Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Cryptic Studios

Company »

Cryptic Studios is best known for their hit title City of Heroes and its subsequent expansion, City of Villains, both of which have earned numerous awards by popular gaming websites.

Atari Dropping Cryptic Studios, Moving Largely to External Development

• 52 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    No Caption Provided

The future of Cryptic Studios is a little less certain, with Atari revealing plans to drop the studio from its internal portfolio. Atari quietly disclosed the move away from Cryptic in its financial results today.

"In line with the previously stated strategy of fewer but more profitable releases and further expansion into casual online and mobile games," said the company, in full-on financial gobbledegook speak, "the Company [Atari] has determined that external development creates more flexibility in the changing marketplace. Therefore, the Company has made the decision to divest itself from Cryptic Studios."

Cryptic Studios has one of the most expansive portfolios of MMOs in the business, achieving early success with City of Heroes and City of Villains. The studio was once working on Marvel Universe Online with Microsoft, but that project was cancelled and became Champions Online. Star Trek Online was its last major release, with several unannounced games also in development, including one based on Neverwinter.

Atari purchased Cryptic Studios in late 2008. Likely in the process of finding a new buyer, Cryptic Studios had no comment on Atari's decision.

"We have no statement to make regarding the earlier press release," the company told me.

Leaving Cryptic comes alongside Atari's move to working almost exclusively with external creators.

"Atari’s games will mainly be developed externally with selected third party game studios to contribute to a more flexible and cost efficient organization," reads one section of the results.

The two companies will continue working with each other, though, as Neverwinter progresses.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek
    No Caption Provided

The future of Cryptic Studios is a little less certain, with Atari revealing plans to drop the studio from its internal portfolio. Atari quietly disclosed the move away from Cryptic in its financial results today.

"In line with the previously stated strategy of fewer but more profitable releases and further expansion into casual online and mobile games," said the company, in full-on financial gobbledegook speak, "the Company [Atari] has determined that external development creates more flexibility in the changing marketplace. Therefore, the Company has made the decision to divest itself from Cryptic Studios."

Cryptic Studios has one of the most expansive portfolios of MMOs in the business, achieving early success with City of Heroes and City of Villains. The studio was once working on Marvel Universe Online with Microsoft, but that project was cancelled and became Champions Online. Star Trek Online was its last major release, with several unannounced games also in development, including one based on Neverwinter.

Atari purchased Cryptic Studios in late 2008. Likely in the process of finding a new buyer, Cryptic Studios had no comment on Atari's decision.

"We have no statement to make regarding the earlier press release," the company told me.

Leaving Cryptic comes alongside Atari's move to working almost exclusively with external creators.

"Atari’s games will mainly be developed externally with selected third party game studios to contribute to a more flexible and cost efficient organization," reads one section of the results.

The two companies will continue working with each other, though, as Neverwinter progresses.

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Portis

They'll find a buyer -- Cryptic does good work.

But then again, I said the same thing about Bizarre Creations...
    Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Legend

I wonder what will happen to STO. If Atari is the owner of the Star Trek license, then they'll either shut it down or give it to another studio.

Robitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Robitt

I like Cryptics work. Hope they land on their feet.

NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NakAttack

bummer

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lockwoodx

Big surprise after STO.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#7  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I think they'll do fine if they're purchased by a company that allows them to develop games with the necessary development time.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By mikemcn
    @Legend said:
    I wonder what will happen to STO. If Atari is the owner of the Star Trek license, then they'll either shut it down or give it to another studio.
    I hope they don't shut it down, from my time with it, it did have potential and it was a neat star trek experience. 
    kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By kagato

This isnt good, im assuming a lot of the capital used for Star Trek was put up by Atari, ive really been enjoying the game so i hope it dosent get shut down or worse....bought over by SOE!  A lot of talented and hard working folk work there too, i hope we dont see any of them loose their jobs out of this.

ApolloBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By ApolloBob

Yeah, I don't think much about the quest for replying first (since I was lucky enough to get it a while ago), but I certainly would support getting rid of it if it makes people type "sweet" and "nice" as a kneejerk reaction to any news.  Poor form.

jeffk38uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jeffk38uk

Apparently it was already in Atari's mind to shift to smaller developments and mobile games, so their decision to sell Cryptic is sorta expected, but no less unfortunate.

Hopefully a buyer for Cryptic and their games as CO recent Free to play transition was quite good, and STO has been doing quite well over the year from what I've read and what they have planned.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By PhatSeeJay

It's a shame if Cryptic won't survive it, I've quite enjoyed STO since the later patches.

Norusdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Norusdog

if only they had done this before STO.  Cryptic is balls.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By crusader8463

The first last game they made that was any good was the City of games. They had rumors of a COH 2 for a few years now, but given their track record of destroying all of their games with nickle and dimming, not to mention just making bad games, I don't think we will be seeing it any time soon now.

coderanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By coderanger
    @Legend: Atari doesn't have the STO license, Cryptic does (that deal far predates Atari owning Cryptic). They do, however, control the Neverwinter license ....
    fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#16  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
    @Mikemcn said:
    @Legend said:
    I hope they don't shut it down, from my time with it, it did have potential and it was a neat star trek experience. 
    Yeah, I rather enjoyed STO. Of the MMO's I've tried it's the only one I've been sticking with, even after getting a free copy of WOW. I don't think it's worth 14.99 a month, but then again, I can't think of any game that is. Instead I'm scouring retail stores for cheap STO time cards.
    fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#17  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
    @coderanger said:
    @Legend: Atari doesn't have the STO license, Cryptic does (that deal far predates Atari owning Cryptic). They do, however, control the Neverwinter license ....
    Doesn't Bethesda still own the Star Trek license, with Atari licensing it from them or getting some special deal with Paramount?
    Hopefully they'll work it out somehow.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Jimbo

I wonder what this means for Neverwinter.  Atari own the D&D rights iirc. 

