Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crimson Shroud

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Dec 13, 2012

A 3DS RPG created by Yasumi Matsuno and Level 5 that is part of Guild 01 Collection of games.

EVERYBODY PAY ATTENTION TO ME

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I haven't played a lot of this game but no one here is talking about it and I hate you all.

Crimson Shroud is a Level 5 RPG where you roll dice and explore a dungeon.

Like you roll actually d20s and shit on the bottom screen it is awesome.

Why has no one done this.

I was going to make a really long OP about how choice sucks in video game now it punches moral choice games in the dick by proving that it feels more impactful when choice is completely grey and a roll of the dice can completely change your fate and it isn't up to choosing the right dialogue choice even if it is just something as mundane as deciding whether or not to open a chest.

The reason I didn't do this is because I am sick and have the poops.

I think a lot of developers are scared off of screwing over players like this but I don't think they should be. When you actually show the rolls the player have something to blame. When you surface actual dice it doesn't feel like you were just screwed over for no reason, you tried to do something and it didn't work out. There is a clear path of causality. It never feels like you're getting a result you didn't want because it's very clear what happened unlike ever Bioware RPG released in the last 2 years.

Also it's really difficult but fair and it has a smart combat system where you have to combo moves and all your spells and character stats are based on equipment, but this is Level 5 so this is to be expected.

Also it does a good job of evoking old school dungeon crawlers where you can get screwed over by opening the wrong door or getting greedy when you're in a fucking dungeon crawling with goblins. It inspires caution and tension despite the fact that the entire narrative is delivered through text.

It's really nice to see this kind of thing in a Japanese RPG which are often fairly straight forward and anyone who liked the old D&D CRPGs will at least get a kick out of this.

It's also like $8 so why the fuck not.

Also did I mention all the characters are actual miniatures, man this game is great.

No Caption Provided

The story is kind of confusing and the camera is zoomed up everyone's asshole but who cares, video games.

Freezer_Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Freezer_Burn

Now I feel like an asshole for not knowing more about this. Welp, time to go buy it.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By august

Whoa.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Benny

Just did a quick google search of this, pleasantly surprised by the look and reviews. I've been thinking about getting a 3DS for a long time now and I think it's pretty much there now in terms of unique games it has to offer.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Bocam

How much story does this have?

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6  Edited By Giantstalker

As a former D&D, Shadowrun, and BattleTech player I am intrigued by this.

Shame I don't own a 3DS, though.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LordXavierBritish

@Bocam said:

It seems like there is a much bigger plot that's going to unfold at some point, but at where I am in the game so far I've just been trekking through a dungeon.

The game opens with one of your party members waking up from a coma with some kind of black knight who seems to be a government official or something. It's kind of fucking confusing although it's been clearing a few things up the farther I've progressed.

They've constructed a very complex fantasy world and I think it's a little overwhelming at first as they try to cram in all these descriptions of races and Chasers and all this other shit. That being said it's done a good job of making it seem as though there is a lot more going on than just looking for a magical red blanket so hopefully it gets more interesting deeper in.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ducksworth

It isn't a Level-5 made game it's (I believe) only published by them, the gameplay itself is pure Matsuno. I freaking love this game and I've only reached the second floor, although I haven't put much of an emphasis in buffing my attacks/accuracy with roll out of the occasional situation. The figurines combined with narration give it a fresh feel and I'm excited to go through the New Game+ thrown my way.

@LordXavierBritish said:

They've constructed a very complex fantasy world and I think it's a little overwhelming at first as they try to cram in all these descriptions of races and Chasers and all this other shit. That being said it's done a good job of making it seem as though there is a lot more going on than just looking for a magical red blanket so hopefully it gets more interesting deeper in.

That's probably one of my favorite parts of Matsuno games. There's always a huge amount of information that needs to be absorbed and it's always deep enough that you have to be engrossed in the story but not to the level that you feel like it's impossible to take in....but it's so satisfying when it all clicks.

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#9  Edited By MuttersomeTaxicab

EVERYBODY LISTEN TO

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Haha, now I kind of want a 3DS just to play this.

Good luck (?) with the poops, man, those ain't no fun at all.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187

I need a 3DS solely for this game. Yasumi Matsuno is hands down my favorite designer, and I am sad that I cannot participate in this excellence.

I'm sure if I had played this, it would've been my Game of the Year based solely on my bias for Matsuno alone.

Regardless of all that, it's good to have Matsuno back! After the FFXII debacle, I just didn't know if he's ever bother coming back in full swing!

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Carryboy

Sorry what were you saying?

ApolloBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By ApolloBob

@Carryboy: I think he's saying playing Crimson Shroud gave him the poops.

Pabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Pabba

I just started this last night and, as silly as it sounds, I love rolling the dice on the bottom 3DS screen. It's really fun, and I'm glad they do the math for me right then and there. Story-wise, things are kind of awkward and slow, and there are a lot of systems to be aware of, but otherwise, it's off to a solid start. We'll see how long it lasts...

