Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Cyberpunk 2077

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Dec 10, 2020

An open-world action role-playing game by CD Projekt RED based on the pen and paper RPG Cyberpunk 2020.

New Cyberpunk 2077 info.

• 96 results
    BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BrunoTheThird

For those that haven't watched the Gamespot stage show:

• The game is first person, according to Kyle Riley (think I misheard his name) from CDPR. No mention of third person combat at all.
    • It's an RPG first and foremost, with ranged and melee combat secondary to that, but is not an FPS by any means. I assumed there would be third-person melee combat for some reason, but he said otherwise!
    • You don't pick a class at the beginning; it's dynamically based on the skills and whatnot you pick throughout the game.
    • It's not all bubbly, candy-coloured daytime scenes; it will have those moody, neon, cyberpunk-noir vibes we want.
    • It features certain characters from and other links to Cyberpunk 2020 throughout, but he didn't say how prevalent that would be.
    • There are tech weapons which focus on penetrating armor, walls, etc.
    • There's 'smart' weapons that auto-track enemies, for players who want more casual gunplay.
    • Drivable cars and motorcycles.
    • Complete male and female voice acting for the MC.
    • Your character is called 'V'.
    • It's set in 'Night City', between L.A. and San Francisco near the coast of California.
    • It has six unique districts.
    • There are 'mega-buildings' with whole communities and marketplaces of their own inside.
    • Two forms of XP: one standard type you receive from completing main quests, and another called 'street cred' that you get from side-quests. You unlock new 'fixers' (quest givers) as you level your street cred.

That's all I remember! The interview starts at the 1:03:49 mark.

More deets:

• You can initiate bullet-time for a few seconds by huffing on a 'reflex booster'. Probably a consumable?
    • You can see personal info above NPCs if you focus on them, Watch_Dogs style -- their job, character level, health status.
    • You can buy cool jackets for your apartment closet that have different resistances and street cred boosts.
    • Ripperdocs return from the tabletop games. Augmentation vendors, basically, not all legit.
    • You can shoot while driving.
    • Controllable bots.
    • You can hack fools' minds.
    • There are vents!
    • Stealthy, death from above bliss.
    • Ground slide at will.
    • No loading screens in the world.
    • Noodle bar.
    • You can blow people's legs off.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It was a great interview and just got me more excited about Cyberpunk 2077!

I love third person so I am not sure how much I initially love the idea of first person but that doesn't mean its bad, just not always my preference. I have confidence they will be doing it really well.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm worried about it being first person, but after the Witcher 3 they can do whatever they want.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

Sort of bummed about it being first person, but everything else sounds great.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for posting this. Looking forward to it but there's not much info out there.

Not bothered what perspective it's played in. I like first and third person equally.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@the_greg said:

Thanks for posting this. Looking forward to it but there's not much info out there.

Not bothered what perspective it's played in. I like first and third person equally.

While I enjoy both first person and third person games, I tend to prefer first for action oriented experiences and third for story driven experiences. I feel like it's easier to get more attached to the main character when you see them all the time rather than look through their eyes. However, I would imagine that dialogue scenes in Cyberpunk will be third person, they already have amazing tech in place to generate dialogue cutscenes from The Witcher 3, I can't imagine them not using that. If the dialogue scenes are all Elder Scrolls style with a locked first person perspective, then I will definitely have a problem, but I doubt that will be case.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm fine with it being first person, the closest thing to a proper Cyberpunk game in recent years that wasnt a visual novel or an isometric rpg is Deus Ex and that does it pretty well.

Also glad to hear it's an RPG, I mean that was to be expected but that trailer definitely gave off a GTA vibe. (albeit much cooler imo)

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man this is all sounding so goddamn good to me. I would have probably preferred third person, but I've got no qualms about first person. I'm guessing it's got an in-depth character creator too, there was about 3 different people in the trailer wearing the same jacket, so hopefully that was a clue to that and not just asset reuse.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

• It's not all bubbly, candy-coloured daytime scenes

Oh you.

