Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dante's Inferno

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Feb 09, 2010

Traverse the nine circles of hell in Visceral's action game named after the first cycle of Dante Alighieri's epic poem The Divine Comedy.

So the review's are in...

• 155 results
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#101  Edited By Hailinel
    @ElectricBoogaloo said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @ElectricBoogaloo said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @HooliganTuesday said:
    "You're going through the Nine Circles of Hell, full of horrific demons and tortured souls left right and centre. What else could it really be other than a hack and slash? GOW takes Greek mythology and does the same thing Dante's Inferno is doing. These creatures are meant to be fought.
    Well given that Dante manages to get through the entirety of Hell without ripping the heads off anything giant nautical or otherwise in the poem, i'm saying that there's probably room for a non-violent game in there somewhere.    How about a dialogue based adventure game where your progress through the circles is hampered by deamons who unable to directly attack you in mediocre God of War rip-off combat, instead try and tempt you into taking the easy way when confronted with obstacles and so try to lure you into eternal damnation.  If handled correctly you'd have a game with sense of isolation and paranoia as you travel through horrific landscapes desperately searching for the woman you love, whilst various deamons both appealing and horrific looking give you conflicting advice which ranges between the helpful to inaccurate or downright false in endless attempts to trick you into damning yourself.  "
    But it's not an adaptation so it doesn't need to be like the poem, it's just taken inspiration from it with the characters and its dipiction of Hell and all the demon's within.  I'll admit an adventure could probably be pretty good, but not for the mass market Dante's Inferno is trying to appeal to. EA would probably never fund an adventure game, so if you're looking at a genre that sells, hack and slash is the best option for the games subject matter. "
    While at the same time calling itself Dante's Inferno, which is a misrepresentation. "
    Like I said - and what you highlighted - it uses the characters, so calling it Dante's Inferno is fine. If it was called The Divine Comedy you'd have a point. "
    Dante's Inferno is a specific portion of the Divine Comedy.  it's not a name that EA pulled out of their asses. "
    Yes, Inferno is the first part of the poem, it also means Hell.  I just don't see the big deal, the thing is hundreds and hundreds of years old. "
    It's age doesn't matter.  The game is a gross misrepresentation of the text. "
    So what if he kills the demons rather than just walking by them, that's not going to stop anyone's enjoyment of the game. Adaptations rarely ever stick to the source material and Dante's Inferno only takes inspiration from it. Anyone buying it either doesn't care or doesn't even know what The Divine Comedy is so there's not much point fretting over it. "
    Because fighting through Hell is not what the story is about.  It never was.  Taking loose inspiration from a source for your own material is one thing, but branding it such in order identify it with the source material is foolishness.
    SenatorSpacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By SenatorSpacer

I can completely understand why the reviews gave the game a low score, especially well-written one's like Gamespots review. Nevertheless there's something really appealing about this game for me, so I'll probably still buy this and Bioshock 2 anyway.

Avatar image for electricboogaloo
    ElectricBoogaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

