Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crysis 2

Game » consists of 37 releases. Released Mar 22, 2011

Set three years after the original Crysis, an ambushed Marine named Alcatraz dons the famous Nanosuit and fights his way through an obliterated New York City to stop the alien invasion.

EA pulls Crysis 2 from Steam, makes it Origin Exclusive

• 152 results
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#101  Edited By PhatSeeJay

@Geno said:

I do find it interesting however that they removed it from only Steam. It seems like they aren't only wanting to establish their own DD service, but also to declare war on the largest distributor. May the battles begin.

I don't see it as that, as much as they're attempting to entice people to redeem the serial key to Origin and try the features there. Because as far as I've gathered, you'll be able to join friends from Origin and so on. Much like on Steam, but I don't recall you've been able to do that from any EA branded games on Steam? I mean they've only pulled Crysis 2, while they just put up a bunch of Sims 3 games and expansions on Steam. I think they're just trying to push a multiplayer game into Origin to stress test the friends functionality, or something. Or it's Crysis 2 because it was built with Origin functionality into it. Guess we'll have to find that out when that happens.

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#102  Edited By Shabs

From EA's Terms of Service from their Origin page:

"The products and services that we make available on the Websites may be downloaded or accessed for at least one year after you have completed your purchase."

So they can (and probably will given their track record) cut you off from your purchases after one year.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By Azteck
    @Geno said:
    I can see it working out for them in the long run. Mass Effect 3, BF3, Mirror's Edge 2 -- are these games you're thinking about missing just for some brand loyalty? Probably not. If EA continues to make good games, I'll have no problem buying from them. It takes all of 10 seconds to log into a different client, and EADM/Origin actually works reasonably well.   I do find it interesting however that they removed it from only Steam. It seems like they aren't only wanting to establish their own DD service, but also to declare war on the largest distributor. May the battles begin. 
    Wasn't Mirror's Edge 2 put on hold indefinitely?
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#104  Edited By demonbear

People are really anal when it comes to download clients. Steam is great but I also have comrade, impulse and now origin. Big deal. 

As long as you can take your serial key and reactivate those games on Origin, I really don't see the problem. Calm down kids. Sheesh.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#105  Edited By KaosAngel

@Shuborno said:

"The products and services that we make available on the Websites may be downloaded or accessed for at least one year after you have completed your purchase."

So they can (and probably will given their track record) cut you off from your purchases after one year.

Fuck that shit. Most my Steam games I don't play for the first time until after one year.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#106  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@demonbear said:

People are really anal when it comes to download clients. Steam is great but I also have comrade, impulse and now origin. Big deal. As long as you can take your serial key and reactivate those games on Origin, I really don't see the problem. Calm down kids. Sheesh.

Couldn't reactivate my Crysis. I am calm. Just disappointed. I'm also not a kid.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#107  Edited By valrog
    @Shuborno said:

That's just great. Like there weren't enough things hurting the consumer. NOOOOO, competition is goooddddd!!! Can't wait till everyone starts renting out games like that, just so those idiots would shut up.
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By demonbear
    @SeriouslyNow said:

@demonbear said:

People are really anal when it comes to download clients. Steam is great but I also have comrade, impulse and now origin. Big deal. As long as you can take your serial key and reactivate those games on Origin, I really don't see the problem. Calm down kids. Sheesh.

Couldn't reactivate my Crysis. I am calm. Just disappointed. I'm also not a kid.

Crysis 1 or 2? If its one, sure, who gives a damn, but Crysis 2, that's not fair and you totally should be able to activate the game there and therefore, have the right to whine and be anal.
    FacestabMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By FacestabMan

I bought BC2 about 1 year ago.

I used my cd-key on EADM, and it went smooth as butter. Or so I thought. 

3-4 months ago I wanted to download the game again from there. It's gone, it disappeared. All I have is my copy of BF2 complete collection.

I wanted to play BF3 but this is not gonna make me spend money on it, that's for sure.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By PhatSeeJay

@demonbear said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@demonbear said:

Crysis 1 or 2? If its one, sure, who gives a damn, but Crysis 2, that's not fair and you totally should be able to activate the game there and therefore, have the right to whine and be anal.