Avatar image for satelliteoflove
    SatelliteOfLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By SatelliteOfLove

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Bocam said:

It seems like there is a much bigger plot that's going to unfold at some point, but at where I am in the game so far I've just been trekking through a dungeon.

The game opens with one of your party members waking up from a coma with some kind of black knight who seems to be a government official or something. It's kind of fucking confusing although it's been clearing a few things up the farther I've progressed.

As is typical with Matsuno-crafted narratives, this is a snapshot on a larger whole. And it is whole. This isn't like most RPG narratives which pile on useless details and microcosm events that don't affect or shed light on the world or tale at large, each snippet of info or desciption is key to understanding or foreshadowing other things, or at least vital towards setting the mood. The most interesting part is that depth and maturity mirrors the gameplay always.

In other words, Matsuno Game.

Avatar image for generic_username
    generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By generic_username

Yeah, I'm actually loving this game. There's one part in particular where the game is unclear as to what you need to do next, and the thing you have to do is grind for a random drop, and I was literally doing the same fight over and over again for three straight hours because I have terrible luck. After that though, the game got excellent again, and am currently doing the new game + which opens up a few new areas and story bits. I've sunk in 12 hours so far, (granted three of them were me banging my head against a wall) and am not regretting the purchase at all. This game should be talked about more.

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pierre42

You get an extremely obscure bit of information that hints at what you need to do in Chapter 2.

In hindsight I consider it completely necessary though as it allowed me to grind for equipment so I was properly prepared for a couple more fights.

If I had one complaint I'd say it feels Episodic, but I've got no idea if there will be a sequel or not.

generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By generic_username

Yeah, I found that out when I Googled what I had to do. It was EXTREMELY obscure. Maybe it was more clear in the original Japanese?

It's also the only point where the game requires you to grind for a specific drop, so it's pretty easy to get lost there.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for living4theday258
    living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By living4theday258

what if I'm too busy listening to other people talk about video games?

generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By generic_username

That PA strip is so great. Maybe the game will get a few more copies sold, and we can see a FAQ somewhere, at some point.

katelyngadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By katelyngadd

The New Game + in Crimson Shroud blew my mind a little. At first it seems like nothing has changed and it's just a way to unlock a different ending, but then you start looking at the map more closely and realize there are new locations on it... lo and behold, the NG+ content is nearly as long as the first play-through.

If you're playing this and are having trouble figuring out NG+ (it's pretty obtuse, unfortunately) the thread on GameFaqs explains most of it: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/685766-crimson-shroud/64934330

Kratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kratch

I just bought a 3DS XL and am downloading this and Liberation Maiden. Seems like there is some pretty awesome stuff coming out of the Nintendo E-shop these days. I had no idea!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f71e1dc474f5
    deactivated-5f71e1dc474f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'M GOING TO PLAY THIS SOON I PROMISE

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is on sale for $5! I bought it and am looking forward to playing it!

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#26 sweep  Moderator

I'm going to assume your lack of grammar is a direct consequence of your urgent need to poop.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Old thread, but hey why not.

@generic_username said:

There's one part in particular where the game is unclear as to what you need to do next, and the thing you have to do is grind for a random drop, and I was literally doing the same fight over and over again for three straight hours because I have terrible luck.

Yeah, that part is bullshit, and when I finally did get the key from those damn skeletons, I got to the next area, saved, then immediately said "Fuck that" and stopped playing for a few weeks. I think I'll finally get back to it today. I do like the game's atmosphere, storytelling, and how tabletoppy it is, but the combat system is kinda meh. It's a little lame that all of your characters seem to get basically all of the same buffs and debuffs but in different orders, but whatever, the game was made on a shoestring budget, so I can't be too surprised that their combat system isn't mindblowing.

generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By generic_username

Old thread, but hey why not.

@generic_username said:

There's one part in particular where the game is unclear as to what you need to do next, and the thing you have to do is grind for a random drop, and I was literally doing the same fight over and over again for three straight hours because I have terrible luck.

Yeah, that part is bullshit, and when I finally did get the key from those damn skeletons, I got to the next area, saved, then immediately said "Fuck that" and stopped playing for a few weeks. I think I'll finally get back to it today. I do like the game's atmosphere, storytelling, and how tabletoppy it is, but the combat system is kinda meh. It's a little lame that all of your characters seem to get basically all of the same buffs and debuffs but in different orders, but whatever, the game was made on a shoestring budget, so I can't be too surprised that their combat system isn't mindblowing.

Once I got past that part, I actually had a lot of fun with it, I'd say it's worth picking back up. Though you will have to do at least one New Game + if you want to see the full story, so be prepared for a bit of a letdown the first time you finish it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.