Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crimson Shroud

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Dec 13, 2012

A 3DS RPG created by Yasumi Matsuno and Level 5 that is part of Guild 01 Collection of games.

So, who else is giving this a shot?

melodiousj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By melodiousj

I really don't know what to think about it.

I've been in one battle so far and read a whole lot of flavour text. I'm kinda worried that this one might turn out to be a little too hardcore for me.

I really like the abstracted look.

Wallzii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Wallzii

Downloading it right now. This is exactly the kind of game I want to play right now, and seeing who is involved, I'm pretty excited about how it should pan out. I'll be sure to leave some feedback once I've had some time with the game.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Kyreo

It looks awful, to be honest. With all the research I've done... I can't say I will be playing it. Tell me how it is.

CharlieCon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CharlieCon
    It looks awful, to be honest.

Just out of curiosity, what looks awful about it? The complete lack of animation is preeeetty weird at first, but it's actually pretty charming in a D&D kind of way.

Wallzii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Wallzii

Having a ton of fun with this. The gameplay is engaging, the music is great, and the writing is very well done. The systems can be a lot to take in at first but once they are laid out, they meld very well together and are a refreshing change from the norm. The only this that I am having trouble with are the combo chains; I understand the relationship between all the elements and how to build a chain, but sometimes it seems my chain is lost for no reason when I use an ability that should extend the combo, and instead my chain is broken. Can't figure out why this is happening.

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#6  Edited By MuttersomeTaxicab

I wish the prose for 999 was half as engaging as it is for Crimson Shroud. For me, I'm pretty hooked. I love the hardcore dedication to trying to replicate D&D; mechanics. The looting system seems pretty neat as well. I can totally see why some folks would be really put off by it, but I'm enjoying myself a fair bit.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
    Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

I just downloaded it yesterday and I'm enjoying it so far. I've been in a few battles and I think it's cool how the game is almost like a paper RPG simulator. Crimson Shroud actually reminds me a lot of the game Radical Dreamers except with more fleshed out battle sequences, which will be a positive or negative thing for some people. Again I'm having fun with the game and from what I've hear it's only a few hours long so it seems to be a worth while investment money and time wise even if it only ends up being "interesting."

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ducksworth

Question for those who have played it, how much does it rely on the "touch" aspect of the second screen? I think I might pick it up sometime tonight. Also, slightly unrelated but I've been using the 4GB card my 3DS came with but I think at the rate I'm going I should probably upgrade soon. How easy is it to move all my stuff to a new card?

Wallzii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wallzii

I don't use the touchscreen at all, though the option is there. It seems touch was designed as more of an afterthought. The game plays extremely intuitively without it, so nothing to worry about.

As for transferring the contents of your memory card to a larger one, it is very simple. Remove the card from your 3DS and put it in your PC and copy the entire contents to a backup location. Put your new SD card into your PC and format it to NTFS, then copy the backup of your old SD card onto the new one. Put the new card into your 3DS and you're done, simple as that!

Maitimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Maitimo

It's a Matsuno game. I can't imagine not giving it a shot. Waiting for the download to finish now.

Avatar image for generic_username
    generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By generic_username

I'm about 2 hours in so far, and (in the beginning, at least,) it's pretty slow paced. I do enjoy the writing though, and while the figures not moving is pretty off-putting at first, you get used to it. It's definitely NOT awful, but I can see how it could get repetitive after a while. Going to keep playing it, though.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Snail

Looking at screenshots, I'm not understanding what exactly is so "abstract" about the visuals.

generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By generic_username

The characters don't move. They're represented as figurines, even in cutscenes. It's hard to realize how strange it is until you're actually playing the game, and nothing moves. It's actually kind of cool in my opinion, but it took a few scenes to grow on me.

MikeHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MikeHawk

@Ducksworth: Really easy. I upgraded to a 16gb the other week (a little overkill, but I already had it and it was laying around not being used). All you do is just copy everything on the current SD card to your computer and then paste it to the new SD card.

Ataribomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ataribomb

Going to be downloading this a in a few. My only potential hang-up is that apparently it's rather short, which I understand. I just never like good games, especially RPGs, to be over quickly.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ducksworth

Awesome, I'll be upgrading my card soon enough then.

Downloaded this game last night, like most other people I found the figurine aspect a bit jarring at first but the table top style has really grown on me. The "Level-5" logo on the base of the figurines was also a nice touch. The gameplay has been great but a bit on the easy side, I'm still early though so I probably don't have a good measuring stick. The dice rolls also don't seem to be as impactful as I was hoping. I used some once to increase my accuracy and then I another time I put a whole set into buffing an attack just because I felt like I should be close to taking the dude down. Question about the combo system, do I get anything out of it other than new dice?

What about the game is putting you off?

melodiousj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By melodiousj

As far as I can tell, it's just new dice. Also, if you roll the dice too hard, one might fall off the table, which detracts from that particular roll, but adds that die to your pool of bonus dice.

I like rolling to see if a debuff or status effect is gonna work, even if it doesn't make it more likely to happen, at least the numbers are exposed so it doesn't feel as much like a guessing game.

VargasPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By VargasPrime

Question to anyone playing this:

The game mentions during the first chapter that there is a certain "technique" to rolling the dice in order to get better rolls, with different strokes affecting die of different sizes. Has anyone experimented with this? I've tried moving my stylus in different directions/shapes before releasing the dice, but I don't seem to be having any noticeably better results.

It even hints at one universal stroke that improves every roll, no matter the die sizes.

generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By generic_username

I haven't heard about a technique to rolling the dice, but I'm pretty sure that attacks that extend your combo hit harder in addition to getting extra dice.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Romination

I'd been itching for a D+D game recently just in real life, so this is really scratching that itch nicely until I can get something together. It's got such a deliciously pulpy fantasy feel to it, I've been enjoying the hour or so I've put in so far.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ducksworth

Is there something similar to the second floor on the third floor when it comes to progressing to the next floor? I thought I had a key because I already went through the mini-boss encounter against a Wraith, I also vaguely remember someone or something saying I should go back to a fork but I checked every room and triggered nothing.

Harpell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Harpell

So I'm considering downloading this. Any of you cats got any further thoughts on it? And an approximation of how long it was if possible.

I like the idea of a game emulating the whole DnD thing, since I rarely get to do that these days, but I'm sort of wary.

generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By generic_username

@harpell: If you don't get stuck on the bit on the second floor, (seriously, if you're having trouble, use a guide for that bit, it's really obtuse) I'd say it'll run you between 3-6 hours. I enjoyed it a lot. If I was to go to the trouble of writing a review, I'd probably give it three stars, but take away the aforementioned difficult part (I spent three hours on it. THREE HOURS. That's more than half the damn game.) I'd give it four stars.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f71e1dc474f5
    deactivated-5f71e1dc474f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just started this. Seems super cool.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Is the last boss meant to be kind of easy, compared to the surprisingly difficult trio of enemies you face shortly before that?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.