Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crusader Kings II

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Apr 18, 2012

The sequel to Paradox Interactive's Crusader Kings is a grand strategy game that focuses mostly on the dynasties of medieval Europe. Games begin as early as 769 and can span until 1453. Expansions have expanded the game's scope to include the Middle East, India and the Eurasian Steppe.

Did anyone else get this game after the QL?

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Leptok

Man, It's been my favorite since I picked it up, so fun.

Did anyone else get into it? Are there enough crazy people out there for a multiplayer th game?

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By breadfan

I really wanted to, but I couldn't get a grasp on Europa and figured Crusader Kings would be similar. I know it's got something of a crazy barrier of entry, but how easy is it to have a basic understanding of the game?

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I played the demo and enjoyed it, waiting for a Steam sale.

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Jrad

I've been a huge Paradox fan for a while, so I'd already preordered CK2 and put in something like 50 hours when I saw the QL. It was still great, though. I'd be up for a multiplayer game sometime. If the multiplayer were better implemented (drop-in would be nice!) a TnT would be hilarious/amazing.

If we were to get a game going, I'd suggest aiming for 4 or 5 people and have everyone play as members of the same dynasty. Rurikovich, maybe?

@Breadfan: CK2 is the most accessible Paradox strategy game there is (besides Sengoku, which is just a CK2-lite set in Japan); it's really absolutely nothing like EU3. World conquest isn't the focus, and in fact, it's basically impossible. You can flounder about and have a great time (my first game, I worked my way up to King of England and Scotland from a lowly one-county count over a period of 150 years) -- compared to EU3, a game which is hopelessly unforgiving to newcomers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60061752a57
    deactivated-5e60061752a57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Waiting for a good sale or a complete pack as it seems they're going heavy with the DLC.

Oddy4000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Oddy4000

The DLC doesn't seem to have much value - $10 for a few new song tracks and a ruler designer. =\

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Red12b

i did, shouldnt've though...

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@PeasantAbuse said:

I played the demo and enjoyed it, waiting for a Steam sale.

Your wish has been granted! It is on sale now!

I just grabbed it and I'm pretty excited -- I'm a big fan of grand strategies.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sanity

After sleeping on it i grabbed this on sale this morning before the deal goes away as i keep hearing crazy things about this game. I enjoyed the QL but it was too expensive before as im not sure if i can get into it or not, looking forward to after work to give it a go.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Binman88

Bought it and tried playing it while half asleep last night. Didn't go well, will try again today but it seems too crazy even for me.

Gravier251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gravier251

I got it back when the quick look came out. I rather enjoy it. My first playthrough took me about 32 hours in which I went from a nobody (Aelfricson in Shrewsbury) to eventually conquering Scotland. Then from there systematically conquered almost the rest of England, half of Ireland and a small portion of France. Sadly the game ended right when I had plans to conquer the rest of France, England and had even married a daughter matrilinearly to a prince of the Holy Roman Empire. So any kids they have would be of my dynasty and if the other people in line to succession for that empire had sudden "accidents", the entire empire would have fallen under my dynasty. But the game ended, damn reneissance era hehe.

I had a lot of fun with it and I feel that I prefer the more methodical, politically minded pace to the total war games. Also the focus on dynasty rather than nations is a nice touch. Greatest ruler I had was I believe a Queen called Lishan, was under her that I declared war on scotland, hired a load of mercenaries and in the very first battle took the king prisoner. Instantly won me the war and I claimed his crown. Not bad for a dynasty that started with a single territory, I got pretty lucky hehe.

I had the occassional internal trouble, generally just the same families, any people who try to rebel though with only one or two territories were easily put down. The one time I had trouble was when I had a lord who owned about 9 territories rebel. Also his dynasty kept trying to make things elective, lower my authority, etc. Eventually they pushed it too far and after a failed rebellion wound up in prison, their titles revoked and then subsequently executed. Didn't have any more trouble out of them after that.

Oh, and I once declared war on the papacy to reclaim land I gifted them in order to get a divorce. Took the pope prisoner, bribed the guy who replaced him then executed the Pope to cement the replacement's position. Didn't really get into trouble for it as the replacement one's opinion of me was 100. Suppose he liked the bribe and the sudden promotion hehe.

It is a fun game and I love the stories it creates with all the intrigue. Not so much about conquering the whole of europe, more just about getting by and furthering the prestige of your dynasty.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Wuddel

Grabbed it at 75% off. Still no Idea what to do.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.