Dark Souls II (Digital)

Avatar image for jamin724
#1 Edited by Jamin724 (444 posts) -

This is a couple days old now but Dark Souls II is up on the PSN here for the north american and here for the UK.

Avatar image for yummylee
#2 Edited by Yummylee (24646 posts) -

To preorder you mean.

Kinda surprised that it's actually going for £39.99 on the UK PSN store. A rare occurrence for any new game on there to not go for around at least £45. That said, I'm still getting a physical copy, as it's not only preferable but is also cheaper on shopto anywhoo.

Avatar image for timing
#3 Posted by Timing (635 posts) -
Avatar image for fredchuckdave
#4 Posted by Fredchuckdave (10205 posts) -

@timing: In terms of value I think the weapons are more interesting than having a cookie box; that said I already have one cookie box so I might as well get another one. Also maybe the guide page is amazing.

Avatar image for jz
#5 Posted by JZ (2343 posts) -

Pre-ordered

Avatar image for seppli
#6 Edited by Seppli (11232 posts) -

Ugh. I hate Dark Souls II. Purchasing decision-wise.

  • Get it right away? The weakest most crummy version of it for past-gen consoles?
  • Wait a month or two for the superior PC version? Which will likely be haunted by hacks, making it almost less attractive than the PS3/360 version?
  • Or wait for the inevitable next gen version, which isn't even announced yet? Which will be both technically superior to the past-gen versions, and likely be hacker-free? Certainly much more so than the PC version.

If only Diablo 3 for PS4 would finally get a release date, and that release date would coincide with the PC version, making it a viable RPG filler for Dark Souls II until a better version is being released? Or should I just get Titanfall for PC instead, which comes out the same day? Either way, I'd then be missing out on all the Zeitgeist of the Dark Souls II gaming event, which is not a desired outcome either.

Fucking Sophie's Choice! Just delay it and release everything at the same time. Thank you!

Avatar image for fredchuckdave
#7 Edited by Fredchuckdave (10205 posts) -

@seppli said:

Fucking Sophie's Choice! Just delay it and release everything at the same time. Thank you!

You are evil, forcing delays on people! You monster. Dark Souls turns people into savages! *steps on Maiden in Black's head*

Avatar image for timing
#8 Posted by Timing (635 posts) -

@timing: In terms of value I think the weapons are more interesting than having a cookie box; that said I already have one cookie box so I might as well get another one. Also maybe the guide page is amazing.

I might as well not have mentioned the Black Armour part, but the point is I much prefer owning physical copies of games to digital ones. That said, since the Black Armour edition comes with some extras for the same price as the regular version I might as well get that. I'm not paying €60 extra for a silly statue and a map though.

Avatar image for demoskinos
#9 Posted by Demoskinos (17325 posts) -

Huh so digital is cheaper? I might just swing that direction. Im slowly getting over the need for physical copies of games.

Avatar image for sterling
#10 Posted by Sterling (4115 posts) -

Thats bullshit. Why isn't digital cheaper in the US also. Total bullshit.

Avatar image for seppli
#11 Edited by Seppli (11232 posts) -

@fredchuckdave said:

@seppli said:

Fucking Sophie's Choice! Just delay it and release everything at the same time. Thank you!

You are evil, forcing delays on people! You monster. Dark Souls turns people into savages! *steps on Maiden in Black's head*

Be that as it may, but let's be honest here, if you had a choice day and date between past-gen and current-gen and PC, pretty much nobody who had the choice would chose to play it on past-gen consoles.

A delay would be the best for everyone who'd have the choice of platform. I don't want to sacrifice Zeitgeist for the technically superior -better playing- game. I don't wan't to play the crummiest version of the game. No matter how I look at it, this situation sours Dark Souls II for me. Bitter resentful choices are to be made. FML.

Avatar image for sterling
#12 Posted by Sterling (4115 posts) -

@seppli said:

@fredchuckdave said:

@seppli said:

Fucking Sophie's Choice! Just delay it and release everything at the same time. Thank you!

You are evil, forcing delays on people! You monster. Dark Souls turns people into savages! *steps on Maiden in Black's head*

Be that as it may, but let's be honest here, if you had a choice day and date between past-gen and current-gen and PC, pretty much nobody who had the choice would chose to play it on past-gen consoles.

A delay would be the best for everyone who'd have the choice of platform. I don't want to sacrifice Zeitgeist for the technically superior -better playing- game. I don't wan't to play the crummiest version of the game. No matter how I look at it, this situation sours Dark Souls II for me. Bitter resentful choices are to be made. FML.

There most likely wont be a next gen version. And if there is, it wont be anything more than a straight up port. And the PC version will not be a few months behind. I will be more like 6-9 months behind. And as with the first game, the PS3/360 version will still be the better version. As that is what they know, and what they have been working on solely for the last two years. Skipping those version would be the mistake.

