Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dan Ryckert

Person » credited in 4 games

Senior Editor at Giant Bomb from 2014 to 2020. Formerly of Game Informer. Author, Guinness World Record holder, lifelong wrestling mark, and failed musician. After a brief stint as Podcast Producer at WWE Ryckert returned to help guide the next generation of Giant Bomb.

How Dan Ryckert Affects the Way I Play Games

marzz4967

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By marzz4967

Today I had a moment, while I was playing through a side-mission on Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes, where I thought like Dan Ryckert.

I had just taken out the two targets I had to take out, and an alarm had just been raised. I had started to slowly crawl my way through the base towards the extraction point. Two things then happened, nearly at the same time- I got a call from Kaz, and he told me that I could either call for a helicopter or exit the base on my own for extraction; and I slowly turned to the left and saw a jeep driving towards my position. In that brief moment, my brain had its own personal tiny Dan Ryckert going "MAN THAT'D BE SO COOL! DO IT!". So I did.

I popped out of cover, entered Reflex mode, and popped all 3 guys in the jeep with headshots. Then, I stole the jeep, drove it through the base, which is now on full alert, ran over three guys, crashed through a gate, and exited the base. I feel like I satisfied my Inner Ryckert.

So now I'm playing through Metal Gear Solid 3 again. I'm not gonna take a slow and steady, stealthy approach to it. I'm going to play it like a cool dude would, and try to satisfy that Inner Ryckert. I'll have plenty of time to play MGS3, while I'm cooking 100 chicken breasts Sous-Vide.

danryckert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 danryckert  Staff

You now know what it's like to live.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I play MGS stealthy but always kill dudes like a cool guy at least if I can.

But going an action route is not a bad way to play. I would sometimes go full action in 3 because it was fun to use the MG especially with Snake's yell. One of my favorite parts of the game. The shotgun is also pretty fun to use.

The game was always made to be playable that way so nothing to be ashamed of. It can be fun. In 4 the controls supported it well and V does even further.

A lot of times people get caught up in little ideas or rules instead of just having fun and you should just try to have fun and do whatever is cool. I think getting in big shoot outs will be pretty great in V so I am going to let those play out.

marzz4967

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: Yeah, the controls in Ground Zeroes are amazing for action gaming. It took me FOREVER to get used to it though, because my brain was like "Hey, this is a Metal Gear game, you need to press like 4 buttons to shoot this gun". But once I got used to them? Awesome.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ArtisanBreads
    @marzz4967 said:

@artisanbreads: Yeah, the controls in Ground Zeroes are amazing for action gaming. It took me FOREVER to get used to it though, because my brain was like "Hey, this is a Metal Gear game, you need to press like 4 buttons to shoot this gun". But once I got used to them? Awesome.

Yeah I agree. I really like playing Ground Zeroes. I don't love playing in the mission set ups and the base area but I can image this expanded out into a full game would be great. I do enjoy the shooting and also the mobility. When you haul ass and start scaling stuff and jumping on roofs it's really fun. It will be fun to play as an action game.

I think those moments could be really good in an open world game. I'm hoping it feels like Red Faction Guerilla where you are outgunned and you need to really be on the run and stay moving. So personally I am embracing all the elements of V. I am not going to obsess about a stealth run as much as I usually do.

marzz4967

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danryckert: The hardest part is trying to figure out how to hold the 40 and use the controller at the same time.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the few times I've played this game with a fresh save I've always gone through all stealthy the first time, then ran around shirtless like a fevered maniac with the patroit, mowing down every commie bastard in sight.

MGS3 is a cool game for cool dudes.

marzz4967

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atomicoldman: You know what else is a cool game for cool dudes? Metal Gear Rising. Raiden's not a weiner in this one, he's a badass ninja robot. I really wish Dan and Drew had played at least a little bit of it on Scanlon. I cut a goddamn MG Ray in half with my sword, AFTER I suplexed it!

