Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Cuphead

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 29, 2017

A 2D co-op shooter-platformer focused on boss battles. It is known for its unique art style, which imitates the more surreal cartoons of the 1930s.

How long did it take you to beat? (Spoilers)

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pompouspizza

I finally finished Cuphead this evening and my Xbox game clock says it took me 56 hours to finish!

I initially felt bad about this because I have seen so many people online say it took them about 6-7 hours to finish. I am not very experienced with this type of game so I’m actually really proud that I managed to finish it. I actually did quite well overall because the lowest rank I ever got on a boss was B and I somehow managed to beat King Dice without being hit, even though I was stuck him for about 2 hours.

The boss that really surprised me was the Devil because it took me a good 5 hours to finally beat him and I had heard that he was a complete pushover.

I was not too shocked to see that according to the Xbox achievement, less that 6% of people that have played have actually finished the game.

Anyway, how long did it take you to finish and which bosses gave you the most trouble?

TheMadMan007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It took me about 7 hours and the Frankenstein Junkyard boss (can’t remember the exact name) was the one that took me the longest. Mr. King Dice was probably the 2nd hardest because I never got the timing down and rolled 1’s the entire time and also got the the end and had to redone the entire boss run again.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I play a lot of 2D action games, so I ended up completing it in just over 5 hours. It really just depends how long it takes you to memorize the patterns and execute. I ended up going through again on Hard as well, I feel like one run isn't quite enough to appreciate all the hard work that went into creating all that animation.

Milijango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Milijango

No experience with the genre, so 31 hours. Struggled on everything but the Root Pack and the rat bosses which took zero effort.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Steam says 22 hours, but I also did all the side stuff / got most of the achievements (including Pacifist).

Aside from King Dice, Beppi the Clown probably took me the longest.

mcbisquick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My first playthrough (regular difficulty, not going for any grades) took me about 9 hours, I believe. And then I went in to S rank all the bosses (which is a terrible idea, don't do that) as well as get all the achievements. And then the developers patched out a weapon-switch glitch I used to get some of those S ranks, so I felt obligated to go back and get those S ranks legitimately.

After all that, Steam says I have about 53 hours put into Cuphead. I love the game and it was my personal GOTY last year. But I also don't want to play it again for a long, long time.

majormitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 31

#7  Edited By majormitch

I actually played the entire game in one day (basically one sitting), as part of my Extra Life stream last year. My recording for it is around 6.5 hours. Some things were helped by playing on a stream, such as people giving me very helpful tips (I didn't look anything up but welcomed tips). Some things were hindered, as I was talking and joking with friends in the chat some, which added a little time. But had I done it off air I think it would have been a similar amount of time overall.

I play a decent amount of action games and platformers, and I got through a lot of bosses fairly quickly. I never got good grades though, or replayed any bosses once I beat them. I did get all the coins in the run and gun levels though. The Devil was BY FAR the toughest boss for me. He was over an hour of my stream by himself. Anyone who says he's a pushover is lying or got lucky ;)

Also, do not feel bad about how long it takes you at all. You should definitely feel proud for beating it regardless of time taken! Everyone's more experienced or naturally more inclined towards all sorts of different things :D

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Taking longer to get success is better than quitting after failing early.

Nice work! I think I was in the thirty to forty-hour range.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By nutter

I didn’t.

I had a lot of fun for a little while. I stopped playing most of the way through the second island.

Really fun game, but I just sort of fell off of it and don’t think I’ll be going back (too much good stuff out there).

dprotp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

different strokes i guess! the devil was definitely a pushover for me but other bosses, like hilda berg and the ryu/ken frogs were a whole lot tougher for me

i forget when i finished the game, but it took me 28 hours to discover what it means to really hate myself

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I was able to go through the game on normal fairly quickly I guess, 7 hours or so. It was kind of puzzling to me why Cuphead had the rep of a brutally difficult game. Recognize the patterns, figure out where you need to be to avoid those situations, and maximize your damage because no one can dodge forever. The button that allows you to stay in one spot and aim diagonally and the invincible dash are vital, use them. When I went backto S rank all the levels in challenge difficulty the level that gave me the most trouble was the pier platforming level towards the end of the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.