Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crysis 2

Game » consists of 37 releases. Released Mar 22, 2011

Set three years after the original Crysis, an ambushed Marine named Alcatraz dons the famous Nanosuit and fights his way through an obliterated New York City to stop the alien invasion.

Demo Impressions

• 95 results
    Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Jackel2072

I really like it so far. besides the glaring lag issue that should be fixed in the near future. The game is solid and a worthy edition to the mutiplayer FPS house. It really is a mix of COD and Halo and so far with my brief time with the demo i feel its a solid mirage. you have the armor  abilities of Reach mixed with the more frantic and fast paced action found in COD... oh and there are kill streaks (COD4) Right now i like to see where the leveling system takes me. when i quit (stupid work) i just reached level 2 in both Armor and Power  abilities. i was playing as the "gunner" which is basically a walking Tank. You can soak up more damage with Armor turned on and you get a big ol M60 type gun. im hoping that Armor doesn't become too over powered as the suit levels becuase i can already see everyone picking that over cloak. Cloak is interesting as well. so far i have found it to come more in handy defensively. hiding in a corner cloaked to reload quick for example. so far so good though. il be playing more of it once i get off work!  

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By PhatSeeJay

The demo caters to one of my biggest amusements in both Bad Company 2 and Call of Duty. To find a route around the enemy and melee them to death!
    The weapons become rather unreliable when everyone armor up all the time so I seem to get more out of just punching them in the face. I have 27 kills with melee so far and probably 8 with the other weapons combined.
    Not that I really mind.. It's really fun to punch people in the face.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

I don't like it very much. Nothing about it stands out to me, and the fact that it has UAV, air strike, and helicopter kill streaks at 3, 5, and 7 respectively is just weird. Not every game needs to be like Call of Duty.

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By borodin

I really really like it so far. I never in a million years thought they'd manage to port the controls for Crysis on to a gamepad so well - other than grenades not being it's own buttons there isn't anything counter-intuitive about it, huge success imo. The way it 'feels' moving around the map (which I think is really strong) especially with the suit powers is great, mantling is really well implemented and opens the level up vertically. Shooting is great, melee is great, I don't really have any complaints tbh. 

I can maybe agree with natetodamax that they didn't *need* to have the killstreaks in there, I dunno, I don't hate them but it is a little odd.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OmegaPirate

I think it's a lot better than the first one in every way including graphically and really shows how much it has evolved now it has embraced all the best that console gaming has to offer! cant wait for the full release!

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss

Didn't have time to check it out yet.
    Is it strictly a multiplayer demo?

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Pie
    @ProfessorEss: Yep
    Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Arker101

Yeah, the killstreak thing is a little off putting, but otherwise it fells like a solid experience.  
    My friends will probably go right back to Blops once they've played it, but it's a great refresher for me.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Pie said:

" @ProfessorEss: Yep "

I might skip. I much more interested in seeing what the campaign has to offer.
    I heard such a mix of opinions when it came to the first Crysis' single-player.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NTM

Wait, is this the demo that says Crysis 2 Multiplayer Closed Beta? I don't understand. I've played the beta when it came out a few months ago. Where's the actual demo that's not beta? I'm not actually interested in the MP part of the game, I just want to see the improvements over the Beta.
    XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By XenoNick

Gonna go download now.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AlexW00d

Almost everything in this thread has confirmed my fear that this sequel is going to be shit and cater for the console masses, and by that I mean CoD. :(

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @AlexW00d said:

" Almost everything in this thread has confirmed my fear that this sequel is going to be shit and cater for the console masses, and by that I mean CoD. :( "

That's why I'm curious about the campaign. I'm not the biggest multi-player guy, and especially not a big fan of the CoD style.

I kinda have my fingers crossed (only to be letdown no doubt) that it will have some FarCry 2 shit goin on in it's campaign. I know it was unbearable for most but man oh man did I love that game's openness. Unfortunately, FarCry 2's structure (lack of?) obviously doesn't exactly fall under "mass appeal" .
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AlexW00d
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " @AlexW00d said:
    " Almost everything in this thread has confirmed my fear that this sequel is going to be shit and cater for the console masses, and by that I mean CoD. :( "
    That's why I'm curious about the campaign. I'm not the biggest multi-player guy, and especially not a big fan of the CoD style.  I kinda have my fingers crossed (only to be letdown no doubt) that it will have some FarCry 2 shit goin on in it's campaign. I know it was unbearable for most but man oh man did I love that game's openness. "
    Yeah same here, did you play the first one? That was open as fuck, not as sandbox-y as FarCry2, but still open as hell. 

