Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crusader Kings II

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Apr 18, 2012

The sequel to Paradox Interactive's Crusader Kings is a grand strategy game that focuses mostly on the dynasties of medieval Europe. Games begin as early as 769 and can span until 1453. Expansions have expanded the game's scope to include the Middle East, India and the Eurasian Steppe.

A Game of Thrones mod released.

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zimbo

In a land where summers last for years and winters last for decades, nine great families struggle for control of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros. Take control of a noble house, from the Starks of Winterfell to the Lannisters of Casterly Rock, and win the Iron Throne!

But remember, winter is coming.

You can download the modhere

Well, the mod I have been eagerly awaiting for months has finally been released and it is absolutely great. A must play for any Crusader Kings 2 fans who happen to enjoy the Song of Ice and Fire series.

They have only released one scenario at the moment. "Roberts Rebellion" which starts just as Robert Baratheon joins forces with the Starks, Arryns and Tullies to overthrow the mad king and rescue Lyanna Stark from the clutches of Rhaegar Targaryen. You can choose to play as any person from Ned Stark and the Mad King all the way down to Lord Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish. All of Westeros has been faithfully recreated to the best of the fans abilities and includes every single lord, city and castle.

In my playthrough I went for the obvious choice, Ned Stark. Everything starts off just like it does in the books with Lyanna being kidnapped and your brother and father being executed by the Mad King. I called the Norths banners and marched my army down through the Riverlands towards Kings Landing alongside the Arryns and Tullies. Robert went west from Storms End and takes Griffins Roost.

This is where the story starts to deviate. Rhaegar Targaryen is headed off by Lord Hoster Tully and with my help he is defeated and imprisoned by the Tullies instead of being killed by Robert on the Trident. I continue fighting my way through the crownlands, taking on a 20 thousand man army led by the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, the White Bull. After defeating him I notice that Tywin Lannister has joined us and helps us win Kings Landing and the war. The Mad King is killed (before he is able to have Dany so she doesn't even exist now!) Robert becomes King and rescues Lyanna Stark who becomes his queen. Jon Arryn dies of a illness and Tywin is appointed the Hand of the King in his place. I am appointed the Master at Arms of the Seven Kingdoms.

Rhaegar is ransomed and dies of mysterious circumstances a few months later. His two children are still alive and are "running" some sort of army that doesn't have any land to call its own. I head back to the North and have a daughter instead of Robb. My master at arms, the Old Bear dies before he becomes the Lord Commander of the Nights Watch and I replace him with Ser Jorah Mormont. Jaime Lannister is a member of Roberts Kingsguard and Cersei Lannister marries Hoster Tully and has many children! I call it a night before any more strange things happen.

Here are a few screenshots I quickly took of Westeros

Here is a small FAQ from the developers:

What is this?

A Game of Thrones is a total conversion mod for Crusader Kings II, based on George R. R. Martin's fantasy novel series, A Song of Ice and Fire.

Who can I play?

You can play as any landed feudal noble in Westeros, as well as the Night's Watch.

You can play as a holy order?

Yes. Although they're not that interesting at the moment. No wildlings yet.

What are some of the new features?

Knights, Maesters, our new "Megawar" system for handling civil wars, the Night's Watch, and a new system for plotting your assassinations are just a few among many.

What scenarios are available?

At the moment, our only available scenario is Robert's Rebellion, when Robert Baratheon, Eddard Stark, Jon Arryn, Hoster Tully, and Tywin Lannister overthrew the Mad King and brought the Targaryen dynasty to an end. We are looking into other scenarios for future releases.

Is Essos in the mod?

No, and it won't be until Paradox makes republics playable and interesting.

I haven't read all the books. Is it safe for me to play this mod?

The current scenario is set roughly sixteen years before the events of the books, so you should be fine. The mod's text files themselves, however, do contain spoilers through to A Dance With Dragons, especially the character history files.

I have a copy of the HBO show's opening theme what I acquired completely legitimately. How can I use it as my main menu music?

