Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crysis

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 13, 2007

As Nomad, an elite soldier outfitted in a state-of-the-art Nanosuit that gives him superhuman abilities, infiltrate a North Korean-held island to rescue captured scientists... and face a reawakening ancient evil that threatens the entire world. Crysis is well known for its high system requirements and top of the line graphics.

The Crysis Appreciation Thread

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

No Caption Provided
    It's been four years since this masterpiece came out. I've beaten it three times (once a year), i just installed it for the 2011 playthrough, and just finished watching a 16-minute high-res "The Making Of" video, and I thought it's about time people realize how great this game is. It's about time fans could find a place to rejoice together! 
    So if you're a fan of this amazing title, share your thoughts with us. Or just sign your name! 

I remember back in 2007 when i had just bought my new gaming rig (It wasn't top of the line, but it was up there). I heard about this massive new game called Crysis that made the greatest PCs stutter and hiccup, and was 12 GB big (which was something back then. But i think it was wrong.. it's 6 GB big i think)
    I went online to read about it, and found a lot of people who haven't tried it, or who have played the first couple of levels, criticize the game and claim it was a boring tech demo. 
    So i believed them for some reason, but then after a couple of months I had the cash to buy it, so I did. 
    I almost gave myself a beating that night, for listening to some random internet residents and passing on that game. I was amazed and stunned, dazzled and blown away by this beastly game.  

Sure, the visuals were fucking mindblowing, something i've never seen before in my life, but i'm not even gonna discuss the graphics because A) My PC still can't run it on high (something i shall do when i upgrade this August) so i haven't seen the magic first hand, and B) Because people are usually put off by too much praising of visuals, because they're not everything in a game, something i completely agree with. 

No Caption Provided

So i'm gonna ignore the graphics completely, knowing that i have much more else to praise : 

The Setting/Scenery/Environment:  

The first thing that captured me when i booted up Crysis for the first time was the unique and completely immersing setting Crytek chose for their game. I had been playing games like Call of Duty 4 / Gears of War / Hitman: Blood Money / MOH: Airborne /  NFS Carbon / Frontlines: Fuel of War / Kane& Lynch: Dead Men / Timeshift back then, and with all those shooters/action games that felt similar one way or another, Crysis was the knight on a white steed that blew everything else out of the water with its breathtaking tropical scenery, with great looking water, jungle, mountains and fields.. It truly was something else. 
    Even today, in 2011, if i had to pick one game where the environment really immersed me and made me feel like i'm standing there, Crysis is the only answer. 

Shooter&Open-World Fusion:

The first time i played Crysis, i was very confused. Do i roam about and explore? But i have a gun sticking out of the screen, so i must be going somewhere to shoot someone.. What do I do? 
    And what comes after the confusion? You either get it, or don't. A lot of people didn't, and mistook the game for a boring nothing-to-do waste of time, something that saddens me deeply .. Fortunately i kept at it and i kept trying to understand how the game was designed, and boy did it blow my mind when i realized how brilliant it is! 
    Crysis is an outstanding shooter/openworld hybrid where the world around you feels infinite, you can walk for miles and discover locations and interact with objects in the world, yet at the same time when it was time for business, the game seamlessly converted into an intense FPS where you had big actiony shootouts, embellished with all the cool stuff you can do using your nano suit, and the environment around you. 

Gameplay Innovation: 

I won't say much here, because you simply have to experience the game yourself in order to feel all the little unique aspects that blend together to create a truly innovative experience.  You have your nano suit with its many powers, something Crytek prioritized because the game was all about you controlling the suit and using it to survive and accomplish missions, and not you being a powerful soldier. 
    In addition to many other innovations that i won't go into their details.

Mission Diversity & Design: 

The lead designer of Crysis took the "I come, I see, I conquer" concept that all video games revolve around, and amplified it.  
    The game truly allows you to come to a new unique location, to camp and see (observe the area, mark some key locations/persons), and then literally conquer the entire base, using whichever method you prefer. You wanna go assault? you can raze the entire place to the ground. You wanna go stealth? engage your cloak and turn this shooter into a full-blown stealth game.  
    Then when you're done with the place, you move on and never look back, looking for the next unique location to go to, see and conquer.  
    In addition to that, there was the diversity in the mission system itself. There's almost anything you can think of, from going to investigate a location, to blowing up/sabotaging equipment, to saving hostages and retrieving data. 
    Not to mention all the vehicular-warfare segments. There's an entire level dedicated to a TANK BATTLE.

