Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crysis 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 19, 2013

A mysteriously resurrected Prophet fights his way through the now literal jungles of the fallen New York City, continuing the fight against the malevolent Ceph alien invaders.

The Crysis 3 AI is terrible

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OfficeGamer

Having played and enjoyed Far Cry 3 immensely, I can confirm that the Crysis 3 AI is terrible!

If I uncloak while staring at the back of a guard, he will see me from the back of his head and turn around. If I uncloak while walking behind a wall with a guard on the other side, the fact that I uncloaked makes him go "do you hear that?" What, uncloaking makes my footsteps louder?

If I kill a guard stealthly (not using the stealth animation, but literally stealthy, as in silently and without anyone seeing), they just KNOW that he died because I didn't use the close-up animation.

And when they get alert they start shooting at the walls around them, far in the distance.

Crysis 3 and Assassin's Creed 3 are two triple AAA late 2012/early 2013 titles that should be condemned for using terrible and ancient AI. Hell I played the first Crysis on Xbox a few months back for the first time and was surprised by how well the AI behaved for a 2007 game, what happened to that?

Far Cry 3, it seems, will make it difficult to accept bad AI in shooters from now on.

What did you think of the C3 AI?

I am aware of the usual criticisms of military first person shooters, this thread is about AI

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've seen a couple of videos of people playing through the game and yeah the AI doesn't seem all that hot, and the enemies can see EXTREMELY far, they must have some kind of binocular eyes or something because at times it's ridicules.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jack268

The Crysis 3 is terrible

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Uncloaking does make your footsteps louder, yes. Something to do with the suit's cloaking also muffling sound.

At least it did in the second game.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the Crysis games had always had poor AI.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Fredchuckdave

How can AI be terrible for being "too smart"? Every game doesn't have to have "Huh, whose footprints are these?" In Arkham City on higher difficulties/harder challenges the enemy will randomly have superpowered laser vision of doom; but that doesn't mean the AI itself is bad just they changed the parameters based on the difficulty level.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I thought the Crysis games had always had poor AI.

I've only played the first Crysis. His complaints are the same as mine were about the first Crysis.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems they use the terrible over-dependence on cloaking as an excuse to not improve the non-cloaked stealth gameplay/AI reactions.

Too busy making graphics.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They all have bad AI.

Loading Video...

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Poppduder

It's probably Crysis's fault for dressing like that...

But seriously, each Crysis has been this way. It should seem apparent that Crytek isnt putting their funding towards play-testing new AI or mechanics. Just tessellating...trilinear...buckling at 60frames.

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DaMisterChief

The game was boring, all looks no fun

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Quarters

I didn't notice anything unusual when I was playing it. Crysis has always been about screwing with not so bright soldiers.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By pr1mus

Them just knowing when someone dies sounds like business as usual for the series.

The first game had pretty terrible AI too. You would have a guy manning a turret on a boat a mile away from you while you are clocked and hidden in some dense foliage on top of a cliff and the second you uncloak he knows exactly where you are and starts shooting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.