Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Cyberpunk 2077

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Dec 10, 2020

An open-world action role-playing game by CD Projekt RED based on the pen and paper RPG Cyberpunk 2020.

This could be amazing

• 58 results
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By fjordson

Now that Prey 2 has been delayed, and its development is supposedly going through a lot of trouble, it looks like CD Projekt has taken up the cyberpunk genre reigns. Massive cyberpunk-esque cities are alarmingly absent in gaming, despite being completely awesome as a setting. Can't wait to see what CDPR can do with that idea. After Witcher 2, they can do no wrong in my eyes, so this is already one of my most anticipated games right now.

Here's the video of Marcin Iwinski (CD Projekt's CEO) announcing it this morning at their summer conference:

No Caption Provided

The fact that he referenced "noir" and "Blade Runner" multiple times here just makes me even more excited.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By RedRoach

I've never been a huge fan of Cyberpunk, but anything from CDPR is a day one buy for me. They make fantastic games and they treat their customers better than anyone else in this industry right now.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By DharmaBum

Witcher 2 certainly delivered a mature, non-linear story in a rich, well-realized world - I see this being no different in that regard. Looking forward to their artists shifting from dark fantasy to the Blade Runner cityscape aesthetic. Let's hope for some Vangelis inspired music to top it off. That's good to know their diligence has paid off and allowed them to work on multiple projects at once (still can't wait to continue Geralt's adventures).

lasergreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By lasergreen

The good will they instill in their customers is pretty amazing. They go that extra mile long after they've been given your money.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By McGhee

Snow Crash is one of my all time favorite books and this looks like it could be really awesome.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By fr0br0

Cyberpunk absent in gaming? Weren't there like 4 cyberpunk setting games released this year already?

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By N7

I like Ghost In The Shell. I hope this is like Ghost In The Shell.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Nilazz

I really hope it will be good.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zero_

I'm very hopeful. The Witcher seemed like a series that I could really get into if I was more of a fan of fantasy. But Sci-fi, bring it on.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BlackLagoon

@N7: While there are some similarities in the tech, Ghost in the Shell was always more about political maneuverings and the philosophical implications of new technology on society, and lacks Cyberpunk 2020's dystopian view of a wold falling apart under decadence and unchecked corporate greed. Also due to cyberpsychosis, most of the GitS cast would be complete nutjobs under the Cyberpunk rules.

In terms of anime franchises, Cyberpunk is probably much closer to the original Bubblegum Crisis/AD Police Files OVAs:

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By fjordson
    @Fr0Br0

Cyberpunk absent in gaming? Weren't there like 4 cyberpunk setting games released this year already?

You're not wrong as far as Cyberpunk in general, but I meant more specifically that urban, noir influenced cyberpunk ala Blade Runner (which was a huge influence on Cyberpunk 2020). Prey 2 looked spot on going by what they showed last E3, but who knows how that'll turn out at this point.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic

CD Projekt RED is truly a highly talented and a PASSIONATE game studio.  
    I don't say this much, because it loses its meaning when you say it about every game with some potential, but when it comes to this IP: This could be amazing. 

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By probablytuna

If they maintain the level of production values as those found in The Witcher 2, consider me incredibly excited.

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thesquarepear

That P&P RPG guy should do voice acting. Gametrailers has the full video

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-cyberpunk/730680

I am super hyped about this game, I just hope it's less linear than the Witcher 2.

Is it just me who finds it jarring when people announce their game as Triple A?

DBHErazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DBHErazor

Im superhyped tbh :P Considering how fantastic the Witcher series have been I have nothing but high hopes for this game! <3 CDPR

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fjordson

@N7 said:

I like Ghost In The Shell. I hope this is like Ghost In The Shell.

I think it sounds a bit more like Blade Runner as far as influences from other mediums (not that Ghost in the Shell isn't great).

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By csl316

I'll always root for my countrymen, and these guys have been slowly establishing themselves as an upper tier developer. Looking forward to it.

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By jillsandwich

I still need to pick up Witcher 2 since that's on 360 now, but judging from how much of a sucker I am for cyberpunk/future shit and for the sort of RPG those dudes make, I'm totally in.

