Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dante

Character » appears in 29 games

Dante is the star of Capcom's Devil May Cry series and the son of the Legendary Dark Knight Sparda. He is also the owner of his own business as a demon hunter, stationed at his Devil May Cry shop along with Trish.

Anyone saying Dante is no longer cool in the new DmC...

• 122 results
    sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By sasnake

Ppl just need to find something to complain about, just for the sake of complaining. FOMG MAX PAYNE SHAVES HIS HEAD AND GETS A BEARD!!!! games gonna suck! Why, because a human character gets a hair cut? NO WAY!! hes not Max Payne! he got a new haircut!...wtf people, seriously! My hair changes every now and again, I sometimes grow a beard every now again, so why cant game characters get new hairstyles and what not? Pathetic. A character is now defined by the way his hair looks? You ppl arent interested in the actual "character" part of a character.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By valrog

@BabyChooChoo said:

Orange and teal. Again.

It's the most common combination.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#103  Edited By mylifeforAiur

I'm fine as long as the depth of the gameplay is on par with four's. I mean, I mostly button-mashed my way through the game, but I still appreciate that the game can offer such a labyrinthine combat system.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#104  Edited By Tennmuerti

I'm no Dante fan, but this looks even worse.

Avatar image for ultimatepunchrod
    ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@shinigami420 said:

@skadave said:

I am a big fan of ninja theory. . . never played a devil may cry game before, so i don't really care what he looks like now or then. I just have faith that they will put out another quality title.

HAHAHAHAHA not sure if troll

Enslaved and Heavenly Sword where mediocre andKung Fu Chaos was fucking shit

but hey not everyone can have good taste in games some like shit and some like quality and ninja theory aka Just Add Monsters Ltd is shit

if they're mediocre why did they get such high review scores and so many fans? i really dont understand the hate for ninja theory. i cant decide if people hated them before or after this whole dante business.

ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BabyChooChoo said:

Orange and teal. Again.

mo·tif

n. A repeated figure or design in architecture or decoration.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to expand on my thoughts, while he does look like a total douchebag I do respect the fact that he looks different as it adds variety to all those shaven-headed dudes. If his character is more of a prick then this is just good character design.

ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HandsomeDead: i was just talking about the angel pic. all the lady angels are scantily clad and seem to be very fixated on the seated Dante.

ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Milkman said:

I want to know what world we live in where this was ever cool.

DMC3 Dante
    DMC3 Dante

whats the word? oh yea. Opinion.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Catarrhal
     My name is Dante.
     My name is Dante.
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#111  Edited By jacksukeru

@ultimatepunchrod: I played Heavenly Sword a long time after it came out and I hated the battle system. I hated how you had to block by not pressing any button, and block different attacks in different stances. When something attacks me I'm supposed to go against my instinct and not press anything?

I also strongly disliked how little the difference was between having the HS and not having it. I flip around like crazy with the regular sword you are given at the beginning, I am then given the HS but don't feel any more powerful for it. Regular enemies still block almost anything I throw at them unless I go for some super long combos. Also almost no enemy variety, just soldiers, soldiers, soldiers.

There was also the part were interaction with the environment was so limited. I felt like I lost control everytime I pressed X to see Nariko monkey up a ladder, other games may not let you press up or down while on a ladder, but they can at least make you feel like you're still part of the action.

I felt the same way about the jumping in the Enslaved demo. It felt like instead of pressing X to trigger the jumping animation I had to press X while holding forward, extremely stale. That said I came into the demo knowing I hated Heavenly Sword but specifically telling myself I had to give it a chance. I did and found the platforming lacking but serviceable and the combat mildly enjoyable, so while I didn't end up playing the full game (yet anyway) I came away looking at it as an improvement over their previous game, gameplay wise.

The style of the new DMC hasn't bothered me since the initial shock went away, I've even grown to like it, but the gameplay continued to worry me for quite a while. From what I've seen lately I'm hopeful it will be quite good, regardless of whether or not it fully resembles the old dmc style.

Edit: I guess I should mention that I thought the characters of Heavenly Sword were good, if not great, but that they didn't make up for all the gameplay you had to put up with, which I, as previously stated, did not think was any good.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think they look pretty cool. Also, on a side-note, he doesn't really resemble the dev very much any more.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#113  Edited By CaptainObvious

I never thought he was cool.

ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RockmanBionics said:

@ultimatepunchrod: I played Heavenly Sword a long time after it came out and I hated the battle system. I hated how you had to block by not pressing any button, and block different attacks in different stances. When something attacks me I'm supposed to go against my instinct and not press anything?

I also strongly disliked how little the difference was between having the HS and not having it. I flip around like crazy with the regular sword you are given at the beginning, I am then given the HS but don't feel any more powerful for it. Regular enemies still block almost anything I throw at them unless I go for some super long combos. Also almost no enemy variety, just soldiers, soldiers, soldiers.