@Hailinel said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @HooliganTuesday said:
    "You're going through the Nine Circles of Hell, full of horrific demons and tortured souls left right and centre. What else could it really be other than a hack and slash? GOW takes Greek mythology and does the same thing Dante's Inferno is doing. These creatures are meant to be fought.
    Well given that Dante manages to get through the entirety of Hell without ripping the heads off anything giant nautical or otherwise in the poem, i'm saying that there's probably room for a non-violent game in there somewhere.    How about a dialogue based adventure game where your progress through the circles is hampered by deamons who unable to directly attack you in mediocre God of War rip-off combat, instead try and tempt you into taking the easy way when confronted with obstacles and so try to lure you into eternal damnation.  If handled correctly you'd have a game with sense of isolation and paranoia as you travel through horrific landscapes desperately searching for the woman you love, whilst various deamons both appealing and horrific looking give you conflicting advice which ranges between the helpful to inaccurate or downright false in endless attempts to trick you into damning yourself.  "
    But it's not an adaptation so it doesn't need to be like the poem, it's just taken inspiration from it with the characters and its dipiction of Hell and all the demon's within.  I'll admit an adventure could probably be pretty good, but not for the mass market Dante's Inferno is trying to appeal to. EA would probably never fund an adventure game, so if you're looking at a genre that sells, hack and slash is the best option for the games subject matter. "
    While at the same time calling itself Dante's Inferno, which is a misrepresentation. "
    Like I said - and what you highlighted - it uses the characters, so calling it Dante's Inferno is fine. If it was called The Divine Comedy you'd have a point. "
    Dante's Inferno is a specific portion of the Divine Comedy.  it's not a name that EA pulled out of their asses. "
    Yes, Inferno is the first part of the poem, it also means Hell.  I just don't see the big deal, the thing is hundreds and hundreds of years old. "
    So what if he kills the demons rather than just walking by them, that's not going to stop anyone's enjoyment of the game. Adaptations rarely ever stick to the source material and Dante's Inferno only takes inspiration from it. Anyone buying it either doesn't care or doesn't even know what The Divine Comedy is so there's not much point fretting over it. "
    Because fighting through Hell is not what the story is about.  It never was.  Taking loose inspiration from a source for your own material is one thing, but branding it such in order identify it with the source material is foolishness. "
    The game has nothing on it that could relate back to the Divine Comedy apart from the game's title, and most of the people buying it probably won't even know who Dante Alghieri is anyway. I just think you, and the other people that share a similar viewpoint, are making a big deal about nothing. Why do you care so much what they do? Unless you have some strong connection to the book. I can understand people being angry about them re-releasing The Divine Comedy with the game's branding since that's retarded, but getting angry about them taking inspiration and using character names from the book, when they have every right to do so, seems a bit over the top imo. Stuff like this happens all the time but at least they're acknowldging the source material and getting people to take notice of a classic piece of literature.
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By CenturionCajun

It has been pointed out before in this thread but I feel the need to reiterate that anything better than a 5 means a game is on the "good" end of the spectrum. It's a functional and fun game with some uninspired and frustrating elements.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#105  Edited By Illmatic

I really wouldn't want people awarding high scores just cause they felt sorry for the developer or wanted a more polished sequel (though this does admittedly happen on some occasions).

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Hailinel
    @ElectricBoogaloo said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @HooliganTuesday said:
    Because fighting through Hell is not what the story is about.  It never was.  Taking loose inspiration from a source for your own material is one thing, but branding it such in order identify it with the source material is foolishness. "
    The game has nothing on it that could relate back to the Divine Comedy apart from the game's title, and most of the people buying it probably won't even know who Dante Alghieri is anyway. I just think you, and the other people that share a similar viewpoint, are making a big deal about nothing. Why do you care so much what they do? Unless you have some strong connection to the book. I can understand people being angry about them re-releasing The Divine Comedy with the game's branding since that's retarded, but getting angry about them taking inspiration and using character names from the book, when they have every right to do so, seems a bit over the top imo. Stuff like this happens all the time but at least they're acknowldging the source material and getting people to take notice of a classic piece of literature. "
    I care because I want to see game development evolve.  Too many games rely on action game mechanics with blood, violence, nudity and profanity, all for their own sake.  The Divine Comedy is a highly regarded piece of classic literature, particularly in its native Italy.  Rather than take a truly mature approach to the subject matter, they took the same juvenile approach that developers have been rehashing since Doom and Duke Nukem 3-D:

GUNS!

TITS!

BLOOD EVERYWHERE!

THIS GAME IS SO FUCKING HARDCORE HOOOOOO YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAH!!!111

M-rated games like this may be, it's about as far from actual maturity as one can be.  It's completely unnecessary and it needs to stop, or at least be reserved for material that's better suited to the games they want to make.  Turn Romance of the Three Kingdoms into an action game?  Sure, that works, to an extent.  ROT3K is a novel that depicts almost constant warfare.  It also works well as the basis of a strategy game.