That's strange you couldn't. Because I activated my Medal of Honor and Bad Company 2 keys into Origin, that I got from Steam, so it should work.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@demonbear said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@demonbear said:

Crysis 1 and I give a damn. I paid for the game, I should be able to activate it there. If EA wants me to have a central repository for EA games then it should work for all EA games. The game isn't ages old, it was purchased last year brand new. I'm not whining or being anal.

@PhatSeeJay said:

@demonbear said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@demonbear said:

That's strange you couldn't. Because I activated my Medal of Honor and Bad Company 2 keys into Origin, that I got from Steam, so it should work.

I activated BC2 and NF:HP but Crysis was a no go.

quemador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By quemador
    @Unchained: no no that will never happen, you understand it will never happen. 
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By PhatSeeJay

@SeriouslyNow: Is it a retail copy or Digital purchase? Because I've had the same problem with my retail copies, where only Sims 3 has been the only retail game I've been able to redeem into Origin so far.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#114  Edited By Geno
    @Azteck said:
    Yes, but they're working on it. Just last week it was rumored that it would be running on Frostbite 2. 
    Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Shabs

@KaosAngel said:

@Shuborno said:

Fuck that shit. Most my Steam games I don't play for the first time until after one year.

Ditto for me. I buy games on sale and leave them in the backlog for a rainy day. Hell, several EA games fall into that category for me on Steam (Crysis, Battlefield BC2, etc.)

I'm all for competition, but why enter the market to compete with an inferior product? And worse still, why go all in on that wager with Battlefield 3 and The Old Republic? It's lunacy. Those are two PC-focused games they need to do well and they're starting off by pissing off many people who are in that core target fanbase.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@PhatSeeJay said:

@SeriouslyNow: Is it a retail copy or Digital purchase? Because I've had the same problem with my retail copies, where only Sims 3 has been the only retail game I've been able to redeem into Origin so far.

Digital. Purchased on Steam.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By PhatSeeJay

@SeriouslyNow said:

@PhatSeeJay said:

Well then. That's fucked up, and EA tech support should get a piece of your mind.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By demonbear
    @PhatSeeJay said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@PhatSeeJay said:

Well then. That's fucked up, and EA tech support should get a piece of your mind.

Ok I checked my cd keys from steam and tried to activate them on Origin, most of them works, but some don't, here's the list : 

CD keys from steam that worked for me in Origin : 
    Battlefield BC2
    C&C 4 
    Dragon Age Origins
    Dragon Age Awakening
    Mass Effect 2

CD keys from steam that won't work for me in Origin : 
    Crysis 1
    Crysis Warhead
    Mass Effect 1
    Spore

So there you go, weird.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Azteck
    @Geno said:
    @Azteck said:
    Yes, but they're working on it. Just last week it was rumored that it would be running on Frostbite 2. 
    That would make me a very, very happy camper.
    DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By DG991

@Shuborno said:

I like to reformat often, and steam makes it easy for me to backup my games and restore them easily. Or re download them if I must.

Once again, ea gone fucked up. I will buy it on steam ONLY.

astonish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#121  Edited By astonish

Ugh. I hate the fragmentation.

I'm sure its all about control and money but as a user this is annoying. Although the bullet points are all about friends lists and unification that is exactly what they are breaking. Right now I see everyone on steam, but now it will be some people on steam, some people on origin... It's yet another client I have to run, yet another program asking me to install patches every time it starts, etc, etc. yet another sign up for another login I don't really want.

EA have been crap in the past about downloads giving you limited time frames and asking for extra money for the ability to download again... but even if they got their shit straight I'd still be annoyed at the idea of having yet another service... It's one thing to have it in game, which is annoying enough. It's another thing to invade outside the games.

I will avoid this service as long as I can.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Vexxan

I'd rather go downtown and buy a physical copy of the game than visit the bullshit that is Origin.

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#123  Edited By SBYM

Valve won't sell their games on other digital distribution platforms. How fucking dare they.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By valrog
    @SBYM: EA has way more games than Valve.

I hope others won't be doing/trying the same thing (Ubisoft, Take Two, 2k...), because it can't turn out good. People are saying that competition is good for customer, but not that kind of competition.

