s not what we do and we’ve no business going towards that kind of thing. If we got dragged into the fight that’s going on between other games in this genre, I think that’d be a bad move. We’ll definitely have variation with the objectives and push forward with the freeform structure; we don’t just want ‘find-the-boss, kill-the-boss’. We made the first game and we know what was lacking. We’ve listened a lot to the community and the reviews. Obviously, we can’t take every comment on board, but we’re doing our best to address the biggest issues.

JC A few of us found it difficult to deal with the fact that a lot of the freeform elements of the original were weak in certain areas. But we’ve learned from that. Billy won’t say this himself but he has an incredibly strong vision of what Crackdown 2 is. Moving the original on with that we believe was an incredibly powerful and important piece of DLC – that kind of evolution is something we’re keen to pursue.

OK. Yes, I'm onboard. These guys seem to know what needs to happen with this sequel. Who else is chomping at the bit to get back in there and start tearing it up in Pacific City again?
    redeye1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By redeye1984

Sounds interesting...

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Hopefully this will be good....I want some splitscreen co-op!

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Icil

I just want the super strength and speed to be done well and made ridiculously powerful. Less janky, too.

theglobe88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By theglobe88

I really enjoyed the original, i even put enough time into it to find all the agility orbs, and if you did that too, you know how time consuming that is.

Also, what's going to happen with the story? (SPOILER ALERT) The first game ended with a reveal that you were actually a bad guy, so how's this game going to play off that?

Only time will tell.
    monquin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By monquin

should be sweet

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Baillie

Oh my, oh my. I am ever so excited, this is the on my most wanted list, right at the top. Thanks for the post, Brad.

Reverseface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Reverseface

Should be CLACK A LACKING GOOD POW POW

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Baillie

@theglobe88
    You didn't get revealed to be the bad guy, it was revealed the company you work for are using you to wipe out the thugs, Los Muertos, Volk and Shai Gen so the police/whatever guys could took over the city for themselves.

The used you, so you're against it too.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Sounds awesome. Let's hope they will have local Coop and stuff. And maybe they could give a bit of stealth (just a few side missions, which would be another nice addition) too. Hopefully they don't mess too much with everything. Beyond making fire arms more interesting xD

I'm curious to see how the game will LOOK too. The original.. well it lacked fidelity, but had a few strong points. Like the explosions looks pretty good.

HDCase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HDCase

This game did not need more of a story than there already was in my opinion. Here's to hoping they keep it minimal. Unlike a lot of other games, this truly was a sandbox where you could approach your targets in many different ways, instead of being scripted from A to B.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Yes!

Ghostin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Ghostin

If I get too excited now I know I'll have less enthusiasm when it's released.  Is looking good so far though.

phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By phlegms

I really didnt care for the first one, so my feelings for the 2nd remain pretty much the same.

mmmskyscraper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mmmskyscraper

Do want, please just cut down on the repetitive audio kthx.

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By killdave

Crackdown was a boat load of pure fun. Here's hoping Crackdown 2 will be too, and it sure sounds like it so far !!

MSG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By MSG

I for one can't wait.  Hopefully they ship it with a "key to the city mode."  Beefing up your guy, turning on god mode and infinite ammo and then tearing the city apart was incredibly fun.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#18  Edited By Brackynews

ALL YOUR ORBZ ARE BELONG TO US.

Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Reuben

I can't wait, I still play Crackdown to this day haha. I hope they have Keys to the City again on the 2nd one. That was such an awesome add on!

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Luke

Not impressed by the video, but this game will still most likely be a must get! 

MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By MjHealy

I went back to Crackdown recently and I just don't want to finish it. It really has its problems.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By bubahula

im so stoked! i cant wait to ride in the back of a truck and shoot out tires on cars

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Illmatic

I was excited for this ever since I heard Jeff's "Theme=New Game" argument. Once I drove my car through the HQ's garage and jumped that ramp onto the city's main road I was hooked. Loved that game to death, with all of its problems and shortcomings.

HDCase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HDCase

"MjHealyJune 29, 2009

I went back to Crackdown recently and I just don't want to finish it. It really has its problems."

That's funny, I just played it again and fell in love again for the very first time. Awesome, awesome, awesome game.
    Oger300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Oger300
    @TheMustacheHero:

Split screan co-op, in my opinion would be a mistake. Crackdown is a game where you are in control of a super agent. Having two would cause the game to be way to easy. Having played games that did not need split screan co-op and knowing it made the game lack the pazaz, I would hope Crackdown 2 does not contain it.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By crunchUK

If it lets me spawn more vast amounts of explosive barrekls then im sold

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JJOR64

TIME TO CRACKDOWN ON YOU BITCHES!!

EDIT:  If you haven't seen Egoraptor's Awesome Cracks Down yet, go watch it NOW!

pakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By pakx

cant wait,  i play the first one to this day, it's my go-to "i've got ten minutes to kill" game.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29  Edited By aurahack

Yes. Times a motherfucking-million.

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By hexogen
    @Oger300 said:
    " @TheMustacheHero: Split screan co-op, in my opinion would be a mistake. Crackdown is a game where you are in control of a super agent. Having two would cause the game to be way to easy. Having played games that did not need split screan co-op and knowing it made the game lack the pazaz, I would hope Crackdown 2 does not contain it. "
    Split-screen or not, Crackdown 2 is going to have 4 player co-op, and the original had 2 player. How does split-screen co-op make the game any easier than non online co-op?
    georgecletus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By georgecletus

yay, more narrations that sometimes make no sense for the situation you're in.....

srsly tho crackdown pwns
    Oy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#32  Edited By Oy

Me.

MushroomStamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By MushroomStamp

Definetly want this one. LOVED the first one!

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#34  Edited By natetodamax

Should be cool.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Sounds cool I really enjoyed the original, and it sounds like they are going to really improve on it with the sequel.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By jakob187

Hey, I remember posting a thread about this!!!

McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By McQuinn

I gotta admit.  Infect city with monsters.  I'm getting a little deja'vu hear.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Oger300: but they already had 2 player co-op in the original one, sept it was only online.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TheHBK

Definitely gonna be a wait for a price drop game for me.

NAZAR3NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NAZAR3NE

The original Crackdown was a big surprise and one of my favorite games. I can't wait to learn more about it's sequel.

Steve_Ramirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Steve_Ramirez

So in 

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#42  Edited By MeatSim

There just straight up needs to be more stuff to do in this game this time around.

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MaddProdigy

My main complaint with the first one was the epic fail in terms of plot, if their fixin that up i'm pumped to get back in the sandbox with some super agility and that launcher that fires 400 rockets

Avatar image for snoopeasystreet
    snoopeasystreet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By snoopeasystreet

I'm playing through Crackdown again and am loving every minute of it. It truly is the most sandbox game out there at the moment. Glad to see they seem to be keeping the second one similar.

Can't wait :)
    _Phara0h_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By _Phara0h_
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " Hopefully this will be good....I want some splitscreen co-op! "
    This is a open world game forget the splitscreen, if they do it the game would look like a early ps2 game......

I remember the first game being good even good enough to finish it but this was also do to online Co-op.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Media_Master

Most games these days take place in cities that need 'help' from the player...

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Wolverine
    @Brad said:

"
    The lack of direction bothered me a lot because after a while I would get bored of having to find those bosses and I would just mess around in the city.
    CrescentFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CrescentFresh

I just played and finished Crackdown. One thing about that game; it was just plain fun. I'm am definitely looking forward to Crackdown 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.