Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Cyberpunk 2077

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Dec 10, 2020

An open-world action role-playing game by CD Projekt RED based on the pen and paper RPG Cyberpunk 2020.

New Cyberpunk 2077 trailer.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

The game still looks good but i'm not a fan of how heavily edited this 'deep dive' is. I'm not sure if this was more or less the same thing that was shown to the press at this years e3 (without the cringey voiceover) but if so I can see how it would seem underwhelming when compared to last year. It was just a list of things we've kind of seen other games do over the years.

As a big Deus Ex fan i'll gladly do them again in a prettier setting but this time as the underdog criminal. I also have faith that your choices will actually matter since CDPR have generally delivered in that area unlike some developers, but the gameplay doesnt seem to be raising the bar as some would hope.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

looks good to me. I also think this narrator has a fantastic voice.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BoOzak

@onemanarmyy: I dont think it looks bad and my problem with the narrator has more to do with how forced his delivery is. Personally i'd rather have someone explain the mechanics in a normal tone, sort of like how Rockstar did their 'deep dives' prior to GTA V & RDR2.

I think what appealed to me in the first gameplay demo is it showed things other games like this dont often do, like open enviroments, vehicles, densely populated areas. When I saw the boss fight against Sasquatch it looked pretty standard, not bad, but in a game of choice how cool would it be to be able to lure her into an open enviroment run her down with a car (or maybe she flips it) and unload your weapons into her, or snipe her etc. I'm sure there are other ways of dealing with her, like a kill switch akin to Deus Ex but again it isnt really raising the bar.

Obviously it doesnt need to in order to be good or even great but the first gameplay demo showed possibilities that this latest gameplay kind of squandered, for me at least. It could just be a bad demo and i'm still hyped as hell regardless I just wished they'd shown some more unique things.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not gonna watch since I rather not absorb any more information on the game (unless by any slim chance that it's broken on day one), but the hype is there nonetheless.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Humanity

I'm not gonna watch since I rather not absorb any more information on the game (unless by any slim chance that it's broken on day one), but the hype is there nonetheless.

I think it's good to watch this video just to taper your expectations a bit. I've also started getting swept away by the hype and I think we all have experienced that moment where the game can't possibly live up to it. This walkthrough is good in showing you systems at play and making Cyberpunk look like a typical video game rather than this mythical next coming for the action-RPG medium. It's basically Cyberpunk-Deus Ex/Prey and I'm down with that.

That said after this video I don't want to watch anymore because I've seen enough to know I will enjoy it, but also enough to not be disappointed by what it clearly won't be.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
    deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks cool as fuck. My only gripe is there doesn't seem to be many options in the character creator (hopefully not final) and I really need to know how it runs on a base ps4. That bike is sooooooo fucking sweet though and I love everything about the style of the game so far as I've seen.

For me I really don't care if the shooting isn't anything revolutionary, it's the world and story I'm interested in and I'll most certainly be playing through as a hacker lady on the first playthrough anyway. Not a fan of that accent & I'd like if they had some voice options but that doesn't seem to be the case (understandably tbf)

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Honestly, if you stick to the footage, it has always looked like a videogame-ass game. Pretty sure Jeff & Austin talked about it like that when they first saw it behind closed doors as well. It's a game that looks exciting, while also clearly looking like certain games we've played already.

It's just that it being a cyberpunk game + a CDproject RED game has pretty much everyone interested & hoping for the best cyberpunk game that it can be. More so than most other games. It's is often mentioned in a 'oh god... hope they treat this right ... hope they don't do this but do this instead' kind of weary tone I noticed. One person i spoke to didn't want it to spend time on the usual themes of cyberpunk but explore new ideas instead. The expectations are set pretty fucking high, regardless of how revolutionary the game plays.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah, I really don’t understand why so many people developed a view of this game being the second coming. I’ve been waiting for this game since they released the first trailer what, 6 or 7 years ago? It’s my most anticipated game by light years, and this deep dive gave me the same impression I’ve always had. It’s gonna be a deep, well written, kick-ass cyberpunk game with a lot of variety in play style. What else were people expecting?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@jacksmedulla: Personally I don't know what to expect. I know the broad strokes, I can see the structure more or less, but it all comes down to how it will actually feel to play and that can go in many different ways. Witcher 3 is a great example of this. I liked it quite a bit, even played through the DLC which in many regards was actually even better than the main game, but a lot of people out there got tripped up by the actual gameplay. So like yah, this looks great in many ways, and they seem to be shooting for the moon with all the PR talk about fixing known issues in games like these, meaningful choices, diverging questlines, the typical buzz words for a big RPG. All of that won't save a game if the actual gameplay part isn't very great - so thats what I'm trying to keep in check.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This entire video can be summed up quickly "There's a city, there are gangs, there is hacking".
    I'm not particularly in love with the graphical style, or any of the gameplay they've shown so far, at the moment the biggest reason i'm keeping my eye on it is how content rich The Witcher 3 was, and because i like CDPR and the service GOG is providing for old games.
    This SHOULD be a great game, but i'm struggling to see it in what they've shown up to now.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@humanity: I suppose that is what I mean. I've seen many people in this thread and in others talking about these sky-high, industry changing expectations for the game, but I don't know where that developed from. From everything they have shown to this point, the game looks to be a melding of a GTA open world, witcher/bioware dialogue and character customization mechanics, and a deus ex mission design. Looking at some of the expectations in this thread, it seems that people want an infinitely complex simulation of a cyberpunk world where anything they dream up can happen, and that's obviously an impossible standard to meet and one CD-projekt red has never claimed to be striving for. The loftiest goals I have seen CD-projekt red claim is a higher degree of detail and density in the open environment they have built, and nothing from the gampeplay they have shown to this point indicates that is not still a realistic outcome for the game.