As much as I'd like it to launch on all platforms simultaneously, Witcher 2 ended up being a better game techinacally because it was built for PC's first, and ported to console later. I'd be fine with that approach again if it meant I got an even better product a year later.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Vinny_Says

man....they sure like that typeface over at CDProjekt. I know I didn't like the witcher but I am more than willing to give this game a shot because I could see how passionate and invested these polaks are when it comes to their games.

guyver0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By guyver0
    Avatar image for legendarychopchop
    LegendaryChopChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The more cyberpunk games the better. The video game world needs it.

However, Blade Runner is too trite as an inspiration for games, there are more examples out there for good cyberpunk.

I'd be in favor of a proper Shadowrun being back, but if this is the next best thing – I'll take it.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By leebmx

I really hope this game comes out for 360. I am loving the playing the Witcher 2 at the moment. I hope their descion to go to consoles has been rewarded in sales and they can now do this for all upcoming games.

I appreciate PC people might disagree.

EDIT: I think the way they chose to develop games from already established fiction really helps them to create believable and rich worlds. I am really excited for this but I imagine it is a long way off if they are only showing concept art.

Overbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Overbite

I love Cyberpunk and the Witcher guys making it will be awesome. I love how the concept art had dudes in stupid mohawks walking around, thats perfect. Just need to carry around a big clacky keyboard and floppy discs and we will be all set.

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MysteriousFawx

CDPR could release practically anything at this point and I would buy it, its been a long time since a developer has gained my loyalty as much as they have. Mainly thanks to the continued support for released games, free dlc and no invasive DRM. The fact its cyberpunk? I about fell off my chair I came so hard...god yes

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By fjordson

@LegendaryChopChop: Shadowrun Returns will hopefully be out next year! Looks fantastic.

@leebmx said:

I really hope this game comes out for 360. I am loving the playing the Witcher 2 at the moment. I hope their descion to go to consoles has been rewarded in sales and they can now do this for all upcoming games.

I appreciate PC people might disagree.

EDIT: I think the way they chose to develop games from already established fiction really helps them to create believable and rich worlds. I am really excited for this but I imagine it is a long way off if they are only showing concept art.

After Witcher 2, CDPR said hat they had "two multiplatform projects in the works". That was before this announcement, so I'd imagine they were talking about this and possibly Witcher 3. I'd actually be surprised if this didn't hit consoles.

The question is which generation of consoles that'll be, since I have a feeling this is is still pretty early in development.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BBQBram

As someone who's been reading William Gibson for the first time recently, this is exactly what I was waiting for. Bring it on!

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Doctorchimp

@BlackLagoon: @N7:

Not even close guys...

They're gonna go for this....

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jimbo

Sold. Most exciting developer in the business right now, and one of the few who make it easy to feel good about buying from them.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By N7
    @Doctorchimp: I'LL TAKE IT!
    Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Morrow

Sounds like an interesting RPG... too bad it's only for PC :[

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BlackLagoon

@Doctorchimp said:

Not even close guys...

Really, because I was under the impression they were going for this - the Cyberpunk 2020 RPG. Blade Runner was an influence on it, to be sure, but hardly the only one. I mean, I don't remember any netrunners in BR. Or cybered up solos with smartlinked weapons. Or rockerboys in flamboyant 80s-style fahsion rebelling against the corporate hegemony... etc. Unless you've got some inside info that they're abandoning significant parts of the Cyberpunk setting, which would contradict what they said during the launch press conference, I dare say that Bubblegum Crisis is an equally, if not more so, correct indication of what to expect.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By Marz

i'm in

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @Fr0Br0 said:

And hundreds upon hundreds of military shooters and fantasy games in the last decade.  Where do i sign up?
    2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

@Morrow said:

I doubt this won't be on consoles at some point. Maybe a little later like Witcher 2 but well ... thats what PC gamers have to endure with most games these days ;) ...

When it comes to Cyberpunk ... I would have prefered Shadowrun since I have a deep personal connection to that setting, but there will be the SR kickstarter game. So I get the best of both worlds. Anything from CD Project will be a day one buy anyways.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#35  Edited By Cirdain

Always the most stunning font work.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Harkat

I visited CD Projekt at Gamescom last year. Definitely some of the coolest, friendliest devs around. So much free beer. So much GOOD free beer.

