Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Earth

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Sep 30, 1997

An early 3D Action-Adventure game that follows a young man named Arkhan through a steampunk Post-Apocalyptic city. It's notable for having full voice acting and some degree of freedom in the way things play out.

Have you ever heard of a game called "Dark Rain"?

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By galiant

(Moderator Edit: This was in General, found to be Dark Earth. Moved to that forum. We still can't edit thread titles.)

I remember playing a demo of it back when I was a kid, it must have been somewhere around 1998, maybe '97 or '99. I remember the name specifically because I asked my dad to purchase it for me and he brought back a game called "Dark Reign" instead!

Googling the name gives me nothing, I'm starting to wonder if its release was limited to Europe or maybe it was never released at all!

As a young boy I was intrigued by the setting, but I don't remember details beyond the main character getting out of bed and then sparring in some sort of boxing ring but with weapons. The demo ended with some sort of dramatic confrontation, or betrayal. I want to say it was a medieval fantasy setting, with swords and stuff, but I can't say for sure. The main character was possibly a guard, or veteran soldier.

It really bums me out that I can't find anything on it, I'd love to hunt it down and finally play it after all these years.

So has anyone ever played it or heard of it before?

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By tim_the_corsair

I came in here to correct you and say "Dark Reign", but Ive got nothing now.

Sounds cool though, good luck!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By galiant
    @believer258

Google reveals this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Reign:_The_Future_of_War

but that's an RTS in the future.

Dark Rain (ain, not eign) reveals no video game by that name. It's possible you might be confusing the above Dark Reign with a different game; that can happen.

I know that sounds likely, but I specifically remember the name because of the Rain/Reign mistake my dad did.

That game is going to haunt me for the rest of my life!
    MisterDunlap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MisterDunlap

I just looked through a good twenty or so Google pages looking for something that seemed remotely like that you're describing. It sounds interesting and I'd like to know more about it myself, but I didn't have much luck. I might try my luck at another point, but for now I wish you luck in your search.

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By biospank

the game is mech commander 2.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By shirogane

Your description reminds me of Dark Earth, came out around that time, so it could be it?

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By galiant

@Shirogane said:

Your description reminds me of Dark Earth, came out around that time, so it could be it?

THAT'S IT! I can't believe you found it! I wonder why I thought it was called "Dark Rain", since that's the name I gave to my dad...I suppose I could blame it on being 9 years old!!

There's the waking up scene, and the boxing ring with the weapons!

Thanks a lot, can't wait to play it now, hopefully I can find it somewhere legit!

This is so exciting!

@MisterDunlap said:

I just looked through a good twenty or so Google pages looking for something that seemed remotely like that you're describing. It sounds interesting and I'd like to know more about it myself, but I didn't have much luck. I might try my luck at another point, but for now I wish you luck in your search.

Thanks, I appreciate it! =)

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By korwin

There was once a weird group of people who were under the impression that Dark Reign was a better game than Total Annihilation. Those people were stupid.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By DeF

wow, this thread proves that people on the internet can actually be awesome!

@Shirogane: deserves some applause :)

MisterDunlap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MisterDunlap

@Galiant: Happy to help. I'm glad someone found it for you!

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By ShaggE

@Shirogane said:

Holy shit, I remember Dark Earth! I always got it mixed up with the couldn't-be-more-different Scorched Earth, and for years I kept looking for it under that name...

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Only problem with Dark Earth is I've heard it's not compatible with modern OSes. Think it requires XP or older to work properly. I played through it when I was a lot younger and really enjoyed the setting and story. I'd imagine the gameplay will be incredibly dated though, as the movement and combat was stiff and poor, even for the era.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By shirogane

Glad to have helped not 1, but 2 people remember this game.

This game might be perfect for a Random PC game feature thing....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.