Follow

Cyberpunk

Concept »

Cyberpunk is an aesthetic choice that is employed in many different media, it focuses on technology and how that technology encroaches on our natural, daily lives.

What's your favorite cyberpunk game (series)?

• 66 results
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What's your favorite cyberpunk game (series)? (301 votes)

Dreamfall 3%
    Blade Runner 7%
    Syndicate 4%
    Deus Ex 42%
    Snatcher 5%
    Hm. None of those actually. There's another game I favor that's not listed. 19%
    Cyberpunk? Cyberpunk sucks, so none... 3%
    A mixture of the choices above. 5%
    Every cyberpunk ever. I can't get enough cyberpunk! 12%

For starters, I know I could have added the 'allow multiple answer' instead of the mixture choices, but I didn't want to. I also want to make it clear here that I am simply referring to games in which have cyberpunk cityscape settings, so not all games that can be considered cyberpunk can be included. The thread is a bit random, but I got the inspiration to do it since I'm looking for cyberpunk concept art for my desktop background. There are more I could have added for sure, but I just stopped and put the 'there's another game I favor' option.

• 
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Remember Me. I know a lot of people didn't care much for it and I will absolutely agree it has issues, but I loooooved it.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

It might have been Bladerunner had I been able to watch Vinny, Drew, and Dave do a whole playthrough. Really enjoyed what they shown and is some of my favourite LP content on the site. As is I'll probably hafta vote for Deus Ex by default, and even then it's only for Human Revolution. Though I do really quite like the aesthetic anyway.

NinjaPartTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NinjaPartTime

Hard Reset has a cool looking environment in it.

Forgot: I actually voted for Deus Ex. I thought the first one was good, but liked the 2nd better. I know most people don't like Invisible War, but I really get into walking around and just checking everything out and I thought it felt like more of a cyberpunk game than the first Deus Ex. Human Revolution is probably my favorite of the series, though. Shadowrun on SNES or Genesis (they're both way different) are probably my favorite cyberpunk games. Shadowrun Returns seems good and I need to finish it. Dreamfall is one of my favorite games of all time, but I actually didn't even know it fell into the cyberpunk genre. System Shock 2 and Omikron: The Nomad Soul are two more of my favorite games, though I'm not sure if System Shock 2 falls into the genre either. I've been playing Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, for the 3DS, off and on for awhile now and it's pretty damn awesome. It has some great 80's style synth in it, too.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Deus Ex is the only one I'm familiar with at all so I have to throw my vote that way. I did really enjoy Human Revolution though so I'm more than happy to vote for it. I need to get started on Shadowrun since its just sitting in my library.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: You ever play the first two Deus Ex? Or you just don't like them?

@mentaldisruption: Forgot about Shadowrun.

@ninjaparttime: @babychoochoo: Hard Reset and Remember Me are two games I was going to add, but didn't and just bunched it into the 'another' choice. I never played Remember Me.

duke_of_the_bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shadowrun on the Genesis is one of my favorite RPGs of all time. It's what made me love cyberpunk. The Shadowrun Returns games are rad too, though.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@ntm: Never played 'em. I never even knew they existed until long after they were released as I didn't start following the games industry until around 2008. From all I've seen, however, they don't look like the sorts of games I could dig into these days anywhoo.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing quite beats Deus Ex. I'm replaying the first right now and it's still just so, so good. Syndicate probably takes second.

Also, I don't really like it myself, but I feel like Shadowrun should be on it's own in this poll somewhere. It's become a pretty hefty franchise, especially in recent years.

ClockworkTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know enough series to make a choice but Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Shadowrun Dragonfall are neck and neck as my favorite games of the last few years.

There's something to be said about my adoration for this genre that my most anticipated games are Mankind Divided, Cyberpunk 2077, and VA-11 HALL-A

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The only correct answer is the original Deus Ex.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like you, making me pick between Deus Ex and Syndicate =(

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

System Shock 2 son. Although I never played it, that Ghost in the Shell game on PS1 looked rather dope. Also, I bought Read Only Memories recently but have yet to start it. Describing it as "like Snatcher" on the Bombcast sold me.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is the only one that comes to mind for me right now, and I really loved that game.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baka_shinji17: I didn't add System Shock (or its sequel), because it doesn't fit the 'cyberpunk cityscape' choice.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@ntm: Fair enough. But since you mentioned cityscapes, that reminded me of Neon Struct: die Augen der Welt. It's described as a sort of minimalist take on something like Deus Ex. It looked interesting to me at least.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By cornbredx

Dreamfall isn't cyberpunk.

Anyway, Probably Blade Runner.

Oh, wait, no. Crusader No Remorse is hands down my favorite! It has everything I loved in the 90s, from cheesy story, to bad gorey effects, to FMV, ham fisted acting, and I loved everything about that game!

Blade Runner was really good too, though.

Edit: BTW I voted for "every cyberpunk ever". I love cyberpunk and how cheesy it generally is. I even liked Johnny Mnemonic (the game and the movie).