Controls: 

This is another point that can't be fully described. The best way for you to see how tight the controls are in this game, is for you to try it yourself.  
    Being a PC exclusive, this game controls better than any other shooter in the market today. Several KB keys assigned to the many gadgets the player can use, in addition to the movement controls being very fluid to match the speed and power of the nanosuit. 

Seamless, Strategical and Multi-Path Combat: 

After the first few shootouts, i got the hang of the game and was ready to try out multiple approaches mashed in one shootout. I remember walking along a road inside the jungle and coming across a patrol of tangos walking beside a big army truck. I think i used C4 or an AT mine, or maybe a grenade, to blow up the truck from afar, which went up in flames in one of the best looking explosions i had ever seen at that point. 
    After blowing it up and alarming the 10-man patrol, i quickly engaged speed mode and ran across the road, shooting 2 men dead and injuring a third. I hid between the bushes on the little hill across the road and engaged cloak mode, waiting for them to come after me.  they did ofcourse appraoch me, so i moved back slowly and went after the last guy in the bunch. I quickly grabbed him by the neck and threw him off the little cliff/hill there, and i proceeded to shoot two other guys in the balls. 

Then i ran away and camped 20 meters away from the patrol. When they realized i wasn't around, they spread out across the area looking for me. I put on my silencer and started taking them out one after the other, then i shot one of the last guys with a tranquilizer dart and waited for his two remaining buddies to come inspect him, only to throw a grenade their way and blow up the three of them in one hit. 

Shifting between stealth and assault is one of the most memorable aspects of Crysis, because if you had the patience and the strategical thinking to pull it off, you could come up with amazing and extremely satisfying results, where EVERY confrontation plays out differently.

Enemy/Terrain Diversity:

Last but not least, the sheer amount of different unique terrains. At first you have your beach and tropical jungle, moving on to big forests with rivers and waterfalls, some swamps and agriculture fields, then in the second half of the game you move on to rocky mountain areas, underground caves, snow mountains and the last mission which takes place aboard a big carrier a few kilometers into the sea. 

No Caption Provided

I'm not exaggerating when i tell you that Crysis is the definition of a game that is ahead of its time in so many ways. Technically and visually, it still is thee most stupendous powerhouse around, and when it comes to the gameplay itself, and all the other stuff i listed above, it executed everything so well and created an entire never-seen-before world of shooter freedom that is all about explosive fun.

It's a shame that when something is too great for us to keep up with, we simply call it shitty for being too excellent.  

If you appreciate Crysis enough, post here and express it! 

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2  Edited By Marz

I appreciate Crysis for being my favorite benchmark tool when i build and tweak my computers over the past few years.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Dear crysis 1 on very high settings (not configs because those looks like shit and ruins the photo realism) You complete me. I spent years comparing you to every single other console game and I won every single comparison. You let me know how far graphics can go, that not everything has to be semi realistic cartoons with low polygons and shader effects. Rather things can look real without smoke and mirror (well crysis 2 is smoke and mirrors, until the DX11 patch is out) You were my favorite game of all time, I finished you over 60 times, even though that's probally not healthy to play a game that much, just to take your screenshots. You make every other game look a generation behind. You make cg films looks like a cartoony piece of shit. You say to real life, oh yeah, I can I can do better. You make metro 2033 look like a cheap pastel painting with too many effects and no realism. You make crysis 2 look like a total downgraded mess which will not dazzle pc gamers like this game would.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By laserbolts

I know little to nothing about computers and was wondering how much cash would I need to buy a rig able to run this on highest settings?

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By chilibean_3

Bought a few months back when it was on sale and I just rebuilt my PC. It sure was pretty. Played it for a few hours. Seemed neat but I just haven't gone back to it yet.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @chilibean_3 said:

Bought a few months back when it was on sale and I just rebuilt my PC. It sure was pretty. Played it for a few hours. Seemed neat but I just haven't gone back to it yet.

The only thing i hate about Crysis is the poor opening levels which bore people out and give them the wrong impression.. 
    I myself stopped 1-2 hours into the game the first time i played it, because i felt it was boring and pointless. It picks up immensely after the first/second level, believe me, keep going! 