Dante's Inferno, or any part of The Divine Comedy as an action game?  There's no basis for it at all.
    ElectricBoogaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel:  It sells, simple as. If you want original titles there are plenty out there but that doesn't mean every game has to be like that, some people enjoy guns, tits and blood and Dante's Inferno delivers on most of that. I'd love to see it handled with more originality and maturity but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy this game if it's enjoyable. Some times you just want to switch your brain off and indulge in some mindless killing and it's obvious there's a big crowd for games like that, and even movies. There's still room for game development to evolve and try out new things, and there are plenty of devs out there doing it - just look at the upcoming Heavy Rain or any number of upcoming indie titles. Visceral's strength is obviously in its action titles so they're playing to it.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Hailinel
    @ElectricBoogaloo said:
    " @Hailinel:  It sells, simple as. If you want original titles there are plenty out there but that doesn't mean every game has to be like that, some people enjoy guns, tits and blood and Dante's Inferno delivers on most of that. I'd love to see it handled with more originality and maturity but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy this game if it's enjoyable. Some times you just want to switch your brain off and indulge in some mindless killing and it's obvious there's a big crowd for games like that, and even movies. There's still room for game development to evolve and try out new things, and there are plenty of devs out there doing it - just look at the upcoming Heavy Rain or any number of upcoming indie titles. Visceral's strength is obviously in its action titles so they're playing to it. "
    It doesn't always sell.  Blood, gore, action, sex, if those were guaranteed selling points, many games that have bombed over the years would have sold better than they had.  I also enjoy switching my brain off to enjoy mindless killing; I am a fan of the Dynasty Warriors series, but that series has a better grasp of the context it's derived from than Dante's Inferno ever will.  Maybe I want to have my cake and eat it too, but I still feel that the criticism I'm leveling at Dante's Inferno is more than valid.  There are other stories that would make for far more natural action game fodder than what Visceral has chosen, and what they chose to do was a bad idea.
    ElectricBoogaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:
    " @Hailinel:  It sells, simple as. If you want original titles there are plenty out there but that doesn't mean every game has to be like that, some people enjoy guns, tits and blood and Dante's Inferno delivers on most of that. I'd love to see it handled with more originality and maturity but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy this game if it's enjoyable. Some times you just want to switch your brain off and indulge in some mindless killing and it's obvious there's a big crowd for games like that, and even movies. There's still room for game development to evolve and try out new things, and there are plenty of devs out there doing it - just look at the upcoming Heavy Rain or any number of upcoming indie titles. Visceral's strength is obviously in its action titles so they're playing to it. "
    It doesn't always sell.  Blood, gore, action, sex, if those were guaranteed selling points, many games that have bombed over the years would have sold better than they had.  I also enjoy switching my brain off to enjoy mindless killing; I am a fan of the Dynasty Warriors series, but that series has a better grasp of the context it's derived from than Dante's Inferno ever will.  Maybe I want to have my cake and eat it too, but I still feel that the criticism I'm leveling at Dante's Inferno is more than valid.  There are other stories that would make for far more natural action game fodder than what Visceral has chosen, and what they chose to do was a bad idea. "
    True, but violent action games sell better than any adventure game, and I'm a massive fan of them; Grim Fandango is one of my favourite games of all time.

And the story in Dante's Inferno is an original tale, written by Visceral. I've said before that the only things they're using from the book are the character names and the inspiration for the Nine Circles and the character design. I couldn't care less about the character names since the small cast are all fairly bland and it's not a particularly interesting story either, so the source material doesn't really make much of a difference in that case. I do, however, love the art style and seeing some of Dante's Alghieri's monsters come to life. For that reason alone I'd say it was a good idea.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Hailinel
    @ElectricBoogaloo said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    It doesn't always sell.  Blood, gore, action, sex, if those were guaranteed selling points, many games that have bombed over the years would have sold better than they had.  I also enjoy switching my brain off to enjoy mindless killing; I am a fan of the Dynasty Warriors series, but that series has a better grasp of the context it's derived from than Dante's Inferno ever will.  Maybe I want to have my cake and eat it too, but I still feel that the criticism I'm leveling at Dante's Inferno is more than valid.  There are other stories that would make for far more natural action game fodder than what Visceral has chosen, and what they chose to do was a bad idea. "
    True, but violent action games sell better than any adventure game, and I'm a massive fan of them; Grim Fandango is one of my favourite games of all time. And the story in Dante's Inferno is an original tale, written by Visceral. I've said before that the only things they're using from the book are the character names and the inspiration for the Nine Circles and the character design. I couldn't care less about the character names since the small cast are all fairly bland and it's not a particularly interesting story either, so the source material doesn't really make much of a difference in that case. I do, however, love the art style and seeing some of Dante's Alghieri's monsters come to life. For that reason alone I'd say it was a good idea. "
    Then why call it Dante's Inferno?  Devil May Cry, for what it takes from the poem, doesn't masquerade as something it's not, nor did Capcom pay for an edition of the poem to be published with their game art on the front cover.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#111  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @Pinkshley1: 