Hopefully they can figure something out on that, because I think that game has (or had) potential if they're smart about properly incentivising community created content.

drwhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By drwhat

Should have happened a long time ago.

coderanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By coderanger
    @fisk0: No, it is (or at least was, I've been out of that loop for a few months) just a deal between Cryptic and CBS (Paramount only holds the license for movies, general licensing is still the domain of CBS).
    vinsanityv22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By vinsanityv22

Good for Atari. Cryptic didn't seem worth it. Also, it's nice to see a publisher NOT buy up a studio. I'm sick of guys like Activision acquiring studios like Bizarre, just to shut them down when they turn out to not fit into their particular strategy (in Activision's case, "All Call of Duty, All the Time").

elcalavera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By elcalavera
    @vinsanityv22: So what you're basically saying is that you think it's good that Atari gets rid of Cryptic and that you don't like it when publishers get rid of developers they no longer wish to keep hold of? Cryptic.
    masonl87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By masonl87

Can you really blame them? Everything Cryptic has touched since after CoH launched has been garbage. It's a smart move to distance yourself from that.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mackgyver

I hope this doesn't mean the end of Star Trek Online.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EmuLeader
    @Portis said:
    They'll find a buyer -- Cryptic does good work.

But then again, I said the same thing about Bizarre Creations...
    at least they used to do good work...champions and star trek were not very good
    Spoonybard37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By Spoonybard37

Cant really say I'm surprised :/

Gobias_Int

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gobias_Int

Getting away from Atari is probably a good move.

SubTact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SubTact
    Champions Online was/is a solid game IMO.  It held my attention far longer than any other MMORPG I've tried.   The major flaw for me, was that I couldn't care any less for the Champions Table Top game's  mythology/story and the world's "main" characters.  

It's a real tragedy that it didn't become the Marvel MMORPG it was initially going to be.

I really hope they'll still exist, Champions had some interesting gameplay and balance  for a MMORPG, and I'd like to see them evolve and apply their philosophy to future games.
    Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Wuddel

I mean Star Trek online was bad .... real bad.

Dedlok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dedlok
    @Portis: I guess one good game that they almost screwed over when they they pulled most of the team to work on what became a canceled project qualifies as "good work." Well that and selling the rights to the property to the publisher. Rest of their stuff has been pretty much crap.
    RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By RobertOrri

They had many chances.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Goddamn Atari, one of the worst publishers out there and they have the Goddamn D&D license.  What the fuck, Wizards, give it to EA, give it to 2K, even fucking Activision would make better use out of your incredible IP than fucking Goddamn sonofabitching Infogramatari.

Avatar image for arrested_developer
    Arrested_Developer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess that means STO isn't profitable right?

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what are the chances of STO going FTP now?

Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Nocall

You got what you deserve, Cryptic.

EndrzGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By EndrzGame

"...... with selected third party game studios to contribute to a more flexible and cost efficient organization."
    For some reason this statement didn't sit well with me.

RaisingIndiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RaisingIndiana

the first two commenters really need to use different words for their tries for "first." Its a messed up article and you guys sound like jerks for those posts. Granted, I understand they didn't actually read the article before posting. "Tragic" or "Bummer" could've been good alternatives.

Lepton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Lepton

So long, Star Trek Online. I hardly played ye.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#39  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I recall NWN2 sucking badly.  No wonder they've never came out with a third.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Example1013

First.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By frankxiv
    @crusader8463 said:
    The first last game they made that was any good was the City of games. They had rumors of a COH 2 for a few years now, but given their track record of destroying all of their games with nickle and dimming, not to mention just making bad games, I don't think we will be seeing it any time soon now.
    it's still possible, considering they sold the rights to ncsoft before champions even came out, so city of... is a whole different beast now.
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By crusader8463
    @onimonkii said:
    @crusader8463 said:
    it's still possible, considering they sold the rights to ncsoft before champions even came out, so city of... is a whole different beast now.
    Right right. I keep forgetting how that all worked out. All the names ran together to me after a while. Here's hoping we still get another City of game!
    Zohar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Zohar

I may sound overly harsh here but...

this is what happens when you make bad games.

City of Heroes was/is a good game (now being run by Paragon Studios directly under NCsoft)

STO was seriously lacking both balance and interesting content and was horribly repetitive.  CO was just not a great game at all.

FMinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By FMinus

Hey, I liked the miniature star ships models floating 'round when you beamed down to a planet due to lag and bad loading code - I guess everyone felt more immersed in the Star Trek universe that way.  

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#45  Edited By Brackynews
    @crusader8463
    Here's hoping we still get another City of game!
    City of Consoles! 
    Massively multiplayer console wars. When Words Aren't Enough™

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

What the hell happened to Atari...again?

And then again.

Nolan Bushnell obviously needs more control over there.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#47  Edited By Kyle
    @Brackynews said:
    @crusader8463
    Here's hoping we still get another City of game!
    City of Consoles! 
    Massively multiplayer console wars. When Words Aren't Enough™

Get this man a development team!
    Swordfish9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Swordfish9

I was playing Star Trek Online for about three months last year, but got bored and canceled my subscription. Good thing I did not buy the lifetime membership.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#49  Edited By Chris2KLee

Cryptic seemed like strong bet a few years ago, but they bit off more than they could chew with two big MMO's in a relatively short time.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By xymox

I'm still interested in Champions Online: and there *is* room for a F2P comic book MMO on the market seeing as there are none of those except champions. Hopefully they don't close down yet. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.