EDIT: OH GOD MIKE PONDSMITH'S VOICE IS THE BEST THING

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#37  Edited By Cirdain

@Harkat said:

I visited CD Projekt at Gamescom last year. Definitely some of the coolest, friendliest devs around. So much free beer. So much GOOD free beer.

EDIT: OH GOD MIKE PONDSMITH'S VOICE IS THE BEST THING

He better be a voice in the game.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#38  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@BlackLagoon said:

@Doctorchimp said:

Not even close guys...

Really, because I was under the impression they were going for this - the Cyberpunk 2020 RPG. Blade Runner was an influence on it, to be sure, but hardly the only one. I mean, I don't remember any netrunners in BR. Or cybered up solos with smartlinked weapons. Or rockerboys in flamboyant 80s-style fahsion rebelling against the corporate hegemony... etc. Unless you've got some inside info that they're abandoning significant parts of the Cyberpunk setting, which would contradict what they said during the launch press conference, I dare say that Bubblegum Crisis is an equally, if not more so, correct indication of what to expect.

Yeah, Blade Runner set the visual style for many Cyberpunk works, and shares several themes with them, but Blade Runner came out before the term was coined, and having been released in 1981 (and probably shot one or two years prior to that) it was made before home computers and networking started getting widespread. While the very core themes of Cyberpunk can be distilled down to Man vs Machine and High tech vs Low life, where Blade Runner would fit in (as would a few other dystopian sci-fi movies from the 70's, like Demon Seed, Collosus: the Forbin Project and of course the 1920's classic Metropolis), I think it took until a year or two after Blade Runner before the rise of Internet style networks, hacking, virtual reality, transhumanism and cybernetics that really defined William Gibson's and most later Cyberpunk writer's works and which really distinguishes later Cyberpunk from Philip K Dick's, Ray Bradbury's, Harlan Ellison's and many other pre-cyberpunk author's works.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By fjordson

@Morrow said:

CDPR has said before that they have been working on two multiplatform projects. This is presumably one of those, along with Witcher 3, so I don't see this being a PC exclusive. At least not permanently.

@BlackLagoon said:

@Doctorchimp said:

Not even close guys...

To be fair, both CDPR's CEO and Pondsmith talk about Blade Runner as a reference point for the game and the original P&P RPG, as well as being their favourite movie. Though that may just be an easy name to drop at a press conference for media. I've never actually played Cyberpunk 2020, so you probably know a lot more than me as far as the similarities between the two.

I do see some parallels at least visually between Blade Runner's Los Angeles and Cyberpunk's "Night City", with the advertising blimp, the neon, the Asian influence, etc.

No Caption Provided

But again, I haven't played the original RPG, so that art might not speak much to the actual content within.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SlasherMan

I'll take anything CDPR throws at me.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By zaccheus

I'm too lazy to try and find out, but have they said how long they have been working on this? Did they start after Witcher 2 or were these games developed in parallel? I have big hopes for anything CDRP does at this point, but if this is ways off I have to keep the hype down.

Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Totori

So future boneing?

Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Branwulf

After the devotion they have shown to the PC and improving their own game with the Witcher 1 and 2 I will gladly buy another game they make. Witcher 2 was in my opinion the best game released last year behind Dark Souls.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By huser

@Fjordson said:

To be fair, both CDPR's CEO and Pondsmith talk about Blade Runner as a reference point for the game and the original P&P RPG, as well as being their favourite movie. Though that may just be an easy name to drop at a press conference for media. I've never actually played Cyberpunk 2020, so you probably know a lot more than me as far as the similarities between the two.

I do see some parallels at least visually between Blade Runner's Los Angeles and Cyberpunk's "Night City", with the advertising blimp, the neon, the Asian influence, etc.

No Caption Provided

But again, I haven't played the original RPG, so that art might not speak much to the actual content within.

Much more subtlety to things. Everything's generally terrible, but 50's style suburbia (maintained by patrolling gunships and military strength barriers) exist, and not ALL places look so stereotypical. As an aside, normal people can still be pretty, even healthy, unlike in Blade Runner where only the Replicants were attractive (well. other than Deckard, but...well you know). Amusing you put that specific image up.