Here we go again: the misconception that a 7.3/10 metacritic score makes it a "bad game."  Do you realize how many more numbers are left on that scale?  Jesus I hate review scores.
    Pinkshley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#112  Edited By Pinkshley1
    @Kombat said:
    " @Pinkshley1:  Here we go again: the misconception that a 7.3/10 metacritic score makes it a "bad game."  Do you realize how many more numbers are left on that scale?  Jesus I hate review scores. "
    Hyperbole is my middle name, so I should rephrase my original post: The game does not suck, and 73 is indeed still a fair score. I'm just saying that with other triple A titles out, this one will probably be underwhelming.
    Avatar image for hooligantuesday
    HooliganTuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#113  Edited By HooliganTuesday

Dante's Inferno doesn't need a low score to be a bad game, it can do that entirely on it's on lack of merits.

Avatar image for aperturesilence
    ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#114  Edited By ApertureSilence
    @Godlyawesomeguy said:
    " Yeah, but everyone has an opinion. I gave WET my game of the year award"
    Yes, everyone indeed has an opinion, and yours is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!! 
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By jmrwacko

I think the low scores are partly political, because of the horrible injustices EA has done to Dante's Inferno with their advertising campaign (selling copies of The Divine Comedy with Dante's Inferno boxart on the cover, really?)

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#116  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Well, the demo gave me the impression that this game was going to be great, but these reviews seem to indicate that it's somewhat hit or miss. Some people seem to really like it while others seem to think it's just "meh...good". Having been a big fan of Visceral's last big title, Dead Space, I'll probably still give Dante a go, but I'm definitely feeling less hyped.

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Alex_Murphy
    @jukezypoo said:

"he's been to Hades in both God of War 1 & 2. Of course, he never seems to have any trouble getting out, you'd think they'd tighten up security."

It must be run by the same guy who runs Arkham Asylum.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#118  Edited By jkz
    @Hailinel said:

" @Hailinel said:

" @Hailinel said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @HooliganTuesday said:
    The game has nothing on it that could relate back to the Divine Comedy apart from the game's title, and most of the people buying it probably won't even know who Dante Alghieri is anyway. I just think you, and the other people that share a similar viewpoint, are making a big deal about nothing. Why do you care so much what they do? Unless you have some strong connection to the book. I can understand people being angry about them re-releasing The Divine Comedy with the game's branding since that's retarded, but getting angry about them taking inspiration and using character names from the book, when they have every right to do so, seems a bit over the top imo. Stuff like this happens all the time but at least they're acknowldging the source material and getting people to take notice of a classic piece of literature. "
    I care because I want to see game development evolve.  Too many games rely on action game mechanics with blood, violence, nudity and profanity, all for their own sake.  The Divine Comedy is a highly regarded piece of classic literature, particularly in its native Italy.  Rather than take a truly mature approach to the subject matter, they took the same juvenile approach that developers have been rehashing since Doom and Duke Nukem 3-D:  GUNS!  TITS!  BLOOD EVERYWHERE!  THIS GAME IS SO FUCKING HARDCORE HOOOOOO YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAH!!!111  M-rated games like this may be, it's about as far from actual maturity as one can be.  It's completely unnecessary and it needs to stop, or at least be reserved for material that's better suited to the games they want to make.  Turn Romance of the Three Kingdoms into an action game?  Sure, that works, to an extent.  ROT3K is a novel that depicts almost constant warfare.  It also works well as the basis of a strategy game.  Dante's Inferno, or any part of The Divine Comedy as an action game?  There's no basis for it at all. "
    Hate to jump into this two person bout of fading text, but I have to ask you why this particular game is such a revelation. Mainstream Game Development has been as immature as you describe it for a long time; why is it any worse now that they're using the name of a piece of classic literature for the title of the game? 

