Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dance Central

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Nov 04, 2010

Made by famed music-game developer Harmonix Music Systems, this is the original dancing rhythm title that utilized the Kinect for Xbox 360.

Dance Central DLC Priced Higher Than Rock Band DLC

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Edited By mattbodega

When Harmonix's Dance Central launches alongside Microsoft's Kinect hardware this November, expect to see a Rock Band-style music store where you'll be able to download additional tunes and moves for the game. You should also expect those additional routines to cost more than a five-instrument Rock Band track. In an interview with Joystiq, Dance Central Project Lead Kasson Crooker revealed that DLC for Dance Central will cost more than $2, the current going rate for individual Rock Band tracks. 

How much would you pay for newer, flyer moves? 

== TEASER ==According to Crooker, the increased DLC price is not simply Harmonix trying to goose consumers for extra cash, but rather the result of the increased cost and challenge of generating additional Dance Central content. Crooker explains:

"Because [Dance Central DLC] comes with a brand new unique routine with the three difficulties, we have to: engage the choreographer, find the song, license the song, come up with a routine, get them into a [motion capture] suit, shoot all the choreography, integrate the animation, build the filter system, the flash cards, the [voiceover] for 'Break it Down' -- it's a pretty elaborate process that is not only a lot more expensive, but a lot more time consuming."

While I imagine it's easy to read a story about a developer increasing the cost of their DLC and subsequently freak out about the price, Crooker's point doesn't sound like a cause for consumer alarm to me. After all, I can't imagine how costly it must be to generate brand new animation in a very short period of time, let alone hire and mo-cap a choreographer.   

Also, Dance Central DLC may be able to justify its higher price if it addresses the problem that Rock Band wasn't able to overcome; that the gameplay in the series has remained unchanged. No matter what DLC goes into Rock Band, you're still strumming notes as they come down the note lane. But if each new Dance Central track comes with brand new dance routines to master, that has the potential to make each new piece of DLC wildly different from each other. The new gameplay in each track might make DLC a more compelling purchase than Rock Band DLC, simply because you'll probably play each new track differently. We'll see how it all plays out when Dance Central launches on November 4.
    mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mattbodega

When Harmonix's Dance Central launches alongside Microsoft's Kinect hardware this November, expect to see a Rock Band-style music store where you'll be able to download additional tunes and moves for the game. You should also expect those additional routines to cost more than a five-instrument Rock Band track. In an interview with Joystiq, Dance Central Project Lead Kasson Crooker revealed that DLC for Dance Central will cost more than $2, the current going rate for individual Rock Band tracks. 

== TEASER ==According to Crooker, the increased DLC price is not simply Harmonix trying to goose consumers for extra cash, but rather the result of the increased cost and challenge of generating additional Dance Central content. Crooker explains:

"Because [Dance Central DLC] comes with a brand new unique routine with the three difficulties, we have to: engage the choreographer, find the song, license the song, come up with a routine, get them into a [motion capture] suit, shoot all the choreography, integrate the animation, build the filter system, the flash cards, the [voiceover] for 'Break it Down' -- it's a pretty elaborate process that is not only a lot more expensive, but a lot more time consuming."

While I imagine it's easy to read a story about a developer increasing the cost of their DLC and subsequently freak out about the price, Crooker's point doesn't sound like a cause for consumer alarm to me. After all, I can't imagine how costly it must be to generate brand new animation in a very short period of time, let alone hire and mo-cap a choreographer.   

Also, Dance Central DLC may be able to justify its higher price if it addresses the problem that Rock Band wasn't able to overcome; that the gameplay in the series has remained unchanged. No matter what DLC goes into Rock Band, you're still strumming notes as they come down the note lane. But if each new Dance Central track comes with brand new dance routines to master, that has the potential to make each new piece of DLC wildly different from each other. The new gameplay in each track might make DLC a more compelling purchase than Rock Band DLC, simply because you'll probably play each new track differently. We'll see how it all plays out when Dance Central launches on November 4.
    ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By ZmillA
    @Diyashi said:
    " hmm "

now tell us how you really feel
    Avatar image for thecreamfilling
    TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TheCreamFilling

I guess that makes sense.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By EpicSteve

Despite the justification of the price, I still don't see myself spending more than $2.00 per song and routine. Even in RockBand I thought $2.00 was a bit much.