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 10

I voted for Deus Ex, as it's the best overall cyberpunk series IMO. Great games, interesting universe, and lots of cyberpunk.

Remember Me is pretty damn impressive too, though. While I think the gameplay and story are extremely rough around the edges, it has one of the best cyberpunk looks I've ever seen: well-realized future tech grafted onto beautiful Parisian architecture. I want another one of those games solely to see more of the world.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NTM

@cornbredx: Stark, the human setting/world is cyberpunk. I'm mainly referring to games in which have cyberpunk settings.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zeik

As much as I like Cyberpunk as a setting, this topic reminds me that there aren't really that many great ones, that I've played. Here's hoping CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 is as awesome as I hope.

I liked Human Revolution, but I don't think I could call it a favorite anything. (Besides favorite Deus Ex.)

I picked up Shadowrun: Dragonfall recently, and that seems pretty cool. Need to get back to that soon actually, but that has the potential to be my favorite.

Shin Megami Tensei has had some strong cyberpunk elements in the past, which would almost make it my de facto choice, but Soul Hackers, by far the most cyberpunky of the lot, isn't quite up there with my favorites.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By ajamafalous

where the fuck is hard reset

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

F-Zero

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

You forgot to include Cyberpunk 2077, 'cuz obviously it's going to be everyone's favorite cyberpunk series.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NTM

@theht: F Zero... Hm. I don't know if I'd consider that one, but maybe. I guess I don't know enough about F Zero. It's certainly futuristic.

@ajamafalous: I thought about adding it, as I said, but I just bunched it in with the 'other' choice.

@ch3burashka:Thought about adding that as a choice actually, saying something like 'Cyberpunk 2077. It's not out, but I already know it's going to be my favorite.'

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm real excited for Cyberpunk 2077

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although I didn't much play the first two I did enjoy Human Revolution and I'm really looking forward to Mankind Divided. I also enjoy the Dreamfall series a lot.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyberpunk 2077. Yeah I know there is no way of knowing what kind of game is gonna be, but come on! It's CDProjekt Red!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@babychoochoo: fellow Remember Me lovers unite. That game deserved more recognition.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Syndicate. Too bad we'll never probably see more of that.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shadowrun

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By goonage

No Mirror's Edge?

EDIT: Like others mentioned, I'm also super excited for Cyberpunk 2077.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goonage: It's also one I was thinking about, but I don't know if I can't call that cyberpunk (as atmospherically, it's basically the total opposite), it's just futuristic.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I love Human Revolution because when looking for their copy of Neuromancer and Blade Runner the art team instead found a bunch of issues of Vogue and Wired.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably Old World Blues.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Cyberpunk is such a cool setting but I can't recall playing a single cyberpunk game that I've liked.

saucygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, there was a bladerunner game, how the hell would that even work?

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

System Shock

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

How is System Shock 2 not on the list when Shodan is the icon for the cyberpunk category?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the look of Remember me even though the fighting system wasn't that good but Deus ex is probably my favorite at least when it comes to gameplay.

Theidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shadowrun, Genesis edges out SNES. Returns and it's sequels are great too.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: Just curious- what about the atmosphere doesn't suggest cyberpunk in ME?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By bybeach

I'm A bit embarrassed because all the cyberpunk I really know are the usual suspects. Deus Ex of course. SS2 if allowed, and Hard Reset. I keep looking at E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy on my oversized Steam library...

I also have Syndicate on disc but haven't gotten around to it, so curious why Jeff liked it so much.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#43 fisk0  Moderator

Leaning towards the final poll option "I love everything cyberpunk", my absolute favorites weren't listed though, would probably be Circuit's Edge, Rise of the Dragon and Neuromancer. There's also Perihelion: The Prophecy, which is a little more borderline cyberpunk-ish, but leaning more towards more traditional dark sci-fi. So far, no cyberpunk games I've played have quite hit all the notes I wish they would either, but many of Wadjet Eye's games get pretty close too. Conceptually I guess Hired Guns and Project Eden are the closest to my ideal cyberpunk game, but neither of them are quite there in execution.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#44  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
    Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Right now Shadowrun: Dragonfall

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By ArtisanBreads

It's for sure Deus Ex as a game. The original is the best game ever I think. As a series? I think 2 and HR both are not good games so I'm mixed. Still voted it because of the original.

Overall though I just love the genre and enjoy the other universes too so maybe I should've voted for that. I am really happy it has become popular again because it is very fitting for video games.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By confusedowl

This thread reminds me that I haven't played many cyberpunk games despite liking the setting. I'll go with Deus Ex simply because it's one of the only ones I have some experience with.

grandCurator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shadowrun and Cyberpunk are really rad. Shadowrun for its use of modern fantasy and Cyberpunk for being one of the best in class Cyberpunk settings.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RonGalaxy

Only ever played deus ex: human revolution, but out of the ones listed it really nails the look/atmosphere of proper cyberpunk. Grimy ass, smoke filled cities with a futuristic veneer and a dark underbelly.

nopnip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shadowrun<3

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.