I absolutely adore the Divine Comedy, but I can't see how the making of the game is in any way tarnishing the original piece of literature. If anything, it's going to expose a wider audience to the book; sure, they'll go in expecting something different, and 8 out of 10 will put it down almost immediately; at the same time, though, those other 2 in 10 will have been exposed to an outstanding piece of literature that they would never have been exposed to otherwise, and that in and of itself does more good than the game can do harm. 

I can understand where you're coming from to a certain degree; if EA took The Brothers Karamazov (One of my top 3 favorites of all time) and turned it into a first person shooter, of course I'd think it was totally ludicrous. At the same time, however, I wouldn't be condemning the for doing so; it would do nothing to tarnish an absolutely brilliant piece of literature, and I'd say kudos to them for bringing it into the mainstream, even if their manner of doing so was less-than-ideal.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By jkz
    @Alex_Murphy said:
    " @jukezypoo said:

"he's been to Hades in both God of War 1 & 2. Of course, he never seems to have any trouble getting out, you'd think they'd tighten up security."

It must be run by the same guy who runs Arkham Asylum. "
    Ba-Zing!
    djstyles92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#120  Edited By djstyles92

I think it looks like a very good rental game...nothing more, nothing less

MrPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By MrPickles
    @Gabriel said:
    " Unfortuantly, Dante's Inferno has become a poor man's God of War. Maybe the God of War team will actually make Kratos go to hell which would be pretty rad. "
    Actually, the real poor man's God of War is the Ghost Rider game from back in the day. I shudder at the thought of it...
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By metal_mills
    This was written by someone else but I couldn't have put it better myself.

I wonder just how many people have actually read The Inferno yet constantly repeat the mantra of the game desecrating the poem.

Known as The Comedy (the word divine wasn't added until later) The Inferno, as some have pointed out, is only the first in a three part series. Simply referring to it as "The Divine Comedy" kinda shows how little people actually know about it. However, I digress.

The Inferno is mainly known for it's vivid description of hell and it's denizens and from what I have seen, played and read, it does an excellent job of bringing that vision to life. Personally, I think making a game that revolves around hell is an awesome idea and if your going to do it, why not use the best known depiction as your source material? Not to mention that EA bringing on Wayne Barlowe for the art direction who is widely known in artistic circles for his work on said subject, was a smart move. This kinda reminds me about all the flak Id got for making a game set in hell, something that Visceral takes seriously in bringing to life in their game.

Granted, it is going to be a disgusting and vile game. It's supposed to be. It's in hell. What other place can you think of that represents the most extreme perversions and vile things to be thought of to take place?

Lastly, for those who don't think it won't at least spark interest in the poem, tell that to my 9 year old son who although isn't allowed to play the game, heard that I was interested in a game based off of one my favorite literary works and is now enjoying a classic. It's hard for him to read-he is 9-but he is reading it. That is more than I can say for some of you here.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@MurderByDeath said:
    " @Godlyawesomeguy said:
    " Yeah, but everyone has an opinion. I gave WET my game of the year award"
    Yes, everyone indeed has an opinion, and yours is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!  "

How could you say that? *tear drops*
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#124  Edited By KaosAngel

So I picked up God of War Collection today for 20 bucks at GameStop.  

Why is it I'm having more fun with games that are five years old...than this newer next-gen game?  

Seriously, give God of War Collection the same graphics of Dante's Inferno and you'll see just how bad Dante's Inferno steals...plus EA were too big of pussies to use Religion and all the people who were in Hell inside the poem as a main point of the story.  The game is already not being released in the Middle East so EA should've just had the balls to make this a faithful retelling.

Fuck, I'm having more fun with two games that cost me $20 bucks...than a next-gen game.

I want this game to fail so fucking bad. 

Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Qorious

I thought the game was a good game. Sure it's controls and playing styles are very similar to that of God of War, but I love the combat in God of War and I don't mind having another game trying to emulate it and adding it's own playing into it. If it was me I would have given it about an 8.0-8.5.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#126  Edited By ImperiousRix

I've just always been monumentally put-off by the conept of the game; not only it's ridiculous "interpretation" of the source material, but the enthusiasm of the developers to inject so much of what they find to be "KEWL" and "GROSS" and "GNARLY!" into a game that, frankly, should deserve more of a delicate touch.  I always thought that the gameplay, as it seeks to emulate God of War, looked good, but good gameplay in the most unappealing of packages means relatively nothing.  Lastly, seeing the reviews as middling, only re-affirms my lack of desire to get this game.