If you want to have a separate client for every publisher out there, be my guest.
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#125  Edited By Bollard
    @Vorbis said:

If I can't buy BF3 from Steam I will be very disappointed. What happened EA? Just when you started to turn things around, this year it seems like you've started to go back to your old ways.

Edit: Yep BF3 pre-orders got removed too.

@DG991 said:

omg...

You had me ready to buy BF3... but if I can't have it on steam..........

wow I might not buy it now.

Why the desperate need to have on Steam? If its purely just for the reason to say fuck you to Origin there are these things called discs which you can buy from stores. I think I can live without having a client running constantly in the background of the game while I play, so I'll enjoy my physical copy of BF3 very much thank you. Also, they've already confirmed mad community/partying up features in game, so I have no idea why you'd want to crap it up with another service. 

Still doesn't validate Origin's existence, I know, but no need to shun BF3. 

@CL60 said:

Bwhahaha, if you guys seriously wont buy BF3 now simply because you can't get it on Steam then you weren't that interested in the game in the first place honestly.

This, there's a lot of childish people on here right now. 

In fact reading this thread is driving me insane. Writing it off with basically no info? You people are all insane! Apparently Origin doesn't even need to be open to run the game and just add it to Steam as a non-Steam game if it's that bad. Jeeeeeeeeez, people need to get their priorities straight. I'm sure most of these people will end up buying BF3 anyway...
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#126  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Chavtheworld said:
    @Vorbis said:

If I can't buy BF3 from Steam I will be very disappointed. What happened EA? Just when you started to turn things around, this year it seems like you've started to go back to your old ways.

Edit: Yep BF3 pre-orders got removed too.

@DG991 said:

omg...

You had me ready to buy BF3... but if I can't have it on steam..........

wow I might not buy it now.

Why the desperate need to have on Steam? If its purely just for the reason to say fuck you to Origin there are these things called discs which you can buy from stores. I think I can live without having a client running constantly in the background of the game while I play, so I'll enjoy my physical copy of BF3 very much thank you. Also, they've already confirmed mad community/partying up features in game, so I have no idea why you'd want to crap it up with another service. 

Still doesn't validate Origin's existence, I know, but no need to shun BF3. 

@CL60 said:
    Bwhahaha, if you guys seriously wont buy BF3 now simply because you can't get it on Steam then you weren't that interested in the game in the first place honestly.
    This, there's a lot of childish people on here right now.
    I fully agree.. this new lame dependence on Steam like you can't play a PC game without it is fucking ridiculous !
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Bollard
    @Ahmad_Metallic: Haha I know right! You know what EA should do? Make their games only run if you don't have Steam installed. Then people have a right to get angry :P
    DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By DG991

@Chavtheworld: Dude....

Steam is awesome. End of story.

Being on steam means that I can re download it at any time. This new origins thing is gonna be some bullshit I am sure. It is one client... it is fast and easy and reliable.

Also I want the game to be successful and you know what brings in a lot of sales? The millions of users who log onto steam and see friends playing BF3 or see a sale or some kind of pre order bonus (as much as I hate them). That is why I bought BFBC2.

Steam is awesome... origin is not. They have an established platform set up and they are ignoring it because they think they can make more money.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By demonbear
    @DG991: I agree with you man, I love steam, its great. But its not awesome, it BECAME awesome. When that thing launched it was crap and people hated it. And look at you now!

Now why would Valve get this chance and not EA? Just saying, cut them some slack, let them have a shot a this and then judge.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By valrog

EA will blame pirates when Origin doesn't meet their ridiculous expectations. You heard it here first.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Bollard
    @DG991: I do agree, but that doesn't make it a legitimate reason for YOU to not buy BF3. You could still easily let your friends see you're playing it, by buying the disc copy or on Origin, and then adding it to Steam. Origin may be a dumb idea, but don't hate on BF3 - it's not DICE's fault (probably).
    mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#132  Edited By mfpantst
    @valrog: Ha they should blame amazon prime.  That's what I'll be using to buy EA games I want now.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#133  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Chavtheworld@DG991@demonbear:  
    How ironic is it that Steam, the greatest beacon of light in the world of PC gaming - a world that is all about freedom and multiple choices and operating methods - turned the platform's legions of users into single-minded gamers whose only resort is Steam ?