Being first-person is a surprise. Wonder if they'll stick to it when driving as well. But I'm most interested in how detailed the character creator will be.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So it takes place in Bakersfield! Hell of a cowboy punk ethos there!

hnke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hnke

Surprised it's an FPS considering the pre-E3 rumors had it as third person first and foremost and first person optionally, GTA V style. I think third person suits open world games better but I guess it doesn't really matter.

@brackstone: I think the businessman in a meeting early in the trailer was V as a Corporate.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zeik

A little sad about it being first person, I always find movement awkward and stiff from that perspective, but it's certainly not a deal breaker.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BrunoTheThird

@theht: Hey now! I wasn't one of those who took issue with the sunny look of the trailer (I didn't even notice to be honest); the dude addressed it directly and I paraphrased him, ha.

One other thing I noticed was that Kyle, when talking about when we can expect new info, said CDPR would be coming out with new details, ". . . over the next f--" before stopping himself, joking that he nearly gave something away. I thought he was going to say the next few years, which would place it on the next consoles quite firmly in my opinion, but I could be wrong in my analysis.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So what I heard from someone there (grain of salt for second-hand info and all that) is that what they said is that all the combat and movement is in first person, but narrative cut scenes and (some?) dialogue scenes are in third person.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bybeach said:

So it takes place in Bakersfield! Hell of a cowboy punk ethos there!

Baskersfield would be the true dystopia, but assuming they're sticking with the original tabletop lore Night City is much closer to SF and on the coast. Like around Monterey.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup: I kind of think your right.

It was worth a hope though!

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fezrock said:

So what I heard from someone there (grain of salt for second-hand info and all that) is that what they said is that all the combat and movement is in first person, but narrative cut scenes and (some?) dialogue scenes are in third person.

One would assume this to be the case if they feature character customization.

hnke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hnke

Here's a more exhaustive rundown I found.

• FPS perspective made to feel more personal
    • RPG with Shooter Elements not a Shooter with RPG elements
    • CD Projekt described Cyberpunk as a "mature experience intended for mature audiences."
    • Multiple different progression systems (Skills, Perks, etc.)
    • V, protagonist - urban merc/hired gun.
    • Voiced protagonist, male and female voices
    • Full character creation system (Gender, Looks, Lifepath/Backstory)
    • You DO NOT pick classes in the beginning, class system is fluid based on choices
    • Dystopian Cyberpunk future shown in sunlight on purpose. Full Day/Night Cycle. Noir themes bleed through environment and aesthetic
    • Characters from Cyberpunk 2020 lore will appear
    • Netrunner Techie and Solo are main focused classes
    • You can combine classes
    • Optional classes exist (like Rockerboy and Corporate) and you can pull perks from them to add into your own custom class
    • Story and quest system from Witcher 3 is implemented into Cyberpunk similarly.
    • Choice and consequence is HUGE. Emphasized that the game is an RPG first and foremost
    • Story is personalized by player choice.
    • Combat - Ranged combat and Melee combat. Learned lessons from Witcher 3. FPS Melee combat.
    • Damage numbers pop up during combat.
    • Weapons - 3 branches - Power Weapons (heavy hitting/stagger), Tech Weapons (penetrating through cover), Smart Weapons (tracking/following)
    • Vehicles - Motorcycles, Cars, hinted at flying cars.
    • The game features first-person driving. While driving, the U.I. appears diegetically on the windshield.
    • V is a fully voiced character. Both Male and Female completely voiced.
    • V's personality is shaped by player. Backstory and interactions shape V's personality.
    • Cyberpunk is a dark dystopia in the same vein as Witcher 3 being Dark Fantasy
    • Details of the world - everything has a purpose. World design was a huge focus in setting the tone.
    • Night City - in between SF and LA (fictional city). Inspired by both cities.
    • 6 unique districts in the city. Each area has its own feel on top of the base Noir feel
    • Exploration is encouraged.
    • Witcher was horizontally huge, Cyberpunk is vertically huge.
    • You can enter buildings, Mega Buildings exist as well with multiple floors and multiple areas to explore within a single building.
    • No level scaling. 2 forms of XP - Core XP - Main Missions and Street Cred - Side missions
    • Higher Street Cred opens new exclusive vendors and fixers (new jobs)
    • The game will also have romances, full frontal nudity, and one-night stands
    Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First person rpg combat with guns always feel like such a gamble. Balancing the feel of shooting with stats without feeling like you are robbed despite aiming well. But I do hope they pull it off. Everything else sounds great.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By BoOzak

@hnke: "Witcher was horizontally huge, Cyberpunk is vertically huge." Good to hear, I liked TW3 but the world felt a bit flat. "The game will also have romances, full frontal nudity, and one-night stands" Still a CDPR game then. (I wonder if they finally implemented dick physics like they had planned for TW3?)