Also from what I have heard I gather you only get to use one suit power? The hell is with that?
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @AlexW00d said:
    Yeah same here, did you play the first one? That was open as fuck, not as sandbox-y as FarCry2, but still open as hell.  Also from what I have heard I gather you only get to use one suit power? The hell is with that? "
    That doesn't apply to multiplayer though. You have cloak and armor on the bumpers to swap between from the get go and you add a lot of minor powers in upgrade slots.
    Only thing that has changed I guess from what I can gather is how the speed and jump upgrade works. He jumps higher in context sensitive matters, like from an open ledge with a gap between he'll jump significantly longer than when doing a plain jump on solid ground.

Also, the only thing that actually bothers me is how they just blatantly ripped off the kill streak bonuses. To me it could have been enough with minor improvements to the suit. Like if you get a three kill streak, the suit would emit a radar pulse to reveal people in close vicinity with each pulse. That's of course the same as  a radar but it feels like it fits the gameplay around the suit a lot more.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @AlexW00d said:

Yeah same here, did you play the first one? That was open as fuck, not as sandbox-y as FarCry2, but still open as hell.  Also from what I have heard I gather you only get to use one suit power? The hell is with that? "

No I haven't played it.

For the longest time all I heard about Crysis was the standard "generic FPS / tech demo" rants, but then in some thread someone (probably Hitman, lol) mentioned how open this thing was I instantly thought of FarCry 2 and instantly my interest rose.

Unfortunately, I don't have a computer that can run it (I have a fairly new computer but it's streamlined for work and has near zero 3D capability). I also work all day on my computer so I have a real hard time relaxing with in front of it these days. I was pretty happy to hear that Crysis 2 was coming to consoles but I have a funny feeling all that stuff from the first that sounded interesting to me has probably been "streamlined" out of the game.

Really makes me wish they'd port Crysis to the consoles, I don't care that much about the graphical hit it would take.

(...or maybe I'll just have to get another PC to hook up in my living room - it's just a little pricey considering I'm already backlogged for all eternity as it is)
    Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Arker101
    @AlexW00d: it seems "Power" mode is the default for any kind of movement, and armor and stealth are mapped to the bumpers. 
    I still haven't found the tactical binoculars, and I assume if you sprint(down on left stick)and use armor, your using two "modes" at the same time. I'm not sure about stealth and armor though, maybe press both bumpers down?
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AlexW00d
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " @AlexW00d said:

That's the thing.  For the longest time all I heard about Crysis was the standard "generic FPS / tech demo" rants, but then in some thread someone (probably Hitman, lol) mentioned how open this thing was I instantly thought of FarCry 2 and instantly my interest rose.  Unfortunately, I don't have a computer that can run it (I have a fairly new computer but it's streamlined for work and has near zero 3D capability). I also work all day on my computer so I have a real hard time relaxing with in front of it these days. I was pretty happy to hear that Crysis 2 was coming to consoles but I have a funny feeling all that stuff from the first that sounded interesting to me has probably been "streamlined" out of the game.  Really makes me wish they'd port Crysis to the consoles, I don't care that much about the graphical hit it would take.  (...or maybe I'll just have to get another PC to hook up in my living room - it's just a little pricey considering I'm already backlogged for all eternity as it is) "
    Yeah it really isn't just a generic FPS, nor is it a tech demo, it is actually a really good game, i'd even say one of the best FPS I have played, although I don't play too many. 
    Yeah I also share that funny feeling... I was going to say i'd probably just wait till they release a proper Demo that showcases the game itself, not the multiplayer... But does that ever even happen any more?
    conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By conker

Wow. I can't believe they released the demo as an Xbox 360 exclusive. What happened to all the "we're not abandoning PC etc". And the fact that they just ripped off COD4 killstreaks is just...I'm at a loss for words.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AlexW00d
    @Arker101 said:
    " @AlexW00d: it seems "Power" mode is the default for any kind of movement, and armor and stealth are mapped to the bumpers. I still haven't found the tactical binoculars, and I assume if you sprint(down on left stick)and use armor, your using two "modes" at the same time. I'm not sure about stealth and armor though, maybe press both bumpers down? "
    Oh, I see, that sounds a pants. but that isn't what I meant, which is good. 
    From what people had written I thought you had to choose one of the 4 powers to be your sole power.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @AlexW00d: Yeah I'll just wait till it's out and I get get all the info on it.

