Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Cyberpunk 2077

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Dec 10, 2020

An open-world action role-playing game by CD Projekt RED based on the pen and paper RPG Cyberpunk 2020.

Looks like we're getting some footage real soon

• 63 results
    Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Haven't seen anyone else report on this yet, but CDPR has put up a "please hold" stream. My best guess it's just their private E3/gamescom demo finally being showed to the public. Even if it is though it's gonna be nice to finally see what everyone raved about earlier this year.

KavaJava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting. Whatever it is it's more public focused marketing which makes me think this game is coming sooner than I thought. Spring 2020?

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been wanting to see footage ever since it was hyped as the Jesus of video games at E3. There's no way I will be disappointed due to over hype! Seriously though, I'm looking forward to it.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Awesome, but I won't be watching if we do get some. I want to go to this totally blind.

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
    deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holiday 2018, lets gooo!!!!

xD, joking of course

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"i cant believe x isnt in the game! It was there in the demo".

OldeBlueEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

xD, joking of course

Tears would happen if this was the case, very good tears!

KavaJava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reap3r160 said:

xD, joking of course

How ballsy would that be to do such a surprise quick release though! I want any big company to subvert release date expectations so bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
    deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kavajava said:
    @oldeblueeyes said:
    @reap3r160 said:

xD, joking of course

How ballsy would that be to do such a surprise quick release though! I want any big company to subvert release date expectations so bad.

That's sort of why I, optimistically/jokingly said it. If anyone were to do it, it'd be CD.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zeik

@reap3r160: I kinda feel like CDPR is the last company that would do that. They are never about quick releases. Their moto is "It's done when it's done." I don't think they care about PR stunts for release dates, they just want to release a good game when it's ready.

Avatar image for deactivated-63c06c6e81315
    deactivated-63c06c6e81315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Things are happening now, I'm guessing the "upload" will finish in about 20 minutes.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure looks like something special. I really hope this comes out by the end of next year and runs decent on current gen consoles, or at least on the beefed up Pro and X.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

God, this looks incredible, both visually and conceptually. This is the game of my dreams.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking impressive, I'm kinda getting the same feeling I got when they first showed off Mass Effect. It was super impressive the first time it was shown. Hoping this game lives up to the hype.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

the game looks interesting but there are a couple things that i really don't like, first calling the currency eddies is so fucking stupid just call it dollars, and the red text i hate it. I don't think i could look at it for a 50-100 hours. i know these two things are nit picky and are completely personal gripes. The game may end up being great but for me its the little things that turn me off from games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Visually it doesn't look super impressive? I guess it's hard to gain from watching a compressed stream but the lighting especially looked kinda dull.

Gameplay wise it looked fine. I mean it looked exactly like I imagined it. It looks like a cyberpunk shooter. I'm not super hyped though, honestly.

Dooley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Dooley

Holy Shit. It looks so dope.

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like the Deus Ex game that I wanted. I was really disappointed that Square Enix shelved Deus Ex and I am glad that Projekt Red will fill in that void. The game looks fantastic.

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I assume that the name of the currency originates from the pen and paper original.

As for the red UI, they must provide options for the colorblind. Red would be my last choice (I cannot see the LED displays in my car in strong daylight at all), though this pinkish hue wasn't that unreadable.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very into pretty much everything there. This is the first game I've ever wanted to own a proper high end PC to play it on.

Also 90% sure the female protag is voiced by Cherami Leigh (aka Makoto from P5, or more importantly, Suzuha from Steins;Gate), which I am also into.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For some reason it hadn't really hit me that they're making a shooter, but this really is a shooter first and foremost. Maybe it's just the nature of being a demo and having to be somewhat brief, but the character interactions felt pretty shallow and flat to me. It's all "this is the mission", "how can I help you" etc, your typical jazzed up basic structure. It's pretty much what I was worried would happen with moving away from this mass of lore they could lean on. That city sequence was pretty damn impressive though. Hopefully they won't have to scale back due to performance.

leejunfan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

GOTD!

DannyHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DannyHibiki

Here's a 4K upload of the same footage on the Cyberpunk 2077 youtube channel, in case anyone missed it.

Really looking forward to this even more now that I've seen some of the actual game!

Avatar image for militantfreudian
    militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game's approach to the dialogue system and interactivity in general looks super ambitious. There's about a hundred way to break each scene from what I've seen. Still, I hope the devs stick with it, and it actually pans out.

The combat doesn't look half as bad as I expected. I didn't enjoy the combat in The Witcher games most of the time, but the gunplay in this game, while not super polished, looks like it could be fun.

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42: Keep in mind this is a VERY vertical slice I wouldn't be surprised to see more options for things in the final game. Also there were a few times when some white dialogue options popped up that looked like "tell me more" kind of stuff. Makes sense they didn't want to do those in the demo for time.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks great!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ripelivejam

Let the hyperbole begin!

I'll give it a whirl shortly myself in any case.

This will probably be another case of multitudes of patches to fix and add/tweak features on a buggy release, and I bet they won't nearly get as much flak as other companies do for the same thing. Good on them for their support, but their games always tend to need a few more months in the oven.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

In 4k for those that missed it live.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Overall, very impressive I think. Certainly gave me some Ghost in the Shell vibes with the hacking. Never played any of the Deus Ex games.

As someone said, lighting seemed a little plain compared to how dense and nice looking the environments were? Guess I imagine something with a little more glow or bloom from neon or colored environment UI stuff? Don't want too much though. Will also have to see how the vehicle control is. Don't think they've had that in a game before so I could see like.. the vehicles handle like a horse lol Looked a little stiff here but might've all just been on rails a bit for the demo.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Whelp. Goodbye money, hello new graphics card. :|

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

That looked amazing, but I'm not trusting a single shred of footage of this game to be representative of the real thing until we're a few months out from release. I love CDProjekt's work, but I'm not going to get too hyped until there's an actual release date and gameplay shown on consumer hardware. Witcher 3's initial gameplay reveals were...misleading, to say the least.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I like how they had to emphasize multiple times that THIS IS NOT THE FINAL GAME. THINGS MAY CHANGE, OKAY? Guess CDPR is still a little salty about the whole Witcher 3 "downgrade" controversy.

The demo itself looked good, and to its credit I can start to plausibly see how it could play in a broader context. I'm maybe not going to expect the same level of obsessive craft and simulation as something like a Deus Ex, but they're clearly making a big, open-world action RPG with a bunch of potential approaches to any given situation, which sounds like my jam. Even from just seeing this footage, I'm already predicting the shooting isn't going to be 100% tight and there's going to be some janky open world stuff, and I think I'm okay with that.

I guess the real question mark for me is how the story and writing will hold up, or how dynamic some of the decisions you make actually will be. I think cyberpunk done wrong can be incredibly dumb and corny (in fact, I think I might go as far as saying cyberpunk as a setting and aesthetic is inherently kind of corny) so I hope they nail that aspect. There's only so much goofy future-slang and on-the-nose social commentary ripped from the 1980s I can take before I start rolling my eyes a little.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course its going to change...and this is such an early look...but holy crap, this is looking absolutely amazing!!

This is a game straight up my alley of interests, so I really can't wait.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I think it looks pretty great! I'm glad they finally released this, I thought I'd be waiting until next year or something to see this much gameplay.

But I still think it's super weird how CDPR constantly feels the need to refer to their games as "mature". They have already proven with The Witcher 2 and 3 that they can write something that actually is "mature", but turning around and advertising the word "mature" still makes me feel like they're determined to put it in my face that this is for grown-ass manly men! If you're not a grown-ass manly man, don't play! Focusing the camera on a comatose, bloody, naked female body for minutes at a time didn't help this. I found that part especially silly considering that they blurred out the nudity on the character select screen. In general, I don't need pervasive nudity in my entertainment.