@HitmanAgent47 said:
    Dear crysis 1 on very high settings (not configs because those looks like shit and ruins the photo realism) You complete me. 
    That was beautiful ! 
    Since you're so crazy about the graphics, i'll make sure to tease you with my screenshots when i upgrade to sandy bridge & 580 GTX this August :P
    eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By eclipsesis

There is no way that my NES is going to handle this game. does anyone just think that they can't wait until cpomputing power is so good that this game will be just bitched about by a £299 pc world desktop, what a vision to look forward to
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Wow i guess this game ruined its reputation by being a graphical powerhouse... no one cares about it because no one can reach it 

what a tragedy >_>

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By mikemcn

As soon as I get my BF3 card, i'll buy crysis.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By phish09

Can I appreciate Crysis 2 in here or is that just gonna get me flamed?  So far that is definitely the best shooter to come out this year, despite the crappy multiplayer, and by years end I think it will still be the best FPS of 2011.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Cloudenvy

I really liked Crysis until the aliens, heh!

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jack268

I appreciate Crysis 1 because it's so open and there are infinite ways to approach every situation in the game. It's probably the most open ended FPS to have come out in the last decade. It's also one of my favorite games to watch others play, because you always see them do something new or approach a situation in a different way than you did. The fact that it got so many negative reviews and was pirated as a benchmark tool so much so that the second game became the terrible mess it is today is really sad, because Crysis 1 is probably the best single player shooter I have ever played and Crysis 2 doesn't even compare. 

Also, if you think Crysis is just a benchmark tool, please watch Nanosuitninja. He really showed me just how beautiful the gameplay in Crysis can be.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NTM

Ugh, why did they have to change the characters in the second Crysis? I liked Nomad, Psycho, and Helena.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I'm going to play this game right now and edit in more screenshots for you ppl for this post. I'll try to get some more humans into the screenshots. I'm just at like the zero gravity level, right at the end, then the snow level, then some grass level, then it's the final level which will have so many ppl, you can see how realistic the character models looks.

Also ignore those with grey names, they don't know what they are talking about because the game doesn't have semi realistic art, they can't wrap their minds around it. They can with crysis 2 though because it's downgraded and more enhanced, only L.A noire this gen on consoles demonstrated realism, nothing else, so it's new to them. This game is 90% on gamerankings and it earned it from the gameplay and graphics. The levels are too big, the scale is way too big, the game isn't a linear corridor shooter therefore console gamers will not understand unless it's downgraded like crysis 2. It's ahead of it's time and ppl tries to say it's all graphics and no gameplay, a total misconception. 

They call me prophet, remember me.
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MeierTheRed

I played it on highest settings, and to be honest beyond graphics. There is not much i like about this game. Story is pardon me saying it, shit. Shooting isn't very fun, and vehicles handle like a turd on wheels. 

Had fun for a couple hours, and then i just forced my self through the rest. Sadly made the mistake and got Warhead also, which was more of the same, which also led to yet another forced completion.  

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I have some miscellaneous screenshots left over. Maybe I should like post these? I know these aren't the best, but it's better than it going to waste. I appreciate the graphics and just want to remind ppl what the game looks like.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jackel2072

I waited 4 long years to play Crysis. just last week i built my new machine and the FIRST thing i did was buy Crysis. i just finished the game about an hour ago... it was well worth the wait. i really wish someone could have taken a photo of me while i was playing the zero g sequence because im pretty sure my mouth was open the entire time in awe. in my humble opinion Crytek wasn't just ahead of the curb in terms of graphics. they were also a head in terms of gameplay. Crysis is extremely versatile. so i just use the pre set settings for vary high could someone point me in the direction of a good custom config setting? i just googled it and there is alot out there.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Binman88
    @Jackel2072: Yeah I don't see what some folks' issue is with the gameplay. The shooting is good, the different suit powers allow you to tackle situations more than one way, and the actual game and world they designed is as interesting as any other shooter out there, if not more so. Well realised and fairly unique "aliens", and, despite the game taking place in one area, there's a decent amount of environment variety.  Some people just don't like it, and that's cool, but I wonder if the ones that go out of their way to criticise the game have indeed played it, or just have a chip on their shoulder.
    sionweeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sionweeks
    @HitmanAgent47 said: 
    I'm going to play this game right now and edit in more screenshots for you ppl for this post. I'll try to get some more humans into the screenshots. I'm just at like the zero gravity level, right at the end, then the snow level, then some grass level, then it's the final level which will have so many ppl, you can see how realistic the character models looks. 