I'd definitely be up for another open-world shooter (openish anyways). I'm surprised there aren't more.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Conker
    Wow. I can't believe they released the demo as an Xbox 360 exclusive. What happened to all the "we're not abandoning PC etc". And they just ripped off COD4 killstreaks is just...I'm at a loss for words.
    Relax, they got paid money...they're not abandoning pc, they developed a whole separate engine for pc...it will look better than console and they still developed privately for pc. Just because ms paid them money for a mp demo doesn't mean that the pc versions gonna suck. Also saying that it's a cod4 tipoff without playing it is sellin it short; I've played it and it seems like a good hybrid of several modern shooters, but then also had its own unique feel.
    conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By conker
    @DystopiaX said:
    " @Conker
    Wow. I can't believe they released the demo as an Xbox 360 exclusive. What happened to all the "we're not abandoning PC etc". And they just ripped off COD4 killstreaks is just...I'm at a loss for words.
    Relax, they got paid money...they're not abandoning pc, they developed a whole separate engine for pc...it will look better than console and they still developed privately for pc. Just because ms paid them money for a mp demo doesn't mean that the pc versions gonna suck. Also saying that it's a cod4 tipoff without playing it is sellin it short; I've played it and it seems like a good hybrid of several modern shooters, but then also had its own unique feel. "
    I guess so. We'll just have to wait and see how the campaign is.
    withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By withateethuh

I really like the menu music. I hope the rest of the single-player soundtrack is like that.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Arker101
    @AlexW00d said:
    " @Arker101 said:
    " @AlexW00d: it seems "Power" mode is the default for any kind of movement, and armor and stealth are mapped to the bumpers. I still haven't found the tactical binoculars, and I assume if you sprint(down on left stick)and use armor, your using two "modes" at the same time. I'm not sure about stealth and armor though, maybe press both bumpers down? "
    Oh, I see, that sounds a pants. but that isn't what I meant, which is good. From what people had written I thought you had to choose one of the 4 powers to be your sole power. "
    Oh, my bad, but from my play time you can use any power you want when you want. There are "modules" that affect your powers, but you still get all 4 of those powers.
    withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By withateethuh

Well its really laggy, and judging from the footage I saw of the xbox360 closed beta a few months ago, this is the same build.

Psych0Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Psych0Penguin

Is it MP or SP?

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jack268

From the little I played, this looks like a terrible Xbox game to be honest. The freezing can be fixed, but the aiming brings me back to the BFBC2 Xbox beta, which convinced me not to get the game for Xbox. Since my PC isn't that great either and I probably won't get a solid 60 FPS, I may have to pass this game up completely. Gonna try changing the sensitivity around to see if it helps, but I feel pity for anyone who has a capable PC and buys this for Xbox. The controls are better translated than they were in the first game, but this is still far from keyboard+mouse good.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#29  Edited By JJWeatherman

Downloading now. I have only a small bit of experience with the original game, but I'm excited to try this out.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By SSully
    @Conker said:
    " Wow. I can't believe they released the demo as an Xbox 360 exclusive. What happened to all the "we're not abandoning PC etc". And the fact that they just ripped off COD4 killstreaks is just...I'm at a loss for words. "
    It was obvious the way they were going when they released the first trailer for the game. Either have to accept it, or just move on. There are plenty of games coming out this year, you can easily pass up crysis
    withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By withateethuh

I'm pretty sure this is going to be better on PC.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By Hamz

Any word on if/when a PS3 demo will be out? Seems really dumb to make the demo exclusive to a single platform. But I guess it is Crytek after all...