All right, I'm done with that. I'm only eleven minutes into the demo and things look pretty awesome so far. It is funny how they constantly say "not representative of the final product", but whatever, I've got a good idea of what they're doing with this thing and that makes me pretty excited for it.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

It looks like it has all the potential in the world, but it's not going to be any one particular piece of media that convinces me the game will be good. I bought The Witcher 3 purely off Danny O'Dwyer's excitement for it, to be honest, and I fell for it in a way I could have never expected. So it's not that I don't have faith in CDPR's ability to deliver a good product. I will say that this world on its surface is inherently less intriguing than that of The Witcher and I think lends itself more nakedly to artifice and tropes. Like Game of Thrones, The Witcher was a world ripe for exploitation of tropes and expectation in order to buck the norms of the genre, but I'm not certain this world offers those same opportunities.

I will say my primary take away, other than the world looks very intensely detailed, was that their writing team is very much still writing video game dialogue in their house style, which can be a bit uncomfortable for me. I already have a long-running pet peeve with the way most video games approach their dialogue, dropping pronouns and basic descriptors to make their characters sound...I don't know really, confident in what they're saying I guess? Edgy? For example, in the Dex conversation:

"Scannin' a serious job just now. Plain gargantuation compared to smashin' up a scav haunt."

At times that approach feels natural, but it just so often enough felt weird in The Witcher that I had hoped it was just a mode of communication that world had fallen into. Seeing it come over into this game makes it pretty clear CDPR has a house style. Because this game is so loaded with slang (another pet peeve - Jackie's Chicano slang is already insanely repetitive to me in this brief preview) and made up pronouns, I worry that all the jargon will make this house style even more obvious.

I really don't mean to be overly negative, there's a ton to like about what they're showing here, again particularly the level of detail that's clearly going into their world building here. The branching dialogue and action trees tease gobs of potential I hope the team can deliver on. The shooting and driving both look passable, I'm sure they'll get tightened up in the months to come. I can't wait to hear more, and it's pretty shocking how far along this game looks considering they continue to talk about it like its years from being finished. Hopes remain high until given real reason to feel otherwise.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By pweidman

This slice looked great overall. The models, animations, destructive environs, gunplay, vehicle stuff, and the detailed city we saw all looked top notch production quality. However the dialogue here is really a drawback for me. So corny and video game silly. If they wanna be "mature", they need to up their game in the writing department. Cyberpunk does not need to be mindless and dumb by definition to be entertaining imo. The quest and the way things can go sideways because of choice is awesome, but man that corny dialogue is gonna get annoying pretty quick. This was surprising, as I thought the Witcher games kept it pretty real, as far as that fantasy world went. Are they marketing a demographic or is this just their "house style" as mentioned above?

Still excited to see more and play the game when it drops as it has a lot to love going on already. They said it was all work in progress and stuff could change over and over again, so maybe they change or tone down the over the top dialogue down the development road.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Dan_CiTi

The game looks like something I'll love, finally a good new Deus Ex game, etc. but I wasn't crazy about the dialog (definitely left a lot to be desired) and the narration was a bit heavy handed. Was more tell than show (I don't need you to agonizingly tell me how you've made an original in-world song for the in-game radio as a part of your world building Man-with-boring-voice, it kind of kills the novelty of it all.) Much preferred Rockstar's from the other week.

I was not sure about the gunplay as described by E3 goers but it looked quite good here.

Another big detail is once they got on that city street, it gave me the feeling of "damn I want to see every corner of this place, even if there isn't any real "content" there, which few games can deliver (RDR, Witcher 3, Breath of the Wild are the only ones that come to mind) which is always a good feeling. Can't wait to see where it all goes when it releases.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thing is going to run like shit on the Switch.

