Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dante's Inferno

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Feb 09, 2010

Traverse the nine circles of hell in Visceral's action game named after the first cycle of Dante Alighieri's epic poem The Divine Comedy.

So the review's are in...

• 155 results
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By ch13696

and I cannot believe this. Now I'm only doubting these reviewers opinions based on the demo I played. Most of the reviewers are stating that 90% of the game is exactly like God of War. So I take it that the other 10% is the story? They're also saying that it's repetitive. Also there's only a handful of demon controlling in that game and when you do get to control them it's not long enough. 

Now these are just little gripes but when it comes to the score they're giving it, it means a lot. Especially since the developers bonuses depend on the metacritic review. I really want another one of these games. Well GiantBomb, don't let me down. Tell me what you guys think.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Binman88

I could care less what the reviewers think about it. I can't wait to play it on monday!

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By FunExplosions

Wow, a 73? Wtf, from both quick looks and the demo, I'd give it a 90, at least. Looks fun as hell. Unless we find out that the rest of the game is just a darkly stylized RTS.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By eclipsesis

I happen to love Hack & Slash games, so I'm not really bothered if its a God of War clone, because I'm getting them both. 

Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Shinri
    @Binman88 said:
    "I could care less what the reviewers think about it. I can't wait to play it on monday! "

*couldn't
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Binman88
    @Shinri: Well done!
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @FunExplosions said:
    " Wow, a 73? Wtf, from both quick looks and the demo, I'd give it a 90, at least. Looks fun as hell. Unless we find out that the rest of the game is just a darkly stylized RTS. "
    I see what you did there. You're comparing it to... Yes, I see it.
    Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Shinri
    @Binman88 said:
    " @Shinri: Well done! "

Thanks.  

Keep that in mind for the next time you want to use that phrase.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By jkz
    @eclipsesis said:
    "

I happen to love Hack & Slash games, so I'm not really bothered if its a God of War clone, because I'm getting them both. 

"
    This is my feeling on it; although I'll probably just Gamefly Dante, I'm excited for both, though significantly moreso for GOW3.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Binman88
    @Shinri:

Pinkshley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pinkshley1

The demo sucked, so why shouldnt the full game?

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Binman88
    @Pinkshley1: What part of the demo did you deem to have sucked? The whole thing? Not your type of game? Bad controls? Bad gameplay? Bad graphics? Bad characters? I'm intrigued.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Hailinel
    @ch13696 said:
    " and I cannot believe this. Now I'm only doubting these reviewers opinions based on the demo I played. Most of the reviewers are stating that 90% of the game is exactly like God of War. So I take it that the other 10% is the story? They're also saying that it's repetitive. Also there's only a handful of demon controlling in that game and when you do get to control them it's not long enough.  Now these are just little gripes but when it comes to the score they're giving it, it means a lot. Especially since the developers bonuses depend on the metacritic review. I really want another one of these games. Well GiantBomb, don't let me down. Tell me what you guys think. "
    The reviewers shouldn't have to (and I imagine) don't take the payment of the developers into consideration when handing out review scores.  Would you prefer they inflate the scores when they don't feel the game merits it, if only to give the dev team their metacritic-tied bonus?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Yeah, but everyone has an opinion. I gave WET my game of the year award and it really didnt score well with the critics, I really have not agreed on much in the past with them so I can easily imagine me loving the game when I get it on tuesday no matter what they say.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @FunExplosions said:
    " Wow, a 73? Wtf, from both quick looks and the demo, I'd give it a 90, at least. Looks fun as hell. Unless we find out that the rest of the game is just a darkly stylized RTS. "
    well, thats why you don't judge a game until you play it yourself.  

the demo fucking sucked ass btw, gameplay, graphics 'n all were terrible. ESPECIALLY the shitty saturday morning cartoon quality animation for the cut-scenes. yuck. and then hey check these titties wahhhhh
    PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PercyChuggs

I hate how, automatically, if a game plays just like a GREAT game, it's given a lower score. Sometimes I just want something familiar, in a new package. Dante's Inferno is this. I don't crave innovation in EVERYTHING I play.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RobotHamster

I was actually expecting the reviews to be around that much. There was so much hype around it, everyones expectations were set on a god of war level game but instead it turned out to be just another game.  Now Visceral can concentrate on Dead Space 2, hurray!