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This all sounds great to me.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pezen said:

First person rpg combat with guns always feel like such a gamble. Balancing the feel of shooting with stats without feeling like you are robbed despite aiming well. But I do hope they pull it off. Everything else sounds great.

As long as they don't make your ability to hit your target tied to your stats I think it has potential to work fine. But there's nothing less satisfying than a "RPG shooter" that won't let you hit your target with your bullets even when your own aim is spot on.

CupOfDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One other thing I noticed was that Kyle, when talking about when we can expect new info, said CDPR would be coming out with new details, ". . . over the next f--" before stopping himself, joking that he nearly gave something away. I thought he was going to say the next few years, which would place it on the next consoles quite firmly in my opinion, but I could be wrong in my analysis.

If the next gen consoles come out in 2020 then that makes sense. Although, there is no way they don't also ship a version on current gen as well considering the install base.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
    deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak said:

@hnke: "Witcher was horizontally huge, Cyberpunk is vertically huge." Good to hear, I liked TW3 but the world felt a bit flat. "The game will also have romances, full frontal nudity, and one-night stands" Still a CDPR game then. (I wonder if they finally implemented dick physics like they had planned for TW3?)

Dick physics? I am so in. Riding a motorbike around a neon soaked dystopia, my junk flapping violently in the wind... I guess the story/fighting stuff will be cool too.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@fezrock said:

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By NeverGameOver

Boooooooooo first person

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good god, this thing is 1000% gonna be my jam. Full character creator and what sounds like a dynamic class system means I'll probably actually replay it a bunch of times too. Would be awesome if we got body types too. Could be a lot of those characters in the trailer are different depictions of V.

Between that, Todd Howard referencing next-gen when introducing Starfield and TESVI, and Phil Spencer mentioning them working on the next-generation of hardware, I think it's fair to say it's definitely on the horizon, and that these are like when Watch Dogs was revealed pre-current-gen reveals. No super extended lifetime for current-gen I guess!

But I think I'm okay with that, especially if the whole game looks like that trailer, good lord.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hnke said:

What does that even mean? Like alpha protocol or Fallout 4? I struggle to see how you make good RPG gameplay with guns in first person.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hnke said:

What does that even mean? Like alpha protocol or Fallout 4? I struggle to see how you make good RPG gameplay with guns in first person.

Yeah, I guess like those, or Deus Ex. Those aren't really shooters first and foremost, they're RPGs with shooting. Like how The Witcher games are RPGs with actiony melee combat.

Juxtaposed with stuff like Destiny which is first and foremost a first-person shooter, and then has RPG elements around that core shooter experience.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BrunoTheThird

I assume these are the kinds of looks you can achieve with their character creator.

They also tweeted that, "You'll have plenty of opportunities to see your character."

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@pyrodactyl said:
    @hnke said:

To me that means the game is built around and focused on role playing a character (dialogue), character progression, and quests, with combat that happens to be shooting in first person. The other end of the spectrum would be something like Destiny or Far Cry that has some or all of those elements as well, but the core experience is about shooting dudes.

I would expect the ratio of combat to talking in Cyberpunk to lean more towards talking, whereas those other games I mentioned are like 80% combat.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:
    @pyrodactyl said:
    @hnke said:

Yeah, I guess like those, or Deus Ex. Those aren't really shooters first and foremost, they're RPGs with shooting. Like how The Witcher games are RPGs with actiony melee combat.

Juxtaposed with stuff like Destiny which is first and foremost a first-person shooter, and then has RPG elements around that core shooter experience.