Purps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima: The wall-to-wall slang is definitely a staple of the cyberpunk genre. I read Neuromancer recently and it is so rife with it that often had to reread sentences a few times to parse what actually was being said.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deanoxd: Pretty sure eddie is from the source matrial.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@pweidman said:

The quest and the way things can go sideways because of choice is awesome, but man that corny dialogue is gonna get annoying pretty quick. This was surprising, as I thought the Witcher games kept it pretty real, as far as that fantasy world went. Are they marketing a demographic or is this just their "house style" as mentioned above?

Still excited to see more and play the game when it drops as it has a lot to love going on already. They said it was all work in progress and stuff could change over and over again, so maybe they change or tone down the over the top dialogue down the development road.

When I was referring to the house style, I meant their general approach toward grammar. Rewatching the video I noticed it wasn't happening as often as I thought during the stream, and even in The Witcher 3 Geralt was the primary perpetrator, but I do think video games have an unnatural tendency to drop pronouns, abbreviate words and generally break with conventional grammar in attempts to sound knowing or natural but really just come off as jilted and a little weird.

I do agree with you though that, jargon aside (because I'm actually always there for jargon) the dialogue did often dip into edgelord adjacent structure. There was a lot of vulgar language seemingly just because it could be there, and again I found the excessive Chicano slang grating in short order, mostly because they kept relying on the same ones over and over again. If that character spoke more latin gang slang, or more Spanish in general, it'd be one thing, but the fact that all he's saying is the slang for girlfriend and dickhead over and over again just makes him feel like a stereotype rather than a real character.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It looks good. Some things I'm not sold on, but it's early, so we will see.

I'm a fan of sci-fi so I'm infinitely more interested in this world than the fantasy setting of the Witcher, which I also enjoyed but not as much as I love me some cyberpunk where the possibilities seem endless.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By sasnake

@deanoxd said:

the game looks interesting but there are a couple things that i really don't like, first calling the currency eddies is so fucking stupid just call it dollars, and the red text i hate it. I don't think i could look at it for a 50-100 hours. i know these two things are nit picky and are completely personal gripes. The game may end up being great but for me its the little things that turn me off from games.

Eddies is short for Eurodollar (which is the currency in the game). Same way people refer to Pounds as Quid, or even dosh. Those seem like really trivial things to turn you off a game.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sasnake said:
    @deanoxd said:

Eddies is short for Eurodollar (which is the currency in the game). Same way people refer to Pounds as Quid, or even dosh. Those seem like really trivial things to turn you off a game.

And i said as much in my post.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Most everything about it was up my alley. The UI towards the end was great and that hacking concept looked awesome. There was that gun they showed at the end, where the bullets were curving around the car; seeing it gave me the same feeling as when I first saw/used a needler in Halo, which is to say it looked even better because it's having the same effect now. I can definitely see why the devs were touting the first-person perspective adding to the experience because when they found those bodies, it gave me a bit of chills; seeing the subtle movements of the eyes and the detail of everything in the scene.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deanoxd said:
    @sasnake said:
    @deanoxd said:

And i said as much in my post.

Alright Mr Sassy, cool your jets.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ghost_cat

I'm cool with everything here. It's pretty cyberpunk as fuck, with a world dripping in style that I can't wait to peep every corner. The moment my excitement peaked was when V and Jackie encountered the Malestrom gang: their designs look insane and pretty creepy (clocking spider bot was cool too).

And I want to add to everyone's take on the dialog and "maturity" of vibe: I am bored to death with stuff like Deus Ex. If the options are really there, I'm ready to be as much of a low-life scumbag as possible in this universe.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghost_cat: I couldn't agree more. The scene where Jackie lifted the car and V started firing the smart gun around it, that was what got me.

Also, loved the slow-mo drug from Dredd being used for a bullet time mechanic.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really wow'd by the gameplay being open-world Deus Ex should be right up my alley however it didn't really grab me, but the world and language with its own lingo and slang is quite fantastic feels very much like something out of 2000 AD.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.