Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Cryostasis

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Apr 15, 2009

Arctic-themed Cryostasis has players explore a relatively faithfully constructed Soviet-era nuclear ice-breaker. Game mechanics include using heat and exhaustion to represent player stamina, using heat sources to regain this stamina, and the use of a flashback ability to alter the past.

Would Cryostasis be better without combat?

BitterAlmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BitterAlmond

Not just because of how weirdly clunky it is (I actually kind of like that: it adds a more awkward, keep-your-elbows-in-to-stay-warm kind of feel), but for the atmosphere of the game in general. It's as if they had this wonderful first-person adventure game and then shoehorned in whatever the hell those screeching zombies/madmen are at the last second.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Binman88

I think the combat could have been better, but I wouldn't say it would be better off without it. To make it interesting without combat they would have needed a lot of good puzzles, and I think there's only so much they could do with the environment they created. I think the mix of combat and 'adventure' worked well. 

Noctis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Noctis

No the game dont have good enough puzzles to hold on its own without combat, but I like it any way, it helps making the game harder, and keeps you  more on edge because you know you can easily die, reminds me a lot of the first resident evil where you knew tha every encounter  with an enemy could be the last. The game is good the way it is. 

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By BeachThunder

Maybe...I've never actually thought of it that way. Personally, I think the game had a reasonable amount of varied combat - it wasn't excessive and it didn't get in the way of anything else. It definitely would have made it scarier though; there were only a few parts which I felt were genuinely scary (the underwater part near the beginning, the spider...thing, the dog area). 

Anyway, I don't think the enemies were exactly unwarranted - they all had their own symbolism and they made sense in terms of both stories.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.