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I played through MGS2 and 3 after the first Metal Gear Scanlon to re-acquaint myself with the franchise, and the whole time I had a tiny Drew and Dan commentating in my head. I don't think I'll ever play an MGS game again without L'il Dan cheering me on.

BBOYS2231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played the entire series mainly stealth but after watching Metal Gear Scanlon I have absolutely been taking the cool action guy approach to my Ground Zeroes playthroughs. Kind of enjoying myself...maybe too much :)

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Getz

A cool dude WOULD play slow and stealthy, not run in with no plan like some kinda Dan Rykert

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Satisfy your Ryckert

Snickers

relyt55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By relyt55

Dan lets us unless our inner monsters. Praise and long live Lord Ryckert!!! The Lord Monster!!

Dan is the monster we deserve. I love this guy and his enthusiasm in all things.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Maybe Metal Gear Scanlon was just the Patriots way of delivering a mutated FOXDIE to us all to turn us all into Dan Ryckert?!

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

I satisfy my inner Ryckert every day. Though, I'm afraid the ritualistic sacrifice of goats and other small livestock won't be enough for it anymore soon.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

@marzz4967 said:

@atomicoldman: You know what else is a cool game for cool dudes? Metal Gear Rising. Raiden's not a weiner in this one, he's a badass ninja robot. I really wish Dan and Drew had played at least a little bit of it on Scanlon. I cut a goddamn MG Ray in half with my sword, AFTER I suplexed it!

Agreed. I'm a super-stealth guy with no killing dudes if possible in MGS, but I loooove being an ultra-badass cut-stuff-to-OTT-metal-soundtrack guy in Rising. What a great game.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marzz4967: I have access to it through family share on Steam if my friend would ever exit out of goddamn Time Clickers.

Avatar image for deactivated-63e39f84edec3
    deactivated-63e39f84edec3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That actually is a thing that I hate about Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes. You are graded. And the game is build out that not killing anyone merits a good grade.

I know I can play the game the way I want but it sucks to be told at the end of each mission: Well you did it, BUT BADLY SO YOU GET A "C". NEXT TIME DON'T KILL THOSE DUDES.

Guybrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@narx: Yes! This really annoys me too, especially in Peace Walker. Ground Zeroes is a little more lenient on the killings. You can still kill a couple dudes and get an S in Ground Zeroes.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Dan_CiTi

@narx: every game since MGS1 has had a grading system. It's been almost the same since 1, and 2 added tranq.

Anyway yeah it's fun to fuck around in MGS games. I just don't like the new alert system in MGSV where once you're seen everyone in the base knows exactly where you are, and in GZ there's not many places to hide. In TPP the world is huge and you can just leave a base so it's not so bad, but in GZ it really wasn't fun especially since there was no alert status countdown to go off of.

MFJubes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@narx said:

That actually is a thing that I hate about Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes. You are graded. And the game is build out that not killing anyone merits a good grade.

I know I can play the game the way I want but it sucks to be told at the end of each mission: Well you did it, BUT BADLY SO YOU GET A "C". NEXT TIME DON'T KILL THOSE DUDES.

Yeah at first this bothered me, too. Just gotta remember: dopeness is its own reward.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Pffffft. Stealth is garbage. Snake needs a third arm, solely for more guns.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By DocHaus

@dan_citi: *pushes up nerd glasses*

Actually, the letter grades weren't really introduced into the game until Peace Walker. Before that, you were given codenames/animals as your grade based on your style of play, but only a few that made you go "wow I really sucked" (i.e. Chicken from MGS4).

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#28  Edited By musubi

Sneaky dudes are the coolest dudes. What is cooler than sneaking up behind a guy and snapping his neck?

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Vinny had the same impact on my playing of Dark Souls.

marzz4967

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixavd: Patriots? You mean the La Li Lu Le Lo?

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By Dixavd

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.