Avatar image for yummylee
#13 Posted by Yummylee (24646 posts) -

@sterling said:

Thats bullshit. Why isn't digital cheaper in the US also. Total bullshit.

Say what?

Avatar image for sterling
#14 Posted by Sterling (4115 posts) -

@yummylee said:

@sterling said:

Thats bullshit. Why isn't digital cheaper in the US also. Total bullshit.

Say what?

Its 39.99 in the Europe on the store. Roughly $50 US. $10 cheaper for the digital. Shouldn't our digital be $49.99 then?

But never mind, I see the physical is the same price. Which is still cheaper than here. So my statement still stands. Bullshit.

Avatar image for yummylee
#15 Edited by Yummylee (24646 posts) -

@sterling said:

@yummylee said:

@sterling said:

Thats bullshit. Why isn't digital cheaper in the US also. Total bullshit.

Say what?

Its 39.99 in the Europe on the store. Roughly $50 US. $10 cheaper for the digital. Shouldn't our digital be $49.99 then?

But never mind, I see the physical is the same price. Which is still cheaper than here. So my statement still stands. Bullshit.

If all of the currency conversion things on the internet are to be believed, then it's actually the equivalent of $65.62. And trust me, the US are hardly in a position to be decrying about video game prices. Whereas just about everywhere else, even including Canada, are raising their prices for current-gen console games, the US is currently still staying on the traditional $60 price-tag. And this is especially egregious when it comes to digital, with most games in the UK at least usually priced between £50-£60.

Though digital prices have unfortunately always been like that. I can still remember the sheer horror I experienced when I saw bloody Fuse being sold for £60 on PSN...

Avatar image for seppli
#16 Edited by Seppli (11232 posts) -

@sterling said:

@seppli said:

@fredchuckdave said:

@seppli said:

Fucking Sophie's Choice! Just delay it and release everything at the same time. Thank you!

You are evil, forcing delays on people! You monster. Dark Souls turns people into savages! *steps on Maiden in Black's head*

Be that as it may, but let's be honest here, if you had a choice day and date between past-gen and current-gen and PC, pretty much nobody who had the choice would chose to play it on past-gen consoles.

A delay would be the best for everyone who'd have the choice of platform. I don't want to sacrifice Zeitgeist for the technically superior -better playing- game. I don't wan't to play the crummiest version of the game. No matter how I look at it, this situation sours Dark Souls II for me. Bitter resentful choices are to be made. FML.

There most likely wont be a next gen version. And if there is, it wont be anything more than a straight up port. And the PC version will not be a few months behind. I will be more like 6-9 months behind. And as with the first game, the PS3/360 version will still be the better version. As that is what they know, and what they have been working on solely for the last two years. Skipping those version would be the mistake.

The PC version is currently slated for May. That there isn't even an announcement of a next gen version is an abomination really, given the supposed ease of porting from PC to Xbox One and especially PS4.

I'm just saying, for consumers with the choice of platform, the way Dark Souls II is released is rather unfortunate. I hate staggered releases like this. No matter how I decide to proceed, nothing will fully satisfy. I have a preference for being satisfied. Why won't they satisfy me? *grrr*

Just delay the release, and then release everything at once. Tantric almost.

Avatar image for sterling
#17 Edited by Sterling (4115 posts) -

@yummylee: I'll show my outside world ignorance some more. Is the symbol you are using for the currency Pounds or Euros? I was going off the Euro conversion. I didn't realize pounds was such a big jump. About a 15 USD difference between the two.

I also didn't know about anywhere but Canada raising prices.

Avatar image for rocketboot
#18 Posted by rocketboot (143 posts) -

@seppli: Given the choice, I don't want to have to but a next gen console until there is absolutely no other option. They just don't appeal to me, and I only know one person with and XBone and one person with a PS4 at the moment. I'll stick with my past gen consoles and my PC thanks. I'm definitely getting Dark Souls 2 day one on my XBox and I'll be buying the PC port whenever that happens (I might wait for some kind of price drop)

Avatar image for canteu
#19 Edited by Canteu (2968 posts) -

@sterling: Believe it or not, the $ isn't worth shit compared to the £. Its about 40% weaker.

Also, that's a Pound.

Avatar image for jayeh
#20 Posted by JayEH (585 posts) -

Hmm I may be this digitally but that Black Armor Edition looks pretty good. I'm worried I won't get my BA Edition because Amazon still won't give me a release date on my pre order.

Avatar image for cloudymusic
#21 Edited by cloudymusic (1880 posts) -

I was hoping to be able to get a digital version so I wouldn't have to worry about discs, but the Black Armor Edition bonuses (e.g. case and soundtrack) are sort of hard to give up when they're going to be free.

EDIT: The US and UK store pages have very different descriptions. Does the US digital version not get the theme or digital bonuses? Strange.

Avatar image for jayeh
#22 Posted by JayEH (585 posts) -

@cloudymusic: US gets theme and bonus. Have to add to cart then it will tell you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.