Convert it to .ogg format, move it to your Crusader Kings II\mod\A Game of Thrones\music folder, and rename it crusaderkings2_maintitle

Hey, I noticed some missing county shields...

This is technically a beta release.

I am a French speaker, why are the dynasty names in English?

For french users: si vous voulez jouer avec les dynasties traduites, rendez vous dans A Game of Thrones/Traduction dynastie/FAQ où vous trouverez la démarche à suivre pour jouer avec les noms des Maisons en français.

Hodor?

Hodor.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Dany

All that shit sounds fascinating. As fan fictiony as it sounds, it makes sense to some extent.

Sounds like the RTS tthe series deserves.

I would love to play as Tywin and then FUCK everyone over.

cabelhigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By cabelhigh

This looks so great. Thanks for the info!

Oddy4000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Oddy4000

I just bought CK2 yesterday, but unfortunately, the mod doesn't work with the mac client yet :(

ZoomyRamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By ZoomyRamen

It's a shame,I'm atrocious at these types of games, would have loved to have played this.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Commisar123

Sounds really neat actually, a good game to give a Game of thrones mod

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man! I have Crusader Kings 2 and I've put about 6 hours into it and still have no idea of how to play it properly. Fuck that sounds awesome.

I would play as Stannis and spend my time stuck at Storm's End by Tyrell and Redwyne. Wait for my Onion Knight to save me. Grind my teeth.

Redsox44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Redsox44

Man this makes me want the game more than anything else. Still too expensive though, hopefully it goes on sale in the summer.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Redsox44 It was 10 bucks on Amazon digital download yesterday, might still be able to grab it.
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By AlexW00d

@Brodehouse said:

Man! I have Crusader Kings 2 and I've put about 6 hours into it and still have no idea of how to play it properly. Fuck that sounds awesome. I would play as Stannis and spend my time stuck at Storm's End by Tyrell and Redwyne. Wait for my Onion Knight to save me. Grind my teeth.
    No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AlexW00d

@Brodehouse said:

Man! I have Crusader Kings 2 and I've put about 6 hours into it and still have no idea of how to play it properly. Fuck that sounds awesome. I would play as Stannis and spend my time stuck at Storm's End by Tyrell and Redwyne. Wait for my Onion Knight to save me. Grind my teeth.
    No Caption Provided
    GYA-HA-HA-HA-HA!

Okay fucking Crusader Kings, I'm back in.
    Redsox44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Redsox44

@Brodehouse: Cool, thanks just got it. Don't think I'll be able to dig into it until summer anyway though.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Aronman789

@Redsox44 said:

Man this makes me want the game more than anything else. Still too expensive though, hopefully it goes on sale in the summer.

Sale on Amazon right now

Edit: I should really reload the page before I post.

Redsox44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Redsox44

@Aronman789: Lol thanks anyway.

ionagenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ionagenda

It's really good. I don't know if there's really a better platform for a Song of Ice and Fire, playing as a country but more importantly a dude... I have really high hopes for where this goes.

At this point, when I play I just try to subvert every single bad thing that could possibly happen. Though it certainly becomes strange when Robert wins and the entire continent is painted grey, still very very cool.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Marz

@Brodehouse said:

@Redsox44 It was 10 bucks on Amazon digital download yesterday, might still be able to grab it.

thx for heads up, bought it and redeemed the code on steam.

fistfulofmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 29

#17  Edited By fistfulofmetal

bought on Amazon. can't wait to try this.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Leptok

They should add an eu3 style story ending to it, make it print out your own story at the end.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Dizzyhippos

@Zimbo: I cant find this mod anyware did something happen?

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@Dizzyhippos: The mods for CK2 (including this one I'm pretty certain) are centralized at their official forums (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?551-Crusader-Kings-II - off-site Paradox Interactive link) which requires users to register with their CK2 serial number in order to view the mods threads. If you ordered it from Steam you can copy and paste the "CD key" directly into whichever field asks for it on the Games page after you register/confirm email as a user.