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Bionicicide

Not much of a surprise to me; the 8 developer diaries had some mediocre level design and they recycle enemies from previous circles in later stages.

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#128  Edited By JokerClown88

The main insults levied at the game itself is the final acts.  The circle of Fraud is the worst part of the game apparently.  Its arenas that have certain "goals" that you need to hit.  Think Darksiders when you have to destroy the "eyes."  Fraud is basically 10 rounds of that, but extended.  I saw one arena where you have to hit a 100 combo.  Fun times right?
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Milkman
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By ryanwho

Can't believe this is surprising people.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Hailinel

GameTrailers has their review up, and it ain't so hot either:

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By ryanwho

Its great reading the comments. People seem to think the guy reading the review, the guy paid to read reviews because speaking clearly and articulately and naturally when reading is a skill most people lack, wrote the review. "Bring back the other guy!" 
    Precious.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Yukoei

Oh really? I never saw that coming. >_>

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#134  Edited By VisariLoyalist

can anyone say marketing dollars?!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Hailinel
    @VisariLoyalist said:
    " can anyone say marketing dollars?! "
    I can certainly say that EA spent far too much promoting a game that honestly doesn't deserve it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-64c89b592b282
    deactivated-64c89b592b282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 38

@JokerClown88 said:
    " I saw one arena where you have to hit a 100 combo.  Fun times right? "
    I have to question the developers decision to include an area that's one big arbitrary goal after another, players should want to hit a 100 combo, not have to.
    Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Zereta

Can't trust any Dante's Inferno score besides maybe Destructoid and GB. Wonder how they will score on those 2 places.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Binman88
    @JokerClown88 said:

"The main insults levied at the game itself is the final acts.  The circle of Fraud is the worst part of the game apparently.  Its arenas that have certain "goals" that you need to hit.  Think Darksiders when you have to destroy the "eyes."  Fraud is basically 10 rounds of that, but extended.  I saw one arena where you have to hit a 100 combo.  Fun times right? "

Fun times indeed. The 10 rounds all offer a decent, varied challenge, and though it's probably not the best direction Visceral should have went with that part of the game, it is certainly not a game breaker by any means. The best part about Dante's Inferno is the combat, so exactly why people would have a problem with this section of the game (that lasts about 20 minutes at most) is beyond me. 

@Zereta:

Destructoid's review is probably the most objective review you'll get, that closely mirrors my own opinion after finishing the game today. I had a blast playing through the it to the end, and I'm going straight back in for another playthrough. I think people should try and enjoy the game for what it is, without comparing it to the other franchise, or moaning about the treatment of the source material. 

ryuken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By ryuken

Shinri (77 posts) See mini bio 780 ACH / 15555 P

@Binman88 said:

"I could care less what the reviewers think about it. I can't wait to play it on monday! "

*couldn't

your a dick :D
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By ryanwho
    @Binman88 said:
    " @JokerClown88 said:

"The main insults levied at the game itself is the final acts.  The circle of Fraud is the worst part of the game apparently.  Its arenas that have certain "goals" that you need to hit.  Think Darksiders when you have to destroy the "eyes."  Fraud is basically 10 rounds of that, but extended.  I saw one arena where you have to hit a 100 combo.  Fun times right? "

Fun times indeed. The 10 rounds all offer a decent, varied challenge, and though it's probably not the best direction Visceral should have went with that part of the game, it is certainly not a game breaker by any means. The best part about Dante's Inferno is the combat, so exactly why people would have a problem with this section of the game (that lasts about 20 minutes at most) is beyond me. 
    "
    Its not exactly a boss run, dude. You're fighting mostly lesser baddies you can kill with a single button. Its padding, like the GT review said. And a lot of games do it, but most get called out on it and there are always people who defend it anyway. This isn't Dynasty Warriors.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#141  Edited By ProfessorEss

I haven't played it so I'm not gonna judge but you gotta know all these game "journalists", who probably consider themselves educated, cultured renaissance men and appreciateurs of the finest of written works have been chomping at the bit to tear this videogame a new one.