With that said, I personally enjoyed the gameplay of both the second and third witcher games, although I know many others did not. So I understand tempering one's expectations in that regard, especially as this is the first first-person shooter CD-Projekt has developed. However, I don't think either deus-ex or the recent Prey had particularly good gameplay, and I still managed to thoroughly enjoy those games due to the level and mission design and the RPG elements, both of which Cyberpunk will have.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacksmedulla: That's the thing though, from what they've shown the GTA aspects seem superficial at best, unless you're talking about the heavily scripted missions. I would consider "a melding of GTA open-world, witcher/bioware dialog and character customization and Deus Ex mission design" to be ground braking, but that doesnt appear to be what this game is, or if it is, this latest gameplay trailer does a poor job of showing that off.

Honestly, if you stick to the footage, it has always looked like a videogame-ass game. Pretty sure Jeff & Austin talked about it like that when they first saw it behind closed doors as well. It's a game that looks exciting, while also clearly looking like certain games we've played already.

I seem to remember Austin talking up what he'd seen quite a bit, Jeff too. (although he tends to not get too hyped about a game until he's played it, which I think is probably a good idea) Vinny was the only one who wasnt over the moon over what he'd seen, which is telling considering he's the only one on staff who has enjoyed CDPR's past work. I feel like he's better at telling which open worlds exist to be fucked around with and which are there mainly to create atmosphere, and this seems to be the latter, which to be fair is in line with the rest of CDPR games, i'm not sure why I thought Cyberpunk would be any different.

Again, to be clear I think this game looks great, but prior to this gameplay I was thinking open-world Deus Ex. Now i'm thinking Deus Ex again, but maybe you can drive between hubs.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@facelessvixen said:

I think it's good to watch this video just to taper your expectations a bit.

I already do that with 99% of what comes out these days. My skepticism has prevented me from being really excited about games that ended up being disappointments to one degree or another, such as Mass Effect Andromeda, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, No Man's Sky, Destiny 2 (soft of), Metal Gear Solid V, Final Fantasy XV, Star Wars Battlefront II (2017), Need for Speed Payback, Watch_Dogs 1, and the PC version of Nier Automata. But my skepticism has also allowed me to enjoy those games to some extent with their flaws in mind.

But for me, Cyberpunk is in the 1% of games that I have a lot of confidence in due to Projekt RED's reputation and my pretty positive experiences with The Witcher 3, so it would be nice to turn off the skepticism for once and get excited and optimistic about a game that doesn't involve big anime titties Senran Kagura.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I seem to remember Austin talking up what he'd seen quite a bit, Jeff too. (although he tends to not get too hyped about a game until he's played it, which I think is probably a good idea) Vinny was the only one who wasnt over the moon over what he'd seen, which is telling considering he's the only one on staff who has enjoyed CDPR's past work.

Turns out i was entirely wrong about Austin & Jeff being the ones talking about this. Maybe there was a waypoint episode around the same time that i listened to? But re-listening to Dan, Vinny & Brad talking about Cyberpunk, they did often hammer home how familiar the game is. 10m50 , 16m50 & 17m45 were probably the parts that stuck with me. Especially how this game doesn't feel at all like a game that was granted to us from the heavens, but more of a game that could be released the day afterwards.

Loading Video...

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like the new Deus Ex game that I'd been looking for. I wonder how this game will run? The graphics look crazy for an open world game.

applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

More and more I see of the trailer, more deflating I feel about the game. Maybe it's for the better, because it will help adjust expectations.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While this new footage was nowhere near as impressive as last years, I'm still pretty damn hyped. It definitely looks more like a game from this gen now. So I guess you could say it was maybe downgraded some.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.