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hatking

I'll play it.  I really like the style of the animation, makes me think of Heavy Metal or Metalocalypse.  I'm really interested in seeing more of that stuff.   

Also I enjoyed the demo, it wasn't ground breaking but I never really thought God of War was the "end all be all" everybody seems to claim.  Being perfectly honest I don't see how this is any worse of a game... its characters are certainly more interesting... although not much.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Gabriel

Unfortuantly, Dante's Inferno has become a poor man's God of War. Maybe the God of War team will actually make Kratos go to hell which would be pretty rad.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jkz
    @Gabriel said:
    " Unfortuantly, Dante's Inferno has become a poor man's God of War. Maybe the God of War team will actually make Kratos go to hell which would be pretty rad. "
    Uh....he's been to Hades in both God of War 1 & 2. Of course, he never seems to have any trouble getting out, you'd think they'd tighten up security. 

Sure, Hades and Hell are not identical (come from different religious backgrounds), but they're analogous 
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By metal_mills

Man, there are some BADLY written reviews for this game. Eurogamer has 5 paragraphs dedicated to tits and 1up's is absolutely tiny and gives no indication why it scared only a C+ other than the level progression isn't great. I'll wait for Giantbomb, whatever they write will at least be of quality and give me decent in sight on the games pros and cons.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jkz
    @Metal_Mills said:

" Man, there are some BADLY written reviews for this game. Eurogamer has 5 paragraphs dedicated to tits and 1up's is absolutely tiny and gives no indication why it scared only a C+ other than the level progression isn't great. I'll wait for Giantbomb, whatever they write will at least be of quality and give me decent in sight on the games pros and cons. "

I haven't read Eurogamer's review, but considering the length of some of their other reviews, it doesn't seem outlandish that they'd have room for 5 paragraphs on tits while still covering all aspects of the game.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gabriel
    @jukezypoo said: .
    " @Gabriel said:
    " Unfortuantly, Dante's Inferno has become a poor man's God of War. Maybe the God of War team will actually make Kratos go to hell which would be pretty rad. "
    Uh....he's been to Hades in both God of War 1 & 2. Of course, he never seems to have any trouble getting out, you'd think they'd tighten up security.  Sure, Hades and Hell are not identical (come from different religious backgrounds), but they're analogous  "
    Hades is nothing like Hell, I want to see Kratos fuck some demons up and the devil.
    r0k1ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By r0k1ll
    @FunExplosions said:
    And a racing game, and an open world game
    nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By nick_verissimo

It's always nice to have reviews validate how we feel about games, but at the end of the day, they don't matter too much.  I'm still pretty excited to eventually play this game, because GoW style gameplay is pretty fun and having that in a different package is all the more appealing.  The only thing that would stop me from getting this game was the shady way EA marketed it, but at the same time, that'd be a pretty shitty reason for not getting it.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#26  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @FunExplosions said:
    This is why games aren't reviewed based upon demos.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hailinel
    @PercyChuggs said:

" I hate how, automatically, if a game plays just like a GREAT game, it's given a lower score. Sometimes I just want something familiar, in a new package. Dante's Inferno is this. I don't crave innovation in EVERYTHING I play. "

The problem is the game plays almost exactly like God of War without necessarily being as good as God of War, and its being released in between Bayonetta and God of War III.  The end result is a lesser game sandwiched between superior releases, one of which being a highly-anticipated sequel in the series that Dante's Inferno is copying so fervently.
    Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

I have to say, the game is exactly like God of War, maybe a little worse but... IT'S FUCKING AWESOME. I beat it twice already. Seriously. I fucking love the game. If you like God of War there's seriously no reason to not pick this up. The only real problem I have with the game is the graphics are kinda gritty at some places (but really what can I expect when I'm in hell?) and the fact that they didn't stray far God of War's formula at all. But the formula works and the genre isn't overly crowded so it's not so bad.

Then again I've been hyping myself up an extreme amount for GoW3 so perhaps this was just my way of temporarily satisfying my craving for it.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Yeah, IGN's review was pretty shit (the video that is). They hardly criticized the game at all and gave it a 7.5.  wft?

Eyepatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Eyepatch
    @PercyChuggs said:
    " I hate how, automatically, if a game plays just like a GREAT game, it's given a lower score. Sometimes I just want something familiar, in a new package. Dante's Inferno is this. I don't crave innovation in EVERYTHING I play. "
    So explain why Bayonetta didn't see a score drop when its gameplay is much like DMC or GoW.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jkz
    @Gabriel said:
    " @jukezypoo said: .
    " @Gabriel said:
    Uh....he's been to Hades in both God of War 1 & 2. Of course, he never seems to have any trouble getting out, you'd think they'd tighten up security.  Sure, Hades and Hell are not identical (come from different religious backgrounds), but they're analogous  "
    Hades is nothing like Hell, I want to see Kratos fuck some demons up and the devil. "
    Erm, I heard there was this king of Hades....no I get your point, I was just saying that if they WERE going to go to hell (Hades in Greek mythology), they have done it. I wasn't sure if you were talking in hypotheticals or wild-dreams, now I do. 
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32  Edited By KaosAngel

Is it bad I want this game to fail so bad, so devs never try to steal games again?

My other thread got locked on here, but go figure I was right...

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Gabriel
    @jukezypoo said:
    " @Gabriel said:
    " @jukezypoo said: .
    " @Gabriel said:
    Hades is nothing like Hell, I want to see Kratos fuck some demons up and the devil. "
    Erm, I heard there was this king of Hades....no I get your point, I was just saying that if they WERE going to go to hell (Hades in Greek mythology), they have done it. I wasn't sure if you were talking in hypotheticals or wild-dreams, now I do.  "
    Yeah they have to go somewhere after GOW III, why not go Judeo-Christian 
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ch13696

I take back the whole metacritic score and developers bonus thing. What I mean is that everyone I know already pre-ordered it. The sad thing is that everyone who is unsure has been mis-informed of this game. I believe since God of War III is releasing next month that Dante's Inferno should be this months buy. And if you have a 360 then definitely pick it up. I'm only saying that because theres no GoW III release for the 360.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35  Edited By CenturionCajun

So far it has gotten a 6.5 from Gamespot and 7.5 from IGN. While these arn't glowing scores they acknowledge that the game is good. However, it seems to be suffering from the same thing that Darksiders did. Namely that it takes so much from other games that you can't really say it's a unique product. Unfortunately in the realm of video games this means that you get penalized in your review score for "ripping off" another game. I enjoyed Darksiders alot and I'm sure I will enjoy Dante's Inferno just as much.

The Gamespot review also brings up the good point that in the latter stages of the game it turns into the challenge rooms from the beginning of Darksiders over and over again. I am personally not looking forward to playing that part.

Avatar image for hooligantuesday
    HooliganTuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By HooliganTuesday

It's out already in Australia and basically the game totally goes to shit about 1 level after the demo and quick look. There's fuck all variation in the enemies and the ones that you do have aren't particularly challenging, they've taken their combat system from God of War 1, instead of having the enemies be agile or challenging to fight they've instead just got 50 billion hit points each and you stand there just slashing away at them forever.

On top of this the game has an over-reliance on bullshit jumping puzzles over instant death pits, these aren't too bad in a game when used in moderation but when it comprises the majority of the platforming it just stops being any fun and starts pissing you off. What's even worse is during these sequences the game often likes to take control of your camera and zoom out to show you all the pretty things they've put into the environment, which whilst very nice, just got you killed because you can't actually see what the hell what you're doing while it's zoomed out so far.

Also if you are planning on buying this game you'd better fucking love QTE's, the game has a metric ton of these and outside of the combat ones to either Absolve or punish them every single one of them will cause your instant death if you press the wrong button, which means its back to the start of the QTE. The punish/absolve system is also quite interesting, in that despite all of the options on the tree the combat in the game is actually quite shallow and there's only about 3 or so attacks that you'll actually end up using, most fights just come down to spamming the biggest heavy attack if you're fighting one of the big daemons or spamming the biggest light attack if you're fighting groups. Add this to billion HP enemies and you're left the distinct impression that the game would have been better if they just started on a QTE and had you bash circle for 10 hours instead of designing a game.