Also ignore those with grey names, they don't know what they are talking about because the game doesn't have semi realistic art, they can't wrap their minds around it. They can with crysis 2 though because it's downgraded and more enhanced, only L.A noire this gen on consoles demonstrated realism, nothing else, so it's new to them. This game is 90% on gamerankings and it earned it from the gameplay and graphics. The levels are too big, the scale is way too big, the game isn't a linear corridor shooter therefore console gamers will not understand unless it's downgraded like crysis 2. It's ahead of it's time and ppl tries to say it's all graphics and no gameplay, a total misconception.   

I understand that it's a great game, but don't pretend you're better than everyone else because you 'understand' Crysis. I really hope there's some sarcasm in there. 

Don't be a dick.
    borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By borodin

@Ahmad_Metallic: Have you seen the shark? :D

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Bollard
    @HitmanAgent47: Just out of curiosity, have you got any tips on taking crisper screenshots? I run the game on Very High at 1080p, but for some reason the screenshots come out way less clear than the image I see in game. Compared to it in action, the screenshots I have look like turd. 

Also, I think I need to reinstall my Crysis >.> Tried out some mod and now after removing it, when I sprint/walk the butt of the gun waves in front of my eyes. Pretty much unplayable. Also the aiming is seriously messed up.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @sionweeks@Chavtheworld:  hitman was banned a while ago 

@borodin said:

@Ahmad_Metallic: Have you seen the shark? :D

the first time i saw it i think i pissed myself a little 
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cloudenvy

Crysis was alright, I guess. ; )

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bollard
    @Ahmad_Metallic: Thanks for the heads up! Also I fixed the gun waving in front of me issue, thankfully. For some reason the movement bob setting was on about 15, when the slider only goes up to like 3 in comparison haha.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Spoonman671

I like Crysis quite a bit, but I think the suit powers could have been better integrated into the controls.  The way they work in Crysis 2 makes a lot more sense and is less cumbersome.

Also, pretending that the reason some people don't like Crysis is because it was too good for them is fucking retarded.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RsistncE

The game was great looking and all, and Crysis does a great job of setting up little "scenarios" and pretty much saying "deal with this situation as you see fit"; however, it's the overall feel of the game, like the atmosphere etc...it just isn't there I guess. I'm a big atmosphere kinda gamer, like for a game to really hit a home run with me it has to suck me right into the world. Overall it's a great game, and an exceptional example of game tech, but it doesn't quite hit GotY highs for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@HitmanAgent47: @Ahmad_Metallic: Crysis is starting to look, and feel, its age. The first few hours are really great, then it devolves into mindless sci-fi fare.

Surprised you can't run it on high, Ahmed. Doesn't take a beast rig these days and I thought you were all about PC gaming.
    TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TotalEklypse
    @Binman88 said:
    @Jackel2072: Yeah I don't see what some folks' issue is with the gameplay. The shooting is good, the different suit powers allow you to tackle situations more than one way, and the actual game and world they designed is as interesting as any other shooter out there, if not more so. Well realised and fairly unique "aliens", and, despite the game taking place in one area, there's a decent amount of environment variety.  Some people just don't like it, and that's cool, but I wonder if the ones that go out of their way to criticise the game have indeed played it, or just have a chip on their shoulder.
    Most of them just have a chip.  

Th common denominator with most of them I have talked to weren't even able to run it very well or never finished it. I like to quiz people about things I enjoy, when they stand there and bash it. What I found after talking to many of those people, was that when asked what kind of pc they were running would normally respond, "O I got a 1000$ HP or a Compaq that is 2 years old". 

I'm sorry if you are sporting an HP or some silly shit like that, and expect to get the most out of a game like this, then you deserve a punch in the forehead. I'd have to say the game starts out a little slow for the first few hours, but when it picks up, it goes batshit crazy. Most people will be quick to hate on something without giving real reason for it other than the half baked, uninformed, cynical way which is the world nowadays. It makes you respect someone who can actually give reason for why they don't enjoy something though. Sadly those people are few and far between. 

Crysis may not be my favorite game in the world, but it was really enjoyable and had more variety than most games I have seen in general as of late. Both of the first 2 games left me speechless in some parts, because of what I was seeing.  

All that being said, it wouldn't be fair if I didn't properly address the sequel. Really this is what happens when you focus on optimizing for consoles. Spread a game too thin trying to pander to the masses. I never really drank the koolaid with the belief that they could reach a level of graphics even comparable to what the first one looked like, when it was announced to be multiplat. What did take me off guard was how linear the game was. They destroyed one of the strongest parts of the original to make it another mainstream hallway shooter. They attempted to save face on that part of the experience by giving maybe 2 choices to approach SOME battles. It was a perfect time to show that consoles are still just nipping at the ankles of a PC's capabilities.  