Night City in Cyberpunk is a planned city in Northern California a bit south of San Jose on the Coast and is the base setting of the universe hence why it of ALL the cities will look stereotypical. They mention in that splat book that say Denver and San Francisco are clean and well run (one by a motivated oligarchy the other by a weird autocratic democracy), and Chicago and Detroit are WORSE than Deckard's LA. Japan and most of Europe is pretty alright, but god help the Mideast and SE Asia. In the blurb about the Mallplex of Night City they mention a little shop run by two old Tech geezers that are pretty clearly Jobs and Woz. I posited THAT was the departure point for our universes.

Then you get stuff like Cyberpunk: Night's Edge....about Vampires, Werewolves, and psychics throwing down against chrome, hot lead, and Netrunners.

SuperiorArmbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SuperiorArmbar

@AhmadMetallic said:

CD Projekt RED is truly a highly talented and a PASSIONATE game studio. I don't say this much, because it loses its meaning when you say it about every game with some potential, but when it comes to this IP: This could be amazing.

They definitely have a mentality where they are concerned with the quality of the product as a whole and not just the game that has been absent since the 90's. I remember as a kid finding my dad's old Ultima games that came with all sorts of stuff; highly detailed instruction manuals, cloth maps, little trinkets etc. Those games were trying to sell a a much more all encompassing experience rather than a dash to the end of the story. CD Projeckt seems to have that same attitude and I really appreciate that about them as an old school PC gamer

SuperiorArmbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SuperiorArmbar

@Fr0Br0 said:

I could be missing it, but the only game in recent memory that I can think of that I would say had a cyberpunk setting is Deus Ex.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BlackLagoon

@SuperiorArmbar said:

I could be missing it, but the only game in recent memory that I can think of that I would say had a cyberpunk setting is Deus Ex.

Though even Deus Ex had a sleek, modern look to it. Classic cyberpunk, including the RPG, is very rooted in the 80s,with loud and garish colors, big and clunky technology, wires everywhere, etc. I can't really think of any recent games that fully committed to that style.

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By AnimalFather

my panties are soaking wet now

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49  Edited By BoG

I am really lookin forward to this, if only because of the developer and the setting. I know nothing of the pen and paper RPG, but who cares.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By fjordson

@Zaccheus said:

I'm too lazy to try and find out, but have they said how long they have been working on this? Did they start after Witcher 2 or were these games developed in parallel? I have big hopes for anything CDRP does at this point, but if this is ways off I have to keep the hype down

Hard to say, but it's possible that they've been working on this since before Witcher 2 came out since this isn't the Witcher dev team. There are some core CDPR veterans that have come over to Cyberpunk, but on the whole it's a different team than The Witcher games.

Though the fact that we've only gotten two pieces of concept art could also mean that they've barely started working on it. Who knows right now. I do hope it's sooner rather than later.

@huser said:

Much more subtlety to things. Everything's generally terrible, but 50's style suburbia (maintained by patrolling gunships and military strength barriers) exist, and not ALL places look so stereotypical. As an aside, normal people can still be pretty, even healthy, unlike in Blade Runner where only the Replicants were attractive (well. other than Deckard, but...well you know). Amusing you put that specific image up.

Night City in Cyberpunk is a planned city in Northern California a bit south of San Jose on the Coast and is the base setting of the universe hence why it of ALL the cities will look stereotypical. They mention in that splat book that say Denver and San Francisco are clean and well run (one by a motivated oligarchy the other by a weird autocratic democracy), and Chicago and Detroit are WORSE than Deckard's LA. Japan and most of Europe is pretty alright, but god help the Mideast and SE Asia. In the blurb about the Mallplex of Night City they mention a little shop run by two old Tech geezers that are pretty clearly Jobs and Woz. I posited THAT was the departure point for our universes.

Then you get stuff like Cyberpunk: Night's Edge....about Vampires, Werewolves, and psychics throwing down against chrome, hot lead, and Netrunners.

Interesting. Thanks for the insight. Sounds like a fascinating setting. I wonder there this game is going to take place then. Night City would be awesome, but seeing Detroit or Chicago could also be pretty cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.