There was also the part were interaction with the environment was so limited. I felt like I lost control everytime I pressed X to see Nariko monkey up a ladder, other games may not let you press up or down while on a ladder, but they can at least make you feel like you're still part of the action.

I felt the same way about the jumping in the Enslaved demo. It felt like instead of pressing X to trigger the jumping animation I had to press X while holding forward, extremely stale. That said I came into the demo knowing I hated Heavenly Sword but specifically telling myself I had to give it a chance. I did and found the platforming lacking but serviceable and the combat mildly enjoyable, so while I didn't end up playing the full game (yet anyway) I came away looking at it as an improvement over their previous game, gameplay wise.

The style of the new DMC hasn't bothered me since the initial shock went away, I've even grown to like it, but the gameplay continued to worry me for quite a while. From what I've seen lately I'm hopeful it will be quite good, regardless of whether or not it fully resembles the old dmc style.

i see what you mean. i guess they didnt make the standard swords and the heavenly sword feel different b/c then you would have to re-learn what to do. but i disagree that you need a long combo for a b-b-b-block breaker. the easiest one is just triangle-square-triangle in swift stance (not holding either trigger). i enjoyed the platforming in enslaved, but it seemed very linear and overly simplified since the handholds that you were supposed to jump to were glowing. IDK i know a lot of people seem to dislike Ninja Theory, but I have thoroughly enjoyed both of their games (i didnt play the one they made before they changed their name TO ninja theory).

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Meowshi

Yo, can we stop pointing out how everything everyone is saying is an opinion. It's obviously our opinions, because we're the ones saying them; you pedantic fucking morons.

@vinsanity09 said:

@Meowshi said:

Dante was never cool. He went from one shitty design to another shitty design. It baffles me that anyone cares or considers Dante a visually interesting character in any way.

Fuck I hate Japan and its awful, awful character design.

edit: That first picture is an excellent piece of artwork though.

Dude, you have 1 716 posts on a gaming forum and you have a WWE superstar's shirt as your profile picture, you ain't telling me what's cool and what isn't.

Good point.

I just find his character design derivative of so many lame anime characters and tropes. The Japanese idea of what's "cool and stylish" is so foreign to me, and it baffles me that this character has managed to gather a following in America. The flamboyance, the silver/white hair, the attitude; it's all so terrible! I think his new design is vastly better, and it's still shit.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#116  Edited By OneManX

@GentlemanlyGentleman said:

@ModerateViolence said:

@TheGreatGuero said:

You know, I don't ever even use this word, but I can't think of a better word than "douche" to describe how Dante looks here.

Odd, I never really use that word either but he does look like a total douchebag.

Really? I was thinking complete twat, but that works too.

I LOVE DMC.. but Dante has ALWAYS been a D-bag.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#117  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Is that your definition of cool?

ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Is that your definition of cool?

cool isnt just one thing. i think a lot of different things are cool. fuck me for ever putting concept up on a forum ever again.

skadave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By skadave

@ModerateViolence: @ultimatepunchrod said:

@shinigami420 said:

@skadave said:

I am a big fan of ninja theory. . . never played a devil may cry game before, so i don't really care what he looks like now or then. I just have faith that they will put out another quality title.

HAHAHAHAHA not sure if troll

Enslaved and Heavenly Sword where mediocre andKung Fu Chaos was fucking shit

but hey not everyone can have good taste in games some like shit and some like quality and ninja theory aka Just Add Monsters Ltd is shit

if they're mediocre why did they get such high review scores and so many fans? i really dont understand the hate for ninja theory. i cant decide if people hated them before or after this whole dante business.

There was no trolling in my original post. It was an honest assessment of how i feel about Ninja Theory. Though I found Enslaved's action to be a bit uninspired, i thought the story, voice acting, and facial animations were the best i have ever seen in a video game.

There is one thing Ninja Theory does EXTREMELY well and that is character development, therefore i feel devil may cry is in good hands.

Avatar image for crash_billiams1985
    Crash_Billiams1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind the new outfit, or even the hair, it's just his attitude that leaves a LOT to be desired. This new "Dante" got into an f-bomb fight with a demon before fighting it. What happened to the wit?

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#121  Edited By N7
    @Crash_Billiams1985 said:

I don't mind the new outfit, or even the hair, it's just his attitude that leaves a LOT to be desired. This new "Dante" got into an f-bomb fight with a demon before fighting it. What happened to the wit?

You don't need wit when you got SWAG.
    Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Gruff182

This is the only DMC game I've had any interest in.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#123  Edited By kindgineer

I never really thought Dante looks cool, but I can't say I love the direction they've taken with this. The guy looks like someone who belongs on a different version of Jersey Shore. Let's just hope the game is fantastic so everyone can stop arguing about his anatomical change.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#124  Edited By JasonR86

People were saying that? The OG Dante was cool? Where have I been?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.