Cthulhu, an evil deity who has arisen from a slumber with intent to take over the world was suddenly turned into a mere mortal by a mysterious wizard. In order to regain his powers, he has to become a hero and help the world he was once set upon destroying.
The game format is similar to 16-bit era RPGs such as Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star but with some new additions. You have choices of what abilities you get when you level up. Enemies get stronger by 10% for every turn that they live through. Cthulhu as well as others in the party can gain abilities which will add an insanity effect on enemies that makes them take more damage, some enemies while insane will do more damage during this effect. Also you attacks will build up a combo meter which will magnify certain spells/attacks which will drain the combo meter while boosting the spells/attacks. Your party regains all health points back after a battle along with a portion of their magic points. The faster you finish a battle, the more magic points you regain. Loot is available in red treasure chests that contain potions & items, weapons or armor for the characters to equip while the battles will tend to just give out XP & gold.
Humor is a big focus in the game as well, by the dialogue as well as the parody nature of the game. Do you dare to take on quests while battling the crab monsters, cute zombies (dogs, cheerleaders, cops & more), pathetic heroes, necromancers, multiple menacing minions from beyond the stars & many other things as the fiendish hero Cthulhu?
There are 7 playable characters:
- Sharpe - a flying sword.
- Ember - a dark dragon.
- Cthulhu - the dark lord & hero.
- Dacre - an old man.
- Paws - an alien cat.
- October - a necromancer.
- Umi - a priest/mage in love with Cthulhu.
The game sells for 240 Microsoft points ($3) on the Xbox Live Indie Marketplace or for $2.99 in a bundle with Breath of Death VII on Steam.
Robert Boyd announced that there would be an Enhanced version for the PC and Xbox 360 that will add the features that had to be originally cut. He set a goal to raise $3000 for adding the version and it was met quickly by fans. Fans have the chance to appear in the game with their donations to the project. The full title of the enhanced edition is Cthulhu Saves the World: Super Hyper Enhanced Championship Edition Alpha Diamond DX Plus Alpha FES HD – Premium Enhanced Game of the Year Collector’s Edition (without Avatars!).
Cthulhu's Angels is a story where Cthulhu is too lazy to save the world and enlists the help of October the necromancer to help him out. October goes on a quest to gather the rest of Cthulhu's hot angels and finally save the world. The gameplay in Cthulhu's Angels is very similar to the original mode, featuring the same style of parody and fighting.
The new party features a whole new set of characters which include:
- October - The main heroine of the story who seeks out to save the world. She now plays the role of the generic spellcaster.
- Elonalina - The generic healer that October saves early in the game. Her name is shortened to Elona after her name doesn't fit in the name box.
- Umi - Umi makes a return in Cthulhu's Angels, only now she uses sword skills while wielding Sharpe
- Molly - Molly is a new character known as a Were-Zompire as a result of dying to werewolf, zombie and vampire at the same time.
PC System Requirements
- OS: Windows XP, Vista, 7
- Processor: 1.6Ghz or higher
- Memory: 1GB
- Hard Disk Space: 200
- Video Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible
- DirectX®: 9.0c compatible
- Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible
- Additional: Current version of Windows Media Player