It's an interesting method they've come up with to discourage piracy by requiring serial keys to access the mods forum there.

They've got a bunch of other good balance/map/graphics mods there, too. I don't think they send annoying emails, either (although I haven't been registered there that long myself).

Vequeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Vequeth

FYI They just updated this mod to work with the latest patch.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Well this makes a ton of sense. I almost want to check it out but my enjoyment of these kind of strategy games usually doesn't go past the limited strategy map element of the Total War games.

Vequeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Vequeth

@ArtisanBreads said:

Well this makes a ton of sense. I almost want to check it out but my enjoyment of these kind of strategy games usually doesn't go past the limited strategy map element of the Total War games.

If it encourages you any, playing as Eddard Stark I just had a bastard child with Ceresi Lannister.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Vequeth said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

If it encourages you any, playing as Eddard Stark I just had a bastard child with Ceresi Lannister.

It really does haha. That's what I'm saying I love all the idea of this stuff.

Going to keep an eye out for it, hopefully it goes on a Steam sale.

Vequeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vequeth

So you know there is a free demo that lets you play any of 4 characters for 20 years http://www.crusaderkings.com/media/demos

If you are going to try it out id reccomend learning through youtube videos/ the quick look rather than in game tutorials.

Vequeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Vequeth

FYI This mod has just had a major update: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...Game-of-Thrones

Main features:
    - New scenarios: The Greyjoy Rebellion and A Clash of Kings.
    - New mega-wars with multiple rebel leaders added.
    - Dragons.

Events, jobs, plots and decisions:
    - Added the ability to appoint commanders of the Gold Cloaks, Oldtown City Watch, Lannisport and Bloody Gate. Done through giving honourary title, and revokable through personal interaction. [ side effect: blackfish is playable ]
    - Trial by combat updated to use duel engine. Can now ask captor for one via decision.
    - Duel Engine optimization and balance changes.
    - Added an event chain where a High Lord can ask for the local Lord Paramountcy if it is either owned by the king or vacant.
    - Added a plot for the King to revoke a Lord Paramountcy off a vassal that has 3 or more.
    - Added a 'White Book' decision, listing all current members of the Kingsguard as well as facts about notable past members.
    - Added an event chain dealing with the King punishing losing rebels from a mega war.
    - If a character with a landless title is high valyrian they are no longer culled.
    - When a high valyrian is culled, a new non-high valyrian is generated to stop a loop of culling and a new high valyrian appearing.
    - Added decision a player can enact if they have a custom made High Valyrian character. It will make sure they aren't culled or culture changed.
    - Fixed employed Maesters not getting any education traits.
    - Trial by combat. Under-aged female rulers cannot fight in the trial, unless they have Martial >20.
    - Increased gifting opinion.
    - Added events to gain Blackfyre and other named blades in battle.
    - Fixed bug where you could punish yourself in Lord's right event chain.
    - If the Iron Throne changes hands the Grandmaester should be moved to the new King's court, rather than a new one being selected.
    - Fixed bugged asign councillor mission personal interaction.
    - Prohibited the Archmaester of the Citadel from holding tourneys.
    - Reinstated vanilla congenital trait system.
    - Maesters can no longer ask for non-maester council positions.
    - Altered banish to wall decision. AI will only do it if they have a negative opinion of the character.
    - Most "buy loyalty" plots for the player moved to character screen-based initiation, to keep the plot list from overflowing.
    - Prohibited bastards from asking for titles.
    - Modified some nightswatch events so they work better with wildling mechanics.
    - If a vassal or relative is granted a LP by the King they now get all dejure titles under it held by the King.
    - Disabled the event from the Better rebels Mod that destroys buildings, as it destroyed the base value buildings.
    w00ties

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By w00ties

Anyone know if there are HBO Game of Thrones character portraits available? I know plenty of people on the mod forums despise the idea, but I would love to see the characters I've been watching on TV represented in the game by their HBO portrait.

At the moment I have found myself forgetting/mixing up certain characters with nothing to go on but a generic 3D portrait.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.