I'm not a console hater to be fair, as I have had some very good times on both the ps3 and xbox.. and enjoyed the focused communities that the machines try and create. However, in the end, they just feel like toys to me. I am a firm believer that if a game is going to be made for pc, then it should just be made for it. Port it later to consoles if you can, but don't try and develop them at the same time, or it will just screw with everything. Leaving an empty, shallow husk of what should have been. I remain optimistic about a certain game that many of the pc devotees have been begging for, for years now. It remains to be seen how much was forfeited, due to having spent time working on console versions at the same time. We'll see soon I guess.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Spoonman671 said:

Also, pretending that the reason some people don't like Crysis is because it was too good for them is fucking retarded.

Haha, really? whatever you say. it's one of the known video game community facts that when a game is too good or far out of reach for someone, there's a high chance that they'd form some sort of hate or dislike or uninterest towards the game.. same kind of fact as when you buy a game full price, you become a little tolerant of its flaws and shortcomings so you don't feel bad about your purchase 

@GetEveryone said:

Surprised you can't run it on high, Ahmed. Doesn't take a beast rig these days and I thought you were all about PC gaming.

I am, but my PC is reaching the end of its cycle and my next upgrade (sandy bridge and 580 GTX) is happening this october  
    Also, why does everyone misspell my name? you've seen this name over 13k times on these forums, yet it gets misspelled all the time :P
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By SSully

I played crysis when it first came out with a mixture of Medium/High settings because my rig at the time couldn't handle it, like many others. So I obviously was there for the gameplay. I was one of the people that followed Crysis from when it was first announced. I think it was in PC Gamer magazine they had a huge story on it before the game was nothing but concept art and they were talking about all their plans for the game. They said how beautiful the game would look, how smart and dynamic the AI would be. They gave examples about how the AI would track you in the jungle by following bent grass and twigs. They gave examples about how if you blew up a tree with C4 to block a road they would react accordingly. Cervat claimed that the would be very open to exploration and although they had a specfic time to reveal the aliens, if you explored you would be able to find renegade aliens, even hunters, in the jungle.

While a lot of that hype didn't come true in the game I still enjoyed it. Enemies didn't track me from the bent grass I left behind, but they were still pretty damn smart. I explored every inch of jungle that I was allowed and never found random aliens, but that didn't leave me dissapointed. The game offered you a playground with smart enemies, destructible enviroments, and they gave you plenty of toys to get the most fun out of those playgrounds as you could. I loved scoping out camps from a tall hill. Seeing the perfect entrance, and points of interest and knowing exactly what I was going to do before I did it. It was a blast, but it didn't last throughout the whole game. There were plenty of questionable areas in the game. The VTOL section for example for a complete fucking joke. I personally loved the zero gravity area, but the aliens were so damn uncreaive and boring compared to the humans once you stepped outside the ship. They took out all the best parts I loved and made it a corridor shooter, except you were outside, being limited by blocks of ice.

Crysis was a great game, but it was far from a masterpiece. It will always be better then Crysis 2, which was a let down from the first five minutes. I feel crytek is capable of making an amazing game from start to finish, but they seem to always fuck it up some how.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
    I am, but my PC is reaching the end of its cycle and my next upgrade (sandy bridge and 580 GTX) is happening this october  
    Also, why does everyone misspell my name? you've seen this name over 13k times on these forums, yet it gets misspelled all the time :P
    Okay, that was genuinely rude of me. Apologies :)

Your rig sounds like it's going to be a total beast. After I save some money I might rethink my current set-up.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @TotalEklypse said:
    What did take me off guard was how linear the game was. They destroyed one of the strongest parts of the original to make it another mainstream hallway shooter.
    right fucking there with you man :(
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By warxsnake

It was a great game. My 8800GTX kept up with it surprisingly well (quad core cpu supporting it).

m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By m0rdr3d
    @warxsnake said:

It was a great game. My 8800GTX kept up with it surprisingly well (quad core cpu supporting it).

Are you running it on high?  I recently picked up a GTX 570 and thought, "Hey. Crysis.", but the Youtube video someone linked had the fellow running THREE 570's to handle the game!!!
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SlasherMan

Enjoyed it quite a bit here, as well. Used a custom config and ran it on my 8800GT, it looked great and ran great, and it was a very enjoyable game.
    I even liked the alien parts which everyone else seemed to hate for some reason I can't fathom!