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Shady

That DLC comparison is rather poor. In fact, that makes it sound like they are the exact same thing since at the end of the day you're still limited to just mimicking the moves the games tells you to. The gameplay isn't going to radically change with any of the DLC.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By Red

If you were talking about before Rock Band 3, I guess I would kind of understand. Instead of mapping green and blue chords, they have to map different gestures specific to the song. 

But now that Rock Band 3's coming out, a game that has to map around 36 different pathways for a song (including all difficulties, instruments and pro modes) and is probably going to still cost two bucks a song, this is a little less welcome.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

"After all, I can't imagine how costly it must be to generate brand new animation in a very short period of time, let alone higher and mo-cap a choreographer. "

Something ain't right here.

samsaturday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By samsaturday

Hey, another reason to not buy this game!

DizzyMedal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By DizzyMedal

@filthreaper:
    A noble stance, but I'm afraid you may be disappointed.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JJOR64

:(

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By 234r2we232

Well, there goes Dance Central Network - motion capture is still as expensive as ever, it seems. This looks to be the most promising of all the Kinect title announced and if I were more of the dancing type, I would so pick this up, but alas. *cuddles his plastic instruments*

@Diyashi

said:

" hmm "

Thanks for the insight. Hope the points were worth it, bro.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I appreciate that the game will come with new moves, which would really be the draw... but considering they've already licensed songs for Rock Band(s), exactly how much is it going to cost to put it in Dance Central?  Do you have to pay No Doubt twice to put Hella Good in Dance Central and Rock Band?  Then MTV/Harmonix needs to start working out better deals.

Furthermore, do we care that much about licensed songs?  At a certain point, I'm just going to want the game to give me new moves to dance to a beat.  You're telling me you can't generate some dance music in-house at Harmonix of all places?

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By landon

Well...that makes this  instantly less appealing.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Ragdrazi

Well, this is a shocker. Bleed us dry mentality keeps on a'rollin'.

Teirdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Teirdome

They better have really good previews in the DLC store.  I see a lot fewer people impulse buying at a price point unless there is adequate justification.

jos1ah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By jos1ah

After reading the explanation by "Crooker" it makes a little more sense. However, I'd like to see house music or made up tracks in there too. Eff royalty/licensing issues...I'm not that into the majority of pop music, but wanna dance and learn moves, coordination, etc.
    nunsandroses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By nunsandroses
    @Brodehouse said:
    " I appreciate that the game will come with new moves, which would really be the draw... but considering they've already licensed songs for Rock Band(s), exactly how much is it going to cost to put it in Dance Central?  Do you have to pay No Doubt twice to put Hella Good in Dance Central and Rock Band?  Then MTV/Harmonix needs to start working out better deals. "
    Yes, they do have to pay twice. There's a reason exporting songs from RB1 to RB2  (and Lego: RB to RB2, GD:RB to RB2, GHWT to GH5, etc. etc.) cost money; all the songs had to be relicensed for the new game. That's how it works for every rhythm game, and that's not really a matter of Harmonix/MTV working out better deals, it's just how the record labels seem to be doing it.
    MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MisterMouse

not really surprised, I feel like they have to do more with this DLC than Rockband DLC

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jos1ah said:
    "  However, I'd like to see house music or made up tracks in there too. Eff royalty/licensing issues...I'm not that into the majority of pop music, but wanna dance and learn moves, coordination, etc. "
    That's how I feel.  I realized after buying a Pearl Jam album on Rock Band 2 that it's not the music I like in Rock Band, it's the actual gameplay.  I probably had more fun with the tracks I'd never heard of before than I did Ten, which I love.

I bought a Rush album I don't even like just because I knew it would be killer on drums.
    shinali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By shinali
    @Red said:
    "But now that Rock Band 3's coming out, a game that has to map around 36 different pathways for a song (including all difficulties, instruments and pro modes) and is probably going to still cost two bucks a song, this is a little less welcome. "
    Yes because putting in the song's tabulature is just so much more difficult!

Even with the pro modes, it's only probably pennies more to do for each track.
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#22  Edited By skrutop

I already have Thriller down, so I don't need the mocap.  Can they release that for free?