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NTM

I just played the demo... really dissapointed. I'm starting to wonder if we have to play it on PC to get the right experience. I don't know what people were talking about  with bad controls, works perfectly fine, but when you come to expect the high standards of the CryEngine 2 from the original Crysis, this just doesn't cut it. It's not that far off from something like F.E.A.R. 2 (or unfortunately, the beta).
    withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By withateethuh

Well I can't even enter a game without it freezing.

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SpecTackle

Looks great, seems much improved over 1. It's just not something I'd ever want to play on console. I did really appreciate the auto mute all feature right in the lobby. Good lookin' out, Crytek.

Th3dz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Th3dz

Crashed on me twice on the loading screen, I won't give it a third chance...

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#37  Edited By dbz1995
    @Hamz said:
    " Any word on if/when a PS3 demo will be out? Seems really dumb to make the demo exclusive to a single platform. But I guess it is Crytek after all... "
    I've heard it is tomorrow.
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Erik
    @Th3dz:  Same problem here, like four times in a row...
    Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle
    @Th3dz said:
    " Crashed on me twice on the loading screen, I won't give it a third chance... "
    Yep. Just had the same thing happen to be me twice. 
    JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JerichoBlyth

It's bollocks.

The game is broken right now and although I know this can be fixed - releasing a demo like this isn't very wise. I fell through the scenary, there was unbeliavable lag in some of the best ping rated rooms, there were sound glitches and of course...pop up....in a Crysis game...POP UP!? On a tiny rooftop map.

...oh, another issue - the multiplayer map on the demo is shite.

On another note - Bulletstorm is bollocks too.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jack268

So after playing some more, I realise I may have been a bit overboard with my first reaction. I think the game does have some balance issues though.  

The air stomp thing is worthless, it stuns for like 4 seconds and flips your camera the fuck out. Even if you hit someone with it, they will have the advantage and will be able to kill you before you get out of the stun.  

You should be able to aim down the sights when sliding, because as it stands currently, you're not gonna kill anyone fairly with it. Either you'll get a random headshot out of your crazy spray, or you'll stop in crouch and pick up your aim and hit someone then. 

Stealth is a bit both underpowered I'd say. If someone is looking in your direction with their aim up, they'll see you and easily score a headshot. The stealth is weak, and has a short duration. It's a good way to make it not overpowered though, so I don't necessarily think it needs to be tweaked. It's just something that annoyed me in game.  

The "parkour" aspect is incredible. It feels perfect when you climb around on shit and there really are many ways to reach around the map. I miss the dedicated speed mode, but I guess they'd have a hard time mapping that on the controller. 

It's a shame that there is a lot of lag, you often see the notification for killing someone pop up seconds before their body drops, and the assassination melee attack is REALLY hard to land .

tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By tomance

I wonder how different the game will play in the single player mode vs the multiplayer.  I kind of enjoyed the demo so far.  I'll definitely play more once I'm home from work.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#43  Edited By Azteck

I had a lot of fun with it, but the lag really kills it. If I can shoot 5 shotgun shells in their head, and they can down me with 5 shots with the Assault Rifle to the stomach, something's really wrong.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#44  Edited By wrecks

Having no lag problems and loving it so far.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jimbo

So how are the graphics?  Best on 360?  Best on anything?  Disappointing?

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets
    @Jimbo said:
    " So how are the graphics?  Best on 360?  Best on anything?  Disappointing? "
    To be honest I found the graphics really bad. The textures on guns are great and some nice lighting help mask it but man... the pop in is abysmal, the textures in the environment randomly pop up all the time, and I could swear I didn't see any shadows whatsoever.

It IS a beta however, so hopefully they'll fix it. Thats also the issues only regarding graphics, though. There's tons of other problems. Kind of dissapointed from the beta overall, really want them to put some effort in and soak up negative feedback->fix the damn thing.
    laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By laserbolts

Haven't played it yet but the killstreak thing is pretty dumb.  At least mix it up a bit but the exact same as modern warfare is pretty sad.  I think it shows a lack of confidence in your product when you blatantly copy what your competition did over 3 years ago.  With some exceptions of course.  I'll most likely just buy it for the campaign anyways so I guess it isn't that big of a deal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.