I was bummed out about the direction they took with Crysis 2, especially since I was really interested in the story of the original. Oh well...

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Azteck
    @m0rdr3d said:
    @warxsnake said:

Are you running it on high?  I recently picked up a GTX 570 and thought, "Hey. Crysis.", but the Youtube video someone linked had the fellow running THREE 570's to handle the game!!!
    Well I've run it on max with a single 570 with no problems at all so I wouldn't believe them
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By warxsnake

@m0rdr3d said:

@warxsnake said:

Are you running it on high? I recently picked up a GTX 570 and thought, "Hey. Crysis.", but the Youtube video someone linked had the fellow running THREE 570's to handle the game!!!

The 8800GTX was my card two generations back (->260GTX216->GTX670). I remember running it fine with an enthusiast/High mix of settings.

Didn't try Crysis on my 570 though, that'd be a cool experiment. I'd like to see what it looks like with nVidia 3D as well.

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Torrim

I ended up liking Crysis 2 more than most fans of the original did. I like them both actually, but for almost entirely different reasons. There's room in the world for both!

Crysis was a game that had me scrounging around upgrading my computer, and provided a visual punch that I haven't seen since, sadly. I spent hours dicking around playing with physics and destroying things, but never cared for the ending sequences of the game. The sequel was more linear, but it felt like a better paced game and a much tighter single player experience. It didn't have the expansive environments, but I still felt they translated the core elements of the original to the sequel fairly well.

I've never cared for DX10, mainly because the games are never as stable and the hits I take in framerate are astronomical for what's often a negligible difference. Both games look great on DX9 and I don't think we'll see that level of care and optimization for DX10 or 11 until the next generation of consoles hit, sadly :/

My last bit is that I can safely assume that Crytek is going back to their roots with whatever they do next.

m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By m0rdr3d
    @Azteck
       @warxsnake: 

That's good to know.  I'll put it on my Steam wishlist.
    fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By fripplebubby

When I tried to play Crysis, I gave up after a couple of hours. This thread has made me want to reinstall. Thanks, thread. 

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Bollard
    @TotalEklypse said:

I'd have to say the game starts out a little slow for the first few hours, but when it picks up, it goes batshit crazy. 

In my opinion, the first half of the game was significantly better than the latter (apart from the under-deck sections on the Aircraft carrier were pretty dope.)  

Jungle > Snow.  

Also, I had another go at taking screenshots, and tried some super hi-res stuff, here are the results from what is probably my favourite mission in the game (The way it starts, in the dark, with artillery fire raining down and jets screaming past and exploding around you is epic, and then the sun rises and the game looks FANTASTIC!) : 

This is currently 3840x2160px - I need to resize it to 1080p, but don't have any decent editing software that won't lose the quality - so don't try to view it full size! 
    This is currently 3840x2160px - I need to resize it to 1080p, but don't have any decent editing software that won't lose the quality - so don't try to view it full size! 

Another one. 
    Another one. 
    If you want to see the above screenshots in far better quality, go on my profile and go to my images, then click them for full size. They're about 4mb but they look so much better :D
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Torrim said:

I ended up liking Crysis 2 more than most fans of the original did. I like them both actually, but for almost entirely different reasons. There's room in the world for both!

not when one is the sequel to the other. it makes the original game perish 
    TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TotalEklypse
    @Ahmad_Metallic said: 
    @TotalEklypse said: 
    What did take me off guard was how linear the game was. They destroyed one of the strongest parts of the original to make it another mainstream hallway shooter.
    right fucking there with you man :(
    It at least had one thing going for it. No more random asshole helicopters showing up and seeing you regardless of invis suit or being totally hidden in bushes while under tree canopies. 

@Chavtheworld: No the beginning was fine. I just think the tutorial type section made it seem like a slow start. I shouldn't have said first FEW hours. More like the first hour or so. But I really enjoyed the massive alien battles involving tanks and all the crazy cross fire shit going on the most. 
    beeftothetaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By beeftothetaco

I just built a top of the line PC when this came out. I could only run it with most settings on low and some on medium. I was choked :(

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Torrim

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@Torrim said:

not when one is the sequel to the other. it makes the original game perish

I like both of them mostly the same, for wildly different reasons.

Like Alien and Aliens. Terror and claustrophobia in one and balls out action and special effects in the other.

zameer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46  Edited By zameer

Totally glad HitmanAgent47 posted in this thread; he's the PC gamers' spokesperson

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.