Pretty god darned ironic :D   Whoever tells me that i used the word 'ironic' incorrectly gets a fucking beating!
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Bollard
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    How ironic is it that Steam, the greatest beacon of light in the world of PC gaming - a world that is all about freedom and multiple choices and operating methods - turned the platform's legions of users into single-minded gamers whose only resort is Steam ?
     Pretty god darned ironic :D   Whoever tells me that i used the word 'ironic' incorrectly gets a fucking beating!
    Ahahaha absolutely! 
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By demonbear
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    Wow I can't recall the last time i agreed with you but there it is!! Its a good day!
    mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#136  Edited By mfpantst
    @Ahmad_Metallic: Yo you didn't use ironic correctly.  

PS- I have already used Origin for my wife's games (Sims series) and the EA download manager software Origin used to be called- and I hate it.  It's not good.  So for games I want to play I'll buy retail then.
    DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By DG991

@demonbear: Because Valve has an awesome track record for NOT being evil bastards. And steam has been a great service and started back when digital distribution wasn't a thing... they made it popular. If origins wants my money they need to prove themselves. And I don't trust EA. I am not going to buy into a service just because they are releasing BF3 on it... and because they are releasing BF3 on it I don't think it will be as successful.

@Chavtheworld: No. It is a legitimate reason. Because I only buy games digitally nowadays because dvd's are stupid and take up space. And I don't trust Origins enough to buy it digitally. They are unproven. And I will not waste $60 on a game that I can't re download as many times as I want forever and ever like the Steam service.

@Ahmad_Metallic: Not really that amazing considering most PC gamers have been using only windows to game on. Sure we could use linux and play around with WINE, or use Mac OS.. but most don't because Windows is reliable and easy for gaming on.

We have the choice to use other digital distributions platforms but none of them are as reliable or provide deals as good as steam. Yes we can add games to the steam service to connect with friends, but we can't redownload through steam whenever we want.

Release it on both, one on steam for $60, and one on Origin for $50. That will be at least some incentive to jump into a new platform blindly. But don't just release it on Origin because your losing many thousands of potential customers.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Pibo47

Ughhhhh...EA...origin will suck. Steam is awesome..deal with it.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Nux

EA needs to stop being so full of themselves.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#141  Edited By Tordah

Bleh, what a lame decision.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By MikkaQ

@CL60 said:

Bwhahaha, if you guys seriously wont buy BF3 now simply because you can't get it on Steam then you weren't that interested in the game in the first place honestly.

Dude I built a computer to play BF3, but no steam, no deal. There's always Bad Company 2 anyway.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By PhatSeeJay

@XII_Sniper said:

@CL60 said:

Bwhahaha, if you guys seriously wont buy BF3 now simply because you can't get it on Steam then you weren't that interested in the game in the first place honestly.

Dude I built a computer to play BF3, but no steam, no deal. There's always Bad Company 2 anyway.

Wow... just wow...

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#144  Edited By Cube

That's pretty disappointing. Steam is the standard.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By CL60
    @PhatSeeJay said:

@XII_Sniper said:

@CL60 said:

Wow... just wow...

Yeah...
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#146  Edited By Enigma777

I love how everyone is blaming EA when Valve is the one responsible here... Good ol' fanboism at its finest!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By CL60
    @Enigma777 said:

I love how everyone is blaming EA when Valve is the one responsible here... Good ol' fanboism at its finest!

Yeah, it seems according to Patricks article Valve are the ones who wanted their games off. At least Crysis 2.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By PhatSeeJay

@CL60 said:

@Enigma777 said:

Yeah, it seems according to Patricks article Valve are the ones who wanted their games off. At least Crysis 2.

The twist in that article is pretty surprising. I mean, even I thought EA pulled it to try to promote Origin. But people will still completely ignore it to continue to bash at Origin and EA. Not sure which part is the saddest.

Shady1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Shady1992

EA's going big this year... trying to kill World of Warcraft, Steam, and Call of Duty...  

I guess we'll see if they can beat Blizzard, Valve, and Activision all at once 

Avatar image for sandwich_adjustment
    sandwich_adjustment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the cool thing that unlike Steam - prices on Origin reflect local store prices. so..crysis 2 cost me 499 rubles

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.