...but whatever, this one's always been in the same catagory for me: Rent, Dominate, Destroy and Return.

John316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By John316
    @jukezypoo: 

Lol, too funny!!!!
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Binman88
    @ryanwho: All I'm saying is that I didn't feel like it detracted from the experience at all. It's about twenty minutes of fighting dudes, only this time there are challenge objectives, and I enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed the combat in the rest of the game. I'm not so much defending their use of this mechanic, but rather defending a good game from being cast aside because of such a minor detail. By right, they should have done something better in place of it, but as it stands, it's not something worth worrying too much about.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Hailinel
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " I haven't played it so I'm not gonna judge but you gotta know all these game "journalists", who probably consider themselves educated, cultured renaissance men and appreciateurs of the finest of written works have been chomping at the bit to tear this videogame a new one.   ...but whatever, this one's always been in the same catagory for me: Rent, Dominate, Destroy and Return. "
    That's the thing.  A lot of the mediocre to bad reviews this game has gotten so far aren't attacking the lack of faith to the source material specifically.  The game is demonstrating significant flaws at the basic design level like filling the back end of the game with challenge rooms in place of creative and interesting level design.
    twillfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#145  Edited By twillfast
    @HooliganTuesday said:
    " @twillfast said:
    " It's funny how people deem games good or bad from having played a demo, or having seen a video of it. The reason why people review games, is because they can say how it is after having played the whole thing. "
    The game was released international before it got an American release, the people genuinely complaining about the game are the ones who've already played it and know that it breaks down into a horrible boring mess, reviewers aren't slagging it because it's a God of War clone, it's because its a BAD God of War clone. We're trying to save you time and money that you might otherwise waste on a shitty game. "
    I wouldn't buy this even if it got great scores. If someone makes a blatant rip-off of any game I like, instead of doing it their own way, they'd better get it damn right.
    Innovation is good. Execution is gooder. Both are important.
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I'll probably wait a bit longer than I originally planned before purchasing it, but I still believe I'll get a decent amount of fun from it.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By RsistncE
    @Hailinel said:
    " @ProfessorEss said:
    " I haven't played it so I'm not gonna judge but you gotta know all these game "journalists", who probably consider themselves educated, cultured renaissance men and appreciateurs of the finest of written works have been chomping at the bit to tear this videogame a new one.   ...but whatever, this one's always been in the same catagory for me: Rent, Dominate, Destroy and Return. "
    That's the thing.  A lot of the mediocre to bad reviews this game has gotten so far aren't attacking the lack of faith to the source material specifically.  The game is demonstrating significant flaws at the basic design level like filling the back end of the game with challenge rooms in place of creative and interesting level design. "
    Except those flaws only really detract from maybe 10% of the game. Overall the game is good and also quite fun. The game deserves a score of 80 I would say, which in all honesty isn't too far off from the metacritic average of 74. Regardless, the game is good, the level design is excellent, the story is fairly well done. The major issue of "gow clone" is what mostly got in the way of reviewers forming objectives reviews for this game, which is to be expected since most reviewers are fucking idiots.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Hailinel
    @RsistncE said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @ProfessorEss said:
    That's the thing.  A lot of the mediocre to bad reviews this game has gotten so far aren't attacking the lack of faith to the source material specifically.  The game is demonstrating significant flaws at the basic design level like filling the back end of the game with challenge rooms in place of creative and interesting level design. "
    Except those flaws only really detract from maybe 10% of the game. Overall the game is good and also quite fun. The game deserves a score of 80 I would say, which in all honesty isn't too far off from the metacritic average of 74. Regardless, the game is good, the level design is excellent, the story is fairly well done. The major issue of "gow clone" is what mostly got in the way of reviewers forming objectives reviews for this game, which is to be expected since most reviewers are fucking idiots. "
    Well, there's a highly subjective opinion if I ever saw one.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By RsistncE
    @Hailinel: Obviously it's subjective, but to what level is arguable. Either way the 74 metacritic average denotes that this is a "good" game, it's just that people get so caught up in numbers they decide that anything less than a 90 is considered average. It doesn't get much more ridiculous than that.
    Clembo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#150  Edited By Clembo

Can people actually rag on a game that copies GoW?  Isn't that a teeny tiny bit hypocritical?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.