Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dance Central

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Nov 04, 2010

Made by famed music-game developer Harmonix Music Systems, this is the original dancing rhythm title that utilized the Kinect for Xbox 360.

How hard can it get?

kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kelbear

It looks like great party fun, but I know I'll need a lot of challenge in the game for it to have real longevity for me. 

I know it's based on a series of move-sets and so far all I've seen in videos are the easiest settings where they get people acclimated to the game. I wonder if the Kinect would be able to keep up with a rapid series of move transitions and still score things accurately enough to satisfy a hardcore following. Part of what made Pump it up and DDR so fun is having challenges to overcome. It keeps you playing long long long after you're sick to death of hearing the same songs again.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By zombie2011
    @kelbear said:   "I wonder if the Kinect would be able to keep up with a rapid series of move transitions and still score things accurately enough to satisfy a hardcore following. "

This isn't DDR, you'll actually be moving to the beat of the song, so i doubt you'll be doing crazy fast stuff.
    CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By CoolDrMoney

You'll need to be able to break out top level soul train on expert 

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By jacdg

See when I saw the title of this topic I thought of something completely different.
    It won't get that hard I think.

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zonerover

If that lady from the Dance Central interview Giant Bomb did is anything to go by, at expert this is going to get pretty hard. It won't be as hard as real dancing as ultimately all your moves have to be on the spot, but I think this goes beyond the original guitar controller in Rock Band in terms of applicability to real life.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By jkz
    @CoolDrMoney said:
    " You'll need to be able to break out top level soul train on expert 
    "
    *Sigh*
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

A lot of videos I see seem like they just use the same 5 or 10 moves over and over. I really hope there's more variety in the full game.

Domeuhlome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Domeuhlome
    @TripMasterMunky: They better 
    lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lucas_kelly

The more you beat the harder it gets.

TheH1ppo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheH1ppo

There's around 10 songs that get pretty tricky or just downright difficult on hard, they definitely take practice. I'll point out some of the more notable ones off the top of my head. Even if you see the routine in a youtube video thinking it doesn't appear too difficult, try actually preforming something like the Quick Step properly and on time while stringing together the moves around it. 

Audio Push - Teach Me How To Jerk: The notable move here is the Reject, a reverse-running man with arms crossed.  

Beastie Boys - Body Movin’:
    A Quick Step starting on the left foot gave me trouble. Heel Step hard to keep up with. 

Bell Biv Devoe - Poison:
     Insanely fun routine. A bit tricky to nail down but pretty darn easy after you do. 

Dirty Vegas - Days Go By
    : Extremely tricky. Very deliberate pace and features both a jumping move(Eagle) and a spin move. 

Eric B. & Rakim - Don't Sweat the Technique:
    Most difficult song in the game for me, hands down. Quick Steps, floor-dropping, Trick Steps. 

Snoop Dogg/Pharell - Drop It Like It's Hot
    : You must learn the moves or you'll be utterly lost. None of it seems like "real" dancing, but it's all rather complex. 

Technotronic - Pump Up The Jam
    :
    Song's nuts. Just watch.   

Young MC - Bust A Move
    :
    Same thing as with Drop It Like It's Hot, really. though it's easier and has enough simple moves that you won't be overwhelmed.  

Lady Gaga - Just Dance: What can I say, it's the last song in the list. 

Of course there's plenty of fun routines, just not all of them are all that difficult. Tricky moves are sprinkled all throughout the setlist, also.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zityz

Ive tried it. Get two people who have no clue what the dance moves are, put it on dance battle and both on hard. Super fun. It's tough because you really don't know the moves, but like rock band just takes time to learn them and its pretty forgiving.

TheH1ppo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheH1ppo

I prefer the approach where I get somebody who has no clue what they're doing, and then I proceed to mop the floor with them in a dance battle.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By MisterMouse

I am sure it can get harder... it can get pretty hard.

kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kelbear

I've got it for Christmas. Looooving this game.  

It's hard, but not too hard that you can't perfect them with practice, so it's just right. I'm pumped for the DLC. 

I think Harmonix have their work cut out for them on DC2. Game could really use some more features that spotlight where your mistakes were. A silhouette replay against a correct silhouette would be a huge help.  Really helps to have someone else in the room to give a second opinion on what the game is expecting of you.  

For anyone reading this thread because they have the same reservations that I had: The game is very accurate. I've found that everytime it says I'm making a mistake, it's because I'm actually making a mistake, not because it's having trouble reading my movements. 

With regards to Kinect as game controller, it lags slightly, but it reads accurately, so for a rhythm game it can simply compensate for lag and you can move naturally.. For action games however, you need to act just slightly ahead of time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.