Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Cuphead

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 29, 2017

A 2D co-op shooter-platformer focused on boss battles. It is known for its unique art style, which imitates the more surreal cartoons of the 1930s.

Cuphead news.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

http://killscreendaily.com/articles/cuphead-roughly-40-done-hey-its-gonna-be-trilogy/

• It’s a game of the classic run and gun style, positioned somewhere between Contra 3 and Gunstar Heroes in terms of the actual design of the levels. Instead of just running right and shooting until you hit the boss, the game is built around just boss battles. The Moldenhauers are obsessed with the minutiae of the genre: animations and exploits and hitboxes.
    • These bosses will be accessible via an old-timey, top-down action-RPG-style world map. Imagine an old Zelda game with a 1930s flair, and Link with a cup for his head. There is talk of secrets and side-quests on this world map.
    • They’re about 40% done with the game’s art, and, because they design mechanics from art, they’ve got slightly less than that done design-wise. The game got started in 2010. So. Hold tight, is what I'm getting at.
    • But it will ultimately be a trilogy, of sorts! Moldenhauer was just spitballing, but he envisions a set of expansion packs which build on the weapons and elements introduced in the first game, sorta like the Sonic & Knuckles cartridge re-made earlier Sonic games. It's like a trilogy of games that will build Cuphead into its fullest possible Cuphead.

Given the world map, I wonder how much freedom you are given in choosing the order of the boss fights. Also, since the game is all about bosses, I hope there's some good stage progression in the fights: scrolling, changing environments, bosses that summon lesser enemies and/or have numerous destructible parts etc. so that you get all the excitement and dynamism of full action game levels.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

The art style alone is enough to attract my interest. How the hell the music is going to work is beyond me, though.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I want it.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Ambitious.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DAY FUCKING 1

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Dalai

This game isn't getting enough attention and I'm not giving this game the attention it deserves. I'm part of the problem.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Definitely deserves more attention, I barely see anyone talking about it. The art style looks un-fucking-believable.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The art style alone is enough to attract my interest.

It's the sort of stuff I want to hook right into my brain. Just so good.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

One of the games I got really jealous about being on X1 only (for now?). Really hopes this game turns out good and gets ported to PS4. Or Vita. Whichever. Or else I'll have to buy an X1 in 2016 or so.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comparing this game to Gunstar Heroes, which is one of my favourite games of all time, just has me way more excited for it.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By TruthTellah

Now this is Next Gen.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the games I got really jealous about being on X1 only (for now?). Really hopes this game turns out good and gets ported to PS4. Or Vita. Whichever. Or else I'll have to buy an X1 in 2016 or so.

Yeah, is this confirmed to be fully exclusive, or just a timed exclusive?

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac said:

@awesomeusername said:

Yeah, is this confirmed to be fully exclusive, or just a timed exclusive?

For now it's just Xbox One and PC, but the developers have stated they're looking at other platforms. More than likely it will appear on Playstation platforms at some point after the Xbox One and PC versions come out.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By fattony12000

three cups one game

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

DAY FUCKING 1

Just on that gif alone I'm hyped for this game. I hope the game play can hold up to the hype of the style of it.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icemael: I'd rather play this on my iPod then a PC.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's a IDatXbox game so will probably head to everywhere else. But who knows ms could money hat em.

@dalai said:

This game isn't getting enough attention and I'm not giving this game the attention it deserves. I'm part of the problem.

GET HYPE

Also a great IDLE Animation disney style

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#20 Mento  Moderator

So, four years of development equals 40% of progress... I guess I'll look forward to this in 2020 then. I'm definitely curious about its Fleischer-esque animation style, but that's a hell of a long time to wait. I'll focus my attention on stuff coming out this decade.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@mento said:

So, four years of development equals 40% of progress... I guess I'll look forward to this in 2020 then. I'm definitely curious about its Fleischer-esque animation style, but that's a hell of a long time to wait. I'll focus my attention on stuff coming out this decade.

I assume you're not focusing your attention on Half-Life 3 then.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mento: Since they're billing it as three parts I wouldn't be surprised if they put them out episodically.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#23 Mento  Moderator

@beachthunder: I'm still waiting for HL 2: Episode 3. I'm hoping the intention was to release it just prior to 3, with all the new assets/engine, as a way to ease people in. But yeah, at least Cuphead seems to have a development schedule and signs of life, so I'll give it that.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mento: According to the official site and the trailer it's "coming 2015" so when they say it got started in 2010 they probably don't mean they've had a whole team working full time on it since then.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still sort of find it hard to believe that they can pull of a full game with this level of quality of graphics ... it would be awesome to be proven wrong though. Do we know anything about the developers?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By xyzygy

This game was the coolest thing I saw at E3. I'm not even sure if it was announced before then but man, as soon as I saw it at the MS conference I knew it would be a day one buy for me. What a great looking game, glad to hear they're spending a lot of time on it.

I still sort of find it hard to believe that they can pull of a full game with this level of quality of graphics ... it would be awesome to be proven wrong though. Do we know anything about the developers?

How so? The backgrounds are pretty static and just look to use a few layers for the depth. Just look at Rayman Origins/Legends. They made full games out of that. All they really have to do is nail that old 1930's style.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, this is style over brute, technical force. Its kind of the reason a small team can do it. I will raid Steam for this when it finally hits virtual shelves. Or actual shelves. If shelves still exist.

A world without shelves. Doesn't bear thinking about, does it?

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

@xyzygy said:

This game was the coolest thing I saw at E3. I'm not even sure if it was announced before then but man, as soon as I saw it at the MS conference I knew it would be a day one buy for me. What a great looking game, glad to hear they're spending a lot of time on it.

@2headedninja said:

How so? The backgrounds are pretty static and just look to use a few layers for the depth. Just look at Rayman Origins/Legends. They made full games out of that. All they really have to do is nail that old 1930's style.

idk, maybe its just because the visuals seem so unusual ... I didn't mean it as a knock against the game. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.