- 7 time NASCAR Winston Cup (now called Sprint Cup) champion: 1980, 1986, 1987, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994
- 1998 Daytona 500 winner
- 1995 Brickyard 400 winner
- 3 time All-star Race winner: 1987, 1990, 1993
- 6 time Budweiser Shootout winner: 1980, 1986, 1988, 1991, 1993, 1995
- 2010 NASCAR Hall of Fame Inductee (Inaugural class)
Sprint Cup Statistics
- Best points finish: 1st
- First win: 1979 Southeastern 500 - Bristol
- Last Win: 2000 Winston 500 - Talladega
- Most wins in a season: 11 (1987)
- Total Sprint Cup wins: 76
1998 Daytona 500
In his 20th attempt Dale finally won the great American race. Some of commentator Mike Joy's memorable quotes include:
"20 years of trying, 20 years of frustration, Dale Earnhardt will come to the Caution flag to win the Daytona 500...FINALLY!!!"
"Look, out on pit road! Every man on every crew has come out to the edge of pit lane to congratulate the man who has dominated everything there is to win in this sport, except this race; until today"
Since his passing many drivers have paid homage to Dale. Some Include:
- His son, Dale Earnhardt Jr., drove a number 3 car in the Nationwide series in 2002 (February) and 2010 (July) at Daytona to honor his late father. He won both races.
- On April 21st 2007 at Phoenix Jeff Gordon captured his 76th career win, tieing him with Earnhardt. Jeff drove around with a number 3 flag to honor Dale.
- On February of 2011 Michael Waltrip drove his #15 truck to victory at Daytona in NASCAR's Camping World Truck series. The win came 10 years to the day that Waltrip won the Daytona 500 where his boss, and friend, Dale Earnhardt died.
- Though his name is never mentioned and a reason is never stated; in the film Zombieland Woody Harrelson's character paints a number 3 on every vehicle he drives.