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GreggD
    @Brodehouse said:

" @jos1ah said:

"  However, I'd like to see house music or made up tracks in there too. Eff royalty/licensing issues...I'm not that into the majority of pop music, but wanna dance and learn moves, coordination, etc. "
    That's how I feel.  I realized after buying a Pearl Jam album on Rock Band 2 that it's not the music I like in Rock Band, it's the actual gameplay.  I probably had more fun with the tracks I'd never heard of before than I did Ten, which I love.  I bought a Rush album I don't even like just because I knew it would be killer on drums. "
    Ten is pretty slow and plodding, which I echoed in a Gamespot article when they announced it for download. Needless to say, I was downvoted by about 100 or so people, as mine was the first comment.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Red said:

But now that Rock Band 3's coming out, a game that has to map around 36 different pathways for a song (including all difficulties, instruments and pro modes) and is probably going to still cost two bucks a song, this is a little less welcome. "

Perhaps we're in for a surprise on the RockBand 3 front as well.
    Blueblur1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Blueblur1

As a potential Dance Central buyer, this news disappoints me. Boo, HMX!

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26  Edited By granderojo

I'm fine with paying for good content, let's hope they offer good content.    

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27  Edited By CoolDrMoney

I totally uploaded the image used for this story's thumbnail. Thank you, thank you.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Toxin066

Who needs DLC? Lady Gaga is already on disc.

dirtyword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dirtyword

There's no way to read the second half of this article in the iPhone app I bought from you!    

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Zereta

Seems like a justified reason to pay more.

cowswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cowswithguns

Makes sense but i wonder how many people will look at the price and not care to think further and just not buy dlc or the initial game at all.

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By zonerover

This seems fair since dance routines are probably harder to put together than instrument tracks.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Fine with me! If the game is as good as I am hoping, I will have no issue with buying DLC from them.

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34  Edited By MaddProdigy

This game looks pretty stupid. Why in the world would I want to learn these ridiculous video game dance routines? If I could learn some actual say, break dancing, maybe sign me up. But paying to wave your arms at your TV, then paying even more money to wave them in different ways? Kinect launch is fail if this is their flagship title. I haven't really looked into that game, or seen any gameplay except for what Ryan was doing in the E3 vid and....wow who in the world would embarrass themselves by wasting money on this.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Heck, I think $2 is way too much as it is.

Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Nettacki
    @MaddProdigy said:
    " This game looks pretty stupid. Why in the world would I want to learn these ridiculous video game dance routines? If I could learn some actual say, break dancing, maybe sign me up. But paying to wave your arms at your TV, then paying even more money to wave them in different ways? Kinect launch is fail if this is their flagship title. I haven't really looked into that game, or seen any gameplay except for what Ryan was doing in the E3 vid and....wow who in the world would embarrass themselves by wasting money on this. "

You'd be surprised... Plus, this IS Harmonix. They're likely to turn any music game idea into a good one.
    zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

No comment on a song list, huh. Only six have been announced. Maybe this game will just revolve around Poker Face and Hella Good. Rock Band 2's set list reached something like 70. Any hope of this game being as high, or maybe just the low thirties to start with?

JustinSane311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JustinSane311

No thanks...$2 was the magic price for me...remember the backlash Guitar Hero received   when they were about $3 a song

TonicBH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TonicBH

Maybe this'll only mean a slight increase, like from 160 to 200 or something. Although I trust Harmonix to have a hefty song and dance list with enough hits, so yeah.

druid42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By druid42

I'm surprised that Harmonix is going this route.  It would seem to me that they'd have figured out that raising the price of DLC doesn't necessarily equate more revenue.  I'd think the $2 price point would be spot on and that more people would buy it at that price than a higher price, probably meaning that more money would be brought in overall.

opuelas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By opuelas
    @Ragdrazi said:
    " Well, this is a shocker. Bleed us dry mentality keeps on a'rollin'. "
    It's not a shocker though, that the ignorant consumer mentality keeps on a'rollin'.
    GozerTC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42  Edited By GozerTC

This is about the ONLY game I'm interested in on "Kinect" or whatever they want to call it.  That's not saying much since I'm not too ready to buy one at all so.  :p

Still IF and that's a big if, IF they do increase the dance moves and such with the downloads I'd be interested.  Also I would like a song list on disc that's worth the initial cost. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.