Fallout 4 leans too far into the "shooter" side over "RPG" imo, but I'm not too worried about that being the case with Cyberpunk.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BrunoTheThird

More info from GI:

• You can initiate bullet-time for a few seconds by huffing on a 'reflex booster'. Probably a consumable?
    • You can see personal info above NPCs if you focus on them, Watch_Dogs style -- their job, character level, health status.
    • You can buy cool jackets for your apartment closet that have different resistances and a street cred boost.
    • Ripperdocs return from the tabletop games. Augmentation vendors, basically, not all legit.
    • You can shoot while driving.
    • Controllable bots.
    • You can hack fools' minds.
    • There are vents!
    • Stealthy, death from above bliss.
    • Ground slide at will.
    FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

• There are 'mega-buildings' with whole communities and marketplaces of their own inside.

Sounds like they watched Dredd.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First person cyberpunk? Finally, a worthy follow-up to the 2012 Syndicate.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

First person worries me if the game is as melee focused as The Witcher is. It's the reason I loved what I played of Fallout 3 (I only ever rented it from Blockbuster; the last game I ever rented, and a silly game to rent) and bounced off of Skyrim within a half hour. I hate first person melee combat outside of stuff like DOOM's glory kills and simple punching like Destiny, which even that would get tiring if that was all Destiny was I think.

I'll cross my fingers, especially considering I never expected to enjoy The Witcher as much as I ended up liking it, but I'll definitely be waiting for some gameplay footage with bated breath for the next, what, three years?

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More info from GI:

I am more of a Shadowrun guy but since they are both Cyberpunk I feel safe to say that a reflex booster is probably some sort of cyberware/implant you can get.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Austin tweeted that him and Patrick got to see an hour long demo. Hopefully someone @ GB got the same demo.

Penderton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First person might be a deal breaker for me too. I was so happy to have character creation confirmed, then BOOM! first person. It's an RPG, with character creation. I want to be seeing my character at all times. Especially when they said things about your character look being important and (supposedly) having so many effects. The people that's a selling point for are going to want to see their character all the time too. I'd have hope for modders doing something but that'd most likely mess up the gameplay/shooting. Also I just enjoy making characters. I've got 950+ hairs, 400+ eyes and 40+ eyebrows for Skyrim.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht: @ll_exile_ll: @barrock:

@pezen said:

Having listened to the Waypoint podcast on it they mention that there is a sense of violence, tension and threat that would not be possible in the third person.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The bolding of cool jackets sold me, both on the game and on your post.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@splodge said:

Austin tweeted that him and Patrick got to see an hour long demo. Hopefully someone @ GB got the same demo.

This looks like it was posted before the final segment of GB @ Nite Day 1 but Mike Mahardy said the behind-closed-doors for press is a 50-minute demo with wiggle room for character creation and general scene setting. Jeff sort of mumbled who from their team is taking that meeting, I assume Vinny, but he said multiple people through the day told him he should find a way into that meeting as well.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima: I think I saw Alex mention in chat that Vinny and Brad were going.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All this sounds fantastic, including the tracking weapons as an option if the actual shooting is not top-notch. My only nitpick is the name of the city as Night City - who would name a city like that? Or is that a street name? Anyway, that is an extremely small thing, I am looking forward to this one for sure.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BrunoTheThird

I quite like the name of the city, but it's been the main setting of the Cyberpunk series (2013, 2020, V3.0) from the beginning. I thought there might've been another one that wasn't, but they all were. I'm sure CDPR could've done a new city and named it differently, but it's great to finally see it realized in a huge RPG.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I assume these are the kinds of looks you can achieve with their character creator.

They also tweeted that, "You'll have plenty of opportunities to see your character."

I think those are just promotional. They are both well known cosplayers that do promo work for CDPR. The guy on the right does Geralt Promo work. Still pretty cool and thanks for the line by line info. Can't wait for this.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like everyone across the internet is getting really hung up on this first person thing. I understand that some prefer third person in a character driven RPG, but why is it such a deal breaker for so many people?

It makes very little difference to me. A good game is a good game, and I trust this developer enough to remain optimistic.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the early concept arts has a neon leopard print jacket. If that's in the game I'll wear it regardless of stats.

All of this stuff sounds great btw.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By The_Greg

@hayt: Haha. It'll be better than that pin-cushion s**t that Geralt wore.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.