This would certainly be the case with the Fraud level (seriously go watch the video it’s on giant bomb somewhere) You can quite literally see where the designers ran out of money and time and instead of having a stage it’s just a series of annoying challenge arenas, the kind of thing that Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry like to throw in as an optional extra has been inserted into the main game in order to pad the game and cover up that it was rushed out the door and they never actually got around to making the Fraud level.

People have been calling Dante’s Inferno a God of War clone, but that’s not entirely accurate, what it is a fairly shoddy God of War reproduction made by people who haven’t really understood what made the series good, and haven’t followed it’s evolution, so Dante’s Inferno plays like a shoddy knock off of God of War 1 with a lot more bullshit deaths from dodgey platforming sections or QTE’s and none of the cheesy fun that comes from watching a character like Kratos act like a hilarious spiteful and belligerent dickhead to ancient Greece.

Seriously, I liked the demo as well and I bought the game on the strength of it and the quick look. The game doesn’t live up to it’s opening.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ajamafalous
    @FunExplosions said:
    Too soon, bro. Too soon.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hailinel
    @Eyepatch said:
    " @PercyChuggs said:
    So explain why Bayonetta didn't see a score drop when its gameplay is much like DMC or GoW. "
    As similar in style as Bayonetta is to DMC, it's not just DMC in a new skin.
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TheHT

i'm calling it, 3/5 stars.

the game looks fine but besides it's really REALLY dark grotesque imagery (and on the other hand, boobies) it doesn't stand out, really at all.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By Jambones
    @HooliganTuesday: Thanks for the lengthy insight. I was a little worried myself about the depth of the game, especially the fraud level as you mentioned. I look forward to hearing the GB staffers thoughts on it as they generally seem to hit the mark in regards to how I feel about most titles.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hailinel
    @TheHT said:
    " i'm calling it, 3/5 stars.  the game looks fine but besides it's really REALLY dark grotesque imagery (and on the other hand, boobies) it doesn't stand out, really at all. "
    And the boobies aren't exactly erotic, unless you're into the grotesque.
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheHT
    @Hailinel: oh right i forgot about the whole nipples giving birth boobies. i was thinking of the chick you're trying to save. at least for a moment or two there's non-grotesque non-baby-spewing boobies. :\
    Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Quacktastic

DI looks alright but it's inarguably a clone, I could see how someone might play it and say 'This is the game that isn't that other game that I really want to be playing instead.'
    That, and also the English majors being kind of upset about the subject matter.  I could see how reviews could give this game some hell.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @Binman88 said:
    " @Shinri:
    No Caption Provided
    "
    looks great with the new white background. 
    fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By fripplebubby
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " @Binman88 said:
    " @Shinri:
    No Caption Provided
    "
    looks great with the new white background.  "
    I was literally about to say that. The hand is coming right out of Giantbomb... Sweet. 
    crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By crystalskull2

Just read Gamespot's review. Basically they said it's a poor GoW clone that falls apart in the last 1/3 portion.

Avatar image for hooligantuesday
    HooliganTuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By HooliganTuesday
    @Quacktastic said:
    " DI looks alright but it's inarguably a clone, I could see how someone might play it and say 'This is the game that isn't that other game that I really want to be playing instead.' That, and also the English majors being kind of upset about the subject matter.  I could see how reviews could give this game some hell. "
    The story in this is so terribly stupid that it's not worth getting annoyed about, although i did laugh my arse off at the Saracen who apparently walked from the Middle East to Italy solely to kill Dante's dad and then leave again.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MikkaQ

Are scores (or people's ideas of them) so inflated these days that people take a 70 as a bad thing? 

It means a game is good.  Not necessarily great, but good. Better than average. 

The hell is wrong with that? Not every game is a console selling killer-app.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49  Edited By me3639
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " @FunExplosions said:
    well, thats why you don't judge a game until you play it yourself.   the demo fucking sucked ass btw, gameplay, graphics 'n all were terrible. ESPECIALLY the shitty saturday morning cartoon quality animation for the cut-scenes. yuck. and then hey check these titties wahhhhh "
    Alright, we have a winner. Since you are an expert *cough Halo/mario/COD fanboy* how you would make it a better game, or better yet could you provide your own vision?
    me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50  Edited By me3639
    @PercyChuggs said:
    Bump.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.